Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island living is .... pretty but meh

Ok I always wanted a topical destination but this is not a vacation destination it is a world to live in. It is incredibly pretty but that’s all there is in this pack it seems. There are new ways to move around islands but there is hardly any new game play? Like the new calendar system or celebrity system in other EPs. island living is really meh gameplay wise. Does anyone like this pack and if so why ?

Comments

• Options
    Coley666Coley666 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm a builder and do like the ability to build a lot that is half on land, and half in the sea. I also liked the mermaids but generally I agree, it is pretty meh and it's not one I recommend if asked.
    Sims Builder - Coley666
    jWIA95z.png
  • Options
    TennedraTennedra Posts: 25 Member
    I know what you mean. I like the build items and Sulani, but the mermaids are lackluster compared to most occults, like vampires. I feel that a lot more could be done with this pack.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I like it for stories and scenery and the build/buy/CAS.

Game play though, you're right. There's not much to do that's any different from anything in the game already. I don't regret buying it at all though, I really do like the island life as a different way to play and I get a lot of use out of the items that came with it. I didn't pay full price for it however and got it on a 50% sale which is likely why I'm ok with it. I'd have been ticked if I'd paid full price for it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Tennedra wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I like the build items and Sulani, but the mermaids are lackluster compared to most occults, like vampires. I feel that a lot more could be done with this pack.

Mermaids are lackluster compared to vampires and spellcasters because there's very little disagreement as to what a mermaid should be. I've never seen anyone suggest something for a mermaid to do that they can't already do.

Perk trees just don't make sense on a mermaid except to gate off content you've already got access to in Island Living.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sindocat wrote: »
    snip

This is what I love about Island Living, we can have such wildly different experiences. My Sulani is a tourist trap.
    Ohan'ali Town has a colonial house, an overcrowded beach, a lifeguard house, a trashy jetski rental place, and a bougie hotel on the other side of the water, owned by Nancy Landgraab (of course) where tourists eat as a restaurant. It even has a tourist-y tiki bar, because of course.

Lani St. Taz is scuba diving schools and spa resorts, bougie beach wedding venues and a luxury yacht that acts as a floating nightclub.
    Even poor Mua Pel'am hasn't escaped the development that plagues the rest of the islands! It's got its own resort (Sulani is perfect for Spa Day), and a crashed plane out on an island where the survivors scrape by.

My Sulani has... not fared well under colonialism.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited April 2020
    I adore the CAS and the world but I find the gameplay to be a little "eh"
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I love island living 🌺🥥
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    It feels empty and half-baked in many things. Neither the life guard career, nor the diver career is active, which is just hugely wasted potential. Both careers were active in TS3, and it's not like the pack has anything else big in store which would justify these lackluster careers. The diving is completely pointless. It's basically just snorkeling, without any diving lots like in TS3. The lack of an underwater world let's mermaids seem useless as well. What's the point of having a mermaid when they don't even have their own world under the water? Sulani looks really pretty, I give them that, but the neighbors there are even more annoying than the apartment neighbors in San Myshuno, constantly coming over with their free food, even though the fridge is already full.

The bb and cas is fine, I like the new house foundations and roof patterns. The cas items are fine as well, though forgettable and I rarely use them because they seem so out of place anywhere exept Sulani, and I don't have any active family currently living there.

Island Living is one of those expansions that would've been better off as a game pack with lots of wasted potential. I just don't get why they didn't add resorts and hotels to the pack, it would've added more gameplay than anything in the pack combined since resorts could also be used for different worlds in many different styles. Had they added them, we could have placed unique hotels and resorts in any world we'd like, such as a penthouse hotel in San Myshuno, a cabin-styled hotel in Granite Falls and so on. This would have made the pack a worthwhile investment.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I would be happy to have rental lot enabled. Speaking of which I think they should move the two destination locations back as normal worlds to be consistent.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2020
    I love the world, it's my favorite out of all the worlds so far but I wish they either fully fleshed out the gameplay or ditched certain parts.
    The dolphins - pretty but entirely pointless.
    The "summon island elementals" is completely unfinished and is literally just a few random ghosts that appear - should've just been left out entirely if they're not gonna give any narrative behind it.
    The conservation career is awful - there was lots of new conservation features added with this pack to "save the island" but the conservation career is just a rabbithole that uses none of these features, they needed some sort of narrative on saving the island but there's just nothing.
    And finally mermaids - they might as well not be there, there's nothing mermaid specific built into the game they're just average sims that have a tail when they go in water and that's it, the mermaid spells are so un-fleshed out they might aswell not even be there

It's really disappointing since the world, CAS, and build buy is amazing, the gameplay just isn't there. It seems like they tried to do too much and didn't have time to finish it
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

The bb and cas is fine, I like the new house foundations and roof patterns. The cas items are fine as well, though forgettable and I rarely use them because they seem so out of place anywhere exept Sulani, and I don't have any active family currently living there.

Sorry, but the bolded part caught my attention because I feel very differently about the CAS in this pack. I find it surprisingly versatile. Obviously it's all a matter of taste, but have you tried combining the Island Living CAS with items from other packs? I think they work very well for everday, party and hot weather wear in any world.
    UsY2naZ.jpg

Other than that I mainly use Sulani for my Sims to get away from it all and relax. I rarely have families living there, but I use a 'National Park' lot as a rental of sorts and just have my Sims take some days off and take a mini-vacation during which they don't leave Sulani. It is a very nice change of scenery. I agree though that they could have added more gameplay to the pack.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,423 Member
    I have a sim who lives in Sulani. She is a writer and needed somewhere nice and quiet to write her novels. She was supposed to live in the off the grid lot but she needed electricity for her computer to write the novels on so the lot is on the grid now. Anyway, life is quiet there, even the mail lady doesn't quite reach the island every time but does deliver bills on time. The quiet life has made her put on weight, if only she would swim some more. For entertainment she holds beach parties and meets friends for dinner at the pirate ship restaurant. She collects trash on her walks around the island but rarely mixes with the locals. I like Sulani, I love that it's a livable world so my sim doesn't have to spend huge amounts of money to visit and no time limit for the visit, I like the sand and the beach, and it's a nice change of scenery from the regular worlds. It would have been nice if they introduced hotels with it, I loved the room service in TS2, and I suppose a room would be cheaper than renting a whole cottage. They should have added also beach volleyball, and bring back the hula dancing and the pirate song on the accordion.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    edited April 2020
    I agree that they should have introduced hotels and proper diving with the pack, I hope they add at least one of those things as suggested in the survey in January. But I can’t lie I love the whole vibe of island living, just playing there makes me happy, it’s my favourite expansion. Seasons is my worst as well so I’m very against the grain in that respect 😋
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I love Sulani and i like the conservationist stuff. But i was a bit disapointed with no underwater diving and latelly with the mermaids lacking depht. I say latelly because im getting into occults in the last weeks and really enjoying it.
  • Options
    Just completed the conservationist career oh my god was it such a bore ! Politics career work from home, protest , convince people of the cause , kind of fun. Conservationist career , click on an item and watch a recycled animation, research conservation watch sim play computer , clean up rubbish , watch sim well clean , survey wildlife, watch sim play with ipad. Oh dear how lazy is it!
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I like it but don't feel it should have been an EP, more like a GP. It was one of the packs I chose to have more added in their survey.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    tenor.gif?itemid=4951376
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,586 Member
    As an EP, it's underwhelming. I try to see it as a GP sold at the price of an EP. For a GP, it's not that bad. I like the things that are included - there's an awful lot missing though.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    There are certain aspects of it I like and use outside the island world like suntan and odd jobs yes it is a GP level content not EP for sure.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    The simple fact we can restore the island makes me love it. Nothing like going to see the little turtles hatch before work o:)
  • Options
    MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

Sorry, but the bolded part caught my attention because I feel very differently about the CAS in this pack. I find it surprisingly versatile. Obviously it's all a matter of taste, but have you tried combining the Island Living CAS with items from other packs? I think they work very well for everday, party and hot weather wear in any world.
    UsY2naZ.jpg

Other than that I mainly use Sulani for my Sims to get away from it all and relax. I rarely have families living there, but I use a 'National Park' lot as a rental of sorts and just have my Sims take some days off and take a mini-vacation during which they don't leave Sulani. It is a very nice change of scenery. I agree though that they could have added more gameplay to the pack.

Nice! I'm mad I didn't come up with that and I can totally see people wearing those outfits where I live. Also, I agree. I tend to leave Sulani alone only because I don't like the neighbors being nice and bringing me food and kava periodically. It's a lovely gesture, don't get me wrong but shouldn't this happen on a Friday night into the weekend when less people generally work?
  • Options
    Amber_10Amber_10 Posts: 7 New Member
    I am hoping to buy this pack soon.... Should I or should I not??
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    It's worth it with a discount :)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Like deep discount. At GP level. It is definitely a GP not EP!