Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

And Paralives has a Color Wheel...Why can't TS4?

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited December 2019
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed how after all these months, there's still only build content being shown for Paralives? Not a shred of characters or gameplay yet. How the routing will work with all these customisable, draggable pieces of furniture intrigues me.
    I'm amused by the assumptions that "Paralives is proof in a million ways that only independent developers (people like you and me) are capable of delivering honest and true content." when all that's been shown is build/buy mode and not any sign of the characters or their advertised customisation, nor have we seen gameplay. I've not even seen the UI yet.
    So far I see promises but no proof. And even after all these months of announcements, the latest video shows a colour wheel. :/ For those who complain bitterly about everything to do with Sims 4, I hope it has what you want. But I've yet to see the 'proof' so many are going on about.

It might have a colour wheel. But since there's not been any hint whatsoever as to what the people look like, what the gameplay is like or even the vehicles being promised, I don't see 'proof'. Just promises that may or may not happen.

I don't really want to change the subject to focus on Paralives, but the dev has been working alone until recently when he hired a design artist and programmer. This is why he has not shown characters. Back to TS4 now.
    So_Money wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    The sims4 was not designed to have a color wheel from the beginning and going back and adding one now would probably take a lot of time. Who knows how much they would have to change in the base game code for that to happen and also update all the packs. Some of this stuff is 5-6 years old now...

Assuming that’s true, the question is why wasn’t it designed to have one from the beginning? That’s what I don’t get. It’s somewhat defensible to say that it’s difficult to shoehorn a colour wheel into the existing framework now, but why not then? It’s the sort of (bad) decision made in the conceptual stage that has baffled me throughout TS4’s run.

I believe it’s half-measures, cut corners, and omissions like this that have led to TS4 being a mediocre product (with positives as well as negatives, don’t get me wrong) five years later.

The game was originally designed to be online. I don't think they ever intended customization in the original version. Besides, the feature in TS3 wasn't that well received. Most people had issues with it due to poor computers or just the lack of optimization from maxis. So for them, it was probably a no brainier to omit it. Marketing usually makes the decisions and most people who have good computers were a) not vocal in the community and/or b) turned off data collection so ea couldn't track their activities. This in turn, meant that a lot of simmers we're left out of metrics just by being computer savvy.

Don't turn off data collection if you want to be represented in the next version of the game. It matters.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed how after all these months, there's still only build content being shown for Paralives? Not a shred of characters or gameplay yet. How the routing will work with all these customisable, draggable pieces of furniture intrigues me.
    I'm amused by the assumptions that "Paralives is proof in a million ways that only independent developers (people like you and me) are capable of delivering honest and true content." when all that's been shown is build/buy mode and not any sign of the characters or their advertised customisation, nor have we seen gameplay. I've not even seen the UI yet.
    So far I see promises but no proof. And even after all these months of announcements, the latest video shows a colour wheel. :/ For those who complain bitterly about everything to do with Sims 4, I hope it has what you want. But I've yet to see the 'proof' so many are going on about.

It might have a colour wheel. But since there's not been any hint whatsoever as to what the people look like, what the gameplay is like or even the vehicles being promised, I don't see 'proof'. Just promises that may or may not happen.

I don't really want to change the subject to focus on Paralives, but the dev has been working alone until recently when he hired a design artist and programmer. This is why he has not shown characters. Back to TS3 now.
    The sims4 was not designed to have a color wheel from the beginning and going back and adding one now would probably take a lot of time. Who knows how much they would have to change in the base game code for that to happen and also update all the packs. Some of this stuff is 5-6 years old now...

Assuming that’s true, the question is why wasn’t it designed to have one from the beginning? That’s what I don’t get. It’s somewhat defensible to say that it’s difficult to shoehorn a colour wheel into the existing framework now, but why not then? It’s the sort of (bad) decision made in the conceptual stage that has baffled me throughout TS4’s run.

I believe it’s half-measures, cut corners, and omissions like this that have led to TS4 being a mediocre product (with positives as well as negatives, don’t get me wrong) five years later.

The game was originally designed to be online. I don't think they ever intended customization in the original version. Besides, the feature in TS3 wasn't that well received. Most people had issues with it due to poor computers or just the lack of optimization from maxis. So for them, it was probably a no brainier to omit it. Marketing usually makes the decisions and most people who have good computers were a) not vocal in the community and/or b) turned off data collection so ea couldn't track their activities. This in turn, meant that a lot of simmers we're left out of metrics just by being computer savvy.

Don't turn off data collection if you want to be represented in the next version of the game. It matters.

Kinda funny how they made this game for low end computers and stuff...but now dropping 32 bit support.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I think what's really sad is how ONE person (yes, ONE) can actually make a game like this with all these features, but The Sims can't even do it with an entire team of people working on it... that's just sad.

THIS!!! THIS IS the REASON I made this thread...but alas they want it to be moved...I was making this point exactly!

It just goes to prove that EA/Maxis don't actually care about their fans. They're literally just money hungry.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • llamasflullamasflu Posts: 221 Member
    & let's not forget that they added the color wheel for futhur customization for pets on cats and dogs... this proves that the game CAN have a color wheel (idk if someone already said this or not in the thread so i apologize if someone else said this already)
    tumblr_nvyznq2a181tiiy96o2_400.gifv
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    & let's not forget that they added the color wheel for futhur customization for pets on cats and dogs... this proves that the game CAN have a color wheel (idk if someone already said this or not in the thread so i apologize if someone else said this already)

Did they? I don’t have Cats & Dogs so I wasn’t aware. Interesting.

Again, I don’t want to discuss Paralives.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

Yes, it can have it, but if you remember, Cats and Dogs was the first expansion to bump up the minimum specs for Sims 4, and I believe there's a good reason for that. I've noticed that my library takes much longer to load households with pets in them, the Gallery takes longer to load them and my household manager takes longer to load them. I have a system well beyond the recommended specs, so when I say "longer", it's really a few seconds more, but for someone with an average or lower system, that's going to make a much bigger difference. And this is just pictures we're talking about. Because it's such a noticeable difference though, I'm inclined to think that having a color wheel for all of the Sims, their clothes and hair and furniture, would have weighed the game down tremendously. Offering that kind of choice usually comes with a price, and my guess is that the price proved too high with Sims 3 so they scrapped it for Sims 4 in favor of performance, knowing that this game had to last even longer than five years.
    I think what's really sad is how ONE person (yes, ONE) can actually make a game like this with all these features, but The Sims can't even do it with an entire team of people working on it... that's just sad.

THIS!!! THIS IS the REASON I made this thread...but alas they want it to be moved...I was making this point exactly!

It just goes to prove that EA/Maxis don't actually care about their fans. They're literally just money hungry.

See my post above. It's really easy to claim they are "money hungry" when a decision is made that goes against personal preference, but it's counterintuitive to say that they left out the color wheel, a highly enjoyed and much-requested feature, because they want more money. If it was just about money and they didn't care about the game, they'd could just jam in all of the features that people want, performance be 🐸🐸🐸🐸, and laugh all the way to the bank...like they did with Sims 3. Sure, a lot of people praise Sims 3, but a lot of people criticize it for its bad performance and excessive crashing as well.

And no one is going to know exactly how "well" Paralives can actually execute the gameplay in the end, so saying it's doing it better because of a few early production videos is extremely premature. When something seems too good to be true....it usually is. People are really raising the expectations for this game and I kind of fear for the developer because he's got a long way to fall if he doesn't meet these demands.
    #Team Occult
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited December 2019

It was most likely a design decision they did, it could be because they wanted to make sure that the game would run well and it could very well be as Mstybl95 said that they did that because the game was originally designed to be online and when they looked at when players played the sims3, the majority did not use the color wheel.

It's possible that because they decided to not have a color wheel, we instead got a better running CAS and build mode. There is no way to really know for sure... but usually with game development when they decide to take some things out, they focus on adding other stuff in, that is within their budget and depending on how many people they have that can work on it.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member

Did they? I don’t have Cats & Dogs so I wasn’t aware. Interesting.

I've been saying that on the thread since the beginning.
    🤣
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Also, my guess that they didn't add color wheel in the beginning is because they thought maybe it might be a bit heavy on performance, and since they were promoting TS4 to be able to play on lighter machines (and before that it was supposed to be an online game), it was just easier to use preset swatches instead of customizable colors.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif

It was most likely a design decision they did, it could be because they wanted to make sure that the game would run well and it could very well be as Mstybl95 said that they did that because the game was originally designed to be online and when they looked at when players played the sims3, the majority did not use the color wheel.

It's possible that because they decided to not have a color wheel, we instead got a better running CAS and build mode. There is no way to really know for sure... but usually with game development when they decide to take some things out, they focus on adding other stuff in, that is within their budget and depending on how many people they have that can work on it.

I don’t know, I just find it unbelievable that a studio with EA’s resources (even taking into account that TS4’s team is a fraction of the company as a whole) had to weigh the pros and cons of something that’s such a ubiquitous feature in most games with any kind of creation aspect.
    DeKay wrote: »
    Also, my guess that they didn't add color wheel in the beginning is because they thought maybe it might be a bit heavy on performance, and since they were promoting TS4 to be able to play on lighter machines (and before that it was supposed to be an online game), it was just easier to use preset swatches instead of customizable colors.

I’m not convinced this was the case. While nobody can say for certain how much a colour wheel would affect performance within their engine, I can’t imagine it’s a big hit. And the impact during actual gameplay would be zero.

If it somehow was the case, I hate the decision to appeal to the lowest common denominator. With that approach, the series never moves forward or evolves.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I never liked the colour wheel in TS3 so I can't say that it's really a selling point for me.

What’s not to like? It basically offers an endless array of colour options, for whatever scheme you want. In the long run it also saves the developers having to constantly add swatches.

I just never liked it. I prefer things more simple with the swatches. It's what I was used to from TS2 and I just never enjoyed having to select all my own colours for things in TS3.

It's kind of weird how you could totally ignore the color wheel in TS3, but players who liked customizing had the option. So weird.

Yeah well I never said it shouldn't be a thing. I simply stated that it wouldn't be a huge selling point for me since I never liked them in TS3.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm.. I would really like a colorwheel for hair. I am not in love with the hair colors we have with the game but when I have tried CC-hair colors there has Bern glitching and the CC-hairstyles had to be updated. In the end I deleted the CC-hair colors so that I could at least add new CC-hairstyles without a problem.

For my part I am less interested in a color-wheel for building but then I fiddle with CAS more than building.
    Hmm.. I would really like a colorwheel for hair. I am not in love with the hair colors we have with the game but when I have tried CC-hair colors there has Bern glitching and the CC-hairstyles had to be updated. In the end I deleted the CC-hair colors so that I could at least add new CC-hairstyles without a problem.

For my part I am less interested in a color-wheel for building but then I fiddle with CAS more than building.

I agree too, I would be satisfied if we had a color wheel for just hair I'd be a happy girl.

Yeah, a colour wheel for hair especially would be a godsend.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited December 2019
    LiELF wrote: »

Yes, it can have it, but if you remember, Cats and Dogs was the first expansion to bump up the minimum specs for Sims 4, and I believe there's a good reason for that. I've noticed that my library takes much longer to load households with pets in them, the Gallery takes longer to load them and my household manager takes longer to load them. I have a system well beyond the recommended specs, so when I say "longer", it's really a few seconds more, but for someone with an average or lower system, that's going to make a much bigger difference. And this is just pictures we're talking about. Because it's such a noticeable difference though, I'm inclined to think that having a color wheel for all of the Sims, their clothes and hair and furniture, would have weighed the game down tremendously. Offering that kind of choice usually comes with a price, and my guess is that the price proved too high with Sims 3 so they scrapped it for Sims 4 in favor of performance, knowing that this game had to last even longer than five years.

The reason TS3 system had poor performance was from poor programming. They didn't even cache the textures. They had to load every single time you used them instead of once at the beginning of each session. Add in the 32-bit system and memory leaks and you have a recipe for disaster on minimum spec systems. The open world was the nail in the coffin. It would have run much better if it was 64-bit alone.

I also want to add that I don't see any difference with cats and dogs. None at all. I make Disney characters so there is a lot of spray painting to make them look like their animated counterpart. Haven't even noticed a twinge in load times.
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Personally, I don’t mind if TS4 doesn’t have a colour wheel.

When I played TS3, there weren’t many swatches for clothing and build/buy mode, so I felt obligated to use the colour wheel. I thought the colour wheel was cool, but TS3 was incredibly laggy on my computer, and would crash often. I also became super nit-picky with designing stuff because of the colour wheel. It took so long to work and for me to get the pattern/colour I wanted, I spent way too much time making sims and building houses.

I would rather have lots of good swatches for clothing and furniture than a colour wheel that’ll mean the developers will make less nice swatches for their stuff.

Okay, a hair colour wheel might be cool, but I honestly don’t mind the hair swatches. I would really like more swatches for brown hair though, as well as more greying hairs for my older sims.
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    Personally, I don’t mind if TS4 doesn’t have a colour wheel.

When I played TS3, there weren’t many swatches for clothing and build/buy mode, so I felt obligated to use the colour wheel. I thought the colour wheel was cool, but TS3 was incredibly laggy on my computer, and would crash often. I also became super nit-picky with designing stuff because of the colour wheel. It took so long to work and for me to get the pattern/colour I wanted, I spent way too much time making sims and building houses.

I would rather have lots of good swatches for clothing and furniture than a colour wheel that’ll mean the developers will make less nice swatches for their stuff.

Okay, a hair colour wheel might be cool, but I honestly don’t mind the hair swatches. I would really like more swatches for brown hair though, as well as more greying hairs for my older sims.

the swatches for hair suck atm...so bad.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Wow! It has cooktops and I like the degree of customization, you can even choose what type of handle you want on your counter drawers!! I wonder what specs are necessary to run it though ?
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Go advertise Paralives on their own forums - if they have them. Not here.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

Agreed actually. These forums are for discussing TS4. If I wanted to discuss paralives I'd go somewhere else and do it.
    edited December 2019

Agreed actually. These forums are for discussing TS4. If I wanted to discuss paralives I'd go somewhere else and do it.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT PARALIVES!!! I am asking a question.

We’ve already been through this ad nauseam - nobody is trying to talk about Paralives except the people complaining about Paralives.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top