Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

question about genetics

if i have a sim with freckles or beauty marks, could those features be passed onto their children?
when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye

Comments

• Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,468 Member
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    if i have a sim with freckles or beauty marks, could those features be passed onto their children?

I don't believe so - I think you'll have to apply them in CAS.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    @loubyloulou i had a feeling that was the case, but i just wanted to double check. thanks!
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 951 Member
    At least freckles can. Darrel Charm and Alice Martin had a baby in my game and the toddler has freckles :) I was surprised to notice it when I observed the toddler in CAS and then remembered that Darrel has freckles too.
  • Options
    beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    There's two types of people; those that like freckles and those that are wrong.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,698 Member
    Nope. Freckles and beauty spots are not passed on by the game. In fact, I never even saw them being randomly added.

There's nothing stopping you from adding them manually, as you see would be natural from their DNA. In my game I have one additional DNA-string including both freckles and spots. Also need of glasses etc. What I see is that a sim with freckles might lose them on the next birthday, like if they were regular makeup. So I need to check each sim against DNA on every birthday. I keep all data in a spreadsheet, easy to access.

I wish all this (and more both related to skin and mind) was handled by the game. It also feels very limited that there are only 2 (?) beauty spot positions unless you have Get Famous or download CC. I wish those spots and freckles were included on their skin, and there would also be a chance of spots on their body, not only their face. Pretty much like the pet fur was handles in TS2 (or was it TS3), where a pattern could be the same as parent, but with a slight re-position it would give different visual outcome :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    But I have a child who inherited freckles. I wondered would the freckles disappear if I aged her from toddler to child, but they are still there. I didn't add them, because I hardly ever remember to add small details to my sims.

tT0XBpu.png

I have no idea where she inherited her eyecolour though.
    3Fl6Fzh.png
    oFqnIbZ.png
    rrfQmbh.png
  • Options
    HarleyQuinnGirlHarleyQuinnGirl Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2020
    There's two types of people; those that like freckles and those that are wrong.

Exactly. You're probably crazy if you don't love freckles :p

I do really love freckles though
    Post edited by HarleyQuinnGirl on
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    I have identical twins that inherited their freckles, red hair, and eye color from both parents. :)
    I guess being Viking, there's not much variety in genetics. :p;):D

xRedEtg.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,698 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    But I have a child who inherited freckles. I wondered would the freckles disappear if I aged her from toddler to child, but they are still there. I didn't add them, because I hardly ever remember to add small details to my sims.

tT0XBpu.png

3Fl6Fzh.png
    oFqnIbZ.png
    rrfQmbh.png

Oh, that's way cool! No CC skin?

I never had it happen in my game, and there must have been 500 births by now, LOL. Your mother looks like one of the Strangerville sims, I don't have the Strangerville pack, but I guess we all have the same patches regardless of packs.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I don't think so, cause I use a mod that makes freckles and beauty marks inherited. But maybe there was an update that made them genetic? In which case that mod may be unnecessary now, lol.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,392 Member
    It's possible, but very rare, at least in my saves and I don't use any mods. I've had only one or two Sims that have inherited freckles from their parents. I do love to use freckles a lot on my Sims, but their children hardly ever inherit them.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    haisin wrote: »

tT0XBpu.png

3Fl6Fzh.png
    oFqnIbZ.png
    rrfQmbh.png

Oh, that's way cool! No CC skin?

I never had it happen in my game, and there must have been 500 births by now, LOL. Your mother looks like one of the Strangerville sims, I don't have the Strangerville pack, but I guess we all have the same patches regardless of packs.

Nope, I play vanilla :) That's a lot of births!! Both of the parents are premades (Strangerville and Realm of Magic), but yes I believe we have the same patches. My save is almost 1,5 year old.

I really wish I would remember to use freckles and the different teeth more! It would be fun if the teeth passed on too.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yes, skin details can be inherited and I have even found it to be very common. I have had moles, freckles and even wrinkles inherited on many occasions. Lots of kids in my 100 baby challenge inherited skin details. My patriarch was Vlad and quite a number of them inherited his wrinkles! Some also inherited freckles or moles from their other parent.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I have had plenty of skin details inherited in other saves but I have pictures from the my 100 baby challenge closest to hand so here are all the kids from my 100 baby challenge who inherited skin details:

Kellen inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles
    yet4hfL.png?1

Ken inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles
    ED8e0na.png?1

Stefanie inherited Vlad's mouth wrinkles
    JK3RSRj.png?1

Connie inherited Vlad's mouth wrinkles
    Yvx6Bci.png?1

Marciela inherited Leila Illes' freckles
    5zsi6n0.png?1

Anaya inherited Vlad's mouth and forehead wrinkles and Johnny Zest's mole
    zoPLbEC.png?1

Reece inherited Inna Cent's mole
    Eyb1mRr.png?1

Robyn inherited Katriana Caliente's mole
    sgemWe0.png?1

Carina inherited Katrina Caliente's mole and Vlad's mouth wrinkles and forehead wrinkles
    quB09ik.png?1

Rez inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    M7XrHoG.png?1

Dan inherited Vlad's mouth wrinkles and forehead wrinkles
    OTRl2RW.png?1

Harold inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    ZLcCkLJ.png?1

Eugi inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    4snIXiZ.png?1

Tonya inherited Kat Cave's brow wrinkles and cheek crack
    K13toK9.png?1

Karen inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    6wNAWyD.png?1

Gianni inherited Ulrike Faust's mole and Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    gfXFXvA.png?1

Abel inherited Ulrike Faust's mole and Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    TX6F9kO.png?1

Casey inherited Liberty Lee's freckles and Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    ZoYUAmC.png?1

Jayme inherited Liberty Lee's freckles and Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    a4HScdV.png?1

Rogelio inherited Vlad's forehead wrinkles and mouth wrinkles
    BUZWjmw.png?1

Bernardo inherited Grace Anansi's freckles:
    NrbQwYz.png?1
    Post edited by MaggieMarley on
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    @MaggieMarley really interesting that you've found it to be common while others haven't. i guess it's still a little up in the air. i'll try it for myself and see what i get!
  • Options
    @alyssa123 it is strange. I don't have any mods which might affect it. Maybe others just don't use parents with skin details very often?
  • Options
    allmyfriendsaresimsallmyfriendsaresims Posts: 19 Member
    I haven't had it happen yet either!
    and yes freckles are beautiful!
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I must say those are some unfortunate looking sims...
    I have quite a few sims that have inherited freckles and moles, I don't have any pics but they are all related to Caleb Vatore whose wife had freckles.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited April 2020
    alyssa123 wrote: »

If you have MCCC there is a setting you can choose to have physical traits of parents pass on to offspring. You can even set the %

It is random though. You can't specify which will pass on.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited April 2020
    Double post.

• Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    I was going to test this, but obviously it's already been observed. @MaggieMarley B)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,117 Member
    I've had freckles inherited in a save once.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    I had a Sim who inherited freckles from his mother. c: