Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestion for the Not Suitable Sims name warning .

SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
edited October 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
We need a list of the forbidden names to avoid to call our sims for players who uses the Gallery .
I got this idea in my mind because yesterday I called my five new female sims , I had a warning message telling me I use an incorrect name that it isn't suitable for sharing my sims in the Gallery. I am still wondering what I have done wrong.I do not think I call my sims with insulting or with offensive names I hope so (No I didn't call my sims girl Adolf 🐸🐸🐸🐸 or with adult suggestive words for instance). I fortunately do not use the Gallery and blocked the Online Options.

Please make us a list for the next time or tell us what sims has a wrong name to correct ourselves even though I think this is very plumbob. Thank you and Happy Halloween.

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)

Comments

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited October 2020
    I made a nightclub called the Peacock Lounge. I know what you mean. I had to change it to Emerald Lounge. Well I can't even put it here. It's the bird with the beautiful blue green feathers.
  • Options
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I made a nightclub called the 🎃🎃🎃🎃 Lounge. I know what you mean. I had to change it to Emerald Lounge.

@catitude5 : Thank you for your testimony, the trouble is I do not understand who I miscalled and why because I made a group of five girls and I had no warnings of my mistake when I wrote their names.
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited October 2020
    Here’s another discussion regarding the same issue. Some names/ words in US are considered inappropriate or a derogatory term. 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/982452/game-saying-hicks-is-a-disallowed-word/p1
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    And there are still do not anything since the conversation opens @CAPTAIN_NXR7 ?
    The problem is we are not all from the US, probably the vast majority of players are not from the US/Canada I come from France and English is not my native even my second language so for foreigners that's better to make a list to help us?
    What names are unappropriate for you the US people? We are not US minded , even though we share a lot of your culture.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited October 2020
    And there are still do not anything since the conversation opens @CAPTAIN_NXR7 ?
    The problem is we are not all from the US, probably the vast majority of players are not from the US/Canada I come from France and English is not my native even my second language so for foreigners that's better to make a list to help us?
    What names are unappropriate for you the US people?

That discussion is quite recent too and hopefully these flagged names will be reviewed by modifying the way the filter system recognizes words.

And I agree with you. Not everyone is from the US. I’m not from US either. I’m in Ireland. Thing is, these names should not be flagged as being inappropriate. We don’t need an ‘‘inappropriate name list’ as you suggest. It would be too long. These names should be un-flagged as derogatory, because these are names people are born with. They are common names (Or words) in different countries, outside of US, even inside US. The recognition system is just not complex enough to understand that.

What’s more insulting than the word itself is for someone to have their name flagged as being an inappropriate word. Plus half of the world is wondering why the hell its flagged in the first place. Censorship like this draws attention to something that shouldn’t be a problem. It would be more appropriate to stop utilizing the negative meaning of a word, instead of pretending it doesn’t exist. Because soon we can’t say anything anymore.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    a name of a puppy from 101 Dalmatians (also a name of a car part), Arthur the aardvark's rich, red headed friend, The name of the LION KING who is Simba's father are names that gallery wouldn't allow
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    There shouldn't be any censor on a surname, period. Imagine what people feel when they see their name is censored. If anything is insenstive it would be banning/censoring a surname. The game is now supposed to be representation, well, people want to name their Sims after family and friends and even family surnames or any other name they know. That's insensitive to censor them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MoQMoQ Posts: 16 Member
    Censorship of a word virtually always is dependent on the context in which its used. At the very least, there should be a way for the community or moderators to allow appeals on uploads so they can get through the filter. If they're seriously going to censor a word like "Hick" then they need a way for someone like Catherine Hicks to get through the system.