Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About that telemetry

ts4-20th-infographic-700x5000-v4.jpg.adapt_.1920w.jpg

What do you guys think about it? I noted how simmers have created less aliens than they have mermaids, despite aliens being around four years longer, while mermaids have been around for less than a year. The total amount of aliens is less than a 4th of the total amount of mermaids.

We also got 173 thousand toddlers. I wonder if these results are talking about what Sims made in CAS, or sims born into the game?

There have also been almost as many WooHoos as there are sims being created.

I dunno, just found this infograph interesting and wanted to know what you guys think about it.
TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017

Comments

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

What do you guys think about it? I noted how simmers have created less aliens than they have mermaids, despite aliens being around four years longer, while mermaids have been around for less than a year. The total amount of aliens is less than a 4th of the total amount of mermaids.

We also got 173 thousand toddlers. I wonder if these results are talking about what Sims made in CAS, or sims born into the game?

I dunno, just found this infograph interesting and wanted to know what you guys think about it.

I wonder HOW they find this out...
    While things like these are interesting as heck...
    I can't help but think they are pulling numbers out of their butt...
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Fortunately, that's not how telemetry works. Unless you turn off data feedback in your Sims settings, this is general info they can collect from all players. Lots of software has this kind of feedback so the company can understand how users are using it, including what they're not doing anymore, etc.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited February 2020

Unless you turn it off, the game sends this sort of information back to Maxis just in the course of play. So the numbers are off by a bit because they don't account for those who have disabled this "feature" and those who play only off line.

That said, I'm curious about the toddler number too, since if it's both CAS and born, it gives some creedence to the "most simmers don't play families" argument. Or at least, don't play with toddlers.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Obviously mermaids are more popular than aliens. Simple as that. I'm pretty sure there is more variety in creating mermaids, so it's probably more fun creating more of them. Aliens are kinda all of one kind, with minor adjustments.

I always go in offline mode when playing, so maybe my creations are not involved. I'm probably not the only one going offline. But well, my handful of aliens created will not make a difference, and I never created a vampire, and never any mermaids either.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I'm curious about those households, are they counting all existing households, only those in houses, marked played, marked as favorites... including those in saves I haven't touched in months...? Because if this is the overall number of households, of course the relation between toddlers and households would be extreme.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Can confirm, my Sims WooHoo all the time.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Unless you turn it off, the game sends this sort of information back to Maxis just in the course of play. So the numbers are off by a bit because they don't account for those who have disabled this "feature" and those who play only off line.

That said, I'm curious about the toddler number too, since if it's both CAS and born, it gives some creedence to the "most simmers don't play families" argument. Or at least, don't play with toddlers.

Ooooh did not know this...very interesting.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    They are not counting me because I have share sims data turned off. I play offline and have all that stuff off otherwise my game lags. Or how do they get those stats?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    In the beginning I used to turn off telemetry, but when I realized that telemetry, in itself, is a way to speak for my play style, I've left it on ever since.

I'm really happy to see the huge population of Vampires. A chunk of those are probably just mine, lol. :D I would like to see Vampires continue to be a main staple of the franchise. But I'm kind of surprised they didn't include Spellcaster numbers, I'd like to know what those are despite the pack still being fairly new.

Mermaids look like they're going to be a Thing for a while too. I've certainly made my own fair share because when I was playing last night at a festival by Planet Honey Pop, six Mermaids showed up. It was like a Merfolk attack, lol. I think they just like Karaoke because, you know, all of the singing. What divas!
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Do the numbers represent how many vampires, mermaids, and aliens were created by the players, or does this also include how many offspring they have via Try for Baby and alien abductions?
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Remember this is Vampires, Aliens and Mermaids over the entire history of the franchise. TS4 Mermaids are new. Mermaids were also around in TS3 - not sure about earlier games.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    If only they were able to track the bugs and glitches as easily. Now that would make more sense than tracking woohoo and mermaids. I turned off that share info ability a long time ago because I found it a bit voyeuristic and creepy. It isn't as if EA or the teams use the info for anything important anyway. It's none of their business how I prefer to play my game.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2020
    hmmmmm should we have 1000 toddler challenge this year?

I sort of feel that the counts are off o_o
    maybe they didn't count in sims born in game?

also to explain lack of aliens maybe its because they are harder to get?

like with mermaids and vampires its easy to turn your sims into them anytime but alien u sort of have to birth sim or create them separately?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    yeah, while the aliens figure seems low, the toddlers figure seems suspicious. Even if its just Toddlers created in CAS, not through normal
    gameplay. I know I don't normally create them in CAS, but surely other player do?
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020

The problem with telemetry is it doesn't say "why," it just says "what." So they see that far fewer aliens are made but they have no knowledge as to why that is.

My favorite telemetry story when it comes to this. Dragon Age: Origins (sorry for people who have read this 1000x). Leliana was by far the most popular romance NPC. The devs were stunned over her popularity with over 90% of all games ending with the player in an active romance. They made decisions on DA2 and DA:I based on this. The problem is they didn't look at *why* everyone was ending the game with her in a romance. The issue was a couple of bugs regarding her, where starting the romance was flagged incorrectly in a friendship answer and breaking it off with her in a common confrontation that happened when she got jealous of the other romance partner (and this happened a lot as the player often was unaware of the romance) also had a bug where it didn't remove the romance flag even when breaking it off with her. Players had a term for this -- Leliana ninjamanced, and people who didn't want to use mods to fix it how to avoid getting her romance cards and such at the end of the game.

Telemetry only tells one narrow part of the story. You have to dig much deeper to find out why. If, say, toddlers are very poorly done, of course people will age their toddlers quickly because they're not fun. Now, if in the next game you leave toddlers out entirely because of this, deciding that no one likes playing with toddlers, you haven't correctly analyzed the data. It's because you just don't have enough data to analyze. Gaming companies rely far too much on telemetry. They need to hire at least one competent statistician to help them figure out what those numbers actually mean.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    All I know is, if we get a Sims 5 they better include all life stages. I want babies, toddler, kids (pre teens?) teen, young adults, adults, and elders. It's a life simulation after all.

I wonder do they only count vanilla woohoo or woohoo via that mod that won't be named? lol The vamps and aliens, sadly I haven't contributed. And mermaids, I've only made two.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Aside from the first stat of 4 games and 75+ packs, I think the rest only refers to sims 4.

• Options
    iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Aliens need more love. <3
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Maybe people got fed up of that alien melting face bug. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don’t like big brother spying on me counting how many times my Sims woohoo. How do I make sure that’s off?
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    6.9 million vampires, that's alot of biting.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I don’t like big brother spying on me counting how many times my Sims woohoo. How do I make sure that’s off?
    You say that like they are watching your sims woohoo
    Unless....
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    ... and 1 hot tub!
    Sorry, I couldn’t resist. o:)
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    The infographic means nothing if they're not using it to analyse our gameplay.

For example, why do the alien & toddler counts are so low? Have they figured it out that they've done nothing to make it more playable & interesting?

Why do we enjoy letting our Sims to Woohoo? Perhaps, that is one of the most enjoyable things to do, since we always been given a new location to Woohoo in almost new packs that have been released.

Wedding count is quite low in comparison to the household counts. Why? Perhaps, there's nothing interesting to get our Sims to wed. No perks, no prenuptial, etc. Plus, the guests are just everywhere. Eloping is much easier.

One thing for sure, they missed out how many Sims that we've been killed. Perhaps, that's made more sense.

If they can extract this data just for this occasion, I wish that they could make use of it to improve the existing & new contents that they're going to release. Survey is great, but with this data, it gives more in-depth of how we play the game, not only on how we want to play the game.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Vampris wrote: »
    6.9 million vampires, that's alot of biting.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    You say that like they are watching your sims woohoo
    Unless....

Unless... >:)
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I found it fascinating too, I enjoyed reading it. <3 I think it's a handy way for them to find out how people are playing their games and what they're enjoying more. The fact that they brought this out shortly after they released the survey is also interesting. The two don't seem to be entirely random :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png