Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff packs ain't cheap.

Comments

• TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018
    No because see, I love , love, love stuff packs.

Just not the latest one. Tacky looking BB stuff , blech.
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    They are cheap in that you don't have to buy all of them and can pick and choose which ones fit your gameplay. I don't have three of them because there isn't anything in them that I would use often enough to justify the ten dollars but the stuff packs I do own I use almost everytime I play. I also can spend ten dollars here and ten dollars there more often than spending twenty or forty dollars. I also didn't buy them all in one go and have bought one at a time over the past two and half years. I also didn't buy stuff packs for the previous Sims games except for the sims 2 and that was mansion and garden stuff. They were more expensive and came with less content then we get now.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Videg games are all about DLC, sub fees, etc. It's not the 80s any more. The downside is that games are most costly if you want to play them to their full capacity. The upside is that content is added and bugs can be patched. In the old days, you'd buy a game and that was it....you lived with the bugs and you received the game in it's final state.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I like the SP they have been stuff to do for my sims even if there are a tad more then there should be.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    edited March 2018
    I doubt 3 EPs have 28-42 different items of gameplay, or did you forget each SP has 2-3 gameplay items? ;)

That said, it's extremely unlikely that someone buys all the packs at once. Most of the sales are made at release. So it really is only $10 US (or regional equivalent) every few months. I bet you spend more than that on a couple servings of coffee.

And you don't have to buy them if they don't add anything for you anyways. I'd rather have more options in my packs than less. Maybe I don't want a $40 EP for one hamster, or one bowling lane. Or, maybe I would never use a bowling lane in an EP and would rather have the kareoke instead. Mix and match, pick and choose.

28-42?

LPS - 2
    PPS - 1
    CKS - 1
    SS - 2
    MHS - 1
    RGS - 2
    KRS - 2
    BYS - 2
    VGS - 2
    BNS - 1
    FS - 1 (2 counting the fitness channel I guess)
    TS - 1 (one piece was broken into 3 smaller pieces that use the same animation as the larger piece)
    LDS - 3 (washer and dryer use same animation)

By my count that’s 21, 22 if I’m being super generous, not 28 and definitely not 42. If you’re going to try and make a case for stuff packs make one that isn’t blatantly false. Ok?

I would like to refer you to the post of SimGuruGraham (here) where he explains how new objects are made. I think this gives a pretty good idea of what is considered a new object by the developers. There are mimics, like chairs and tables, that don't require any new development and have their own block model ready. They are made by external partners based on the existing block models. New objects actually require time and effort from the developers. These new objects are all the gameplay objects, but also objects that require new functionality, and therefore a new block model. That means that things like the six seat table in Laundry Day Stuff is considered a new object by the developers. Kids Room Stuff had all the voidcritters and Fitness Stuff had the ear buds and the ability to do fitness using the television.

This means it is just a matter of perspective of what to count as new objects. Don't forget that all those functionalities require just as much time from the developers as all these new gameplay objects. And we are paying for all of that, not just the new gameplay objects.

Besides all of this, it is very unlikely someone is going to buy all the packs at once, as has been said. 10 dollars or euros or whatever the equivalent is, is just the same as the price for, say, a pizza or some cups of coffee or whatever. I do realise that not everyone is a millionaire and that this price can be much to someone that has to scrape every penny out of the bottom of their wallet every month. But it is not obligatiory to buy every pack. It remains a personal choice. And everyone has to make that choice for themselves.
  • Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    Yeah i agree. For some people $10 is alot to spend on entertainment. Just because someone isnt on the street dirt poor doesn't mean there aren't other expenses going on. Like everything wants a subscription (Netflix, crunchyroll, amazon ect) And it does add up. I only purchased two Stuff packs at full price because I was certain I would like every bit. (gameplay, CAS and build.) others were on a sale. The point is some people don't want to fell like they are getting ripped off. Some people want to feel like they are getting their money's worth. I'm aware that's subjective, whats an essential to one may not be be to another. But just keep that in mind. Believe it or not, just because someone is criticizing something doesn't mean they are hating on it or being negative. They are just voicing concerns. Also some people feel that spending alot of money on DLC is a bit far, even if its not all at one. My nephew cringed when he looked up how much he spent over the years on League of legends.
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    Klthf wrote: »
    I doubt 3 EPs have 28-42 different items of gameplay, or did you forget each SP has 2-3 gameplay items? ;)

That said, it's extremely unlikely that someone buys all the packs at once. Most of the sales are made at release. So it really is only $10 US (or regional equivalent) every few months. I bet you spend more than that on a couple servings of coffee.

And you don't have to buy them if they don't add anything for you anyways. I'd rather have more options in my packs than less. Maybe I don't want a $40 EP for one hamster, or one bowling lane. Or, maybe I would never use a bowling lane in an EP and would rather have the kareoke instead. Mix and match, pick and choose.

28-42?

LPS - 2
    PPS - 1
    CKS - 1
    SS - 2
    MHS - 1
    RGS - 2
    KRS - 2
    BYS - 2
    VGS - 2
    BNS - 1
    TS - 1 (one piece was broken into 3 smaller pieces that use the same animation as the larger piece)

By my count that’s 21, 22 if I’m being super generous, not 28 and definitely not 42. If you’re going to try and make a case for stuff packs make one that isn’t blatantly false. Ok?

I would like to refer you to the post of SimGuruGraham (here) where he explains how new objects are made. I think this gives a pretty good idea of what is considered a new object by the developers. There are mimics, like chairs and tables, that don't require any new development and have their own block model ready. They are made by external partners based on the existing block models. New objects actually require time and effort from the developers. These new objects are all the gameplay objects, but also objects that require new functionality, and therefore a new block model. That means that things like the six seat table in Laundry Day Stuff is considered a new object by the developers. Kids Room Stuff had all the voidcritters and Fitness Stuff had the ear buds and the ability to do fitness using the television.

This means it is just a matter of perspective of what to count as new objects. Don't forget that all those functionalities require just as much time from the developers as all these new gameplay objects. And we are paying for all of that, not just the new gameplay objects.

Besides all of this, it is very unlikely someone is going to buy all the packs at once, as has been said. 10 dollars or euros or whatever the equivalent is, is just the same as the price for, say, a pizza or some cups of coffee or whatever. I do realise that not everyone is a millionaire and that this price can be much to someone that has to scrape every penny out of the bottom of their wallet every month. But it is not obligatiory to buy every pack. It remains a personal choice. And everyone has to make that choice for themselves.

The six seat table is not an hard thing to do, it's a matter of adding new slots to an existing object aka the tables. as a matter of fact adding new slots to tables is so easy i could add 500 slots in a matter of a half hour using s4studio. Tha fact that you consider it an new object is sad.

Otherwise all the other objects you mentioned are counted.
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    Klthf wrote: »

28-42?

LPS - 2
    PPS - 1
    CKS - 1
    SS - 2
    MHS - 1
    RGS - 2
    KRS - 2
    BYS - 2
    VGS - 2
    BNS - 1

The six seat table is not an hard thing to do, it's a matter of adding new slots to an existing object aka the tables. as a matter of fact adding new slots to tables is so easy i could add 500 slots in a matter of a half hour using s4studio. Tha fact that you consider it an new object is sad.

Otherwise all the other objects you mentioned are counted.

Thank you for answering. I think you misread my post, or otherwise I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about block models. Every time a new block model is needed, it is considered a new object by the developers. This has actually been confirmed by SimGuruGraham in the thread I referred to.
  • lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm fine with SPs. I buy them just like I buy GPs and EPs. I certainly don't expect as much since they are only $10. However, I don't usually buy them right away unlike some GPs. EPs are about the only packs I've bought immediately upon release with the exception of the times I wasn't currently playing TS4. I have other games I enjoy other than TS4 and can get wrapped up in them instead. I currently own all the packs and it has been my choice to purchase them all of them.

I would like to add that Laundry Day SP actually, to my count has 5 gameplay items (washtub, clothes line, hamper and the washer and dryer) with the washer and dryer having the same animation.

Yes, they add up and that's the part that's getting old for me. The whole shabang is expensive -- more expensive than any other game I've played.
    Post edited by lele62 on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    happygurl wrote: »

28-42?

LPS - 2
    PPS - 1
    CKS - 1
    SS - 2
    MHS - 1
    RGS - 2
    KRS - 2
    BYS - 2
    VGS - 2
    BNS - 1

I don't think that comment was necessary. Can we make our comments about the game and not other posters? Not trying to start something, just hoping we can get along even if we disagree.
    That comment was about a case that was made, not about the poster. I agree with that because I have no idea what's in TS4 SP's and believed it.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Simanite wrote: »
    RnM92 wrote: »
    I miss the days when Sims Stuff Packs purely followed a decorative theme rather than made up lacking gameplay, followed two or three sub themes within that and had tons of objects, clothes and hair, wallpapers, floors and other building tools/objects. I know they were more expensive but not by much (£5 more than now), especially when you consider how much we got for that money. And because they were only decorative you didn't feel you were missing out on any gameplay if you didn't buy them.

You get the same amount of objects in TS4 SPs as you did TS3 SPs as well as interactive objects for a lower price, how could anyone see that as a bad things?. TS3 SP themes were nearly all horrendous.
    I think you missed the point: 'rather than made up lacking gameplay' and 'didn't feel you were missing out on any gameplay if you didn't buy them'.
    5JZ57S6.png
    A pack of smokes costs less than $10. I used to smoke, but got to a point where the cost was an issue just as much as the health issues. Pizza isn't that great for you either. Go to the grocery store. Not too many things in that store costs more than $10, but your grocery bill will eventually add up depending on how many items you put in your cart.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited March 2018
    I miss the days when Sims Stuff Packs purely followed a decorative theme rather than made up lacking gameplay, followed two or three sub themes within that and had tons of objects, clothes and hair, wallpapers, floors and other building tools/objects. I know they were more expensive but not by much (£5 more than now), especially when you consider how much we got for that money. And because they were only decorative you didn't feel you were missing out on any gameplay if you didn't buy them.

Well I like it.
    Each stuff pack has a theme and game play that supports the theme.
    This adds more value to the pack and it doesn't hurt that it cost $10 instead of $20 as it did with The Sims 3.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited March 2018
    CK213 wrote: »

Well I like it.
    This adds more value to the pack and it doesn't hurt that it cost $10 instead of $20 as it did with The Sims 3.
    Sims 3 came with 11 EP's though with loads of content/gameplay. Who even needed the SP's.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Well I like it.
    Sims 3 came with 11 EP's though with loads of content/gameplay. Who even needed the SP's.

I had all the EPs and almost none of the SPs for that reason.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't mind the stuff packs. I think you get a good amount of content for ten dollars. I do have a problem with stuff packs being used to finish off an expansion pack. The upcoming stuff pack feels like it is adding stuff that should have gone in the expansion.

Well I like it.

I did, because we had create-a-style and it just brought more stuff to get creative with.
    I also had store content. This isn't about The Sims 3 anyway other than the obvious price difference.
    No one needs stuff packs, they are just if you want more stuff to add to your game.

As a matter of fact people complained about stuff packs because they didn't offer any additional game play.
    So now we have game play and another group of people complain about them having game play. :D
  • DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    > @Misa_wants_Pepsi said:
    > Yeah i agree. For some people $10 is alot to spend on entertainment. Just because someone isnt on the street dirt poor doesn't mean there aren't other expenses going on. Like everything wants a subscription (Netflix, crunchyroll, amazon ect) And it does add up. I only purchased two Stuff packs at full price because I was certain I would like every bit. (gameplay, CAS and build.) others were on a sale. The point is some people don't want to fell like they are getting ripped off. Some people want to feel like they are getting their money's worth. I'm aware that's subjective, whats an essential to one may not be be to another. But just keep that in mind. Believe it or not, just because someone is criticizing something doesn't mean they are hating on it or being negative. They are just voicing concerns. Also some people feel that spending alot of money on DLC is a bit far, even if its not all at one. My nephew cringed when he looked up how much he spent over the years on League of legends.

Thank you for mentioning this! I'm a college student. 10 dollars is 50 breakfasts for me.... Or 10% of a textbook.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I don't mind the stuff packs but they are optional and they aren't really that expensive (Unless you have another currency). If you don't want it, don't buy it. That's all I'm saying.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    This is a game, not necessity. It's also not required to purchase packs at full cost, as many are offered at a discount, including at time of launch. By the logic the OP is using, EPs and GPs are expensive. Let's agree to disagree. We all have different values, preferences, income. Buy what you like and can afford. And everyone is happy
    edited March 2018

Well I like it.

I did, because we had create-a-style and it just brought more stuff to get creative with.
    I also had store content. This isn't about The Sims 3 anyway other than the obvious price difference.
    No one needs stuff packs, they are just if you want more stuff to add to your game.

As a matter of fact people complained about stuff packs because they didn't offer any additional game play.
    So now we have game play and another group of people complain about them having game play. :D
    You made me look (thinking I misread something). You were bringing in Sims 3 there :o I disagree, you need SP’s for Sims 4 far more than for Sims 3. It was nothing but wallpaper in Sims 3 where for Sims 4 SP’s play a much more important part content wise. I don’t remember any complaints about SP’s not having gameplay. They were stuff packs, everybody knew they were. We got so much gameplay through EP’s, why would anyone need gameplay from SP’s back then?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    At this point of tike there is 14 stuff packs, each cost 10$ that would 140$ for stuff packs compilation and you would hardly get enough content to expand on the base game and keep you interested for more than two weeks. In that money you could have bought 3 and a half expension packs which are guaranteed to give you more gameplay than 14+ which you would get in said stuff packs.

The existence of stuff packs is not doing the game any good, so i personally think they should d cease to exist.

They're half the price of Sims 3 SPs, and they include at least one new gameplay object which Sims 3 SPs did not. So by that token they are more inexpensive than Sims 3 SPs. They're also a way to get content in the game that we otherwise would not have because they feature items that neither the GP or EP teams plan to explore. There are packs that I use more than others but I've found that each SP does add value of a sort to my saves; Luxury Party isn't one of my top priorities but I've used the content to make some lovely wedding/party venues (the buffet tables saves my Sims from having to hire a caterer that only makes BLTs). There are some nice wall and floor textures in Spooky Stuff that work great in creating older-looking builds. And we wouldn't have gotten the round dining tables in C&D or the new SP if it hadn't been for the great reception to the 6 seat round umbrella tables in Backyard Stuff.

If you don't like a particular SP theme, you can easily skip it or wait till a sale hits.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    lele62 wrote: »

Well I like it.

I had all the EPs and almost none of the SPs for that reason.

People who focus more on building and decorating [im one of those] like to buy SP's to use.
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    At this point of tike there is 14 stuff packs, each cost 10$ that would 140$ for stuff packs compilation and you would hardly get enough content to expand on the base game and keep you interested for more than two weeks. In that money you could have bought 3 and a half expension packs which are guaranteed to give you more gameplay than 14+ which you would get in said stuff packs.

The existence of stuff packs is not doing the game any good, so i personally think they should d cease to exist.

They're half the price of Sims 3 SPs, and they include at least one new gameplay object which Sims 3 SPs did not. So by that token they are more inexpensive than Sims 3 SPs. They're also a way to get content in the game that we otherwise would not have because they feature items that neither the GP or EP teams plan to explore. There are packs that I use more than others but I've found that each SP does add value of a sort to my saves; Luxury Party isn't one of my top priorities but I've used the content to make some lovely wedding/party venues (the buffet tables saves my Sims from having to hire a caterer that only makes BLTs). There are some nice wall and floor textures in Spooky Stuff that work great in creating older-looking builds. And we wouldn't have gotten the round dining tables in C&D or the new SP if it hadn't been for the great reception to the 6 seat round umbrella tables in Backyard Stuff.

If you don't like a particular SP theme, you can easily skip it or wait till a sale hits.

sims 3 had only 8 stuff packs during it's full life time which included only decorative items that had no effect on the gameplay of the basegame, making them fully optional. Where as sims 4 currently have 14 stuff packs, with more to come, with core gameplay objects spread across each that can only be unlocked only if you paid for that one pack with that 10$. And when i say core gameplay objects i mean it because the game is lacking and content and in order to have a fuller experience you gotta cath them all. Moreover claiming they are optional is not fully true when they are the main focus of this iteration and the proof is the number of the packs.
    I mean 4 years in and we have 14 sp and only 4 ep and 6 game packs there is no balance in those number and it's pretty obvious.

"they feature items that neither the GP or EP teams plan to explore."
    And why exactly is that, it's not like they have a vastly diffrent theme nor are the expension packs we are getting are full and fleshed out, when compering them to older iteration, the reason is they purposely don't include that content so they could release it separately later.
    Now take a look at the stuff packs
    -Luxury party and bowling could have been included in get together, they had party's in that and bowling is a club activity that is played with a group.
    -Perfect patio and vintage glamour and laundry in city living.
    Kids and toddlers could have fit in parenthood.
    -Buckyard, spooky and cool kitchen in seasons.
    Romantic garden in jungle adventure, that wishing well is so fitting.
    -Fitness could be included in an upcoming game pack that im sure is coming, the one focusing on sports, they done it before in sims 2 and sims 4 is definitely lacking in thos category. Unless they decide to devide each sport object into it's own stuff pack than that's something else.
    -And of course movie hangout, which could be included anywhere.
    The point is that it's not that they don't plan it's they have other plans.

Sorry for the long post, here's a meme
    05-patrick.w710.h473.jpg
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

edited March 2018

Well I like it.

You made me look (thinking I misread something). You were bringing in Sims 3 there :o I disagree, you need SP’s for Sims 4 far more than for Sims 3. It was nothing but wallpaper in Sims 3 where for Sims 4 SP’s play a much more important part content wise. I don’t remember any complaints about SP’s not having gameplay. They were stuff packs, everybody knew they were. We got so much gameplay through EP’s, why would anyone need gameplay from SP’s back then?

I truly do not care who needs stuff packs more or less, nor did I suggest that any game did. All I said is TS4 has cheaper stuff packs.

I wanted a little game play with my stuff packs and I even made a thread in TS3 ideas and feedback about it.
    And now we have it. People were always complaining about stuff packs and one of the arguments were that stuff packs added nothing to game play and were a waste of money. That's why I suggested the idea.

You really are hypersensitive about TS3.
    Ironically, game play is the main reason why I would want a TS4 stuff pack now because with this art style and no create-a-style, I don't have much interest in TS4's blocky objects. I would rather use custom content. I don't want TS4 stuff packs for hair either. So in the end, the stuff packs have become less useful to me because of the art style. :p

Just game play and clothes. :D
    Post edited by CK213 on