Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I miss ...

I miss the excitement of a new pack ... I miss everyone coming together to applaud. All I see is negativity. But maybe I am just old ... but I use to play this game non stop finding ways to get out of work to play. Part of me thinks because I have been playing since the Sims 1 I am not surprised anymore. But it isn't that. I love the game. I am disappointed with some aspects (babies, cars, height). But those are minor ... I love being excited about expansion/game/stuff packs, but they have been falling short. Not because they are not great packs ... I luv them (hate Star Wars Theme).

To be honest ... my main issue is height and babies. I hate teenagers are the same weird shaped adults. It 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off that college shrews up a good portion of young adult/adult life.

I am an old player (in my 50's) ... and I think they are trying to appeal to younger to attract more people ... I think they need to go back to the beginning and realize as older player ... we will still be here ... and we as a community will get our children and grandchildren to play. Long term players will bring more long term players because we will share our love ... new ideas are great but our hard core players will bring more people into our family.

Sorry for the long rant.

Comments

• Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Ponds <3
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Underwater <3
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I miss having PEPS 😅, I remember wanting to get into my game fully prepared to try out a new feature but then getting so sad and not wanting to play because the patch with the feature didn’t release yet and I didn’t want to get ahead of myself 😂
    The only good thing is pacs used to be announced months before release, I remember waiting for 3-4 months for 1
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am also in my fifties, and am having a blast with the Journey to Batuu GP. I don't mind Teens being nearly adult - TS4 Children work fine as pre-teens or tweens for me. I don't see what your criticism of community has to do with age, unless you feel that the recent packs are pitched to younger people. I disagree.

Star Wars hit the big screen when I was 8 years old - a year before Space Invaders hit video-game arcades. Remember those? Eco Lifestyle? My friends who are actually employed in making bespoke furniture and art from reclaimed lumber, urban beekeeping, and community gardening, are also in their forties and fifties - they are Gen X, not Millennials or whatever we are calling youngsters these days.

These packs are for us.

What I miss: werewolves, and body hair.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I am also in my fifties, and am having a blast with the Journey to Batuu GP. I don't mind Teens being nearly adult - TS4 Children work fine as pre-teens or tweens for me. I don't see what your criticism of community has to do with age, unless you feel that the recent packs are pitched to younger people. I disagree.

Star Wars hit the big screen when I was 8 years old - a year before Space Invaders hit video-game arcades. Remember those? Eco Lifestyle? My friends who are actually employed in making bespoke furniture and art from reclaimed lumber, urban beekeeping, and community gardening, are also in their forties and fifties - they are Gen X, not Millennials or whatever we are calling youngsters these days.

These packs are for us.

What I miss: werewolves, and body hair.

I think what OP is saying is that if you compare the interactions and clothes from previous games. They're more "spicy" than The Sims 4.

If you compare the TS2 to TS4 Caliente sisters, the clothing says a lot!

Like the make out interaction is nothing compared to the previous games. It's like they restricted this for children.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited September 2020
    DLTE.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    @FlyingPotato659 Oh, I see. I guess my focus on the development over time has been different, as a player who usually has same-sex couples. Marriage wasn't available until TS3. Now gender nonconforming, nonbinary, or otherwise atypical Sims are easier to portray than ever, and even supported in the Maxis-made Sims in game.

As for racier, girls' denim cut-off shorts are racier than guys' - and I can put them on my guy Sims without needing a third party mod to do it. Romantic interactions may be more tame in some ways, but Teens being able to Mess Around is new (and controversial) territory.

I don't think it's more or less. It's just its own game. A lot of the "different" in TS4 derives from what it was initially planned to be, and then what the studio was required to change course to make. I resisted migrating from TS3 for a long time, and there are elements of that I miss in TS4. But for me, it ticks all the really important Sims boxes, and what it does well, it does really well.

That said, I hope they don't start TS5 until they know what they want it to be.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    The only thing I miss is the time when big companies made games and truly cared about making them good. Giving them souls. Not just to make cash. Those were better times.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The key difference in a nutshell. TS1-3 have heart/soul, 4 does not. Pretty cash cows do not a great game make.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I miss having more than a few weeks between announcement and release, so everyone's theories and speculation were at least based on what theme had been announced, instead of constantly hoping for themes that might never come...

I do miss all of the romance actions from Sims2. I like the Sims4 makeout for taking pictures of my couples staring into each others' eyes between kisses, but the old makeout was so much steamier.

I miss all the childhood interactions from 2 that didn't need an object, like tag and mary mack and dancing on a parent's feet.

I do wish the teens had a little bit more differentiation from YA. I agree that university takes too long compared to normal lifespan. That's why I haven't bought DU yet. I am still weighing my options there.

But I never played 3 and the only difference in babies between 2 and 4 is that you can no longer bathe them or leave them on the floor all over the house. And you don't have to carry them to the fridge to feed them. So I don't really mind the babies.
  • Options
    the_red_simmerthe_red_simmer Posts: 36 Member
    I miss the fairies and werewolves in the Sims 3 Supernatural pack. It was first Sims expansion and playing those characters brings so much nostalgia!
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Drunken little gnomes looking after my garden ;)
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    i miss truly distinctive age groups. I miss showing off the baby, I miss burglars. I miss wanting to play for hours on end because the gameplay is so engrossing and not because im trying to find ways to enjoy it. I miss each job promotion meaning a nicer car picked my sim up. I miss newspapers and i think most of all i miss my sims having memories through life.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the packs are released too often. The community never gets the chance we did in the old days to dive real deep into a pack, I play almost daily but there is still tons of features I never got to try. Because this kind of game involves lots of imagination and gamer made structures. I find it easy to add stuff aside of the game, so it can't be totally lacking soul, or I would not have been inspired to do all that I do. Agree with the simmer who thinks there is too little time between announcement and release. And one more thing - we now have much more gaming content online, ie youtubers and letsplays. Unless you buy the pack on release, you might end up watching others play it fo you, and then there's less excitement left for you when you finally get the pack. In the old days we mostly had to discover the content on our own, which I must say I prefer.

Edit: Oups, topic was what I miss... hm, plenty, but there are also many new features in 4. I think the diversity teen*/YA might be worth missing. And - I miss being able to click on a lot from ingame when I want to travel, rather than first going back to the hood view.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited September 2020
    I miss the reactions from the sims 2 like, if another sim saw another one in the buff hey would hold up their hands and scream or pee themselves when they got scared by a werewolf howl or being scared by a vampire. The reactions in TS4 are pretty lame.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    I agree it does seem to be made for a younger audience. I grew up with this sims and I miss the dark humour sims 1 had.
    I was discussing this the other day, and I remember playing the console version of sims 1 (the story objective to get to Malcolm mansion) and the landgrabbs were complete xxxxx and the goth family had an Addams family thing going on.
    Fish slapping and burglars etc the list goes on.
    I wish they could do two versions of the sims one for the younger generation and one with those darker elements added for the older generation. (I’m not saying going all out and dirty) just bringing back those elements that it once had.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I miss the features that made the Sims series more about creativity and not artwork or fluff.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I am also in my 50s and also have been playing since 2000. I am disappointed in how political some of these changes have become! I play games to get away from the nonsense of the real world for a while I hate the fact that even my sweet little simmies have to be subjected to changes based on political bias. I am the opposite of the OP though. I love teens and hate babies LOL so I am OK with the current arrangement. :D I really love all the Sims iterations. I loved something different about each of them. I don't know that they should add ALL the features from the earlier versions, but cars would be awesome. I also would not mind seeing deeper storylines for the NPC sims. I seem to recall they were pretty good and funny LOL I really like that sims can multi-task now. I wish they would tune that up a bit. But all and all this is my hobby and I enjoy it thoroughly.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I miss their souls more than anything <3

I am an old player too, but I don't believe they are targeting a certain age group. I believe they are targeting anyone they can get!!
  • Options
    gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    I miss the detailed gameplay of Sims2. It started to dwindle with 3. The ability to click an object, have several options to play, and the ability to do so WITHOUT interruption from other sims. I do believe they CAN incorporate more of this moving forward. Examples: that poker table in Sims2; long nights with others gambling away, having fun; the pool table ability to hustle, AND ultimately the ability those objects provided to be a GAME WITHIN A GAME.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm actually going through the excitement again but it's from my own making. I'm playing the Sims 3 for the first time with the graphics set on high. I never really played it much when it was the current game because I couldn't enjoy it with low graphics so for me it feels like a whole new game. I'm only playing the base game currently and I'm having so much fun. I'm setting myself goals to reach before I allow myself to install any new expansion packs because I'm trying to experience everything slow and in the order that it happened. I will install the packs over time one by one in the order they were released and I'm actually so excited to reach my goals and experience each pack.

I miss my TS4 sims because I get attached to them but I really don't miss the game play of the Sims 4 at all. I'm tired of things not functioning as they should in the Sims 4. I'm sick of seeing my sims randomly teleport around the house. I'm sick of seeing them stand up to eat and watch TV and all the other little irritating things that they do and most of all I'm sick of having a ton of mods because nothing ever get's fixed by the games developers. I think the Sims function better in the Sims 3 so for now I will continue to play that and keep hope that eventually some quality of life improvements will come to the Sims 4. It could be such a fabulous game if it just received the attention that it very much needs.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I miss:
    Body Hair
    Nails
    Long Eye Lashes
    Genies
    Fairies
    Werewolves
    Favorite Color/Music/Food
    Zodiac Sign
    Color Wheel
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm actually going through the excitement again but it's from my own making. I'm playing the Sims 3 for the first time with the graphics set on high. I never really played it much when it was the current game because I couldn't enjoy it with low graphics so for me it feels like a whole new game. I'm only playing the base game currently and I'm having so much fun. I'm setting myself goals to reach before I allow myself to install any new expansion packs because I'm trying to experience everything slow and in the order that it happened. I will install the packs over time one by one in the order they were released and I'm actually so excited to reach my goals and experience each pack.

I miss my TS4 sims because I get attached to them but I really don't miss the game play of the Sims 4 at all. I'm tired of things not functioning as they should in the Sims 4. I'm sick of seeing my sims randomly teleport around the house. I'm sick of seeing them stand up to eat and watch TV and all the other little irritating things that they do and most of all I'm sick of having a ton of mods because nothing ever get's fixed by the games developers. I think the Sims function better in the Sims 3 so for now I will continue to play that and keep hope that eventually some quality of life improvements will come to the Sims 4. It could be such a fabulous game if it just received the attention that it very much needs.

maybe you could make your sims 4 sims in 3 lots of people do that @Sharonia
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »

maybe you could make your sims 4 sims in 3 lots of people do that @Sharonia

Well I did kind of recreate my main sim in TS3 although she looks nothing like the TS4 version. I play rotational in TS4 though mostly with all the premades and I miss all of them. :D Hopefully things will eventually be fixed and I can enjoy playing again in the future.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I'm in my 60s. Been playing since 2005. I also miss PEPS. I am glad, to some degree, that we don't have as long to wait between the announcement and the pack being released. But, it's also a two-edged sword. Often a pack isn't really at all as presented, wherein, used to be the poses were what was lacking and not really the theme of the gameplay. I bought every pack for Sims2. I bought all but one EP for Sims3, and only two or three SPs. The game really was hard on my gaming rig and I was afraid of running out of RAM for an EP that may, just may bring back the interaction I was sorely missing.

I agree with the OP. I don't like how tame and almost milk-toast this game has become. While I tried a mod to 'spice' things up, it was a tad too violent for me at the same time. I want the stress of my Sims possibly losing their little pixelated lives, but not three untimely deaths in one playing session. As it turned out that mod was borked. I removed it and started a fresh game save and my family all over again. I was happy to find a nice little mod called Slice of Life. I find that gives me some of the little things (emotions, et al) I was lacking for immersion. Plus, I have Road to Fame, so I have my Singer Sim back. Yay.

But, death should be randomized, like it was in Sims2. I believe things were set for a 20% chance of it happening. Death depended, also, on just how low your Sims needs were. Pregnant Sims were cautioned to not take out the trash, and their needs went down rapidly. I used to purchase a banquet table so she wouldn't starve to death. It was challenging and fun.

Now, I've had to mod up the game to have more fun. I'm not at all jazzed by EL, nor the Star Wars pack. If I want my Sims to go on a side-tour, I'll take them on vacation. And speaking of which, when do you think they'll actually give us a place for such? Still waiting …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/