Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Probation?

So my Sims' first semester went well in university. She got a couple A+ and a C+ and then the next semester she got put on probation and got like all D's? I didn't do anything different. What changed? This next time, I added studying in. Does that help at all or not? I'm just kind of confused why she got put on probation all of the sudden.
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• Options
    beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    Do you have seasons?
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Yes I do but I never stopped school. I had her go straight through.
    Do you have seasons?

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    Do you have seasons?

Holidays were still active though, yes?
  • Options
    Yes but they never interrupted my play. I either did the holidays when they were done with classes or I didn't do them if she needed to study.
    Do you have seasons?

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    Yes but they never interrupted my play. I either did the holidays when they were done with classes or I didn't do them if she needed to study.
    Do you have seasons?

Hmm. Well, there goes that theory. Not sure what might have caused it then.
  • Options
    One time she was late to class but she was on her way she was just late. Could that have made it happen? But I'm not quite sure why she got such terrible grades. Does studying help before doing the homework?
    Do you have seasons?

Hmm. Well, there goes that theory. Not sure what might have caused it then.

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Did your sim have a low level in the skill related to the courses she took? I've found having a high skill level in the relevant skill means you need to put in less effort.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Well she had no skills basically when she started school and now on some of the stuff she's on like level 6 now. Does that what studying helps with? To gain that skill?
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    Did your sim have a low level in the skill related to the courses she took? I've found having a high skill level in the relevant skill means you need to put in less effort.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Well she had no skills basically when she started school and now on some of the stuff she's on like level 6 now. Does that what studying helps with? To gain that skill?

Not exactly. Studying helps improve the course grade. If your sim has 0 skill in the skill related to the class they're following, then they'll need to study in addition to doing homework and attending classes if you want a good grade.
    Also, don't submit coursework or presentations early in the term, it'll prevent your sim form additional studying because they already handed in their final assignment.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Oh ok thanks :)

Not exactly. Studying helps improve the course grade. If your sim has 0 skill in the skill related to the class they're following, then they'll need to study in addition to doing homework and attending classes if you want a good grade.
    Also, don't submit coursework or presentations early in the term, it'll prevent your sim form additional studying because they already handed in their final assignment.

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
    I also want to ask this.

If your sim is attending a class, do you have them take notes?
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    I always have my sims take notes or listen attentively. They seem to get better grades because of it.
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited April 2020
    I read somewhere that attending office hours helps too.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    I think the taking notes helps them gain skills I think is what I read. So I am trying to switch back and forth.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I also want to ask this.

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I think being late for class (Looking at you slow travel Foxbury campus) will drop your sims grades, it seemed to do that for my sim.
    I have my sims take notes in class to keep their grades up and once I noticed the grades dropping I had them study and emailed the prof to find out how they were doing. If you haven't turned in your paper or project yet, the prof will tell you you aren't doing well in the email.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
    I think the taking notes helps them gain skills I think is what I read. So I am trying to switch back and forth.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I also want to ask this.

Well, according to the extra information that comes when you hover over it, it increases grade gain. Actively listening increases skill gain rate.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited April 2020

Not quite true, I had 2 sims go through uni and for both their presentation and paper early on. I had them improve it till they no longer could and handed it in. They passed, of course while doing homework and studying, but if your sim prepares their presentation or paper work they can get a good grade early on
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Going to agree with SelinaKyles. My preferred pattern is to enroll (or re-enroll) on Friday, and have the term paper written, edited to outstanding quality, and turned in before the term even begins, and as much as I can do on a presentation if I have one. I also make sure homework is complete for any classes before the first session, and keep up throughout the week.

Any coursework - term papers, presentations, homework and time in class - is skill-gain experience in the skill the class teaches, and benefits from the relevant emotion: Inspired for Painting, Writing, etc., Focus for Logic, Research & Debate, Robotics. Confidence for Charisma, etc.

I only have ended up on probabtion when I had a Sim enrolled, but played other households instead of managing their term. I don't study, or visit office hours, or cozy up to my professors. I do mind my moods, do homework, attend class on "take notes" mode, and make sure side projects are "outstanding". Never less than an A+ so long as I am driving.
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    A lot of good ideas here. I also recommend joining organizations that align with your degree and attending their events. You get extra credit for that once you've reached level 2 in the organization. The quickest way to reach level 2 is by spamming the organization socials with another member.