Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons Holidays are not integrated w/ Discover University

All holidays from Seasons are not detected in Discover University.

Example: It's Winter Festival day and my Sim still has a class to attend.

Please Gurus, fix this. :disappointed:

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Good idea. My sims get notifications when they're on vacation. Just skip class and go to the festival. :p
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    in the live stream the guru's mentioned that holidays wouldn't affect the sims attending university. I'm not played it yet so i don't know if the holidays are void while at uni or if you still get the holiday list if so you'll just have to make the choice of skipping class to celebrate or attend class and celebrate in freetime.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree. There doesn’t appear to be any way to give a student the day off say for Thanksgiving or whatever it’s called in game. Bit of an oversight.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I am just,....kinda baffled that didn't look into this....it just kinda shows they rushed it and didn't look for something like this....
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am just,....kinda baffled that didn't look into this....it just kinda shows they rushed it and didn't look for something like this....

Or, there is now an enormous amount of code for this game now and this got overlooked and should be brought to the devs attention and it can be fixed. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options

Or, there is now an enormous amount of code for this game now and this got overlooked and should be brought to the devs attention and it can be fixed. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yeah no I don't think so...this team is very known to cut corners and stuff.
  • Options
    Tan80Tan80 Posts: 72 Member
    I don’t know if it’s a bug but my game the random holidays like the lottery and pirates day appear in the calendar and when the day comes they disappear anybody else has this.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Wow, really? How on earth could they have not programmed the classes to work properly with the holidays? That's just terrible.
  • Options

*rolls eyes*
  • Options

*rolls eyes*

You can deny it all you want, but it's true
  • Options
    Wow, really? How on earth could they have not programmed the classes to work properly with the holidays? That's just terrible.

I know right?
  • Options

*rolls eyes*

You can deny it all you want, but it's true

It’s also true that there are some in the forums who will complain about this game no matter what the devs do, even if every box on their wishlist was ticked, they would scour the game to find a fault.

I cannot imagine with all of the packs we have now what the amount of coding must look like for this game now and it doesn’t surprise me in the least that a few things might get missed, but eventually corrected once the devs have knowledge of the problem.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I'm sure this was known before the game was released, either the Gurus said this in the live stream or one of the Game Changers revealed this. Either way, it's still disappointing. Who goes to class on Christmas? :lol:
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    To be fair, it's kind of hard to account for all situations. What if the player assigns a non-working holiday for every day of the calendar? Would the term be extended indefinitely?

I suppose instead of a fixed schedule, they could just say that a term lasts until all MWF classes have had 3 sessions and all TTh classes have had 2 sessions. Which means that your term would last way longer than a week if university accounted for holidays. Or maybe classes are optional on holidays and you can do make up work if you don't go.

Personally, I'd rather just get the term over with :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Since a term is only 5 days, you can check ahead on the calendar as well and either cancel or reschedule a holiday that will interfere. Like if Harvest Fest falls on Thursday, and finals do too, move Harvest Fest to Friday instead
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited November 2019
    Really? That makes NO sense....since it's supposed to be about the University experience (and not really the rabbithole classes) you would think that holidays for students are HUGE! Going home for Christmas break? (through manage households and not an option for the student in the game?) Spring break? Where all heck breaks loose? Nothing?

Yeah....what's this university experience about then?

I'm surprised by this choice on their part. (well, not really)

ETA: Perfect way to integrate EPS......Popup comes up asking the student if they want to go to spring break in Sulani and the cost....allow players to set up a lot in Sulani for that purpose.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Really? That makes NO sense....since it's supposed to be about the University experience (and not really the rabbithole classes) you would think that holidays for students are HUGE! Going home for Christmas break? (through manage households and not an option for the student in the game?) Spring break? Where all heck breaks loose? Nothing?

ETA: Perfect way to integrate EPS......Popup comes up asking the student if they want to go to spring break in Sulani and the cost....allow players to set up a lot in Sulani for that purpose.
    But the term like @Pamtastic72 said is only 5 days and plus you can add holidays so how are they suppose to implement that in?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'll add my voice to those wishing the term would skip a day for the occasion if it's a "day off" sort of holiday. My saves usually have Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, as well as New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and as I usually play with 2 weeks per season, I will probably just get into the habit of not sending sims to until until after the New Year in my saves. I can't always take Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve off work so I let my sims do it :)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options

But the term like @Pamtastic72 said is only 5 days and plus you can add holidays so how are they suppose to implement that in?

It would be impossible actually. Because as one poster pointed out, what if someone created a solid week of no school/work days. Is the game supposed to suspend the final indefinitely? I initially thought this was a bug, but now I think it’s a function of player control. As I said, if an end of term assignment is due on a holiday then it’s probably necessary to either untick the stay home from school/work box and have your sim attend class that day, or move the holiday to a more convenient time.

Also before you come at me with the life simulator argument, there is a limit to hyper realism in this game. Like in general I can’t cancel a holiday and then reschedule it, or simply cancel it entirely. I may choose not to observe but that doesn’t end the holiday for the rest of the world. At some point you have to in this game or any game, suspend reality and fully embrace make believe. The make believe for me personally is what makes this game so amazing & fun.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

It would be impossible actually. Because as one poster pointed out, what if someone created a solid week of no school/work days. Is the game supposed to suspend the final indefinitely? I initially thought this was a bug, but now I think it’s a function of player control. As I said, if an end of term assignment is due on a holiday then it’s probably necessary to either untick the stay home from school/work box and have your sim attend class that day, or move the holiday to a more convenient time.

Also before you come at me with the life simulator argument, there is a limit to hyper realism in this game. Like in general I can’t cancel a holiday and then reschedule it, or simply cancel it entirely. I may choose not to observe but that doesn’t end the holiday for the rest of the world. At some point you have to in this game or any game, suspend reality and fully embrace make believe. The make believe for me personally is what makes this game so amazing & fun.
    I actually think you still can go to class regardless if tells you its a holiday. I have had my sims go to their jobs on a day it said they were suppose to be off because it was a holiday. I don't think its a bug either because yes like you said it would be impossible to implement in when the term is only five days and like you said if you had a week vacation then how would it recognize that. I just think it would be impossible to make the game recognize every holiday that would mean everyday on the calendar would need to be a holiday. Since we can add holidays on the calendar that is.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can't even have a proper Winterfest for example as you can't access buymode when living in a dorm. :/
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2019
    I understand why everyone is so upset about not being able to celebrate the holidays at university but they did say the term is only five days long. It would take way too long to get through uni if they had your sim skip class for every one. It just makes more sense that they are ignored for uni. I think is just something the player will have to skip on their own if they really want to have holidays off.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    I understand why everyone is so upset about not being able to celebrate the holidays at university but they did say the term is only five days long. It would take way too long to get through uni if they had your sim skip class for every one. It just makes more sense that they are ignored for uni. I think is just something the player will have to skip on their own if they really want to have holidays off.
    Yes like you either take the chance you won't fail a class to take the holiday off or go to class on a holiday.:joy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I just edited the holidays to things that could be done at the university (like festive spirit, drinking) and made sure to uncheck the day off work/school and my sim student celebrated Winter Fest and New Years at university. Wish they would have added some of the new uni activities though, like ping pong and the keg.
  • Options
    ceuleantearceuleantear Posts: 11 New Member
    I prefer going to class/working on holidays. It helps me stay on schedule. Also, I had an amazing New Years with my dorm mates; we all watched the TV and counted down until New Years.

My biggest annoyance is trying to figure out where to put holiday items that can be interacted with through out the year. Since you can't use build mode in the dorms, you can't just buy the holiday items on the spot.