Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To the Sims Team: We don't need an october skin fix if we are getting slider in december.

justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
Please focus on the december patch and don't waste time giving us a fix for probably 10 dark skin tones, focus on the big thing: the color wheel (Slider).

Update: I made a mistake is not color wheel but a slider.

Post edited by justice4bonehilda on

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    We’re getting 100 skin tones and sliders for makeup and skin tone, I’ll take that in place of a color wheel. While I loved the color wheel for objects and decor in the Sims 3, I think this looks to be good. I don’t think they’d have the energy to make a color wheel for every object in the game.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I don't even use all the skin tones we have.

Will the color wheel be for everything; clothes, hair, furniture, etc.?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    No, the skin tones need to be updated, Maxis are fixing the blotchy artifacts and ashy appearance on the darker skintones that other people have pointed out for years, you can see Grimcookies showing this in this video for example if you wonder what I am talking about.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    But we're not getting a color wheel. We're getting improvements to existing skin tones (if you've got your graphics set up to handle it) and then we're getting Value/intensity sliders with 100 skin tones and makeup in December. Which will be similar to, but not quite the same as a color wheel.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I don't want a colour wheel. I didn't like it in earlier versions. Happy about skin tones though.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't want a colour wheel. I didn't like it in earlier versions. Happy about skin tones though.

Ditto. I hated the color wheel and I hate the Pets version we have.

The skin tones desperately needed an update though, so this is nice to see.
  • justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
    Oh, so you haven't heard the news then ?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

What news? The news about the sliders?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

There’s no color wheel. We’re getting 100+ new skin tones with cool, neutral, and warm under tones and a slider to make each swatch lighter or darker. In addition we’re getting a makeup slider to enable us to adjust the make up to suit our sims as we see fit.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    A 100+ SKs and sliders. I wonder how this will be implemented in the UI. That’s a huge thing.

I also don’t understand where the ‘colour wheel‘ rumor comes from?
    The announcement clearly speaks of sliders complimenting swatches. 🤔
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I read the announcement and saw nothing about a color wheel. The early update will be welcome for many players, then the December one with the sliders will be awesome. Still not sure if the sliders are for skin tones or makeup (or both) but if they're for makeup I'll be a very happy Simmer; some of the eye shadows are just too glaring as they are (other than maybe party wear), but if we can tone them down with sliders they could be nice even for everyday wear.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited September 2020

Just to be clear before the disinformation mill fires up:

The Sims team will be releasing a base game update around existing skin tones on October 6 for Mac/PC and November 10 for console. As we work on expanding skin tone variety, in this first step, we’ll be improving the blotchy artifacts and ashy appearance of darker skin tones on mid and high spec machines*. (Not sure whether this applies to your computer? See the note below!) As mentioned in our initial video, we recognize there is a need to improve the representation of hairstyles in our base game as well, so in October, we will start by updating two of the base game hairstyles.

Bigger changers are coming! In December, we’ll be rolling out at least a hundred new skin tone swatches in cool, neutral, and warm tones with a particular emphasis on darker skin tones. Beyond the new additions, we are introducing a slider on all swatches, both new and existing, that will allow you to modify each selected tone to be lighter or darker. We’ve heard your feedback on makeup as well. To truly complement the expanded library of skin tones launching in December, we’ll also be adding new sliders for makeup in Create-A-Sim mode. The updated customization options will offer an entirely new level of control of your Sim’s appearance so they can look as flawless as possible. Plus, the December update will include another two improved base game hairstyles.

Keep an eye out for more information from our team in late October or early November as we start to implement these changes. We’ll also be sharing more details about how we’re collaborating with external partners, including talented and diverse community members, to make sure we get this right. As always, we thank you for sticking with us as we continue to grow. We’re looking forward to sharing all of this with you in the coming months!

Thank you!

*Please note that the October PC update will, at this point, be visible only to those running the game with the “Uncompressed Sim Textures” graphics settings turned ON. This will not be the default setting on all machines, so follow these steps to check your settings and see the graphic updates. To turn ON “Uncompressed Sim Texture” in the game, go to Options > Game Options > Graphics Tab > Graphics Sections > check “Uncompressed Sim Textures.” If your machine has lower graphics settings and you attempt to run with uncompressed graphics, you may experience a crash; to recover, please re-enable graphic compression. Based on the current specs that default “Uncompressed Sim Textures” to ON, we recommend a graphics card rated medium, high, or ultra and at least 2 GB video RAM.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/october-skin-tones-update?utm_campaign=sims4_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_skin-tones-update-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=65244&ts=1600883731701
    Other than probably taking an extra hour to get the perfect skin tone, this update won't make much difference to me, but for a lot of players it's a Big Deal. Just remember, the game's not just about you. :) With that many shades, they'll probably have some sort of filter system so you can sort between warm/neutral/cool.
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    edited September 2020
    :| I guess I'll wait for more details. Sounds like Sims 3 again. I sincerely hope that this doesn't mean limited skin tone genetics but once again, I'm not holding my breath.
    Part of the delay in getting the skin tones in might be due to making sure the genetics work. At least we can hope.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm glad this is coming, it is a very good thing.
  • BuildingTheSimsBuildingTheSims Posts: 92 Member
    :) Better skintones improves the sims so drastically. I have tried custom skintone ramps by cc creators and its just amazing how much they enhance the overall look of the sims. This is so necessary, especially pleased that we will now have makeup sliders . I hope that includes opacity.I prefer earth tones and nude tone makeup, and its necessary for my darker sims.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

There’s no color wheel. We’re getting 100+ new skin tones with cool, neutral, and warm under tones and a slider to make each swatch lighter or darker. In addition we’re getting a makeup slider to enable us to adjust the make up to suit our sims as we see fit.

The OP said about the December patch and the color wheel.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    As an European I am very aware of the differences between people.
    This is not meant as a flaming attack or an insult, but I (against better judgement) spend a lot of time on Twitter, and a lot of the time I get the impression that Americans sort people according to "White, Black, Latino" and that's it. Maybe "Native / First Nation" gets in there if they think about it.

Because over here... I am Swedish. I can pretty accurately pinpoint if another white person is British, Irish, French, Polish or German. Just from subtle differences in facial shapes and skin color. Heck I can usually pinpoint if a Black person is from Britain, France or America.

Not to mention on a global scale: I mean even on a Macro scale: Northen China, Southern China, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Mongolia, Iran are all Asian regions. All have noticeable ethnical differences both in facial structure but also in skin tone. A Cambodian woman and a Korean woman has nowhere near the same skin color (on average).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

The OP said about the December patch and the color wheel.

The December patch is when we're getting the 100 skins and sliders, Not a color wheel. The October patch is updates to the existing skin texture maps, which will only be viable on mid to upper range video cards.

The word "wheel" does not appear anywhere in the blog post.