Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want pre-teens?

Comments

• Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    NO! I don't want another life stage
    telmarina wrote: »
    Imo only YA have lots of options, all the other life stages are somehow negleted, needing a lot of work to get to a good point. That's why i don't need a new life stage.

I agree on not needing or wanting another fine division in pre-adulthood, but people often say other life stages aside from YA are neglected, and so I want to know: what can Young Adults do, that Adults also can't do? Why do people think everything is aimed at Young Adults in this game? They can literally do all the same things. Elders too, except they have to watch their exertion levels. So how are Adults and Older Adults (Elders) excluded from anything?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2020
    Pre-teens if shorter than teens, young adults, and elders, but taller than children are in the game they will require a totally separate clothing category. Just look at how little we get for kids and toddlers now. It will be the same with preteens. A pack will release with all kinds of clothes for T-E and everyone will be like “why nothing for kids, toddlers, or preteens”? Twitter will fill with #justiceforpreteens YouTubers will make 30-40 minute rant videos about how preteens are totally neglected 😩. No, just no. I would much prefer the devs spend their time and budgets on actual gameplay features that are enjoyable. Not developing an animation rig for a made up life state.

A preteen is a kid, plain and simple. They’re just kids. Birth-12 is preteen. It’s not a magical life state it’s a phony baloney term made up by marketers to target a demographic for advertising. Seriously, the term didn’t even exist when I was a kid. It literally appeared a few years after my son was born in the mid 90s. It is 100% unicorn 🦄 dust.
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    just make the teens shorter. i dont want another lifestage there.
    This will cause the same problem. They will require an entirely new wardrobe category that will be devoid of choices and ignored in subsequent packs and by CC creators.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited May 2020
    Neutral - have no opinion
    @Pamtastic72 Why would shorter teens require an entirely separate wardrobe category? There are already height mods out there and the clothing fits just fine on every height.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The team need to further develop gameplay for kids and teens as they are lacking so much especially teens at least kids have their own clothes and different gameplay objects. Also I don't get what a pre-teen is anyway people say it's middle school age but where I am (uk) we don't have middle schools just primary and secondary (kids and teens) so I don't see what a pre-teen would add to my game. I see kids in the game as about 8 or 9 and the teens as about 15 or 16 and toddlers about 2-3. I'm not a huge fan of freeing babies as I prefer the easiness of caring for them attached to the crib but I would rather they free babies than add pre-teens.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I am not against the idea of preteens as I love family play, but I am far more interested in developing the life stages we already have.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I would like if they give the current teens a makeover. Like, make them more teen-like, if you now what I'm saying.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Nope. I think they should just make teens more like teens. I don't think a new lifestage is needed. Especially since the ones we have are already so neglected.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2020
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @Pamtastic72 Why would shorter teens require an entirely separate wardrobe category? There are already height mods out there and the clothing fits just fine on every height.

I have seen the clothing on height adjusted sims...hard pass. They look clippy and out of proportion. 👎🏻
    One thing that would be nice is if they could make the acne from parenthood active instead of a skin detail we have to mess with in CAS. If KawaiiStacie can do it in her mod with preventative treatments to boot I don’t see why the devs couldn’t.

As far as height, my son was my height 5’10 by the end of fifth grade (about age 11) so I don’t find the height situation unrealistic, nor the fact that they change height rapidly between ages because speaking as a parent that’s exactly how it seems in real life honestly. One minute you’re bringing them home from the hospital swaddled in blankets 👶🏼 and then an hour later you’re crying at their high school graduation 👨‍🎓. It’s nuts.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @Pamtastic72 I don't know what height mods you have seen then, but I have adjustable heights and none of my outfits clip on any of my characters because of their height.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    YES!! I WANT PRE-TEENS!
    I need them for some of my stories. I've put so many ideas on hold because of the massive gap between kids and teens.
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    No, like alot of others, I'd rather they fix teens so the don't look like young adults. If they can't do that, then "YES" I want pre teens.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited May 2020
    What is it that everyone thinks pre-teens do that kids or teens don't? Because I have had 4 (mine are all 14+ now) and I just don't see it...
    They do kids things and they do teen things, there aren't like... special things...
    They just need to add more for the existing stages to do.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If teenagers were better defined we wouldn't need pre-teens.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2020
    Duvelina wrote: »

I have seen the clothing on height adjusted sims...hard pass. They look clippy and out of proportion. 👎🏻
    One thing that would be nice is if they could make the acne from parenthood active instead of a skin detail we have to mess with in CAS. If KawaiiStacie can do it in her mod with preventative treatments to boot I don’t see why the devs couldn’t.

As far as height, my son was my height 5’10 by the end of fifth grade (about age 11) so I don’t find the height situation unrealistic, nor the fact that they change height rapidly between ages because speaking as a parent that’s exactly how it seems in real life honestly. One minute you’re bringing them home from the hospital swaddled in blankets 👶🏼 and then an hour later you’re crying at their high school graduation 👨‍🎓. It’s nuts.

Height slider mods works fine for me, nothing out of proportion for me...

I use height sliders to adjust their height slightly because teens in this game usually have a slimmer body so I think they look weird when they have the same height as a young adult, they look stretched out.

dsSsuaA.png
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Nope, I can't see the point. I would rather see babies not be objects any longer and, maybe, flesh out the child and teen life stages more.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    They wouldn't add anything meaningful to the game for me, so no.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    eriindelleeriindelle Posts: 5 New Member
    YES!! I WANT PRE-TEENS!
    I do find the jump from child to teenager very jarring - especially since teenagers in the Sims 4 basically are just copies of young adults anyway. The only difference between the two is that young adults don't go to high school LOL. However, if the concept of adding another life stage is too much for the Sims team to develop and other simmers to accept, perhaps a better alternative would be to create a more realistic transition between the child stage and teen stage. I miss when they looked like actual teenagers in the Sims 3 - why can't we have that in the Sims 4?

While they're at it, creating more meaningful interactions with the younger lifestages (babies, toddlers, children, teenagers) would definitely make them more interesting to play with. That would be another potential alternative to the additional lifestage, in my opinion.
  • Options
    LaniNeptuneLaniNeptune Posts: 19 Member
    As a builder yes if it gives me more items to build with muahahahahahaahhhaah! As a casual actually playing the game heck no! I barely enjoy playing anything buy young adult and up, but they get pregnant and have babies and just ugh.

I love building the rooms for toddlers, children and teens not raising them.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I don't want another pre-adult life stage. I would like a couple of new stages for older sims, middle age would be great. Currently adult sims can still have babies, whereas in the real world, it's pretty rare for someone 45+ to be giving birth, meaning there should be at least one more age between adult and elder.
    And then there should be a venerable age after elder.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Um, aren't preteens called kids?

Yep. or toddlers, or even babies, all pre teen.

I think what they're really asking for is tweens. Though, the concept really only works in English or any other language that does that weird thing for 13 plus.
    Everywhere else, there's 10, 10&1, 10&2, 10&3, 10&4, 10&5, etc, with there overall concept running between the ages of 10 and 19, leaving no room for tweens.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    divsimsdivsims Posts: 8 New Member
    YES!! I WANT PRE-TEENS!
    I am a family player and I would love tweens, there quite a few options you could include:
    - limited romance with other tween sims
    - middle sschool
    - feeling tense and the buff 'my body is changing?'
    - actually growing
    - getting their first persion and feeling tense, or getting a wet dream and feeling embarrased
    - 'do i like him?' introduces the idea of crushes, even though this could be a teen thing
    - varied curfews
    - 'look at body' option in the mirror (it sounds wierd but its meant to be realistic, right?)
    - 'why is nothing happening?' possibly a late bloomer
    - custom tween traits 'fast bloomer', 'late bloomer' etc..
    i have more and feel free to ask, but i cant be bothered to type more, haha
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    i would rather more focus on making the existing stages more unique from one another.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2020
    I don't think we would ever get preteens. Because first of all preteen is literally any age below a teen?
    But I know people mean like 11 12 I guess?

I was playing around with kids today and as much as I like to imagine they are about 7,I honestly think they were meant to be what people consider preteens. If you compare them to sims 3 kids you can clearly tell they are older.
    If you dress them more teenish and make the right faces in CAS they literally look like 11 12ish 10 at the youngest.

So if we get preteens for me it's just going to be so awkwardly similar and I don't understand what difference or changes they could make. It would be like a duplicate lifestate. Just my opinion though.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    edited June 2020
    YES!! I WANT PRE-TEENS!
    Despite wanting more immediate things fixed first, I answered YES. The jump from child to teen is a little too stark for my liking, adding a new life stage increases the overall lifespan of a sim, pre-teens have a completely different set of life challenges to overcome. I think it's a sound investment.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    LaracroftEyes1LaracroftEyes1 Posts: 296 Member
    YES!! I WANT PRE-TEENS!
    Yes, I want preteens but first EA needs to update the babies so they're aren't objects.
    d10f10cfadd5b2e97043ba6ec57f8ced.jpg
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    eriindelle wrote: »
    I do find the jump from child to teenager very jarring - especially since teenagers in the Sims 4 basically are just copies of young adults anyway. The only difference between the two is that young adults don't go to high school LOL. However, if the concept of adding another life stage is too much for the Sims team to develop and other simmers to accept, perhaps a better alternative would be to create a more realistic transition between the child stage and teen stage. I miss when they looked like actual teenagers in the Sims 3 - why can't we have that in the Sims 4?
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Despite wanting more immediate things fixed first, I answered YES. The jump from child to teen is a little too stark for my liking, adding a new life stage increases the overall lifespan of a sim, pre-teens have a completely different set of life challenges to overcome. I think it's a sound investment.

To answer both of these, you don't actually want pre-teens. You want the teenage life stage in game to reflect actual teenage years, and look like proper teens. I think a lot of people are conflating the faults of the existing teen life stage with the need to have a pre-teen stage. If the Teen life stage was designed properly, it would fill that void you're missing. Preteens are what? 10-12? That's not really a stage of life. There are no real challenges or developmental things happening here that don't fall under older children or younger teens. What challenges do they exactly face that are unique to those 2 years of life? 13 is the beginning of teenage years, when hormones generally start to kick in, and that actually starts to present unique challenges. But nothing prior to that really can offer anything different than kids or teens.