Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff packs ain't cheap.

Comments

• Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018
    Sims 3 had a store though. They were sold by the sets. And that stuff was not cheap.
  • Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    lele62 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    RnM92 wrote: »
    I miss the days when Sims Stuff Packs purely followed a decorative theme rather than made up lacking gameplay, followed two or three sub themes within that and had tons of objects, clothes and hair, wallpapers, floors and other building tools/objects. I know they were more expensive but not by much (£5 more than now), especially when you consider how much we got for that money. And because they were only decorative you didn't feel you were missing out on any gameplay if you didn't buy them.

Well I like it.
    Each stuff pack has a theme and game play that supports the theme.
    This adds more value to the pack and it doesn't hurt that it cost $10 instead of $20 as it did with The Sims 3.
    Sims 3 came with 11 EP's though with loads of content/gameplay. Who even needed the SP's.

I had all the EPs and almost none of the SPs for that reason.

People who focus more on building and decorating [im one of those] like to buy SP's to use.

Well, I didn't do much building in TS3, so maybe that's why. Yet, there were so many EPs in TS3 that SPs seemed pointless. Now, in TS4, I do build and I do feel the need for all the packs. Yet, I'm not completely convinced it's strictly a case of now I'm building/decorating or whether I need more SPs to fill the void from 4 EPs instead of 11.
  • Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    Sims 3 had a store though. They were sold by the sets. And that stuff was not cheap.

True, but you could buy exactly what you wanted -- often even just one item instead of an entire set.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

True, but you could buy exactly what you wanted -- often even just one item instead of an entire set.

That's what I liked about The TS3 Store.
    And with all these TS4 stuff packs the amount of content is catching up with the TS3 store.
    Unfortunately we can't buy only the items we want.

I am with the OP for that reason though.
    This is a ridiculous amount of stuff packs and I can understand people being annoyed with game play tied to them because of EA milking it.
    I would rather see an extra game pack a year than 4 stuff packs.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    edited March 2018

Did i claim sims 3 wasn't also stealing costumers, as matter of fact they did. Doasn't mean sims 4 isn't, doasn't make my point irrelevant, it just shows that players that let slide back then, are letting it slide back again and giving them excuses for what they are doing.

This is the very reason 10 objects from movie hang out are being sold for 27$ right now in the sims mobile. 10 decorative objects from a pack you payed 10$ to get full content out off. Just cause there are players who always have excuses.
    vZ7EtErl.jpg

{EA_Lanna: Removed personal remark}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

If you watched ads you could get store content free. I know. I did. The store was in addition to expansions stuffed with content.

How many people would play with their sims 4 with no stuff packs or game packs? I wouldn't.
  • Options
    kismetkismet Posts: 61 Member
    I don't think the stuff packs are completely useless even though I doubt I'd buy any of them. It's great for people who do not want to use CC. I have been playing Sims 4 without CC for a while, I'm too lazy to look for CC. But I am starting to do so now. Buying stuff packs are not a requirement though so it really doesn't matter how much you do or don't buy. You're not going to buy all at once, unless you have $200 to drop willy nilly.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    RnM92 wrote: »
    I miss the days when Sims Stuff Packs purely followed a decorative theme rather than made up lacking gameplay, followed two or three sub themes within that and had tons of objects, clothes and hair, wallpapers, floors and other building tools/objects. I know they were more expensive but not by much (£5 more than now), especially when you consider how much we got for that money. And because they were only decorative you didn't feel you were missing out on any gameplay if you didn't buy them.

Well I like it.
    Each stuff pack has a theme and game play that supports the theme.
    This adds more value to the pack and it doesn't hurt that it cost $10 instead of $20 as it did with The Sims 3.
    Sims 3 came with 11 EP's though with loads of content/gameplay. Who even needed the SP's.

I did, because we had create-a-style and it just brought more stuff to get creative with.
    I also had store content. This isn't about The Sims 3 anyway other than the obvious price difference.
    No one needs stuff packs, they are just if you want more stuff to add to your game.

As a matter of fact people complained about stuff packs because they didn't offer any additional game play.
    So now we have game play and another group of people complain about them having game play. :D
    You made me look (thinking I misread something). You were bringing in Sims 3 there :o I disagree, you need SP’s for Sims 4 far more than for Sims 3. It was nothing but wallpaper in Sims 3 where for Sims 4 SP’s play a much more important part content wise. I don’t remember any complaints about SP’s not having gameplay. They were stuff packs, everybody knew they were. We got so much gameplay through EP’s, why would anyone need gameplay from SP’s back then?

I truly do not care who needs stuff packs more or less, nor did I suggest that any game did. All I said is TS4 has cheaper stuff packs.

I wanted a little game play with my stuff packs and I even made a thread in TS3 ideas and feedback about it.
    And now we have it. People were always complaining about stuff packs and one of the arguments were that stuff packs added nothing to game play and were a waste of money. That's why I suggested the idea.

You really are hypersensitive about TS3.
    Ironically, game play is the main reason why I would want a TS4 stuff pack now because with this art style and no create-a-style, I don't have much interest in TS4's blocky objects. I would rather use custom content. I don't want TS4 stuff packs for hair either. So in the end, the stuff packs have become less useful to me because of the art style. :p

Just game play and clothes. :D

Yes, that’s me, completely hypersensitive and overprotective and not in any way trying to make an objective argument. I’m not talking about Sims 3, you were, in an attempt to explain away EA’s current marketing tricks. Because Sims 3 and Sims 4, they’re both nothing more than the products of the very same company.

All I’m saying is that when you offer something cheaper but make it more essential to buy, that matters. In no way am I saying SP’s for Sims 3 weren’t a rip off, cause they were. It was much easier to tell EA so by not buying them though without missing out on anything, that’s all I’m saying (same with the Store) because they didn’t add any gameplay. They were a rip off and they had rip off written all over them. Where Sims 4’s SP’s scream: “I’m cheap, I’m cheap, and I don’t just have stuff, I also contain gameplay (that will become a bore after you’ve done it twice but I’m not going to tell you that) and did I mention I’m cheap? I’m cheap!”

By no means am I implying you shouldn’t buy and enjoy those ennobled stuff packs. But they’re not cheap just because SP’s in the predecessor (you could easily skip but definitely were overpriced) were more expensive. That’s counting yourself rich.

ETA:

That's what I liked about The TS3 Store.
    And with all these TS4 stuff packs the amount of content is catching up with the TS3 store.
    Unfortunately we can't buy only the items we want.

I am with the OP for that reason though.
    This is a ridiculous amount of stuff packs and I can understand people being annoyed with game play tied to them because of EA milking it.
    I would rather see an extra game pack a year than 4 stuff packs.
    Huh? Ok, we seem to agree then.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    They were sold individually, not just by sets, which is exactly why I liked the Store (shopping). But it was a guilty pleisure shopping there cause yes, it all was overpriced unless you managed to get free points.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Klthf wrote: »
    I doubt 3 EPs have 28-42 different items of gameplay, or did you forget each SP has 2-3 gameplay items? ;)

That said, it's extremely unlikely that someone buys all the packs at once. Most of the sales are made at release. So it really is only $10 US (or regional equivalent) every few months. I bet you spend more than that on a couple servings of coffee.

And you don't have to buy them if they don't add anything for you anyways. I'd rather have more options in my packs than less. Maybe I don't want a $40 EP for one hamster, or one bowling lane. Or, maybe I would never use a bowling lane in an EP and would rather have the kareoke instead. Mix and match, pick and choose.

28-42?

LPS - 2
    PPS - 1
    CKS - 1
    SS - 2
    MHS - 1
    RGS - 2
    KRS - 2
    BYS - 2
    VGS - 2
    BNS - 1
    FS - 1 (2 counting the fitness channel I guess)
    TS - 1 (one piece was broken into 3 smaller pieces that use the same animation as the larger piece)
    LDS - 3 (washer and dryer use same animation)

By my count that’s 21, 22 if I’m being super generous, not 28 and definitely not 42. If you’re going to try and make a case for stuff packs make one that isn’t blatantly false. Ok?

I would like to refer you to the post of SimGuruGraham (here) where he explains how new objects are made. I think this gives a pretty good idea of what is considered a new object by the developers. There are mimics, like chairs and tables, that don't require any new development and have their own block model ready. They are made by external partners based on the existing block models. New objects actually require time and effort from the developers. These new objects are all the gameplay objects, but also objects that require new functionality, and therefore a new block model. That means that things like the six seat table in Laundry Day Stuff is considered a new object by the developers. Kids Room Stuff had all the voidcritters and Fitness Stuff had the ear buds and the ability to do fitness using the television.

This means it is just a matter of perspective of what to count as new objects. Don't forget that all those functionalities require just as much time from the developers as all these new gameplay objects. And we are paying for all of that, not just the new gameplay objects.

Besides all of this, it is very unlikely someone is going to buy all the packs at once, as has been said. 10 dollars or euros or whatever the equivalent is, is just the same as the price for, say, a pizza or some cups of coffee or whatever. I do realise that not everyone is a millionaire and that this price can be much to someone that has to scrape every penny out of the bottom of their wallet every month. But it is not obligatiory to buy every pack. It remains a personal choice. And everyone has to make that choice for themselves.

I get that, and I respect it, but they are only selling these packs on the explicit new gameplay provided. It definitely took some dev time to make that 6 seater table, but in the bigger picture that isn’t new. Base game tables can hold up to 8 Sims.

Making a new mesh is not something that qualifies as new gameplay if the gameplay and animations associated with it already exist in the game.
  • Options
    _ayogabby__ayogabby_ Posts: 10 New Member
    Are All the Stuff Packs Worth the Buy? Or, only certain ones? And, yeah. They are not cheap! Waiting for a sale to drop! Come on EA! 🤗😅😳
  • Options
    RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    _ayogabby_ wrote: »
    Are All the Stuff Packs Worth the Buy? Or, only certain ones? And, yeah. They are not cheap! Waiting for a sale to drop! Come on EA! 🤗😅😳

I don't actually think that anyone can really answer that for you. If the theme of the pack appeals to you then you will probably find it worth it. If it doesn't then you probably won't use any of the items, in which case it won't be worth buying unless you are a collector and just want all the packs.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    They are worth for exactly half their price - just like the EPs and GPs are (especially as of lately). I tend to buy them on sale.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    They are worth for exactly half their price - just like the EPs and GPs are (especially as of lately). I tend to buy them on sale.

exactly, all of the packs are overpriced...not to mention certain EPs that seem more like a GP and GPs that are more of an SP *cough*spa day, island living*cough*
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    They are completely optional but I like the content of most of them. I have nearly all of them because I picked them up here and there over the course of several years. As someone else has said, the cost of going to movies, etc, has gone up and these are replayable. I picked some of them up as bundles or sales.

I really think they are just customization options. Like the theme? Go for it. Don't like the theme? Do without. I like that I don't have to repeat content a lot.

I always reviewed all of the content before making a decision. A few of them towards the end were definitely one that I just got on sale. I think they improved after the first few like Spooky and Luxury Party. I use Spooky now that I have Seasons and so I only got it around then. Luxury Party is the one I could probably do most without but I've installed the chocolate fountain at popular wedding venues.

I held out on MFPS because the theme really hasn't appealed to me and the CAS/BB wasn't strong enough. Maybe when I have a new round of kids it will make sense to add small pets, but I'm in no rush and again, it's totally optional.

I like when SPs have added things to do like bowling, movies and other hobbies. I'd see more of them get released if they add more small activities.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I agree they're not cheap, but they do make a lot of difference in the game, at least for me. And honestly, if you buy all dlc at once of course it will be extremely expensive, considering we have 5 years of content. I don't think that's a very good point.

I have all the SPs and didn't spend $140, cause 1) sales 2)bundles.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I have no beef with the Stuff Packs for TS4, and I don't find the price to be out of sync with the amount of content that you receive. Price point per item, I paid way more in TS3 store buying items on release day. I don't own all the stuff packs, and I don't intend to, as they're niche themes that are designed to fill small gaps in content for the players that WANT those niche items.

If you own them all, that's great, no judgement, but it's not a requirement to enjoy the game. In fact, I'd argue the opposite, if you hate a particular theme it's definitely in your best interest to pass on it to continue to enjoy your game. lol

As always, value is determined by how much you desire or appreciate something. It sounds like Stuff Packs are just not your thing, OP, and so they hold little value to you. There is nothing wrong with that, but we'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to viewing the price objectively, because I really do feel EA has assigned an acceptable monetary value in ratio to what is included in TS4 Stuff Packs. Even on the stuff packs that I absolutely abhor and avoided, I still feel like the monetary value was good in ratio to the items you received. I just didn't want those items or themes.

tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited November 2019
    To be honest, unless you're in a situation in life where you need to live frugally, $10 stuff packs is nothing. I spend more money getting sweets at the grocery store every week (yea I know that's unhealthy I don't care). Getting one stuff pack every couple of months is nothing.

It's a lot if you buy all of this all at once, but this game is old. You're not supposed to spend it all in one go. Wait for summer and winter sales and buy a few DLC packs at a time, and build up the collection over a few years.

With our current inflated economy, the cost of a few DLCs is pocket change.

I can understand seeing it as expensive if you're a college student, or work a low-wadge job, or just happen to have gotten into a financial rut. That plums and if you're one of those people I hope that you'll be able to get yourself to living comfortably soon!

But that doesn't change the fact that this game really isn't that expensive if you don't buy it all in one go.

Sims 3 expansions may have been better than Sims 4's expansions, but the Sims 4 Stuff Packs are an insanely better deal than Sims 3's stuff packs or the sets you would buy in Sims 3's online store.

I would love for them to quit making stuff packs and focus on making better game packs and expansions more frequently instead, because I prefer gameplay to stuff as I'm not a builder. But I don't think the price of stuff packs is unreasonable.
    Post edited by Sheepiling on
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited November 2019
    That's how EA is making their money off the sims 4, they know simmers cave at the 10:00 price mark cause it's so cheap. That's why sims 4 has the most stuff packs out of any other sims game thus far cause they see were the money is going. What people don't realize is that your getting way less with sims 4 stuff packs and still paying a lot more. Not everyone will get all the stuff packs but for collectors who do, it really does add up later on down the road, you won't see how much you've spent until the game is completely done. I personally never cared for stuff packs and always thought they were items that could easily been implanted in the expansion packs or base game. Same for those game play packs, just stuff chopped up that could been in the expansion, just another way to withhold game play to get more money.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    In response to the title of the thread - compared to what? A pack of bread? Yeah. But buying Sims 4 content will never have any impact on our budget. Not even at full price.

When it comes to the cost of this game and its packs AND the candy, I'm with @Sheepiling :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Fingers crossed we get a good sale this Black Friday :)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2019

Yes it looked expensive but the store also had giveaways, sales and there was an app that allowed you to earn some sims money by watching ads and I did that. After awhile some of the sets given away for free. While there was an downside there was also an upside. Yes, SPs are cheap but buying an SP for just one or two items and the rest is fluff can be looked at by some as waste. Also, with the advent of Sims 4 the way packs are published has changed. So all in all I see The OP point but EA/Maxis is not going to do away with it.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I will say that what irks me about the stuff packs is that they don't go on sale. Everything else goes on sale but from Black Friday to now I have watched every sale item like a hawk and not once has the stuff packs gone on sale. I now own all the EPs and GPs but those stuff packs never go down less than $10!
  • Options
    simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    I find it comical how limited the content is in stuff packs. There is not enough things in a stuff pack to be worth $10. I feel like they were after thoughts from expansion packs or something and they thought they could make a quick buck on selling the few items as a "stuff pack".
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    edited December 2019
    I will say that what irks me about the stuff packs is that they don't go on sale. Everything else goes on sale but from Black Friday to now I have watched every sale item like a hawk and not once has the stuff packs gone on sale. I now own all the EPs and GPs but those stuff packs never go down less than $10!

Spooky stuff was down to £5 during halloween! I agree it's a shame that the others haven't in the last few sales.