Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you guys ever play couples without kids? I'm curious

Comments

• Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Yeah, almost always. There's so much more to life / the game and so many stories to tell than just... meet, marry, have babies, raise kids, play next generation.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I play rotational so even if my intent is to not have kids because of autonomous get married try for a baby etc sometimes single sims get pregnant sometimes couples I don't intend to have kids go and breed behind my back. Unless I am doing a teen pregnancy I rarely intentionally have sims having kids in households I play. If they end up pregnant I can roll with it.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Yup, some of my sims are childfree! There are many ways to progress without having to have kids. Some are career oriented sims, some have pets, some are fulfilling aspirations. I have a couple that won't have kids, they just moved into a penthouse after saving up for ages and are getting involved in politics and protesting and want to make the world a better place. Another couple I have in Brindleton Bay are rescuing loads of dogs and are saving up to open a vet clinic. I have an artsy couple that run an art group in Windeburg that meets at the Art Museum I created and want to create lots of masterpieces. I have a sim that's a teen now, but she wants to grow up, stay single, get a dog and spend most of her time exploring Granite Falls and Selvadorada. I have quite a few childfree couples as I get bored of raising kids sometimes. I'm planning to start a legacy soon, but will probably have a few spares be childfree and live with the family just so I don't get too bored with raising kids as I find it to be quite repetitive usually.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Rarely - toddlers are the highlight of the game for me. However, sometimes I'll want to try a particular gameplay aspect that doesn't work well with kids, so instead of having my YA have kids immediately, I'll turn off aging while she does something else.

One thing that's hard with kids in the game is any situation in which your Sim has to travel. Kids and teens have to be home in order to go to school, and while day care works fine in my game (the toddlers come back with hunger in the green, and even learn skills), the whole point (to me) is to nurture and teach the toddler.

No kids of my own, either, and never wanted them.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    edited January 2020
    I planned on having two Sims in a platonic relationship just be roommates. One was abducted and came back pregnant twice, so I rolled with it. I moved him and the kids out when they had enough money.

The other sim was going to remain single but met Jade Rosa at a club, and they hit it off. So far they are just dating (well, mostly just woohooing). I might just keep them dating and may or may not have them move in together without having kids.
  • Options
    puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    I rarely play couples with children. lol
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Yes, a lot of my sims never have children. I think it is pretty common if you play with aging off.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    I've started out trying to trim out the built-in and random sims as much as possible and build an "in-world-born" population. Basically second generation onwards. Not from downloaded, or instantly created (In CAS), but actually born into the game. After awhile, with many families going, I've slowed down the birth rate and aging to have it more stable. So yes a few couples (if you will) that don't and won't have children. Gay/lesbian/bi or not, or something else, is irrelevant. (Since you can make them have children anyways with mods or aliens, or adopt) which is the same idea. Animal pets is an alternative to caring for babies and children so it's almost like babies and toddlers that never go past that. So it fills that need I suppose.

That being said, to answer the question, yes. But not often. Not often yet anyways.

My game world is still young. I still have a long way to go to populate it. So the mixing and whatnot is interesting. I have occasionally been bringing the pre-made characters in (Modifying them a bit), and a few new ones here and there, randoms that actually could be interesting.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Recently within the last month or so i've been pairing off single sims and putting them together to create future timelines or replacements in some instances. one or two of my sims won't get married or be in a relationship off the bat.

Yesterday i split up the "school friends" household and put Liam Sergeant and Jameena Qahasi together, while Travis Dunman is with Sadie DeWarren. Lucie Falbridge is on her own as she was always going to be.

Before that i split the "Galibrinov" household up, pairing Alexsandr with Monika Yanichovski, Roman is with Shirley Rans and Yegor is with Melanie Marshall, meanwhile Natalia married into the "Al Firaqqi" household by marrying Ismail.

Brandy Everson is with Magnus Johansson, she finally left home. The "Chun-Koon" household has been changed, Dai married Raina Balilovic while Byeol married into the "Sikuchi" household and is with Hirate.

A week before that i put the creep Jacob Brantson from the "Oddball hangouts" together with Cher, i created her as married to Jacob on the spot, she too is a creep. Before that i created the "Vinchelli" household, Giancarlo is with Anja Balilovic while Vincenzo is with Shae Baxley.

---

Sims that aren't paired yet:

Gerard Tormen, Andrew Sanders, Reginald Patterson, Ronan Patterson, Leroy Bauer, Armin Asterbury, Codie DeGauss, Arturo Salazar, Chip Sorris, Sancho Carbonell, Robert Greeley, Colin Stackhouse, Devin Ganton, Nils Stevensen, Roy Weston, Josef Wiezincinski, Joshua Burnside, Daniel Evans, Deshawn LeRoyce, Earl Duquesne, Michael Marshall, Ukyo Hiroshimoto, Cameron Jenkins, Jesse Meyers, Hactor Ramirez, Troy Landcrest, Rihari Kaaka, Reginald Banks.

Lucie Falbridge, Hanna Rakton, Rahil Al Firaqqi, Sandra Matthews, Charlene Angelo, Lori Mackey, Flora Vega, Alex Tormen, Leanne Tormen, Jennifer Colison, Helen Bauer, Tiffany Darrow, Tammy Gardener, Sabrina Marsh, Eloise Parker, Gina Vinchelli, Tina Carbonell, Janet Vendrell, Mara Hiroshimoto, Heidi Jagdmann, Jade Cambridge, Edna Kalsecchi, Lydia Harlow, Jamie Kylee, Claire Manderbrook, Jayne Manderbrook, Evelyn Manderbrook, Carol Manderbrook, Margaret Manderbrook, Alison Jenkins, Katie Lancaster, Anna Walters, Rachel Garbrook, Nella Astbury.

So i've been keeping a close eye on who i've got left and at some point i will put them together. but i'm still a ways off pairing all my free sims and so i might take some sims down the LBGTQ+ route almost certainly. Aside from the "Foster", "Garza-Schwindt" and recent "Mckiney" households, i don't really have that equality i'd like, so i want do something about that.

---

The idea of just pairing them off is when i do plan on a new save one day and remove all the previous pre-mades, i'd have more than enough sim couples to start off with that there would be many new families that will develop out with MCCC in a real hurry. Now i could throw a blanket on them, make them immortal, keep their physical shape and keep them from getting pregnant if i wanted or i could let it roll. in either case there are options to the style of play at least.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Mine always have children sometimes to the point they have too many, my Bheeda couple just had six, one set of twnis and a set of triplets, and a single child first.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    You don't have to have people teamed up in households "romantically".
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    No, I’m a big family player. And I just love toddlers!
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I seldom play families without kids, but I often end up with a single young adult/adult or a childless couple in the same household. That way when I get bored or frustrated with the constrictions of child raising and family life I can take the childless sims off to do more exciting things.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2020
    So, I'm wondering if there's anyone else that likes to play childless couples? Sims that are dating or married their whole life that die without reproducing?

I did a 14 generation legacy in 2018, and pretty much all of 2019 I was in a sims slump where I would start new legacies over and over because I got bored of my old one, but no new one would stick. I'm trying a new play style where I play childless couples, and I find I'm enjoying it sooooo much more!

I think I'm tired of how much time raising kids takes. I'm finding it's really fun to even put the lifespan on long and explore all the different YA-focused content that I've been neglecting. After raising so many kids in this game I find I'm just getting annoyed by the repetitiveness of it.

So does anyone else play childless couples? I'm really curious to see if there are other people that are tired of the generational play cycle, or just find sim kids annoying. Thank you xx

I play with aging off and have only ever gotten a sim pregnant once just to try it out. Reproduction is not my thing lol. My sims are bf/gf or dating or getting to know eachother for long periods of time. They may eventually marry but won't have any kids. Now that I think about it they don't even woohoo lol. I keep them in the sweet romantic affection phase.

But I do love big families and playing with all of the life stages so trust me they have plenty of little brothers and sisters that I never age to fill that gap.🥰 and when I get tired of them I ship them back with their mama😅

Everytime I ask my sister what she is doing in sims shes like, having sim triplets. I'm like 😖 you know there are other things for sims to do in life. Go get them an education or something 🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    90% of the time I play the kids, rather than the parents raising them. (or tots I'll play too) but I do have some childless couples. not sure that they'll stay childless or not yet
  • Options
    Rarely - toddlers are the highlight of the game for me. However, sometimes I'll want to try a particular gameplay aspect that doesn't work well with kids, so instead of having my YA have kids immediately, I'll turn off aging while she does something else.

One thing that's hard with kids in the game is any situation in which your Sim has to travel. Kids and teens have to be home in order to go to school, and while day care works fine in my game (the toddlers come back with hunger in the green, and even learn skills), the whole point (to me) is to nurture and teach the toddler.

No kids of my own, either, and never wanted them.

My kids take sooo many vacation days from school, every time they earn them, so they can travel haha
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of my sims never have children. I think it is pretty common if you play with aging off.

Haha I play aging off and most my Sims familes have 6-7 kids. But I only play the kids
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I pretty much always play with aging on with multiple generations. I might have a particular sim or couple wait a while and accomplish some other goals first, like getting a business up and running or explore the jungle. But I also like the challenge of having to balance those things with the family. Without kids the career and aspiration goals are too easy to keep me interested. Recently I even had my Strangerville couple have twins in the middle of the mystery. That will be interesting while they are toddlers.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Never have, never will.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Since I'm a gay man, most of my sims are gay men. So most of my couples have never had children. They spend their times improving skills, working on careers, camping, going on vacation (and now, cleaning up Sulani and going to university). That's why I keep hoping for new activities that aren't based only around the home. The 3 or 4 couples who have children either adopted or got abducted.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Yes I currently have a couple the guy is Bella & Mortimer Goth’s grandson also called Mortimer (via Cassandra, I have this odd thing of calling my Goth offspring previous Goth family names it’s now a tradition for the family in my main save) who lives a “hippy” life in san myshuno with his wife who was a townie. They are more semi background characters but I love them. He is a environmental conservationist and she is a food critic. They are one of my favourite sims to play I love their way of chilled out childless life. Also his cousin Olivia Goth is a spinster adult sim who is an archaeologist I love playing her too. Both households give me that much needed break sometimes from my family households.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I like it for awhile but I love having babies in the sims, I just get curious what their kids will look like and how genetics will play out for them. Also I’m just a family player so I get a lot of joy out of it. Plus I actually love staying busy with a busy household. I always try to plan out their week ahead so it doesn’t get too overwhelming. I do enjoy having a newlywed couple though and let them build up their career and money and maybe travel some together, it’s so much fun.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Absolutely! I play all types of households, it’s much more interesting to me to have a variety of Sims, so I never get too bored. I’m a rotational player, and I have elderly couples, multigenerational families in the same house, single childless sims of all ages, mom/dad/kids, single parents, gay & lesbian couples with kids, gay and lesbian couples without kids, friend groups, grandparents raising grandkids, an aunt raising her deceased brother’s kids... pretty much any combination I can come up with, just to make it as much like the real world as possible.

One of my current favorites, though, is my eco-commune on Sulani: an elderly gentleman, his YA daughter, her boyfriend the commune leader, the leader’s other girlfriend, the leader’s ex-girlfriend and their child, and a single gay man and his adopted toddler daughter. Lots going on! And, to get back to the original question, after all the drama of that hectic household, sometimes it’s very enjoyable to rotate to the relaxed upper middle class, middle-aged married couple enjoying their child-free early retirement on the beach. Or the newly-wed struggling political activists in San Myshuno who want to have kids, but not yet.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    My sims usually have kids somewhere in their lives but I usually wait for them to be adults or almost adults before kids. Especially now with Discover University, I use the young adult life stage get established.

Right now, I'm playing a single party girl Sim who has a daughter. The daughter lives with a foster family until my sim can provide for her. She has supervised visitations twice a week with her daughter. I'm making it as something of a challenge where when she completes her aspiration, she'll be able to change her traits. Kind of as symbol of maturing a bit. She's applied to university and works 2 part time jobs. The end result will be a better life for the two of them. I don't know if she'll ever get married or not yet. She hasn't found the right person. That's something I've never really played around with. Usually I do the perfect family, perfect house, perfect kids, perfect life gameplay.

I have to admit I am loving this though. I rarely have my sims host parties or go out clubbing but this one has done it all. She always says yes when she's invited out for anything. She usually has a house party or keg party every weekend. She's made way more friends than my sims usually do. I usually just have them have one or two really good friends and that's all.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    You don't have to have people teamed up in households "romantically".
    I have two sisters living together. I prefer not to let, say, seven kids each live by themselves and take up all houses in a neighborhood :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted