Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening - what do you plant?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited November 2020
    Miss V (my simself) got a citrus tree and a mandrake plant. Soon an apple tree
    I transformed the Palm tree garden of Lucky Palms into a public food garden as we got in the sims 4 I really like this idea.
    What I wished to have is more harvestable really even though I downloaded everything's possible.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Seahorses are worth over $1000 each, and if your sim has the suave seller LTR and sells them at the consignment shop, they can make over $2000 each for them. It can take several days to generate new ones, but the special plants don't produce much faster, and are worth a lot less.
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Ah, good to know about those seahorses. That's a much more relaxed approach to money-making then, as long as you get hold of those seahorses. The setup I used a few posts back allows for several harvests per day even from special plants, but it's still quite a bit busier. Also, I have the impression the game doesn't really like to have to deal with huge amounts of objects, and you easily get your harvested goods into the thousands that way.

The economics of the game are quite weird, anyway. If I have sims that I care about who near bankruptcy, I usually send them to collect gems or, even better, minor pets. Whenever SP pushes them to do that, they get rich quickly.
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    @IreneSwift Thanks. I'll have to watch for seahorses on my one save i haven't played in a while that has diving spots. What IP spawner are they from if my sims don't find any?
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    @Turjan - Thanks, and you’re welcome. :)

Speaking of mod links and gardening-related things... meet the omni plant’s quirky cousin, The Chef’s Plant .

:lol:
    chefplant.jpg
    Fun way to collect random, edible harvestables without traveling.

@rubyskywalker - Breeding fish in aquariums can be quite lucrative and is a nearly effortless source of income after you get things rolling. A Sim with the science skill who is able to clone fish from samples using the Uni research station is one way to accelerate the start-up process. Feeding fish to omni plants is another. Fishing from home ponds after you’ve caught 10 fish of that type is also an option. My chosen method varies depending on the Sim, the world and what fish I plan to breed.

Perfect quality fish will be worth the most. If you have only perfect quality breeders in the aquariums, all fish born in captivity will be perfect specimens as well. Fish of identical weight will also breed more fish of that same weight. Heavier fish are worth more. So ideally, you’d want to breed the heaviest perfect quality fish of your chosen species.

The most valuable fish are seahorses. Deathfish come in second, and eels are third.

Selling your fish through the consignment store (rather than via the personal inventory or at the grocery store) will maximize your earnings.

To illustrate, here are results from a quick test with a Sim who has the born salesman trait, the suave seller LTR, has all the consignment skill challenges completed, and sold the fish on the same day they were consigned:

Perfect quality 10kg Eels
    Personal inventory - §875 each
    Grocery store - §1106 each
    Consignment store – max §2052 each

Perfect quality 80kg Deathfish
    Personal inventory - §1000 each
    Grocery store - §1264 each
    Consignment store – max §2346 each

Perfect quality 2kg Seahorses
    Personal inventory - §1250 each
    Grocery store - §1581 each
    Consignment store – max §2932 each

Tuning the aquarium makes fish breeding even more viable as a moneymaker. There’s this mod, which also eliminates the need to feed the fish, clean the tank, and keeps predator fish from eating each other in addition to increasing the max tank cap from 6 to 30. You can also tweak things yourself using NRaas Retuner.
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited November 2020
    I wish to steal all the plants here for my sim families. :blush: Especially the university herbs and alchemy ingredients which I rarely plant. :D I’m tired of making nectar, currently owning only a couple of French grapes, that’s all. It was hell when my sim created about 400 nectar bottles. I’m the same as others. I plant only one each, just for cooking and feeding my sims. Even though I own a small garden, my sims all completed up to omni opportunity. That”s all. After that, I never order omni seeds. :D

@starguru Can I ask what graphics card are you using? The screenshot looks bright and sharp. I want to change my graphics card.
    Post edited by Jeansoo on
  • Options
    Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    edited December 2020
    srpfVjg.jpg
    What a good idea for a thread. I love gardening in this game and every sim I play has a garden. Usually a small one to support cooking or alchemy. I took this screenshot of my sim's new house which shows his current garden. I have cheese, garlic, onion, and tomato plants for my pizza oven. Wolfsbane flower, and some mushrooms for potions. This time around, I'm finally using the Nectar making skill so I also have two life fruit plants, two flame fruits, a cherry tree, an apple tree, and all the wine making grapes. Nector making is one of the more rewarding things I've done in this game.

I did some research on nectar blends that would give all four moodlets but without the age reversing effects. I found some blends on various forums but they weren't quite what I was looking for so I set out to make the blends I wanted and I'm pleased with the result. Maybe these recipes have been dreamed up and not shared (or I just missed 'em) but I had a lot of fun discovering them and wanted to share them here. My sim's product line is called Punkland. These are all 'Amazing' blends.

White: 3 Flame Fruit, 1 Life Fruit, 4 Renoit, 2 Cherimola Blan
    Red: 3 Flame Fruit, 1 Life Fruit, 3 Gralladina Fran, 3 Meloire
    Cherry Bomb: 3 Flame Fruit, 1 Life Fruit, 2 Cherimola Blan, 2 Cherry, 2 Cranerlet Nuala
    Witchapple: 3 Flame Fruit, 1 Life Fruit, 2 Apple, 2 Renoit, 1 Cherimola Blan, 1 Meloire
    Special Blend: 3 Flame Fruit, 1 Life Fruit, 2 Cranerlet Nuala, 1 Avornalino, 1 Cherimola Blan, 1 Gralladina Fran, 1 Renoit

Reserve: 3 Flame Fruit, 6 Life Fruit, 1 Cherimola Blan (got this one from the wiki. All moods, expensive. And this one does have age reversing effects so I rarely drink it. I store it to give it away as family heirlooms.)

Edit: I made a plum nectar! 3 Flame fruit, 1 Life fruit, 4 Plums, 1 Avornalino, 1 Cherimola Blan

@Amphora The picture of your carefully crafted scene faking hard garden work made me laugh out loud :D
    Post edited by Satanu_Reeves on
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited December 2020
    The humble harvest stands have all sorts of harvestables and skill books. This includes world adventure plants and hard to find mushrooms. I place 4 at my greenhouse lot and send my sims there to look for exotic harvestables. They work like consignment stores. My sims usually consign harvestables but also have consigned seeds and fish. They usually get huge bonus payments when they sell. But when they buy they get a negative ripped off moodlet.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @starguru Very useful post again. I added a basement to the house I'm currently playing in, and now I started my first aquariums, just to try them out. I just need some better fish for the next batch.
    AgySPxw.jpg
    I always found it funny that that aquarium is part of a kitchen set, but in the end, it makes sense. I need a house with a bigger kitchen to have those lobsters and salmon next to the stove :smiley: .
    And the new garden is on the opposite side (nothing planted yet), together with a wine maker. The second floor bedroom is now reserved for trees :lol: (yay for friezes).

@Satanu_Reeves Nice Moonlight Falls mini-garden :smile: . And thank you very much for those recipes. I'll try to stick to some that won't need any tree fruit, given my current garden is in a one-story basement (a pity the house can't fit ITF elevators without a complete remodel), so I want to keep it low profile. Looks like four of those recipes fit the bill :smile: .

@Karritz I have never used those humble harvest stands, but that sounds like a very useful feature. Hmm. I should try those in a world that's a bit more fitting (playing in Bridgeport at the moment).

Post edited by Turjan on
  • Options
    @Turjan - Thanks. :)

LOL, yes it makes perfect sense... steam your fish straight from your steampunk kitchen aquarium. ;)

IKR? Trying to add all the extra cooking/canning/baking appliances as well as those deathfish/salmon/lobster tanks in a kitchen can be a challenge. My Sim kitchens have only gotten bigger and bigger over the years. :lol: I’ve taken to making large storage pantries next to the kitchen, or a set of stairs nearby that leads into basement/root cellar storage. It isn’t unusual for me to have more basement space now than finished above grade square footage. :p And yet, there are still aquariums all over the place! :joy:

But OFC! What Sim wouldn’t love having the spare bedroom used as a refuge for fruit trees?! :lol: And friezes to keep those trees inside and away from winter freezes... perfect! :p
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    @starguru Can I ask what graphics card are you using? The screenshot looks bright and sharp. I want to change my graphics card.
    @Jeansoo – Sure, although I doubt it will be of much help since it is old tech. In order to avoid the plague that is Win 10, I’ve kept TS3 on my old 2010 Win 7 desktop with minimal upgrades; the GPU is an “ancient” (2012) NVidia GeForce GTX 660. :mrgreen:

But I do use lighting mods, so you might be noticing that? The one used in most of my screenshots in this thread is here: https://nilxis.tumblr.com/post/146704527436/uranesian-weather-this-is-the-weather-ive-created
  • Options
    @Turjan Glad you like them :) Maybe if you ever get omni plants, that can fix the tree fruit issue. Does your sim have a job? I'm not sure if that has anything to do with you not getting the opportunity but most of my sims are unemployed and my only sims that got the opportunities that unlock omni plants were my few sims that were employed. Maybe it's just a coincidence...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @starguru
    Ahh Geforce! I prefer Geforce in my taste. I'd love to change my radeon graphics card to Geforce. Thanks. :) I have that l have that lighting mod too, but I don't see your bright and better graphics in my game. It could be from the graphics card. Thanks. :)

@Turjan Mostly I create a pond and stock the lobsters, salmons and tunas separately. I caught 2 sea horses and they are in the aquarium as they are really rare to find underwater. :) It's easier to handle many fishes in ONE aquarium to me.

@Satanu_Reeves I love your house. I can't build the house like that. Always modern house. :D Because I still can't find out how to use the roof tool properly. I always use Auto roof. T_T
  • Options
    @Jeansoo I can't build like that either :D I've never been good at it. I can remodel and decorate but I have a hard time doing anything from scratch. I took this house from a custom town called Strawberry Acres. There's a lot of lovely houses there.
  • Options
    @Satanu_Reeves Ahhh...It was pre built house in custom world? Yes it's so beautiful. :D Another reason I can't build the houses like that because I want the bright house with large windows but I can't use them on that type of houses. But looks gorgeous! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I took a couple of screenshots of my garden.

5.png

This is my indoor garden. Yeah I know it doesn't look good but I'm not good at building gardens.:) My wizard sim doesn't have love outdoor trait but wonder why he wants to play with sprinkler. Anyway, my plumbot is looking after his garden.

6.png

I built the garden in 2 storage without floor tile, so that I can grow trees as well. The reason I placed the burglar alarm is because sometimes Burglar invades this 2nd home lot. My sims cannot fight against him in the 2nd home lot. so I had to place this alarm for just in case.

7.png
    I placed the alchemy station underneath the garden as I don't like to get insects or metals at my main home lot. Usually my sims make elixirs here.

8.png

The big one is their main house, and this garden lot is separate. :blush: The plumbot cannot plant the cheese, egg, steak and burger patty as he didn't meet the opportunity yet. So my wizard sim plants them instead of the plumbot, then he looks after the garden. :) Usually I don't feel like selling the fruit and vegetables, so I stored them all in the treasure chests. :)

• Options
    edited December 2020
    starguru wrote: »
    But OFC! What Sim wouldn’t love having the spare bedroom used as a refuge for fruit trees?! :lol: And friezes to keep those trees inside and away from winter freezes... perfect! :p
    Eh, spare bedroom, yes, of course. Definitely not the master bedroom, no. That would be crazy, right? *cough*
    Then again, waking up to the gentle buzz of fruit flies in the morning and watching a stray snail make its way across your bed sheets makes you feel one with nature in completely new ways :smile: .

@Satanu_Reeves Yes, my sims usually have jobs, but most have that many skills that the opportunities spread out, and if I get them, they break at some point. Hmm, omni plants seem to be the solution to many issues :smiley:

@Jeansoo Yes, ponds have been my "go to" procedure until now. At the moment, I had tried out someone's Tempest settings, and the ponds are frozen over nearly three quarters of the year, which makes things unpleasant. I'll eventually change those settings, but for the time being, I was looking for more weather-independent solutions. It's a pity that indoor ponds freeze over. I now used the mod that @starguru suggested, so the aquariums are basically maintenance-free, like ponds.
    Thanks for posting your garden lot. That looks like a convenient setup :smile: . I should try that in a different world one day.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Turjan
    Oh...I didn't know that pond has been frozen! Yes then the aquarium will be the best! :D I usually store all the deathfishes and angelfishes in the treasure chests as well. :) They are always fresh in there. :D
  • Options
    Turjan wrote: »
    starguru wrote: »
    Eh, spare bedroom, yes, of course. Definitely not the master bedroom, no. That would be crazy, right? *cough*
    Then again, waking up to the gentle buzz of fruit flies in the morning and watching a stray snail make its way across your bed sheets makes you feel one with nature in completely new ways :smile:
    :joy: I prefer a bit more separation from nature than that. :p No invertebrates are allowed to free-range in my Sims' homes... I even have pet fleas modded out of my game. :lol:

I was actually thinking more of the necessary space when I said spare bedroom though. But if the master bedroom is big enough for Sims and trees both, I see no reason not to put them there. Having them so close certainly saves routing time to tend the garden when the Sim wakes up.

And that has just given me an idea. When I play fairies, I like to make their home interiors look more natural and wilderness-like, with specific furniture from the Store and SN EP, wall vines, décor featuring birds and lots of plants. But with architectural frieze levels and the soil rugs, I could have real plants and all sorts of fruit trees surrounding my fae Sims in their woodland cottages too. Thanks for the inspiration, @Turjan! :smiley:

Although, now the size of my Sims bedrooms will probably end up expanding as much as my Sim kitchens have over the years! :joy:
  • Options
    I just wanted to add my latest trend in gardening: For the lazy gardener, we have our separate gardens behind the house on a separate lot. If you just want to harvest, make it a community lot you don't own.
    hTBl2hh.jpg
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Turjan That looks great! I always place a community garden with all the plants that come with the EPs I have installed. Although all my sims garden, it's a convenient way to work on wishes to skill up in gardening in houses that don't have room for large gardens.
  • Options
    SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    If I'm playing in a rural World, I usually demolish a nightclub and replace it with a Community Garden using all EP/Store Plants I own. Out of the plants I grew on my Saves, I only lost a dozen plants (Zombies, meteor and in one case, forgot to water them)
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited March 17
    @Sleepstar - I thought community garden plants weren't supposed to wither. The game supposedly treats them like "wild plants" and the only things that are supposed to get at them are deer, wild horses, the unicorn and the vegetarian zombies, other than the player that harvests them or some NPCs if they ever get up the gumption to.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~