Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To the Sims Team: We don't need an october skin fix if we are getting slider in december.

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! Please remember to keep things on topic, friendly, and constructive.

EA_Joz
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I definitely want more skins and makeup sliders. The more diverse, creative, real-life-representative and beautiful/bizarre the game let's me make my sims the better.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound too harsh, but I seriously can't believe there's some people against having too many tones. Are we really talking about this addition dragging down systems? If I remember correctly people were complaining about the game being too focused on low-end computers and now that's your concern? I just don't understand...

I agree, its 2020 people, if you at least don't have 4gb of ram and a GTX1080, you shouldn't complain about games not working as they should on your pc. I'm sorry but its the truth, new games need new machines. its always been that way.

The thing is that Sims 4 isn't a new game; it's been around since late 2014 and some people haven't had a chance to upgrade to a newer system. I have plenty of RAM (12GB) but only a GTX870; I'm looking at a new computer for early next year when I'll have the money, but only because this one's starting to get a bit creaky. I can still run The Sims (pretty much the only game I play regularly) on High graphics with no hiccups.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound too harsh, but I seriously can't believe there's some people against having too many tones. Are we really talking about this addition dragging down systems? If I remember correctly people were complaining about the game being too focused on low-end computers and now that's your concern? I just don't understand...

I agree, its 2020 people, if you at least don't have 4gb of ram and a GTX1080, you shouldn't complain about games not working as they should on your pc. I'm sorry but its the truth, new games need new machines. its always been that way.

I don't know how large skin files are, but that many new skin tones will probably be a huge update that will take forever for people to download if their internet connection is slow.

I wonder if it's really 100 skin tones, or it could be fewer but with the new sliders you can produce 100 (or more) different skin tones depending how the sliders are set.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2020
    Um they can focus on both, It's kinda rude of you to tell them to not focus on fixing the darker skintones for sim players who have been wanting/asking for them to be fixed and expanded for past 6 years now. You're pretty much telling them to ignore those players/exclude them and to me that's kinda messed up.
    Post edited by BrittanyChick22 on
    giphy.gif

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    ¿Por que no los dos?

I very much miss the color wheel, but I'll take sliders. There can't be sliders and more tone palettes?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think we need to put it in perspective. I suspect that the "over 100" skin tones is a combination of Toddler, Child, and Teen and up tones (no idea about babies). So if the tones match for each life stage, then that would be about thirty-something skin tones for each age range, less if babies are included. But that's also in addition to the tones we already have, isn't it? It's still a lot.

And with sliders, that adds a whole new range of possibilities.

Don't skin tones actually cover all ages? It's not like the sims change colour when they age up.

I'm not actually sure exactly how the game design works for that, but I know that with custom content, everything is created separately for age groups so I assume the skin textures have to be modeled specifically for each form size, otherwise the shading and highlighting will be all wrong and the mesh too large and come out looking strange.

I see what you mean, but still all ages have the same skin tones, don't they? Except for babies which I understand have less colour options with them being objects and what not. We currently have 7 life stages, if they did what you're saying it wouldn't add that many new colour options, it would basically be a few new shades and sliders added to all, so that we can make them a bit lighter or darker. I wonder if the sliders will include the cool, warm, neutral options for the undertones.

Yes, they have the same skin tone colors, but if new ones are added, I believe they still need to be created for each Sim size, not age group. Teen-elder are one size, children are another, and toddlers are another. This is how CC creators usually do it. If they make a new skin tone for teens/young adults/adults/elders and then want to expand it for children and toddlers, they have to do further adjustments and usually offer those files separately.

Anyway, that's why I think the devs might be counting the skin tones in total, including the younger ages. If the 100 tones are split between Teen-elder (as one group), children and toddlers, that's about thirty something new tones for each. If they do include baby tones then that number would be reduced. I hope that made sense.

If so, then the colors could be arranged like this:
    4 age groups
    5 dark-to-light groups
    5 undercolors (pink, yellow, green, etc.)
    And then the 100 could be created through permutations of these.

In this case, I would probably still need cc for very light or very dark colors.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm wondering if they mean you can choose the nearest colour to your Sims colour and use a slider to further enhance it. That would be the quickest way to deal with them. The thought of having to choose between about 100 colours on a chart doesn't do it for me.

I'm more pink than white myself and those so called white colours were nothing like my skin colour either.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    As an European I am very aware of the differences between people.
    This is not meant as a flaming attack or an insult, but I (against better judgement) spend a lot of time on Twitter, and a lot of the time I get the impression that Americans sort people according to "White, Black, Latino" and that's it. Maybe "Native / First Nation" gets in there if they think about it.

Because over here... I am Swedish. I can pretty accurately pinpoint if another white person is British, Irish, French, Polish or German. Just from subtle differences in facial shapes and skin color. Heck I can usually pinpoint if a Black person is from Britain, France or America.

Not to mention on a global scale: I mean even on a Macro scale: Northen China, Southern China, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Mongolia, Iran are all Asian regions. All have noticeable ethnical differences both in facial structure but also in skin tone. A Cambodian woman and a Korean woman has nowhere near the same skin color (on average).

I'm someone who has lived in the United States my entire lives, and we're not taught any of the differences in people's appearances other than how they happen (via genetics). We're taught that you're either White, Black, Latino, Native American/First Nation, Asian, Polynesian, Indian, or Mixed. That's it. We can't tell the difference between if someone is British or Irish without asking first, nothing like that. This is really putting into perspective just how much I want to move away from this country.

What a ridiculous sentiment. It's amazing that anyone can keep up with the rapidly-changing standards at all; when I grew up in the 90s, we were taught to recognize that people are people and to not define them by their skin color or ethnicity. Now, in 2020, we're told that to celebrate our humanity, we have to make sure to apply every possible label someone can divine for themselves.

I'm: gay, Hispanic, male. I'd prefer to just be recognized as a person, however--the same as anyone else. But I'm told that in order for my value to be recognized, I need to make sure everyone sees and pays tribute to my every difference. That's not fair to anyone and it boxes me into being a collection of socially-constructed identities that come with all sorts of preconceptions and stereotypes that do not apply to me. No thanks!

There's an awful lot of virtue-signalling in response to the OP. As far as I can tell, they're really only saying that they'd prefer to have the updates combined into one, avoiding a smaller update in October that will more or less be made irrelevant come December. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Nowhere in the first post nor in the OP's subsequent replies, did they argue or advocate for denying anyone anything at all. And yet instead of discussing their points based on their merits, this community thought it'd be better to grandstand and feign moral superiority earned on social media, completely missing the point.

The fact that you think that there's a contradiction between accepting everyone and recognizing that people from different cultures are different is sad.

My point is that most Americans who are not first or second generation immigrants sort people very broadly which prohibits things like letting non Americans create themselves in say the Sims.
    To think that all "Europeans" look the same is the same as thinking that all "Asians" or all "Africans" look the same. Asia is a huge continent with extreme variety of cultures and people, from Turks and Iranians to Thai and Japanese. None of these cultures are the same in either traditional clothes, language, skin color or traditions.
    For example.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    @crocobaura I don't know if you noticed but today Space X tried to launch their rocket to put several satellites in orbit so that people even in remote places would have easy access to the internet. They had to delay the launch at the very last minute due to the weather getting worse but soon I hope it'll be used by all the providers. One of the better Twitter feeds I get other than about The Sims! :)
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    @crocobaura I don't know if you noticed but today Space X tried to launch their rocket to put several satellites in orbit so that people even in remote places would have easy access to the internet. They had to delay the launch at the very last minute due to the weather getting worse but soon I hope it'll be used by all the providers. One of the better Twitter feeds I get other than about The Sims! :)

@Simburian That is really wonderful news. :grin:
  • Options
    justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
    edited October 2020
    It looks like I was right, It was better to wait and release a full patch. the fixes were rushed and they didn't work.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited October 2020
    I don't even see how they can do so many. Since it should've been better in the beginning instead of waiting all these years, we should get some non CAS and non build items too for those whose play style is different. I make black Sims all the time, but I don't get extremely close to the house, but usually to where I can see the whole yard/lot. Story and doing is more of my play style. It would be nice to have some stuff. Cas and build are mostly in the freebies anymore and it would be nice to get some free stuff especially when holidays are coming. Perfect time for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas stuff/ freebies. The skin tints are great, but I don't see it impacting my game and since the hispanic/oriental/darker tints should've been addressed at the beginning and way before now, it's a base game thing and we should still get stuff too. Both in other words. We should get what they have promised and free holiday related stuff.
  • Options
    itoldusoitolduso Posts: 60 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I don't even see how they can do so many. Since it should've been better in the beginning instead of waiting all these years, we should get some non CAS and non build items too for those whose play style is different. I make black Sims all the time, but I don't get extremely close to the house, but usually to where I can see the whole yard/lot. Story and doing is more of my play style. It would be nice to have some stuff. Cas and build are mostly in the freebies anymore and it would be nice to get some free stuff especially when holidays are coming. Perfect time for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas stuff/ freebies. The skin tints are great, but I don't see it impacting my game and since the hispanic/oriental/darker tints should've been addressed at the beginning and way before now, it's a base game thing and we should still get stuff too. Both in other words. We should get what they have promised and free holiday related stuff.

I politely disagree...It impacts a lot of simmers (especially black simmers) because they are limited to how they want to design their sim. Not everyone uses cc and mods.

By the way, EA already gave a Holiday Celebration pack for free. T