Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blast from the past. What the sims used to be.

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Sims 2 isn't really all that "outdated" in its looks, with a little help from CC. It can look really incredible.
    My friend Mortia plays a medieval game, and she has some truly beautiful pictures in this thread - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915458/the-kingdom-of-dallubach/p1

I really find it difficult to understand why people say The Sims 2 looks bad. Are you people playing in HD resolution with smooth edges on full and square shadow fix?
    I play that way and the game looks awesome for a 16 year old game. It doesn't even look bad in terms of graphics to me. I don't know why, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too accustomed.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Sims 2 isn't really all that "outdated" in its looks, with a little help from CC. It can look really incredible.
    My friend Mortia plays a medieval game, and she has some truly beautiful pictures in this thread - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915458/the-kingdom-of-dallubach/p1

I really find it difficult to understand why people say The Sims 2 looks bad. Are you people playing in HD resolution with smooth edges on full and square shadow fix?
    I play that way and the game looks awesome for a 16 year old game. It doesn't even look bad in terms of graphics to me. I don't know why, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too accustomed.

For someone who just started playing Sims 2 I agree that it looks much better than expected. I do play it at ultra settings though. Aesthetically it’s very close to sims 3 and when I’m not taking the actual sims into consideration I tend to confuse the two. The objects are incredibly similar or in some cases the same. But after that it’s really a matter of taste.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Gameplay in TS2 is astounding! I don't mind the graphics at all especially if you use CC because there are/were some amazingly talented TS2 creators. The biggest problem for me when going back to TS2 are the sims themselves. Not their personalities or actions/animations, but the look of them. I'm a visual snob so it's really hard for me to get totally back into it because of the fact you can't modify them. They are twig thin, weighing 90 pounds and built like a 12 year old. Even the "fat" sims aren't really that much bigger. If I could have the customization of TS3 or TS4 in TS2, I would probably never move on to another game.
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    The post nails exactly what is missing from TS4: TONE and DEPTH. The VERY cringy promos for recent expansion packs (with the stupid, trying-to-sound-cool narration designed for 12-year-olds at best) make me ashamed of this game. TS2 was a game that kids could play, but it wasn't dumbed down. It made sense for adults to play it; there were consequences, personality quirks. I'm not sure that's true of TS4.

What is so disappointing is that TS2 was a natural extension of TS1. It looked better. It had more stuff yes, but more importantly, it fleshed out the sims themselves and added depth to relationships and personalities. Back then, I would have assumed that each new version of The Sims would take it in that direction...keep it a life simulator, but improve on what is there, add even more depth and range to personalities, more complex relationships, more range to aspirations, etc. Instead, they appear to be going in the opposite direction. They add a lot of stuff. But have actually given up on life simulation, interesting personalities, and depth.