Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it a coincidence University had knitting?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think knitting would have won over the better choices without their involvement! When they want to sway public opinion, they always post a poll, and then make the opinion they want win. It's tiresome honestly.

But that's your opinion, that the other choices were better. (Quite honestly, knitting was last on my list too). However, the majority of people's opinions was clearly that they wanted knitting. It actually shouldn't be surprising after every one wanted to do laundry. :D

If they want to put whatever they want into a pack, they have every single other expansion, game pack and stuff pack that we don't get a say in to do that. 17 stuff packs and we had a choice in 2 of them. That leaves 15 to do as they please and we're not even done yet. Never mind the expansions and game packs.

But did you notice? Everytime they want to put out a pack they know won't be great they have a community vote to make it look like those packs are what everyone wants.

I don't know why they went through this route. In previous iterations, they would just come out with amazing packs even though we never got to vote on them.

They really need to hire new ideas people!

• Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Some of the people who voted for other things insist the votes were tampered with just because they cant see how something "boring" as knitting can ever be more popular amongst voters than a theme they consider superior. I am not talking about you, George. I mean the comments i read on twitter. To be fair, maybe people were gonna still speculate even if knitting did not win. Anyway, no i dont think this is a strong evidence, it could be that they chose those themes for us to vote on because they have them ready to some degree. That is what i personally think currently.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think knitting would have won over the better choices without their involvement! When they want to sway public opinion, they always post a poll, and then make the opinion they want win. It's tiresome honestly.

But that's your opinion, that the other choices were better. (Quite honestly, knitting was last on my list too). However, the majority of people's opinions was clearly that they wanted knitting. It actually shouldn't be surprising after every one wanted to do laundry. :D

If they want to put whatever they want into a pack, they have every single other expansion, game pack and stuff pack that we don't get a say in to do that. 17 stuff packs and we had a choice in 2 of them. That leaves 15 to do as they please and we're not even done yet. Never mind the expansions and game packs.

But did you notice? Everytime they want to put out a pack they know won't be great they have a community vote to make it look like those packs are what everyone wants.

I don't know why they went through this route. In previous iterations, they would just come out with amazing packs even though we never got to vote on them.

They really need to hire new ideas people!

Can't say that I noticed that, but can you really notice a pattern after just two times? I think I'd need to see a lot more community votes for packs to say it's a trend. Besides, I saw nothing but love for laundry day! So much so that I bought it a little while after and yeah... it was laundry... *yawn* ha! Personally didn't see the appeal in the pack but it has a door I use all the time now and the dryer is great for starting fires so I guess there's that.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yarn Bombing is a thing. Well at least it was way before DU was released. It’s been quite prominent in cities. I’ve seen lampposts covered in that stuff. I’m not a fan.
    In saying that, I don’t think anything is coincidental when it comes to TS4.

The devs want to make things they like. Because after all, they’re the ones who will have to work on this specific thing for months.
    The devs who had the idea of creating a -Yarn bombing the college statue- option in DU, may have been the same devs that proposed one of the community voting themes: Arts & Crafts-knitting. Because that’s what some of them do at home. They knit.

The Devs would have created a list of options that they like to make and know they can make within a certain time frame. Something like sewing wasn’t in it, possibly because:
    • it’ll be part of another pack that was already-and still is in development.
    • the devs don’t want to make it.
    • it’s already in TS mobile, so they had to look for other, newer options.

Regardless of the poll outcome, the devs would have wanted and probably will work on all the features, so it’s very likely we’ll see some of them return in separate packs, if not all.

The animations would not have been pre-made. Unless one of the animators was so passionate about knitting and did some tests in their own time, I don’t believe they where ready for polishing.
    Too much money is involved in creating and testing animation and it has to be prioritized which team will do which animation. The animation for knitting would have started after knitting was the prioritized stuff pack.
    What might have happened is that the animators created simple poses or gave the director a rough idea about how sims would move when interacting with the objects proposed in any of the themes. But that’s about it.

I also believe that it’s possible that Happy Haunts got the winning vote, but after looking at all the ideas that the community shared on the forums and other platforms, the devs could have decided it would suit a Game Pack (or EP?)much better and somehow pushed for the second best pack, which was Arts and Crafts- to win.

One way or another, after the community votes where finalized and the outcome was clear, another list of priorities was made to see which theme would suit which pack.
    Looking at this possible upcoming space/future Game Pack, I can imagine it to include the portable telescope and the hologram friend.
    And somewhere in the future we’ll see some of the other features too, not just because the community wants them, but because the devs want to work on them, knowing they have the ability to do so.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I know I’m hoping that a lot of their other ideas besides knitting make it into the game. Knitting was my first choice. But, I liked many of the other things too, the blender, the microscope and telescope, the seance and Psychic career, and some of the high tech fitness stuff to name a few.
  • Options
    I’d also just like to slide in again to say that despite the animation controversy (which I agree with) I think stuff packs have markedly improved for the better since Moschino.

I actually didn't think anything was wrong with Moschino pack? What was wrong with it?

I liked it too, I do think it should have had more clothes in the pack though.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I’d also just like to slide in again to say that despite the animation controversy (which I agree with) I think stuff packs have markedly improved for the better since Moschino.

@popstarsley I fully agree, though that doesn't mean they are perfect (at least to me, I only own 4 of them) there have been improvements. Remember those early stuff packs, I mean I don't even wanna go there :lol:

@SimmerGeorge omg I keep trying and trying and trying to get Romantic Garden Stuff just because...it's $10 so why not? But it looks like it literally brings nothing to the game, so I don't! Recent Stuff Packs, whether one appreciates the theme or not, have brought so much more than just "stuff."

@popstarsley Yes me too. I'm desperate for more landscaping this is why Romantic Garden is so high up on my list but everytime I want to go buy it I'm like really? Spend 10€ for like 12 landscape items... oh man.
    Now at least we get stuff like the photography skill and stuff which is better.

Romantic garden was one of my least favorite packs. But, I don’t use the wishing well or landscape very much. However, I have a few of the statues for a church, and some in parks. And, I believe there was a hairstyle and clothes I liked a lot. It was worth it to me. Heck, you can’t hardly get a fast food meal for 10 bucks.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

@popstarsley I fully agree, though that doesn't mean they are perfect (at least to me, I only own 4 of them) there have been improvements. Remember those early stuff packs, I mean I don't even wanna go there :lol:

@SimmerGeorge omg I keep trying and trying and trying to get Romantic Garden Stuff just because...it's $10 so why not? But it looks like it literally brings nothing to the game, so I don't! Recent Stuff Packs, whether one appreciates the theme or not, have brought so much more than just "stuff."

@popstarsley Yes me too. I'm desperate for more landscaping this is why Romantic Garden is so high up on my list but everytime I want to go buy it I'm like really? Spend 10€ for like 12 landscape items... oh man.
    Now at least we get stuff like the photography skill and stuff which is better.

Romantic garden was one of my least favorite packs. But, I don’t use the wishing well or landscape very much. However, I have a few of the statues for a church, and some in parks. And, I believe there was a hairstyle and clothes I liked a lot. It was worth it to me. Heck, you can’t hardly get a fast food meal for 10 bucks.

@SheriSim57 Yeah but food and video games are not the same when it comes to market value so comparing them like that is difficult.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Someone from the team should spill the tea in the dark forums
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    I think they only had very limited animations. The Uni knitting is not as good and detailed as the NK knitting. How about the teaching child to knit animations?

My take on it is that they realized there are other ways to make crafting hobby (sewing, brodery, croaching(?) etc) and decided to run a community poll to check the interest *before* actually developing the knitting animations. Thy even asked us how we felt about sims standing up when knitting (the Uni way?), then most of us disliked that idea, and I don't think the Uni animation (standing) is in the NK pack at all.

I don't feel bad about Uni having a little knitting at all. Hey, we had a few knitted sweaters all the way back in the base game... :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    A clue from University that was 8 months before Nifty Knitting.
    So what if the Tiny Living has clues to a
    all-in-one bunk beds & all-in-one-bathroom in a new game in late August?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Yarn Bombing is a thing. Well at least it was way before DU was released. It’s been quite prominent in cities. I’ve seen lampposts covered in that stuff. I’m not a fan.
    In saying that, I don’t think anything is coincidental when it comes to TS4.

The devs want to make things they like. Because after all, they’re the ones who will have to work on this specific thing for months.
    The devs who had the idea of creating a -Yarn bombing the college statue- option in DU, may have been the same devs that proposed one of the community voting themes: Arts & Crafts-knitting. Because that’s what some of them do at home. They knit.

The Devs would have created a list of options that they like to make and know they can make within a certain time frame. Something like sewing wasn’t in it, possibly because:
    • it’ll be part of another pack that was already-and still is in development.
    • the devs don’t want to make it.
    • it’s already in TS mobile, so they had to look for other, newer options.

Regardless of the poll outcome, the devs would have wanted and probably will work on all the features, so it’s very likely we’ll see some of them return in separate packs, if not all.

The animations would not have been pre-made. Unless one of the animators was so passionate about knitting and did some tests in their own time, I don’t believe they where ready for polishing.
    Too much money is involved in creating and testing animation and it has to be prioritized which team will do which animation. The animation for knitting would have started after knitting was the prioritized stuff pack.
    What might have happened is that the animators created simple poses or gave the director a rough idea about how sims would move when interacting with the objects proposed in any of the themes. But that’s about it.

I also believe that it’s possible that Happy Haunts got the winning vote, but after looking at all the ideas that the community shared on the forums and other platforms, the devs could have decided it would suit a Game Pack (or EP?)much better and somehow pushed for the second best pack, which was Arts and Crafts- to win.

One way or another, after the community votes where finalized and the outcome was clear, another list of priorities was made to see which theme would suit which pack.
    Looking at this possible upcoming space/future Game Pack, I can imagine it to include the portable telescope and the hologram friend.
    And somewhere in the future we’ll see some of the other features too, not just because the community wants them, but because the devs want to work on them, knowing they have the ability to do so.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 I love every single one f your posts. (Not a stalker I promise lol😝 I just see you everywhere)
    They are always informative, insightful, thought provoking and funny.

I definitely agree with this it sounds very reasonable.👍
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    A rigged vote makes no sense marketing-wise. The most voted theme means the biggest public adhesion and therefore the most sales...
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    seasons has knitting stuff as well an that came well before DU.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    seasons has knitting stuff as well an that came well before DU.

Much as I hate to play into the conspiracy theory here, having knitted clothing or blanket textures is not the same as having knitting animation. There are knits in base game.

To the best of my ability, I don't recall any Buy mode assets that were directly knitting related - yarn balls, needles, a craft basket, etc.

That said, I don't think the vote was rigged. I do think that they developed their list of options from things they already had notes for, or existing assets (animations or items) that they could expand and/or modify.