Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else hope the Galaxys Edge GP is Maxis testing the waters?

keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
Maybe it’s delusional fanboy giddiness, but I am genuinely hoping this new Star Wars game pack is EA looking to broaden the scope of their Star Wars games while they still have the licence. I don’t know how much of an overlap of Simmers and Star Wars gamers there is, but could this pack be testing the waters for an interest in a Star Wars life simulation game?

It’s nothing that already exists in Star Wars gaming, peeling away from flight sims and shoot-em-ups, to delve into the unique and diverse worlds of the galaxy, explore the many species and cultures from a totally new point of view. And who better to pioneer this new area in gaming than the leading developers of the life sim genre?

Imagine playing as a smuggler travelling the galaxy and building out your starship interior with sims-level precision, a gangster cartel boss operating on some backwater world, a farmer eking out a living on a frontier world, an artist living in a picturesque villa on Naboo and selling your artworks to a wealthy-connoisseur senator on Coruscant—with a high standing in the galactic republic senate offices—and pulling some strings to benefit your home planet. Imagine being able to vote on galactic matters, save planets from catastrophe or oppress them with an orbital blockade.

Ah the stories I could tell. Am I crazy, or is this something that could be a bit refreshing for both the sims and the Star Wars franchises?

Comments

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Maybe it’s delusional fanboy giddiness, but I am genuinely hoping this new Star Wars game pack is EA looking to broaden the scope of their Star Wars games while they still have the licence. I don’t know how much of an overlap of Simmers and Star Wars gamers there is, but could this pack be testing the waters for an interest in a Star Wars life simulation game?

It’s nothing that already exists in Star Wars gaming, peeling away from flight sims and shoot-em-ups, to delve into the unique and diverse worlds of the galaxy, explore the many species and cultures from a totally new point of view. And who better to pioneer this new area in gaming than the leading developers of the life sim genre?

Imagine playing as a smuggler travelling the galaxy and building out your starship interior with sims-level precision, a gangster cartel boss operating on some backwater world, a farmer eking out a living on a frontier world, an artist living in a picturesque villa on Naboo and selling your artworks to a wealthy-connoisseur senator on Coruscant—with a high standing in the galactic republic senate offices—and pulling some strings to benefit your home planet. Imagine being able to vote on galactic matters, save planets from catastrophe or oppress them with an orbital blockade.

Ah the stories I could tell. Am I crazy, or is this something that could be a bit refreshing for both the sims and the Star Wars franchises?

I’m not super into Star Wars, but I have often wished I could take the Sims ‘life sim’ style into other genres.

On the one hand I love a modern realism based game and in some ways understand folks who are like ‘get this scifi/fantasy stuff out of my life sim!’ and on the other hand I’d really love to play a life sim set in other worlds, for the chance to play in those worlds without it necessarily having to be a big violent high stakes adventure.

Like I know I’m not the only one who was disappointed when The Sims Medieval was a story-based RPG instead of just The Sims: But It’s Medieval Now.

If they came out with a full fledged The Sims: But It’s Star Wars Now, especially if the emphasis wasn’t on existing characters, but instead on the regular people (and aliens!) and the world, even though I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan out there, I’d definitely be interested in the change of pace.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I’d be absolutely over the moon if Star Wars got its own life sim, separate from The Sims. (Not that I dislike the idea of a Star Wars pack, but if they ever wanted to go all-in on the idea, it’d have to be its own game.) I think a lot of Star Wars fans would enjoy a game that puts you in the SW universe and basically allows you to tell whatever stories you want to create. The Knights of the Old Republic games always made me wish a game like that existed, since they have you completely immersed in the world of Star Wars, but you’re still limited by the story of the game.

But it’s also an idea that would be so new and unique as far as Star Wars games go, that I don’t think EA/whatever branch of Lucasfilm makes video game related decisions now would be willing to take the risk of trying out something different.

I do, personally, think it would be incredibly refreshing to see Star Wars games take a new route, rather than just sticking to space combat or FPS games, with the occasional RPG.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Having played the original Star Wars RPG (by West End Games) I'd love to be able to revisit some of those characters and play them in a Sims type game. I doubt I could ever properly do justice to the Great Wunna Wunna Hunt, but it would be fun to recreate 'Drin, Crik, and the rest that I can't quite remember their names (it was 30 years ago..)
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    Is this pack for real though? It actually kind of churns my stomach that such a pack is going to exist. It kind of drags me out of my immersion in the game when you have pretty blatant product placement like this, and even though I did like Star Wars, I have absolutely no interest in an IP crossover with the Sims.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Is this pack for real though? It actually kind of churns my stomach that such a pack is going to exist. It kind of drags me out of my immersion in the game when you have pretty blatant product placement like this, and even though I did like Star Wars, I have absolutely no interest in an IP crossover with the Sims.

It’s not yet confirmed, so there’s not a 100% guarantee, but (imo) it’s the only thing that really makes sense with the evidence.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

Like I know I’m not the only one who was disappointed when The Sims Medieval was a story-based RPG instead of just The Sims: But It’s Medieval Now.

Totally agree about that, it’d have to be a forge-your-own adventure type sandbox game, which is also quite unique for Star Wars as most of their games are very story driven and strict to canon, but yeah it’s not something that I would want in a life sim.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    So it's DEFINITLEY going to be a Star Wars GP?
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited August 2020
    I’m not against it but I’m not for it either. This would just prove that the sims is going to a different direction & not really listening to what their fan base has wanted or is asking for. If they do bring in lightsaber etc I hope that ALL occult’s are able to use it & become a Jedi/Sith or whatever new “occult type” they’re bringing in. 6 years & the game still feels incomplete
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member

We don't know. It's just speculation right now.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Isharell wrote: »

We don't know. It's just speculation right now.

Speculation but 80% sure xD
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    At first I read "Galaxy Edge" and I was like "Oh they're doing a Samsung GP now ?! What the ?!" then I remembered it's the name of the Star Wars land at Disney World :lol
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Want. NOW.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I would love a Star Wars simulation game and I'd totally play it. But I'll be honest, I don't think that's what this pack is. I'd definitely have fun with a Star Wars pack, but personally, I think Star Wars is only a loose inspiration to whatever this actually is.

Either way, it has my interest and my only hope is that the pack doesn't turn out to be something boring or mundane. After environmental politics and knitting, I'm in desperate need for something fun and interesting.

Banality...setting...in...... Send...help...
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2020

I think the most star war related it will be is lightsaber fights like two witch sims can spar in Realm Of Magic. There may be some Star War clothing and accessories. I'm hoping the storm trooper outfits make it in. I think the pack will mainly be on sims vacationing or living on another planet and maybe colonizing.

A lot of buy build items could potentially be future shock high tech related. Small Telescopes may return as well.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I will work with whatever we get :)

Not going to lie, Star Wars is huge to me and I would love to be able to live in that universe. Know it is still just speculations but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    It would be great if they made more offshoots of The Sims: maybe a whole secondary franchise committed to just occult or extraworldly lifestyles. It is getting pretty confusing as to what the franchise actually is right now.
  • Options
    SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    It's an interesting concept. Personally I'm more of a Harry Potter fan myself, and am awaiting the new Hogwarts game that should be announced soon.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm actually excited if it IS a Star Wars GP! But Ive been so disappointed before with TS4 's packs, so I'm going to just try waiting and see.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited August 2020
    I would be interested in a Star Wars Life Simulator that combines ‘The Sims‘ and ‘Spore‘.
    A LS where the player has the ability to:
    • Create new planets and worlds with a CAW-like tool and colonize them. Not only lots, but also planets could have a trait system based on weather & environmental characteristics, such as quake zone, hot surface, ice cold surface, dust storms etc.: The terms of your sim’s life are dictated by the forces of nature present on that planet.
    • Create new creatures and human(oid) sims using spore’s creature creation mechanics, which also includes height slider support.
    • Create backstories based on SW lore and give sims a proper memory system that will influence their character needs.
    • Create Vehicles/ Transport with a Create a Vehicle Tool. Vehicles could include anything from dune buggies to small spaceships. Large Star- or Spaceships would exist as moving ‘lots’ that one can enter with smaller vehicles.
    I’d like a simulator like that if it wasn’t based on SW.
    ...dam.mit I would like to work on a game like that.... :#
  • Options
    I would be interested in a Star Wars Life Simulator that combines ‘The Sims‘ and ‘Spore‘.
    • Create new planets and worlds with a CAW-like tool and colonize them. Not only lots, but also planets could have a trait system based on weather & environmental characteristics, such as quake zone, hot surface, ice cold surface, dust storms etc.: The terms of your sim’s life are dictated by the forces of nature present on that planet.
    • Create new creatures and human(oid) sims using spore’s creature creation mechanics, which also includes height slider support.
    • Create backstories based on SW lore and give sims a proper memory system that will influence their character needs.
    • Create Vehicles/ Transport with a Create a Vehicle Tool. Vehicles could include anything from dune buggies to small spaceships. Large Star- or Spaceships would exist as moving ‘lots’ that one can enter with smaller vehicles.

Love every word. Especially the idea of combining a life sim with elements of spore’s creation tools, building vehicles in spore was my favourite part of that game.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I'll not getting a Star Wars pack. it simply won't go well with my existing game. I don't really see it fitting with the SIMS concept at all, but hey ho. I'm all fine with this though, as I always wanted every other pack to be a pack I easily could skip. My hard disk is full packs ago, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

I would play the hell out of this game.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    A combination of Star Wars/Star Trek/Stargate themes would be so much better.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    A combination of Star Wars/Star Trek/Stargate themes would be so much better.

That is why I would prefer a more generic space pack, versatile enough to be useful for different kinds of space stories. Just like realm of magic is not a Harry Potter pack, I would like a space pack to not be just star wars.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    I’m not super into Star Wars, but I have often wished I could take the Sims ‘life sim’ style into other genres.

On the one hand I love a modern realism based game and in some ways understand folks who are like ‘get this scifi/fantasy stuff out of my life sim!’ and on the other hand I’d really love to play a life sim set in other worlds, for the chance to play in those worlds without it necessarily having to be a big violent high stakes adventure.

If they came out with a full fledged The Sims: But It’s Star Wars Now, especially if the emphasis wasn’t on existing characters, but instead on the regular people (and aliens!) and the world, even though I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan out there, I’d definitely be interested in the change of pace.

I was discussing the new trailer for State of Decay 3 with some people and, aside from zombie wildlife and snow it doesn't reveal much about what might be in the game. So we started talking about what we'd like to see, and my list was basically The Sims: Zombie Apocalypse. Let me design and style my survivors, let me turn any building into my home base, let me spread my survivors out to different bases across the map, let me control interactions between my survivors more. (And, oh, yeah, get around to dealing with zombies eventually.)

I have Sims Medieval on my computer still because I keep thinking I'll actually play it, but I definitely didn't want a story-based thing. I still really want a game that's just the Sims But It's Medieval Now.

And I'm the same way about Star Wars. I wouldn't want a Star Wars Sims game like The Sims Medieval, but a The Sims But It's Star Wars Now would be fine by me. Heck, while we're at it, give me The Sims But It's The Marvel Cinematic Universe Now, where there are established "households" of various MCU characters, both super and not, and you can make your own characters as well. I'd definitely be less interested in a licensed Sims game like that if it didn't have the established characters, but I wouldn't want to only play as them. (And I'd want generational play anyway, so I could play out what the next generations of the setting might be.)