Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is There Even Going To Be A Sims 5?

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    presidents are also humans that need the same respect, love and stuff, yet this doesn't stop anyone from insulting them or calling them the worst names ever. or celebrities, or anyone really. ts4 developers have public accounts where they share stuff about their job, which makes them a public figure. when you put yourself on social medial, you allow any single person to see what you post and of course, to judge you. this whole complaining and pointing all the blame on them is typical of human nature, the problem is not this community but society in general.
    some people has more respect than others, but statistically, bigger the game bigger the community therefore more kind of people.
    haven't you noticed how diverse this playerbase is already? the sims is pretty much a classic franchise. and as a classic game their developers should listen and understand people's high expectations. it's not my neighbor's game we talking about, it's an AAA title.

devs are the face of the game so people will just throw their complaints to them. though, it's pretty noticeable the one's to blame are ea. it's always the big companies and the money, electronic scams should they be called, given how little f#cks they give about the arts.

but developers instead of victimizing themselves, should also empathize with the community and try to not get offended. inclusion? inclusion is also understand that not everybody has had the same educations and morals therefore they will have very different kind of feedback.
    when they get offended they are just saying "we are right and you are not" which just causes more division on the community. i'm sure their job is not easy, i'm really sure they would love to do better for the franchise and they have good intentions but really, just telling your community they are "wrong" is disrespectful, not smart and it's just more fuel for community conflicts.
    yes, the community is as fragile as a glass, it's better to stay neutral.

we as a players should really understand that this community keeps growing, so there will be any kind of people.
    but you shouldn't carry the weight of devs problems, i'm sure they can handle this themselves, they are on a very important position and i'm sure they are already trained to handle these things in a professional way.

i know this wasn't my conversation and i'm annoying but i just wanted to share this @Babykittyjade we are all free to believe what we want.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    presidents are also humans that need the same respect, love and stuff, yet this doesn't stop anyone from insulting them or calling them the worst names ever. or celebrities, or anyone really. ts4 developers have public accounts where they share stuff about their job, which makes them a public figure. when you put yourself on social medial, you allow any single person to see what you post and of course, to judge you. this whole complaining and pointing all the blame on them is typical of human nature, the problem is not this community but society in general.
    some people has more respect than others, but statistically, bigger the game bigger the community therefore more kind of people.
    haven't you noticed how diverse this playerbase is already? the sims is pretty much a classic franchise. and as a classic game their developers should listen and understand people's high expectations. it's not my neighbor's game we talking about, it's an AAA title.

devs are the face of the game so people will just throw their complaints to them. though, it's pretty noticeable the one's to blame are ea. it's always the big companies and the money, electronic scams should they be called, given how little f#cks they give about the arts.

but developers instead of victimizing themselves, should also empathize with the community and try to not get offended. inclusion? inclusion is also understand that not everybody has had the same educations and morals therefore they will have very different kind of feedback.
    when they get offended they are just saying "we are right and you are not" which just causes more division on the community. i'm sure their job is not easy, i'm really sure they would love to do better for the franchise and they have good intentions but really, just telling your community they are "wrong" is disrespectful, not smart and it's just more fuel for community conflicts.
    yes, the community is as fragile as a glass, it's better to stay neutral.

we as a players should really understand that this community keeps growing, so there will be any kind of people.
    but you shouldn't carry the weight of devs problems, i'm sure they can handle this themselves, they are on a very important position and i'm sure they are already trained to handle these things in a professional way.

i know this wasn't my conversation and i'm annoying but i just wanted to share this @Babykittyjade we are all free to believe what we want.

You are not annoying all opinions are welcome 😌 thank you for sharing. And I do agree with many things you make a lot of good points.
    It's why I stay off of social media in general because I just feel it's not the place for me.
    My l💙ve for the sims have kept me here this long.
    And I really do enjoy discussing the game and getting excited with others. 🙂thank you.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2020
    One on hand, if the Sims 4 was worth it I wouldn't care if it was the last in the series. Just keep building and adding new stuff! But I hate it in comparison to the other games. It's the weakest iteration. CAS and Build is the best of all of them, but the gameplay. Oh god, the gameplay. I am so BORED trying to play TS4. Gameplay is barebones even after years. I really wish they'd scrap it and put it out of its misery already and work on a better system. Sims 4 being online and the way it was designed at the core? No way it would bring the depth of Sims 2 and 3. I have even glitches playing Sims 2 bc its on Windows 10 (the flashing/disappearing objects and walls, baby blue ocean) but I still play through it because it's just that much fun! And so much personality in my sims. I actually care about them. Even now I still buy Sims 2 & 3 expansions!! Ive never completely owned all of them. And they're actually worth the money.

On the other hand, I hate how this team has handled the game and the way it communicates with its community. I honestly do not trust them to make a Sims 5 that I would want. Is it because Maxis is no longer part of it? It's like the soul has been left out of the franchise since Sims 3. I'd rather wait on another competitor (Paralives) or play other games I love (Civilization, Minecraft, Animal Crossing, Parkitect etc) until I find another life simulation game.

At the bare minimum, these are the things I'd need in Sims 5 for me to be willing to purchase it:
    • Equal or greater quality of Sims 4 CAS & Build
    • Sims 4 Gallery with updates
    • REAL personality. Not just bonuses or boosts. Each sim should be DIFFERENT.
    • A personality system. NOT just traits.
    • Townies and stories with real lore
    • REAL consequences. Sims 4 is way too easy.
    • Memories. Attraction System, including their personality, skills, sexuality. Fears. Wants. These things HAVE to matter. They HAVE to have an effect on your play.
    • Create my OWN neighborhoods. I want to place MY lots. I want to place MY trees. I want to place MY mountains.I want to place MY decor.
    • Realistic. If im sick, I go to the hospital or make my own medicine at home (whether I love essential oils lol or home remedies). When I want to change my clothes, I need to shop online or go in person. I run out of groceries - so I need to go purchase them. I don't like how much instant gratification there is in Sims 4. I enjoy the time it takes to earn things.
    • Lifelong dreams and aspirations that your sim wants to follow. They get inspired by the things they do. (Like in TS3. My Son wanted to become a Major League player because the Father was one, and he watched one of the games. I got an opportunity to lock in that life dream. That lasted for a long time, even without me locking it. You can tell his actions actually made an impact on him). They cannot just change at flip or a hat (or easy cost with aspiration points). Make it difficult to earn or change them.
    • NPCS. Many of them, including a lot of the originals. Sad Clown. Ms Crumplebottom. Other classic NPCs. Don't forget the older games and spinoffs. Enjoy them. Make plenty of easter eggs but also parts of the game! Shouldn't even have to ask, but yes. Burglars (with the original terrifying Sims 1 music that puts the fear of God in you) Firemen. Repomen etc.
    • ANIMATIONS. I want my sims to feel real. Sims 2 had so many, and not had to deal with a lot of simulation lag.
    • A reputation system! If my sim is a menace to society, I want the community to feel that.

If this game was in my perfect world, it would also include:
    • Open neighborhoods, not open world.
    • Write your own bios for each Sim and be able to view and read them from another Sim's perspective. This helps me keep my stories in check.
    • The story album back from Sims 2, with an in-game spellcheck/editor, italics, bold etc.
    • An expansion that focuses on farming.
    • Required negative traits or personality aspects to make your sims more dynamic.
    • More options with pregnancy, babies, and that life stage.
    • Less restrictions with community lots, more options. Why can't I marry my sim at a bar? Who cares? Give us the freedom. Allow lots of types. Teen hangout, Black Tie, etc. Sims 4 has the right idea going with lot types with bonuses, but also, don't make it too easy.
    • Good black hair styles from base game. Period. Stop.Playing.Us. We are real people buying your games and we rock more than a Bob Ross afro.
    • More lifestyles options. More cultural options. I want my sims to be religious or agnostic. Faithful to mate or not. Give us the tools.
    • More romantic options with your mate. Not just a billion sex locations. Sweet romantic options. More cute family options. Really go at the core with these sims. Make them feel as real as you are.
    • Keep occults in their OWN packs. I don't want vampires stalking my family when we're out for a picnic. Go 100% in the occult packs if you want, but keep the fantasy elements 100% out of my game.

Otherwise, I'll keep playing the old games like I have been for the past 6 years.

Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    @Babykittyjade thanks. and same i too love the sims <3
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    I don't think Sims 4 is the last one because there's so much possibilities to be discovered that game as service can deliver to players... and with a monetization more fair than the current packs model (let's be honest: the game itself doesn't worth all the price tag, but this is a problem more related with the model than with so called greediness).
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,531 Member
    I'll ask myself that question after I am absolutely bored with Cyberpunk 2077. :#
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2020
    I wouldn’t bet on it. I certainly don’t feel a great deal of inspiration or ambition coming out of the dev team. Then there’s EA’s reputation for squeezing out every last dollar and the community’s continued acceptance of mediocrity. Add it up and the future looks murky at best.
  • Options
    playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited December 2020
    This is something I have been thinking about for awhile now. What if for The Sims 5, they drop the 5 and have it be a reboot of the original game while taking the most praised features from every iteration of the game? They can still do open worlds, but they don't have to be on the scale of TS3 worlds; a compromise for those that have strong PCs and weak PCs. Isla Paradiso had 118 lots while Lucky Palms had 96. Why not create worlds that are scaled down by 50%? You'll still have plenty of lots and lot to explore, but at the same time cutting down on PC resources if done right.

I love being able to push and pull in CAS to create Sims from TS4, but I would love the return of the color wheel, being able to choose roots, base, tips, and highlights for hair. An opacity slider for makeup, the option to assign makeup and hair for individual look or the option to apply makeup to all categories (having to reapply for every look can sometime be tiring). Create-A-Style in maybe a capacity that is PC friendly or bring back the swatch system TS2 had.

For me, TS4 feels like it caters more so towards building and not towards live mode. Why not create an equal balance? Also TS4 build mode has the most easy to use Build Mode and amazing Buy Mode.

Memories from TS2. Complex and dynamic animations. More stuff to do for babies, toddlers, kids, teens, and elders. Better personalities. Revisit TS3 moodlet system + combine it with TS4 emotions. TS4 vampires are fantastic, but TS3 vampires had the best animations. The hunting animation and transformation animation. Include a difficulty setting - Easy/Safety Mode- Sim's needs depreciate slowly, while Hard Mode- Sim's needs deplete rapidly (think TS1 needs).

More setting option. TS3 had options that allowed you to decide which occults you wanted the game to generate or none at all. Option to set the ages for individual age groups.

TS3 CAW was a bit complex, why not something a bit more friendly? How about the ability to clone an existing neighborhood, but empty? Allowing you free reign of lot placement and decorate the hood. Or from TS2 taking pre-existing maps and customizing it to your liking? And adding lots and decor and choosing the terrain.
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited December 2020
    Tantalus wrote: »
    I think it's as simple as this: if the sales keep going strong and technology outruns The Sims 4 to a point where the game can't keep up anymore,

Technology has nothing to do with anything. There are hundreds of games, it doesnt matter how old they are, if people keep playing them, they are never going to be outdated. Obviously people keep playing sims 4 and they keep buying DLCS and buying the game (for reasons i will never understand) so, no, its a complicated decision to stop "working (or whatever they call it)" on a product that actually sells no matter what and start working on the next in line. Again, if you tell me sims 5 is going to be a polished game, i will be willling to forget about sims 4. Its not going to be the case keeping in mind the road of EA and the devs till now.

I get what you're saying about timeless games, but if there are other life Sim games that come out with better AI and advanced technology (/better optimalization), I think there are high chances that people will walk over to those games in the future. If in 2023 the Sims 4 is still sticking around with closed maps and lots of loading screens while more and more games have open world, I think less and less players will stick around because it feels outdated to them.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,721 Member
    edited December 2020
    Tantalus wrote: »
    I think it's as simple as this: if the sales keep going strong and technology outruns The Sims 4 to a point where the game can't keep up anymore,

Technology has nothing to do with anything. There are hundreds of games, it doesnt matter how old they are, if people keep playing them, they are never going to be outdated. Obviously people keep playing sims 4 and they keep buying DLCS and buying the game (for reasons i will never understand) so, no, its a complicated decision to stop "working (or whatever they call it)" on a product that actually sells no matter what and start working on the next in line. Again, if you tell me sims 5 is going to be a polished game, i will be willling to forget about sims 4. Its not going to be the case keeping in mind the road of EA and the devs till now.

I get what you're saying about timeless games, but if there are other life Sim games that come out with better AI and advanced technology (/better optimalization), I think there are high chances that people will walk over to those games in the future. If in 2023 the Sims 4 is still sticking around with closed maps and lots of loading screens while more and more games have open world, I think less and less players will stick around because it feels outdated to them.

Yeah, the game has been going on for so long now that it has to start to appeal to people who have grown up with modern technology and all different kinds of games. I'm not sure what a teenager in 2020 would feel about the sims4 and paying $600 in DLC.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I'll ask myself that question after I am absolutely bored with Cyberpunk 2077. :#

Same, i probably gonna stop thinking about simming for a while when im busy playing that.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,721 Member
    edited December 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »

Same, i probably gonna stop thinking about simming for a while when im busy playing that.

Same here, I'm not so sure about this franchise anymore so I will be happy to play something else.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited December 2020
    I remember the same talk for 3 and 4, I've been playing since the first sims. I never really felt I had finished playing one sims game before another came out, never really played it well and thoroughly. and sims4 is the same, i still haven't defeated the monster in Strangeville, or got to any top level job. never got to generation three. so if a 5 does come out I wont be buying it, but I say that every time to. if 5 has no glitches or bugs, i will buy it, but every sims game had some glitches or bugs.
    i would like to place my own lots and the sizes I want, which one was it whee you could place even a small lot on a piece of land, ?? i would love to be able to do that again. I miss open worlds and I miss playing one family and the others haven't progressed until i play them. I can't get my head around rotational play when the house you walk out of will still gain new skills earn money while you are gone.
    But I do like the ability to talk and teach other sims new skills.
    Also the amount of money I have spent on sims4 is stupid, and sim 2,and 3. sims 1 was in a sale. Do i really want to spend even more on sims5 with all it's Eps and stuff packs, No but I probably will. :(

one last comment, personally I think we have far to many clothes, if they had implemented the colour wheel at the beginning we wouldn't need so many clothes. i want to get to the playing, not spending a lot of time in CAS trying to sort through all the clothes, now I rarely scroll down and think, yes that will do. i rarely take notice of the clothing, I just want to play. and is it me or has the sims day got shorter???
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I will say this, and I know a lot will disagree, but do away with Game Packs and merge the content with Expansion Packs. There was nothing wrong with the tried and true Expac/Stuff Pack formula they were doing with the last two iterations. Because they certainly didn't have to piece meal us content nor did they have to rip content from previous packs and add it to the Base Game. There was nothing wrong with the Sims Store because at least then you got to pick and choose which content you wanted in your game.

The ONLY reason why TS4 didn't get a Sims Store and why Game Packs supposedly replaced it was because TS4 didn't have it's own launcher like the previous iterations did to download/install SimPacks. Yes, even TS2 had it's own launcher (I think it still uses the launcher if you're running it Non-Origin version) Then again, SimsPack format was criticized for slowing down the game.

all-expansions-inc-freetime1.jpg

TS1 Sims have more personality than TS4 Sims and back then we didn't have Emotions, Moodlets, and Personality Traits. Tragic.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2020
    @playermarko456
    This gives me so much nostalgia I still play Sims 2 but I miss the website. Especially reading everyone's sims stories they posted on The Exchange! I even used to read the Sims 1 stories back on their old old website too.

get-cool-stuff.jpg

Here are some other screenshots I found with the wayback machine.

family.png

ginger.png

A shame I can't read that gingerbread story right now!!

I would spend hoursss reading all the stories people posted. I wish the Sims Team would still encourage this by having a website function to upload stories like they have with the past 3 games!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    @StrawberryYogurt Same. Didn't find out until recently that TS1 also had downloadable families like Valentino family.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Thanks for all the responses! The most delightful aspect of this thread is the respect simmers are showing each other, and I mean that sincerely. <3

About the only thing I respectfully disagree with is the part about Sims 4 being the buggiest. Sims 3 was the god awfullest bug fest I had seen in the sims franchises to date. Those who remember, World Adventures was badly bugged right out of the box, and it was the first ep of the series! By the time IP came along later in the series, it was horribly bugged and every one of the packs had some really bad bugs. This is when I was introduced to the MOD god, NRass was a breath of fresh air and a modding genius who probably spawned many excellent modders we have today. The only really good thing about the bugs of Sims 3 is I learned a lot about the running of a computer, for which I will be forever grateful.

When I think back to Sims 2, I do not believe I even downloaded a patch until the last sp, Mansions and Gardens. That was amazing!

I honestly do love playing Sims 4, and have a blast especially since skiing and snowboarding have been introduced. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2020
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    After reading Graham's interview, I'm getting the impression that the Sims 4 will be the last game in the series. I mean, how many times can you do Pets, Seasons, and all the rest to continue to make it interesting. Personally, I would be happy with more content and ditch Sims 5, so I can play with everything in Sims 4. I have a lot of stuff that I've never even done yet. So anyone else's thoughts on the matter?

I didn't see the interview. Don't know what he has said recently. But there is always a silver lining, you don't have to buy TS5 or whatever Maxis is going to call their new baby. I don't know how much more content one needs for TS4 to be up to snuff with the other three games, but after six years it would seem they've had long enough to make all the content and make it 'interesting'. TS4 won't be able to keep up with newer processors and video cards in the near future. It's built on an old Nvidia technology from 2006. I guess that is why legacy players had to forget about any recent packs. It's hard to imagine anyone would want to stick with a game that has very little to do in it compared to the other games. But I guess to each their own. Repackaged assets sold as new over and over within the same game, is not something some of us are willing to keep supporting. Seeing the same bhavs on an object just reskinned and renamed to something else is just a money grab.
    ETA:
    It's my personal opinion after seeing just a smidge of the posted parts of the interview, that sure they can keep going because people need more content (yawn) but should they? There is a matter of ethics to me. Their code is becoming spaghetti, should they keep pumping out packs that don't even work correctly on day one? I think not. Money over quality only heightens EA's bad reputation and now Maxis'. And like they said recently they are EA..so yeah, I no longer see the difference in EA and Maxis anymore. Poor quality games, bug ridden and money grubbers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I will say this though, out of all the iterations, TS4 has been notoriously known for breaking CC/Mods every single patch release. Don't think TS2 or TS3 ever had it this bad. I do have to agree that World Adventures was pretty bad at release. Crashing, Black Screen of death. If I recall, some Simmers had to even entirely reinstall their game because it was conflicting with awesomemod (it changes how certain game files work).

Every single Sims game has bugs, some more so to a terrible degree. To me, I didn't have nearly as many issues on TS3 as I did with TS4. TS4 has gone several months maybe even years without addressing/fixing certain bugs that are still present (tbh, I haven't played TS4 after Realm of Magic as that was the last pack I bought) and wouldn't know how many more bugs it faces.

The last bug I had broke aging for me and yes, aging was enabled in the settings. It completely wrecked the entire progress I had made in the 100 baby challenge when I noticed that the toddlers weren't aging up and the mother wasn't aging either.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2020
    Personally don't think there's ever going to be another sims installment, at least not as soon as most might think it'll be. Especially if you don't have a better engine to handle more packs as time goes by as sims games with different installments just can't handle more content. Just like any games that are big and bugs always happen. Last thing you want to have is high expectations and it's not what you thought it was going to be.

At the moment they should do more improvements for the base game than anything if TS4 is gonna be around for longer. Sentiments were a really good start with this and sims feel like they act more accordingly than anything and not feel so robotic. Improving on another life stages is another and I also don't mind if they go back to previous packs to make improvements on the features in them or adding features in it.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When anyone says (CEOs) they had, have, predict a strong finish that means the games are not producing what they had hoped. In the last meeting with share holders, the CEO said they had a strong finish for the quarter. Companies predict what will sell and tell their share holders to expect this or that. When they say 'strong' it means they did OK. Nothing spectacular. You can come in second with a strong finish. That doesn't mean you won or met your projected income for a quarter. Strong means you barely nailed it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,531 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses! The most delightful aspect of this thread is the respect simmers are showing each other, and I mean that sincerely. <3

About the only thing I respectfully disagree with is the part about Sims 4 being the buggiest. Sims 3 was the god awfullest bug fest I had seen in the sims franchises to date. Those who remember, World Adventures was badly bugged right out of the box, and it was the first ep of the series! By the time IP came along later in the series, it was horribly bugged and every one of the packs had some really bad bugs. This is when I was introduced to the MOD god, NRass was a breath of fresh air and a modding genius who probably spawned many excellent modders we have today. The only really good thing about the bugs of Sims 3 is I learned a lot about the running of a computer, for which I will be forever grateful.

When I think back to Sims 2, I do not believe I even downloaded a patch until the last sp, Mansions and Gardens. That was amazing!

I honestly do love playing Sims 4, and have a blast especially since skiing and snowboarding have been introduced. <3

Yeah, NRaas pretty much saved the game for me.
    One: Story progression. I hated EA's story progression would do to households. It was terrible for a rotational player.
    NRaas' mods allowed me to protect important sims from story progression changes.

Two: Game maintenance. His mods would fix problems that the game created.

I agree about World Adventures.
    I loved the EP, but it would really mess up my game. I would be playing wonderful games, but it would bug out when I sent them on an adventure.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    To me, when I compare TS4 Packs to TS3 or even TS2, it feels like quantity vs quality. Yes, TS4 has the most packs when you compare it to TS3 or TS2, however, while TS3 and TS2 have the least amount of packs, they are most qualitative and feel more fleshed out and complete. Something that TS4 has been known for; they'll have a great concept, but the execution falls flat.

To me, TS4 feels like a building/set simulator rather than a life simulator. TS4 has the best Build/Buy Mode, but the gameplay falls flat. The Sims themselves behave like puppets/robots.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    To me, when I compare TS4 Packs to TS3 or even TS2, it feels like quantity vs quality. Yes, TS4 has the most packs when you compare it to TS3 or TS2, however, while TS3 and TS2 have the least amount of packs, they are most qualitative and feel more fleshed out and complete. Something that TS4 has been known for; they'll have a great concept, but the execution falls flat.

To me, TS4 feels like a building/set simulator rather than a life simulator. TS4 has the best Build/Buy Mode, but the gameplay falls flat. The Sims themselves behave like puppets/robots.

This is exactly how I feel as well. It doesn't help that most of the free updates we get have more to do with build/buy and occasionally CAS, but rarely do we get free gameplay updates...

TS4 manages to break down and split up expansion packs from previous generations to make more money off of us, but also manages to give us even less substantial content than we've gotten in TS2 and 3 even though the "purpose" of splitting it up was so they could flesh out those aspects more. The only thing I'll give them credit for splitting up and improving upon are vampires. I DO think they are very well done. But for basically everything else, it just seems like an excuse to get more money out of us. Not to actually have room to innovate...

At first I thought game packs were going to be a cool addition, again especially since I liked how they did vampires and that was an early game pack so it set up expectations. Now I feel like they don't even really understand the difference between expansions and game packs. They try to do too much in game packs so it falls flat, and they don't do as much in expansions anymore which makes them feel like they should be game packs (looking at you Island Living and Snow Escape...). I think at this point they need to have some ground rules for what makes a pack worthy of an expansion, because honestly it doesn't feel like they do anymore... I expect expansions to fill out gameplay across any and all packs and worlds (like seasons or pets). I expect game packs to be more of a confined experience (like Jungle Adventure and yes even Snowy Escape).

TS4 honestly feels like it doesn't even know or care what it's doing anymore...
  • Options
    GuillaumeSnowGuillaumeSnow Posts: 87 Member
    edited December 2020
    It's not a EA exclusive thing to keep the same game alive longer, look at Rockstar and GTA V. That was not possible back in Sims 2 and 3 days because the concept of live service is recent thing and better internet was necessary at the time. Maxis is obviously trying to follow the "Minecraft formula" here, that game was released in 2011 and they release new content for the same base game ever since.

The Sims 4 is behind compared to other live service produts because they work on paid content along free content, i honestly think they should focus on the free updates, specially now that we have all the EP basics covered.