Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback from Japanese Simmers: Request to make shrine worship optional

123457...Next

Comments

• Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Looking at what the mod adds back in, it seems that there was an autonomous bow at shrine as well as an option to bow. Instead of simply removing the automatic bow they blanket cut it all out. A hasty and thoughtless decision to me. To be fair to everyone they should be working on adding the choice to bow back in. Sorry console players D:

Yeah, that was an idea that was floating around the threads that were deleted, about them just removing the autonomous action, and as you said, I don't get why they didn't just remove the autonomous interaction either. I hope the team adds in the option to bow at the shrines again, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    KikoKiko Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I’m Japanese and new here. Even with mods, it’s still frustrating that the EA removed the bowing option. All I want is for them to be neutral on this matter, by making it an option. I contacted EA online and their Twitter accounts (@EA help, the Guru Graham guy, and the Sims), but no response.

If anyone have time, let’s raise more voices all over on social media like on Twitter. I think it’s still hopeful if we so that 🙏🏻 Thank you :)
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    [url="
    Ems-Lwj2-Uc-AESk-Ox-2.gif

A modder found files for clothes wihch have both the original and the changed version.
    Many modders are saying EA just disabled files not totally deleted it.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2020
    They changed two other yukata patterns as well, for no good reason. What the plum?

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    s1mszzang wrote: »
    [url="
    Ems-Lwj2-Uc-AESk-Ox-2.gif

A modder found files for clothes wihch have both the original and the changed version.
    Many modders are saying EA just disabled files not totally deleted it.

That's awesome! Has anyone used it to make cc yet?
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    They changed two other yukata patterns as well, for no good reason. What the plum?

This just proves to me how much something so small was blown up out of proportion, it is just mind-boggling, to say the least. Seriously this is such a non-issue that I can't fathom how they even bought into the decision to remove the "pattern" ( mean I do get it, controversy is bad for business, but still, omg)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    kumataroukumatarou Posts: 6 New Member
    @s1mszzang
    Thank you for all the useful information.

With this fact, I wonder if we can expect a good response from the Sims team? Or did they merely forget to delete everything because they did their job in a hurry?

By the way, I'm thinking:
    -Back to being able to bow at shrine(not automatically).
    -Use both kimono patterns (this is to respecting the designer).
    -At CAS,Player is able to decide which costumes are not used in the game (for those who don't like the fan pattern).
    This way, it would be more inclusive.
    I wish the Sims team could add it.

I may have gotten a little off topic, sorry.
  • Options
    inumaninuman Posts: 21 Member

These are yagasuri(矢絣), a traditional textile which has been very common pattern for kimono. What is the problem, did they complain about it too? Why?

Yagasuri.png

From Wikipedia (https://ja.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=矢絣&oldid=67975213):

日本では非常に古くから使われている模様で、本来は矢羽模様の絣を指していた。
    結婚の際に矢絣の着物を持たせると出戻ってこない(射た矢が戻ってこないことから)といわれるようになり、縁起柄とされるようになった
    In Japan, this pattern has been used from very old times, originally referring to a kasuri with the patterns of arrows. (Kasuri: the Japanese term for fabric that has been woven with fibers dyed specifically to create patterns and images in the fabric)
    It got to be said that giving a yagasuri patterned kimono to the new house when got married makes the couple not to split and back to their parents’ homes (as the arrows don’t come back after being shot), became a lucky pattern.

This webpage introducing a book about Japanese kasuri, is showing the yagasuri pattern is a sort of triangle patterns that can be found all over the world.
    https://japan-textile.news/library/1419

Even though they thought the controversy is bad for business, how this can be controversal?
    Or, maybe these were just removed not because of this controversy?
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2020
    inuman wrote: »
    These are yagasuri(矢絣), a traditional textile which has been very common pattern for kimono. What is the problem, did they complain about it too? Why?

I didn't see anyone complaining about the yagasuri pattern. Its removal came out of thin air.
  • Options
    SuperbusSuperbus Posts: 5 New Member
    I am not Japanese nor do I hold cordial feelings towards Japan and its culture beyond an academic interest; however, I am of the opinion that the removal (removal, not omittance) of the subject content (the practice of bowing at shrines) amounts to greater disrespect than it does offence (offence which is borne of a lack of understanding of religious history, at that).
    Furthermore, if one were to be educated in the field of religious history, the practice of bowing originates from China and was largely introduced into Japanese worship through Buddhism. Up until the Meiji Restoration, Shintoism and Buddhism had become closely associated with each other.
    Ironically, the reform of the Shinto religion proceeding the Meiji Restoration was to disassociate the two religions and it could be argued that any complaint made in regards to the act of bowing at a shrine is, in fact, only serving to furtherance the Meiji intention rather than obstructing it, albeit these complaints would likely be borne from a neglect in historical knowledge.

In short, I am in agreement that the feature at concern, which had been removed with purpose and intent rather than omitted from neglectful oversight, should be re-instated into the game.
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited November 2020
    deleted.
    Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • Options
    blossoms85blossoms85 Posts: 27 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    That's awesome! Has anyone used it to make cc yet?
    It looks like MizoreYukii made a CC of the pattern, see the reply on Twitter. :)

Off-topic, but yagasuri patterned kimonos were given to women when they got married to prevent them from returning to their parents' home. There is a history that the maids of the shogun's wife, who worked in the shogun's inner sanctum, wore them. In other words, the yagasuri pattern was also a symbol of unmarried women.
    From the Meiji to Taisho era, it became popular as a pattern for female students to wear when they went to school. Today, yagasuri patterns are used on men's yukatas and obis and, as long as they are small and modest in color, they are also worn by older women. However, there is still a perception that it is a cute pattern for young women.
    It is hard to believe that the Japanese would be offended by the yagasuri pattern, but it may have been changed to just a vertical stripe pattern that can be worn by both men and women without regard to their age.

These are left in the game's data, along with the bowing. Is this a friendly fact given to us by EA? No, it's a sad and infuriating fact.
    Again, mods are not the best solution. EA can put them back in immediately.
    I would demand that it be put back in the patch delivery so that you can choose it in game.