Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you ever feel smarter than a Let's Player? Or are they faking ignorance?

...First of all: NO this is not a place to make fun of or be mean to others.

That said: I am starting a new save for the first time since April and in the process watched some let's plays. And find that quite often that they make such obvious mistakes, often by not actually reading tool tips or even worse, not applying common Sims 4 sense (many of these have been doing let's plays since the relase of the game and still somehow never figures out of the devs think).

A typical example is the two University let's plays I am watching tonight... where the players either flunk classes, fail to understand how to study (yes, you can buy a Logic book for 700... OR you can go to the library, something you have been able to do since day one of the base game and study for free... Just saying).

I managed to graduate my first sim with an A (not an A+) the first time by just reading the tool tips, paying attention to the calendar and using "common" (Sims) sense.
I almost get a feeling some of the youtubers fake it, making mistakes on purpose. Others not so much but they clearly forget basic Sims knowledge.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I agree! I stopped watching lets plays a long time ago because I could not stand all the really stupid mistakes that every single one of them makes.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Maybe you happened upon a story focused player who plays with lots of self-imposed restrictions? To a new follower that approach would sure appear stupid or at least highly inefficient. For example whether they need it or not, in most saves I require my sims to buy their major's book, a student bag and a school uniform and a public transport ticket to enroll. A+s are not my goal either, I prefer more varied results (and most of the time end up with As anyway, or outright Fs, because the in-between grades have such a small window).
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    I watch "Lets Plays" for the story telling. I don't really judge how they play or how much they know or don't know. They're just people that enjoy the game like the rest of us and often times the "Lets Plays" are featured around them playing a pack for the first time so it's normal for them to not know everything straight away.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I rarely watch let's plays as most of them are very slow paced and I tend to fall asleep. However, I have a sim who flunked university twice. She did her homework, and skilled up when needed, yet I don't know what I was doing wrong. Maybe it was because she was living off campus and I sent her to college only when the prompt came about going to classes. I applied the same technique I use with the children's school, and the child I have in school is doing great.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I prefer machinimas. Remind makes my favorite ones for the Sims 4.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCLQeUWuQVH0CSJ_EtoKzsQw

ChrillSims3 makes amazing ones too. I showed his to my mom because he made an amazing one about autism which my nephew has.
    https://youtube.com/user/Chrillsims3

Let's Plays always felt like the easy way to make videos and at that point might as well stream live.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like watching captainsauce though, being so cute when faking ignorance. Not strictly let's play perhaps, I don’t think I've ever watched any.

I think this urge of mine to post in this thread giving my point of view is widely understood by those wanting to make a living on Youtube-commercials; and the more you know the less people tend to interact with you.

And also, on the internet the law of making people say anything in the comments is to state something they want to contradict and correct.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2020
    I feel the same way, I respect that people are free to play the game how they want but one thing that I often wonder about are why they are not taking care of their sim's needs.

In almost every let's play their sims are starving or they need to go to the bathroom and they keep sending their sims to go sleep instead... or they don't let them sleep enough.

I think it might be because they want the game to be entertaining, and are also busy commenting while they are playing, and just filling your sims need while being quiet is not that entertaining I guess.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I don't watch Let's Plays but I think they deliberately try to create drama. Using your University example I'd much rather watch a student fail out of college then have her parents refuse to let her return home so she's got to figure how to make it on her own. Maybe she decides to stay with friends and get a part time job while taking a couple of classes to bring her GPA up. Could be more exciting than watching a sim ace all her classes.
  • Options
    I like watching captainsauce though, being so cute when faking ignorance. Not strictly let's play perhaps, I don’t think I've ever watched any.

I think this urge of mine to post in this thread giving my point of view is widely understood by those wanting to make a living on Youtube-commercials; and the more you know the less people tend to interact with you.

And also, on the internet the law of making people say anything in the comments is to state something they want to contradict and correct.
    I love CaptainSauce. His videos make me laugh and have a good night's sleep.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't normally watch youtube lets plays, I love the game but I prefer to play myself than watch others play, HOWEVER a few days ago a youtuber I follow for her movie reactions decided to play sims 4 for the first time ever and it was terrible haha!

She couldn't figure out how to make her sim into a female, how to make them stop an activity (they had to finish their book before answering the door), etc etc. It was humours and frustrating at the same time haha,
    I didn't feel smarter than her, she's never played before, but I felt bad she didn't enjoy my favourite game because she didn't know how to play but the realised it really doesn't matter haha. She's not a simmer, she doesn't make sim videos other than this first one, and she'd never played before so yeah, making mistakes was bound to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Bf1VP6T44&feature=emb_logo

• Options
    ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    A lot of times, so much of the person's brain power is going in to what they're going to say, how to make things fun for the audience, etc, that they forget or overlook things a lot. It's easy enough to do. They're focused on performing for you, not playing the game necessarily.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The only lets play I’ve watched have been some from new pack releases if I’m unsure of the pack. Most of them I want to scream at the screen to do a certain obvious action with the sim when they don’t. It usually highlight how differently I play my game to other simmers. However I will admit the only lets play I watched to the end was James turners rags to witches I found that amusing. I have quite liked his Star Wars one so far and I don’t even want the pack and have no intention of getting it but I like his enthusiasm with the pack.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    @Scobre yes, he is really funny at times, and I like the games he picks to play, always very silly and unpretentious.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    I think some fake it definitely, and others get distracted talking. Either way, I find it annoying, especially when its someone who I know has been playing the Sims since 2 or 3.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    An LPer's lack of attention to critical moments was one of the reasons I bought the Sims 4 for myself. They were making such obvs mistakes due to being so engrossed in verbally telling their story it made me feel like taking control of their game sometimes. Then I decided that instead of continuing to be slightly annoyed I'd buy the game and play how I want.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Do you consider guys like GrayStillPlays and Let's Game It out to be "let's play" type stuff? Neither one of them are Simmers, yet they both do their research and know how to use advanced functions in the game. Gray even rewrites some of the mods he uses for TS4.

Of course, they are both situational-type players, they don't do relationship or family-type stuff
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited September 2020
    Modifien wrote: »
    A lot of times, so much of the person's brain power is going in to what they're going to say, how to make things fun for the audience, etc, that they forget or overlook things a lot. It's easy enough to do. They're focused on performing for you, not playing the game necessarily.

This is especially true on Twitch. I don't watch many but sometimes I'll get a notification and click on. So much going on that I don't see how they stay focused. 😀 Responding to comments, acknowledging subscriptions, little emoticons popping up on screen. All while trying to play the game. I could never do it.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Do you consider guys like GrayStillPlays and Let's Game It out to be "let's play" type stuff? Neither one of them are Simmers, yet they both do their research and know how to use advanced functions in the game. Gray even rewrites some of the mods he uses for TS4.

Of course, they are both situational-type players, they don't do relationship or family-type stuff

I don't watch either of them. I consider a Let's Play someone who plays out a challenge, story, or scenario (often in a series of videos but not always) rather than just reviewing what is/isn't in a pack. If they make the video about a character/storyline I'd consider it a Let's Play
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

He's funny, but I was more thinking about people I actually follow specifically for Sims content. Gray I follow only for his horrible other stuff.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I think the "mistakes" much has to do that they want feedback from their viewers, playing up to par they would lose lot of thier viewers. People likes to help out and support
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Modifien wrote: »

This is especially true on Twitch. I don't watch many but sometimes I'll get a notification and click on. So much going on that I don't see how they stay focused. 😀 Responding to comments, acknowledging subscriptions, little emoticons popping up on screen. All while trying to play the game. I could never do it.
    Yeah it is an art and skill. DrGluon is one of the few that pulls it off well continuing his stories despite all the distractions. Plus his songs are fun too. I guess there is a difference on how well a storyteller or builder someone is whether I follow them. I get bored with the CAS videos just because that isn't my playstyle. MisterClaws is one of the few that makes CAS interesting with the Sims he creates and he was the one that recommended CaptainSauce to me.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't particularly feel smarter than someone that posts a Lets Play video or a Sims 4 Guide, but I can sure tell when they don't actually play the game enough to know how basic things work.

About the only Lets Plays that I watch are by DrGluon and Call Me Kevin.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    The first time I played university one of my sims got 2 Fs.
    It was because I didn't want the sim to have As since it didn't suit their personality and I was aiming for a B or a C. For some reason I failed two classes I had done homework for a few times. I wrote one "poor" term paper thinking it would get me a C not an F!
    It seems that acing or failing the semesters is sometimes easier than landing somewhere in the middle.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Also of course people like lilsimsie aren't faking it. She just builds, she doesn't play the game, like ever. So it's understandable that she knows nothing about it.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2020
    The only Let's Plays I have watched are Rags to Riches types. Any other type bores me. I like seeing the progress of them starting off on a lot with nothing and then slowly building a house after they get money. I watched a few Off-The-Grid ones around the time Eco Lifestyle was released and it wasn't so bad. After like 3 episodes max I'd say is when I'm over it and just wanna play the game myself. There have been a few times when I've seen them play and they can't figure something out and the option is literally right there on the screen. Or, I've seen them place something on the lot, then scroll off to look at something else, and then they forgot they placed the item and can't find it. Idk, maybe they're stressed because they have to record themselves.