Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 slowly turning into sims 3 mess

As alot of people, I thought something wrong with my PC but then I realized it's just the game with the recent patches..

Sims 4 has annoying stutter that happens when playing on large community lots and on homes with a lot of clutter..
I have a gaming PC (GTX 1070, I7 8700k, 16 GB ram) and it seems the game cant take full advantage of my PC power, alot of people reported here:
[url] https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Camera-Stuttering-on-community-lots/td-p/8198382[/url]

And there's a video to show the stutter in community lots, its alot more obvious to me in med to big home with clutter items (EA objects not cc)..

I thought my gtx 1050 ti is too weak for sims 4 at first then I upgraded to 1070 and more powerful processor, tried to test the game on a new fresh save with no mods on the new PC and the results were almost the the same as a year old save on my older PC..

It seems the game can't take advantage of more resources of a powerful PC and starting to feel like sims 3 lag and issues with all packs installed? So much for their promise it"ll never have sims 3 issues? Why the 64-bit version still feels useless?
Again..before you say you don't have any issue..I'm not testing this with one sim on an empty lot..its maintain 60 fps on that..but with community lots and home with more clutter items the stutter is noticeable and it seems its getting worse with more packs like the game is starting to have poor coding and cant take advantage of more PC power..

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2020
    Are you up-to-date on all the Windows 10 updates and graphic card ones? I have problems with logging on to the web Gallery every time after I get them as they reset. I'm tending to blame them now or my laptop by HP not catching up.

Mind you I dropped my laptop against a metal radiator yesterday and it didn't affect it at all so recommend HP for that!
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm wondering the same as Simburian and also if maybe your cache files need cleaning out because I'm also running a 1050 on 64 bit windows 10 and I rarely get any stutter or lag. I've an 8th generation Legacy lot that's pretty intense, and I get some slow down but not a frustrating amount.

You might try running the repair tool from Origin as well.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    It's slowly turning into a The Sims 3 mess? Due to simulation lag the game is unplayable for me ever since City Living.

I've spent 3 hours modding The Sims 3 (NRAAS, error trap, overwatch, fixing the pathing on every... single... map) and I got it to run in a good framerate and without simulation lagging out on me... Provided I give my save files warm up time till 3AM sims time when NRAAS swoops through my neighbourhood the first time around.

I can't do that on The Sims 4. I wish EA didn't leave The Sims 3 in a state where I have to do this, but at least I CAN do that with The Sims 3.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Are you up-to-date on all the Windows 10 updates and graphic card ones? I have problems with logging on to the web Gallery every time after I get them as they reset. I'm tending to blame them now or my laptop by HP not catching up.

Mind you I dropped my laptop against a metal radiator yesterday and it didn't affect it at all so recommend HP for that!

I'm an IT guy and you don't need to update your graphics card everytime there's a new patch..benchmarks showed that older drivers (399.24 for nvidia) actually performed better than most recent ones..because most recent nvidia patches add new beta features (that I dont even use) that slows performance and the fixes come several months later that fixes only half of issues at most..you may only need to update your graphics card if you play the new games want driver optimization for it plus the new features (like Freesync nvidia patch..etc)

As someone who's not interested in the newer trashy games (last game I have is tomb raider 2018) no need to get the latest update..in many games they cause more FPS stutter and you need to roll back

My win 10 is updated..maybe not to latest build..the latest build including BIOS update actually slows performance few percent on intel system to favor security..

People needs to stop thinking you need to update to the latest patches in windows and GPUs in order to get better performance, don't fix what isn't broken..

This is EA poor management of resource when you play on ultra and on big lots or lots with alot of clutter..they repeating the same mistake of sims 3..too expensive to hire someone that can program this game to take advantage of powerful pcs?
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I’m still fortunate in that my game is lag free even on large lots full of clutter, but the games are not always optimized properly, which causes random lag. What settings have you changed to try to fix it?

I remember when I had Sims 3 on a different computer, no matter what I did, Island Paradise was a laggy mess. As soon as I uninstalled it, the game was completely lag free again. Even if it was the only EP installed, it caused unplayable lag. However, with every other pack installed, a ton of CC and store content there was none. :(

I hope you can fix the stuttering.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2020
    graventhe wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

I'm an IT guy and you don't need to update your graphics card everytime there's a new patch..benchmarks showed that older drivers (399.24 for nvidia) actually performed better than most recent ones..because most recent nvidia patches add new beta features (that I dont even use) that slows performance and the fixes come several months later that fixes only half of issues at most..you may only need to update your graphics card if you play the new games want driver optimization for it plus the new features (like Freesync nvidia patch..etc)

As someone who's not interested in the newer trashy games (last game I have is tomb raider 2018) no need to get the latest update..in many games they cause more FPS stutter and you need to roll back

My win 10 is updated..maybe not to latest build..the latest build including BIOS update actually slows performance few percent on intel system to favor security..

People needs to stop thinking you need to update to the latest patches in windows and GPUs in order to get better performance, don't fix what isn't broken..

This is EA poor management of resource when you play on ultra and on big lots or lots with alot of clutter..they repeating the same mistake of sims 3..too expensive to hire someone that can program this game to take advantage of powerful pcs?

Very insightful. I'm not a computer person but I automatically assume the latest and greatest =best. This is good to know. I have a gtx 1070 if I remember correctly. I don't know if brand makes a difference but I have MSI,
    Windows 10, more cc than I imagine, and 0 studder or lag with sims 4. The only time I got studder on a huge lot was when I filled it with fog makers lol
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    It's slowly turning into a The Sims 3 mess? Due to simulation lag the game is unplayable for me ever since City Living.

I've spent 3 hours modding The Sims 3 (NRAAS, error trap, overwatch, fixing the pathing on every... single... map) and I got it to run in a good framerate and without simulation lagging out on me... Provided I give my save files warm up time till 3AM sims time when NRAAS swoops through my neighbourhood the first time around.

I can't do that on The Sims 4. I wish EA didn't leave The Sims 3 in a state where I have to do this, but at least I CAN do that with The Sims 3.

I forgot to mention it's also very noticable in some neighborhoods of city living, I remember only one neighborhood in city living that plays completely smoothly while others stutter especially when you.kive the camera..
    I gave up on playing on that world, it's like sims 3 all over again where I can only play on sunset valley on every new save just to play on minimal lag..

The problem is, sims 3 had open world, so there's slight excuse, sims 4 is closed world, there's zero reason for stutter even minimal if you have a good PC..

How some places in sims 4 stutter (like city living) more than others indicates poor coding in that area/world and not the user's PC fault..

And if you end up avoiding most worlds or neighborhood that have the most lag and play on small lots to avoid lag..it'll end up being repetitive and boring..like there's no reason I bought city living but avoiding to play on it because most neighborhoods and festivals in it stutter regardless of owning a PC that can handle skyrim and more demanding games at max with zero stutter..
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited March 2020
    I play on a 1050 gtx on a laptop. I changed my laptop so many times that I can't remember the CPU but this one is from mid last year. So it's pretty recent. 😂

I do get lags in huge cluttered worlds. But almost no camera lag in Oasis Springs or Strangeville.
    My guess is that Oasis Springs and Strangeville don't have a lot of moving trees. The trees swinging makes it very laggy. If you turn on laptop mode, the trees stop swaying (and also remove some shadows) but there will be no lag.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited March 2020
    On the contrary, The Sims 4 runs perfectly for me, whereas I continue to get framerates in the teens with The Sims 3 running a system as follows with up-to-date drivers.

Windows 10 Home
    Core i7-9700 @ 3.00 GHZ/3.00 GHZ
    32 GB DDR4
    Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8 GB GDDR6

There is absolutely no reason that a title from 2009 should run so poorly on that architecture, other than being so poorly coded as to be fatally flawed.
    Post edited by OEII1001 on
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I hate playing in Brindleton Bay, for some reason it always stutter there
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited March 2020
    If it makes you feel better I built my wife a PC with an i9 and a 2080 (I also work in IT) and it still has the occasional stutter - particularly when zoomed out all the way.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Sims 3 is finished and stable. All the bugs have been reported with solutions to fix them. Even so, its gameplay had always been strong with so many ways to play it. TS4 is way more of a mess with an ever growing list of bugs that have yet to be fixed. Also its gameplay has always been very weak so that live mode is just not fun to do. You're left with just dressing up your sim dolls or building the lots it has over and over. Boring!

I have TS3 on my old 2014 computer with 4gb RAM and an integrated Intel graphics card and the game runs well! I've been able to play it as a zombie apocalypse survival game (one of my favorite challenges), or play one of the many active careers using Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod or create stories without any game stopping lagginess/stuttering or other bugs. Plus the sims do what they're suppose to do!

Get TS3! It's just a much better game!

• Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Sims 3 is finished and stable. All the bugs have been reported with solutions to fix them. Even so, its gameplay had always been strong with so many ways to play it. TS4 is way more of a mess with an ever growing list of bugs that have yet to be fixed. Also its gameplay has always been very weak so that live mode is just not fun to do. You're left with just dressing up your sim dolls or building the lots it has over and over. Boring!

I have TS3 on my old 2014 computer with 4gb RAM and an integrated Intel graphics card and the game runs well! I've been able to play it as a zombie apocalypse survival game (one of my favorite challenges), or play one of the many active careers using Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod or create stories without any game stopping lagginess/stuttering or other bugs. Plus the sims do what they're suppose to do!

Get TS3! It's just a much better game!

Wholeheartedly agree!

• Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    A lot of the bugs from The Sims 3 are fixed with routing mods which have been mentioned above.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    A lot of the bugs from The Sims 3 are fixed with routing mods which have been mentioned above.

It wasn't EA that fixed them and I'm still peeved about that and I'm even more peeved that they seem to be leaving even more bugs in when it comes to The Sims 4. It means that you need to mod it to get it working and that every update you can't play the game again (and the updates are more frequent for The Sims 4), because you're waiting on your modder to update their fix mods. Fixing is something what 100% EA should be doing and not modders.
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    "Sims 4 turning into Sims 3"

I wish.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »

It wasn't EA that fixed them and I'm still peeved about that and I'm even more peeved that they seem to be leaving even more bugs in when it comes to The Sims 4. It means that you need to mod it to get it working and that every update you can't play the game again (and the updates are more frequent for The Sims 4), because you're waiting on your modder to update their fix mods. Fixing is something what 100% EA should be doing and not modders.

I agree and I am not impressed with an game(Sims 4) that has less bells and whistles and falsely gives me the impression the game is great and it is not. EA/Maxis dooms their own products by not tweaking what they have. I am sorry Sims 3 with problems still for me is the better game.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen