Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you ever feel smarter than a Let's Player? Or are they faking ignorance?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Honest to goodness, my husband who doesnt play the sims but watches me play and on occasion will watch sims 4 yt videos with me if we are in the same room feels the same way. He will stop playing his Raid game on his phone and make a comment about how that isnt right or thats not how you do it and will then turn to me and tell me I should make sims videos because these ppl have no idea what they are doing. He knows that its their job like Deli, James, Clare and Dr Gluon but he just cant belive they dont know things about something they use for the source of income.
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I used to like watching let’s plays.
    Until I realised that some of then makes mistakes on purpose and act like “oh what happened now?!”
    Some of them are dumbing themself down to look cute and funny and I can’t stand when they do this. Be yourself and stop faking unintelligence.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    I watch James Turners rags to riches various series, watching his wags to riches one just now. I do find myself wishing I could tell him to do this that and the other, however who wants to watch someone play perfectly? Boring. He is the only simmer that does let’s plays I can watch, the rest just don’t hold my interest. Graystillplays is the other one I will watch but he doesn’t do let’s plays.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,481 Member
    I don't watch Let's Plays but I think they deliberately try to create drama. Using your University example I'd much rather watch a student fail out of college then have her parents refuse to let her return home so she's got to figure how to make it on her own. Maybe she decides to stay with friends and get a part time job while taking a couple of classes to bring her GPA up. Could be more exciting than watching a sim ace all her classes.

I believe this is exactly the reason. I‘ve seen one or two Let’s Plays in the past, but it’s not my thing. Too much commentary and drama for my taste.
    But this is how these You Tubers generate their fan base. It’s not about what game they’re playing, it’s how they play it. They are the star of the show, not their sim. The quirkier the better, because that’s what their subscribers enjoy the most. Not intelligent, straight gameplay. The viewer just wants to be entertained and these YouTubers know exactly how to that. That’s all.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,015 Member
    yeah i dont watch loads of lets plays but sometimes i cringe so hard when player is like " how do i ____" when its something so obvious like things that been same way since ts1 and you just know with every cell of your being what they are supposed to click ah frustrating
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Even experienced players forget. I look stuff up on my phone while I play. I mostly watch James Turner's Let's Plays because he is funny. There was a running gag like "is fishing fun". Now he has his Sim ride a bike. He takes pictures to build friendships. He's genuinely into his Bigwallet family.

Anyway, imo he's not faking. He reads comments and asks viewers questions sometimes. He's not big into causing drama like others. He sets a goal and plays to reach his goal. When he "accidently" killed a bunch of Sims at a party he worked really hard to bring them all back. Does everyone know that death comes easily when you live in a tiny home and throw an outdoor formal dinner party during a heatwave. I think he just forgot but even if he did it on purpose it was still an awesome adventure watching him get ambrosia without cheating. Like I said. He's just fun to watch!

I am not into Let's Plays that turn turn into soap operas or killing sprees (Deli). Players that use tons of Alpha CC turn me off also. I can't get into it because it all looks so "fake".
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I have to say 90% of the time I am yelling at my computer when they are trying to figure something out. The other 10% of the time I think they are faking to engage the viewers to comment.

This is why I don’t watch much unless I am following a story.