Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

And Paralives has a Color Wheel...Why can't TS4?

Comments

• Options
    nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 216 Member
    Maybe don't title your thread "And Paralives has a color wheel?" if you claim to not be talking about another game that's not The Sims 4, therefore not part of The Sims 4 General Discussion category and instead belonging to the Off-topic category of this forum. Alternative title suggestions: "Why can't TS4 have a color wheel?!", "We need the color wheel back in the game!", "I miss color customization!", etc.

Now about the color wheel: Do I think The Sims 4 needs it? Probably? Especially if you're more of a builder type of player. Personally, I'm okay with just the swatches. I never really messed around with the color wheel in TS3 because I felt it took too much time away from actually building stuff and playing the game. What I want though from TS4 is just to have more color swatches and for these swatches (especially the wood tones) to match. And that all items should have at least the white and black + wood swatch options.

Now about Paralives: good job to this dev for doing this all solo. If you're excited for the game, then by all means support him on his Patreon. His work so far on the grid-free build stuff is excellent, but I'm curious to see his progress when he gets to the live mode part of the game.
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Lol there are literally thousands of game out there that have a color wheel, many of which are small indie games that you've never even heard of. There is nothing remotely newsworthy about Paralives having a color wheel.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2019
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Lol there are literally thousands of game out there that have a color wheel, many of which are small indie games that you've never even heard of. There is nothing remotely newsworthy about Paralives having a color wheel.

No, there isn’t, which is exactly why it is newsworthy that TS4 does not have one. I think that’s the whole point of the thread.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    I don't think that is surprising at all, it also has much more advanced things in the works. Things we've never seen, maybe hardly dreamed of.

I think for this to belong in the Sims 4 section, the OP must be reworded quite a bit, sorry.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I think that’s the whole point of the thread.

Except OP told us the point of their thread.
    I think what's really sad is how ONE person (yes, ONE) can actually make a game like this with all these features, but The Sims can't even do it with an entire team of people working on it... that's just sad.
    THIS!!! THIS IS the REASON I made this thread...but alas they want it to be moved...I was making this point exactly!

There is nothing newsworthy about one person adding a color wheel to their game. Paralives is made in Unity and adding a color wheel is extremely easy. You can literally search "Unity color wheel tutorial" on YouTube and teach yourself how to add a color wheel in less than an hour.

AcsBp38.png

TS4 doesn't have a color wheel not because the team couldn't do it, but because they purposely chose to not have a color wheel. Anyone who says things like "If Paralives has this then why can't TS4 have it?!" or "This one person can do what EA can't!" is just beyond clueless.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    To be honest, I've been excited for Paralives in a hopeful but not expectant way, but this actually turns me off of it a bit haha. I don't like the colour wheel in Sims 3 and much prefer the swatches system of Sims 4. But there is a lot that looks good about the game to me still, so if the people look good and it's not too expensive I can overlook the colour wheel, haha!
  • Options
    nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 216 Member

I think what's really sad is how ONE person (yes, ONE) can actually make a game like this with all these features, but The Sims can't even do it with an entire team of people working on it... that's just sad.
    THIS!!! THIS IS the REASON I made this thread...but alas they want it to be moved...I was making this point exactly!

There is nothing newsworthy about one person adding a color wheel to their game. Paralives is made in Unity and adding a color wheel is extremely easy. You can literally search "Unity color wheel tutorial" on YouTube and teach yourself how to add a color wheel in less than an hour.

AcsBp38.png

TS4 doesn't have a color wheel not because the team couldn't do it, but because they purposely chose to not have a color wheel. Anyone who says things like "If Paralives has this then why can't TS4 have it?!" or "This one person can do what EA can't!" is just beyond clueless.

Aha! The power of the open-source community. I didn't know it was that simple to add a color picker in Unity. :D
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • Options
    simsgames2324simsgames2324 Posts: 20 Member
    The Sims 5 really should bring back the color wheel. It was definitely one of the best things about Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

But if TS4 doesn't have a color wheel not because the team couldn't do it, but because they purposely chose to not have a color wheel. Anyone who says things like "If Paralives has this then why can't TS4 have it?!" or "This one person can do what EA can't!" is just beyond clueless.

Here’s the problem with that:

If indeed we don’t have a colour wheel because they chose not to implement one, that’s the sort of avenue of discussion I want to take: Why did they make that decision? Assuming it wasn’t a technical constraint, what possible rationale could there be for not adding a feature that’s objectively better than having a limited selection of swatches? The community obviously wanted it. What’s the problem?

What you’re suggesting is even worse than being held back by technical limitations (or any other kind of limitations) and instead speaks to a level of design incompetence. It calls into question the decision making of the team from top to bottom.

So it’s either incompetence or you’re wrong and they simply weren’t able to do it. They wouldn’t or they couldn’t. And if it’s the latter, then whatever “reasons” they could have unfortunately aren’t good enough given what the Paralives developer has been able to achieve, irrespective of the ease of implementation (EA’s vastly superior resources more than make up for that advantage).

That’s why I think Paralives is relevant to a discussion that isn’t actually about Paralives.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

But if TS4 doesn't have a color wheel not because the team couldn't do it, but because they purposely chose to not have a color wheel. Anyone who says things like "If Paralives has this then why can't TS4 have it?!" or "This one person can do what EA can't!" is just beyond clueless.

Here’s the problem with that:

If indeed we don’t have a colour wheel because they chose not to implement one, that’s the sort of avenue of discussion I want to take: Why did they make that decision? Assuming it wasn’t a technical constraint, what possible rationale could there be for not adding a feature that’s objectively better than having a limited selection of swatches? The community obviously wanted it. What’s the problem?

What you’re suggesting is even worse than being held back by technical limitations (or any other kind of limitations) and instead speaks to a level of design incompetence. It calls into question the decision making of the team from top to bottom.

So it’s either incompetence or you’re wrong and they simply weren’t able to do it. They wouldn’t or they couldn’t. And if it’s the latter, then whatever “reasons” they could have unfortunately aren’t good enough given what the Paralives developer has been able to achieve, irrespective of the ease of implementation (EA’s vastly superior resources more than make up for that advantage).

That’s why I think Paralives is relevant to a discussion that isn’t actually about Paralives.

For build and buy mode, I think they won't do it cuz they might have to redo everything again since right now, they only have swatches and maybe that's how they have programmed it to be, to only be able to use the set colorings.

So overall, I think it's more a technical constraint. Just my opinion tho. If they could do it very easily, then they would have implemented the color wheel in CAS for our sims since they already figured out how to do it for pets. But they didn't.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I don’t get how this thread is about Paralives. It’s actually about the lack of a colour wheel in TS4. Paralives is only mentioned as a point of comparison. Nobody is asking to talk about Paralives.

It does seem to be a shame that after 5 years a colour wheel has not been patched in when I think a modder actually did that a few years ago?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Sweet. Time to fire up Paralives and pla.......oh wait.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Changed my topic title. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    What I dont get it people trying to defend EA and parrot talk their excuses to justify any lacking content. The sims 4 has always been a flop, that's that.
    Paralives is proof in a million ways that only independent developers (people like you and me) are capable of delivering honest and true content.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I never liked the colour wheel in TS3 so I can't say that it's really a selling point for me.

What’s not to like? It basically offers an endless array of colour options, for whatever scheme you want. In the long run it also saves the developers having to constantly add swatches.

I just never liked it. I prefer things more simple with the swatches. It's what I was used to from TS2 and I just never enjoyed having to select all my own colours for things in TS3.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    What I dont get it people trying to defend EA and parrot talk their excuses to justify any lacking content. The sims 4 has always been a flop, that's that.
    Paralives is proof in a million ways that only independent developers (people like you and me) are capable of delivering honest and true content.

THANK YOU! This! This this this!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't think TS4 is a flop. I think it got off to a bumpy start but that's not the same as being a flop. It's not wrong to criticize in pursuit of improvement but that doesn't mean that the whole product is bad, just that there are areas of improvement largely due to the very open-ended nature of the theme.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Objectively, The Sims 4 has been a financial success. That's not a flop. You do not enjoy the game, and you are entitled to feel that way, but we are not entitled to our own facts.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
  • Options
    MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    edited December 2019
    Anybody who said that The Sims 4 is a flop should be reminded about a little game called Simcity. Yes, The Sims 4 had mixed reviews and its DLCs didn't always meet expectations, but it's hard to label something as a flop when it has more DLCs and longevity than SimCity.

Now, regarding Paralive, I'm still watching. One-man-show game development with Kickstarter as its main funding only have two outcomes: outstanding and marvelous, or scrapped. I wish it to be awesome, though.
  • Options
    MrSunshine wrote: »
    Anybody who said that The Sims 4 is a flop should be reminded about a little game called Simcity. Yes, The Sims 4 had mixed reviews and its DLCs didn't always meet expectations, but it's hard to label something as a flop when it has more DLCs and longevity than SimCity.

Now, regarding Paralive, I'm still watching. One-man-show game development with Kickstarter as its main funding only have two outcomes: outstanding and marvelous, or scrapped. I wish it to be awesome, though.

I think that the end result will be something in between, if it ever is something that is released to the public. It may end up being open sourced where people can add their own modules; something akin to Ilan Papini's Virtual Sailor. It was a fun experience to sail around a few maps with a bunch of different user-created vehicles, but it never really was a full game experience. Should Paralives ever see the light of day -- and that is a big if -- it will no doubt be in that vein rather than a comprehensive Sims-type game.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Most likely Paralives can have a color wheel because it will be designed from the beginning to have one, every object will be built with that in mind. But the developer now have to take the color wheel into consideration for every thing that will be added to the game. If the game will start lagging because of it they will have to go back and optimize the game even more.

The sims4 was not designed to have a color wheel from the beginning and going back and adding one now would probably take a lot of time. Who knows how much they would have to change in the base game code for that to happen and also update all the packs. Some of this stuff is 5-6 years old now...
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I never liked the colour wheel in TS3 so I can't say that it's really a selling point for me.

What’s not to like? It basically offers an endless array of colour options, for whatever scheme you want. In the long run it also saves the developers having to constantly add swatches.

I just never liked it. I prefer things more simple with the swatches. It's what I was used to from TS2 and I just never enjoyed having to select all my own colours for things in TS3.

It's kind of weird how you could totally ignore the color wheel in TS3, but players who liked customizing had the option. So weird.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    logion wrote: »
    The sims4 was not designed to have a color wheel from the beginning and going back and adding one now would probably take a lot of time. Who knows how much they would have to change in the base game code for that to happen and also update all the packs. Some of this stuff is 5-6 years old now...

Assuming that’s true, the question is why wasn’t it designed to have one from the beginning? That’s what I don’t get. It’s somewhat defensible to say that it’s difficult to shoehorn a colour wheel into the existing framework now, but why not then? It’s the sort of (bad) decision made in the conceptual stage that has baffled me throughout TS4’s run.

I believe it’s half-measures, cut corners, and omissions like this that have led to TS4 being a mediocre product (with positives as well as negatives, don’t get me wrong) five years later.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Has anyone noticed how after all these months, there's still only build content being shown for Paralives? Not a shred of characters or gameplay yet. How the routing will work with all these customisable, draggable pieces of furniture intrigues me.
    I'm amused by the assumptions that "Paralives is proof in a million ways that only independent developers (people like you and me) are capable of delivering honest and true content." when all that's been shown is build/buy mode and not any sign of the characters or their advertised customisation, nor have we seen gameplay. I've not even seen the UI yet.
    So far I see promises but no proof. And even after all these months of announcements, the latest video shows a colour wheel. :/ For those who complain bitterly about everything to do with Sims 4, I hope it has what you want. But I've yet to see the 'proof' so many are going on about.

It might have a colour wheel. But since there's not been any hint whatsoever as to what the people look like, what the gameplay is like or even the vehicles being promised, I don't see 'proof'. Just promises that may or may not happen.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top