Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Changers - New Expansion Pack

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I wish they'd give the pack to non-Builders to play, that way we know if the gameplay is up to par. Lilsimsie, James and even Deli are all mainly builders.
    They need to stop catering to builders all the time and start focusing on gameplay.

Plumbella for example? She isn't afraid to say how it is and I feel like she and the sims team could make a really great pack if they collaborated.

Plumbella would be good. Or Iron Seagull or English Simmer. People that actually play the game as it's intended and don't just build. Not that there's anything wrong with building, I just feel it gets way too much attention with this iteration....
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Plumbella is also a good builder -- she did an awesome job with the Oasis Springs park in one of her save files and I saved it to use in my template builds. :)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I like how Plumbella, EnglishSimmer & Clare Siobhan play Sims 4 on YouTube.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Plumbella would be good. Or Iron Seagull or English Simmer. People that actually play the game as it's intended and don't just build. Not that there's anything wrong with building, I just feel it gets way too much attention with this iteration....

Is there an intended way to play the game? If so, what is it? I'm predominantly a builder and I've been playing since the very beginning, have I been playing it wrong this whole time? :p

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Is there an intended way to play the game? If so, what is it? I'm predominantly a builder and I've been playing since the very beginning, have I been playing it wrong this whole time? :p

Well, originally, the Sims was supposed to be a simulation and management game. You manage your sims' needs, goals and relationships, and make sure they don't die or become unstable.
    I never said anything about Building being a bad way to play, but it wasn't really what Will Wright originally intended.

And you can't deny that every update we get is focused on building. Where's an Attraction update? Where's an update to add Memories? Favorites? None that I've seen in recent memories. Just another update for Builders.....
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I wish they'd give the pack to non-Builders to play, that way we know if the gameplay is up to par. Lilsimsie, James and even Deli are all mainly builders.
    They need to stop catering to builders all the time and start focusing on gameplay.

Plumbella for example? She isn't afraid to say how it is and I feel like she and the sims team could make a really great pack if they collaborated.

Hopefully they'll invite her for a Happy Haunts/Paranormal pack and include Bonehilda.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

Well, originally, the Sims was supposed to be a simulation and management game. You manage your sims' needs, goals and relationships, and make sure they don't die or become unstable.
    I never said anything about Building being a bad way to play, but it wasn't really what Will Wright originally intended.

And you can't deny that every update we get is focused on building. Where's an Attraction update? Where's an update to add Memories? Favorites? None that I've seen in recent memories. Just another update for Builders.....

Guess I have been playing it wrong then, I've always been a builder ever since the day Sims 1 was released. I actually think, from a builder's perspective, that far more emphasis is placed on new CAS items, gameplay features, sim additions, family play, interactions, the list is endless. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's a game that has no boundaries (apart from maybe when a bug limits what you want to do in-game) and allows you to develop your own play style rather than follow a linear storyline or goal.

I've had real issues with Sims 4, and Sims 3, and there's a lot I think could be improved on, but to say the game gives too much attention to builders just isn't true.

I'm sure Will Wright just wanted players to enjoy the game in whatever way they chose :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    My understanding is that it was originally conceived as an architectural tool to gauge how functional builds were. You take your home design, throw some sims in there and see how well their needs are met. If they experience frustration and their needs diminish, you need to go back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    Need to add to that, it was adopted by Maxis and turned into a game,.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Guess I have been playing it wrong then, I've always been a builder ever since the day Sims 1 was released. I actually think, from a builder's perspective, that far more emphasis is placed on new CAS items, gameplay features, sim additions, family play, interactions, the list is endless. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's a game that has no boundaries (apart from maybe when a bug limits what you want to do in-game) and allows you to develop your own play style rather than follow a linear storyline or goal.

I've had real issues with Sims 4, and Sims 3, and there's a lot I think could be improved on, but to say the game gives too much attention to builders just isn't true.

I'm sure Will Wright just wanted players to enjoy the game in whatever way they chose :)

The past updates have almost all been about building-
    The ability to freely place windows, having all windows and doors in black & white, updating stairs, ladders, the ability to build on water, the ability to curve roofs, the ability to extend columns, and etc. and etc. and etc.
    Do I really need to go on?
    Building and CAS were the only features in the Sims 4 that was originally touted as good, while the rest of the game was dismissed as mediocre.

Remind me when they did a substantial update to the sims personalities? Or the family trees? Or more romantic interactions?

I'm happy that players can find joy in building, but there are also people who want to play the game for managing Sims themselves and not as a creative outlet for builders.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member

As someone who builds and plays the sims in the sims 4 the game has a lot more for builders to to do in my opinion. I find myself building a lot in the sims 4 because the the sims themselves are shallow and lack gameplay. The houses look beautiful and the sims look great but the gameplay is a snooze fest.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited October 2020
    My understanding is that it was originally conceived as an architectural tool to gauge how functional builds were. You take your home design, throw some sims in there and see how well their needs are met. If they experience frustration and their needs diminish, you need to go back to the drawing board.

Yes you are right. It was conceived as an architectural tool but then people became obsessed with watching the sims in the house. Then sims was realized. We should be just as obsessed with the sims more than the house today. In this iteration, I feel like we have way too many obsessed with the house and not the sims in the house.

Just a quick note, I think if he wanted us more interested in building it would have been called sim architect or sim building, not The Sims.
  • Options
    keekee53 wrote: »

Yes you are right. It was conceived as an architectural tool but then people became obsessed with watching the sims in the house. Then sims was realized. We should be just as obsessed with the sims more than the house today. In this iteration, I feel like we have way too many obsessed with the house and not the sims in the house.

Just a quick note, I think if he wanted us more interested in building it would have been called sim architect or sim building, not The Sims.
    You are absolutely right, they adopted the basic concept but took it much farther and the result was this obsessively addictive and fantastically imaginative game. Still, Sims 4 did not deliver on what it promised, for some reason. All the hype about emotions and sims that would exhibit more realistic interactions was totally debunked. It is no wonder that many simmers began to focus on building. The builds are amazing but what goes on inside the builds, sadly, is not.