March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 DISCOVER UNIVERSITY OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION LEAKED + BOXART

Comments

• ThetfordThetford Posts: 428 Member
    Well, it sounds like based on university names alone, the Foxbury Institute will be a stand in for MIT, being STEM focused, while Britechester will be the more scholarly academic one. I'm guessing with the names alone, especially the suffixes -chester and -bury, that the location will be based either in a New England environment, or break from tradition of the past two versions, and be located in Britain, the latter especially could lend itself to a Cambridge stand in due to being both historical and bicycle friendly, though the actual activities included describe a more American university.

In regards to classes you can attend, it is still possible that it isn't limited to four subjects, though this may depend on how interactive or unique the subjects are - for example, TS2 that had 11.5 majors, where the only difference was which skills they required, and all your sim did was attend a rabbit hole class, write a paper, and attend a rabbit hole exam, meanwhile TS3 only had 6, but included open classes and seminars, unique objects and interactions.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    no juice keg ?
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I’m going to need details in the teacher career. I hope it’s an active career but no details on that yet. Last time I tried to play in TS2 as a teacher, my teacher had a son and she couldn’t go to work because her son started school after she started work, and the game wouldn’t let her leave him alone for an hour😂😂😂 she ended up quitting after 2 Days.
    Probably going to need logic and charisma for the career so I’ll be preparing my sim for that
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    no juice keg ?

I hope there's a keg, but we don't know much at all without a build/buy list.

I'm guessing that the possible new jobs (law, education and engineering) are going to be rabbit hole jobs. I don't see how those could be active jobs without very elaborate extras like schools and a courthouse. They are probably rabbit holes because I can't see how they would have enough active actions to do to keep them interesting. The old watching paint dry thing. But even three new rabbit hole jobs are better than none at all and I'll gladly give them to some of my sims. Because we will be getting an actual college (two no less), I'd rather have a professor career where my sim could give lectures and meet with students about their grades and give tests and, yes, maybe hook up with a willing student. It happens.

I'm really excited about robotics and hope that means the return of servos. And if they make them able to wear human clothes, don't think I won't dress them in those robot costumes.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the possible new jobs (law, education and engineering) are going to be rabbit hole jobs. I don't see how those could be active jobs without very elaborate extras like schools and a courthouse. They are probably rabbit holes because I can't see how they would have enough active actions to do to keep them interesting. The old watching paint dry thing. But even three new rabbit hole jobs are better than none at all and I'll gladly give them to some of my sims. Because we will be getting an actual college (two no less), I'd rather have a professor career where my sim could give lectures and meet with students about their grades and give tests and, yes, maybe hook up with a willing student. It happens.
    😵😵😵You have a very good point about needing schools/ courthouses. Nonetheless, I still look forward to the new careers😉
  • jacechujacechu Posts: 87 Member
    Saw the leaks last night. I'm thinking it looks pretty good. I also think it's pretty legit. Furthermore, I'm guessing that there will be some hidden stuff too, like Father Winter's Baby, the grilled cheese aspiration, Sulani mana, ect ect. Of course, I still have a lot of questions: are the subjects listed majors? are you locked into one university- meaning if you choose to get your art degree at Britechester University, could you then turn around and get a biology degree at Foxbury Institute? For that matter, are all majors available at both universities, or is one school focused on arts/history and the other tech? How do you pay for it? The description doesn't mention scholarships or an aptitude test, and I feel like if were there, they'd have mentioned it. It also doesn't mention loans. So I assume you must pay for it yourself.

I'm also quite interested in what's coming with the pre-patch update. As it currently stands, teens can't go to university unless they overhaul the education system to have graduation requirements other than age - allowing some teenagers to graduate high school early (depending upon how you play them). Something like "complete homework 10 times" or something. Not only does the little workbook count, but the projects from Parenthood and the small pets from MFPS (yes I know everyone hates that pack) count as homework. So maybe something like that, or some sort of overhaul for education, is coming. I agree with everyone saying private school should be a thing again.
    Sims YouTube
    Twitter
    Gallery ID: jacechu06
    jacechu wrote: »
    Saw the leaks last night. I'm thinking it looks pretty good. I also think it's pretty legit. Furthermore, I'm guessing that there will be some hidden stuff too, like Father Winter's Baby, the grilled cheese aspiration, Sulani mana, ect ect. Of course, I still have a lot of questions: are the subjects listed majors? are you locked into one university- meaning if you choose to get your art degree at Britechester University, could you then turn around and get a biology degree at Foxbury Institute? For that matter, are all majors available at both universities, or is one school focused on arts/history and the other tech? How do you pay for it? The description doesn't mention scholarships or an aptitude test, and I feel like if were there, they'd have mentioned it. It also doesn't mention loans. So I assume you must pay for it yourself.

I'm also quite interested in what's coming with the pre-patch update. As it currently stands, teens can't go to university unless they overhaul the education system to have graduation requirements other than age - allowing some teenagers to graduate high school early (depending upon how you play them). Something like "complete homework 10 times" or something. Not only does the little workbook count, but the projects from Parenthood and the small pets from MFPS (yes I know everyone hates that pack) count as homework. So maybe something like that, or some sort of overhaul for education, is coming. I agree with everyone saying private school should be a thing again.

You raise a lot of good points, but we probably won't get answers until we begin to play.

I think it would be nice to have art and robotic/engineering offered at Foxbury Institute and teaching and law at the University of Britechester. This way, you need to choose the college that fits with your future goals, which, later in life, might change and require more education.
  • jacechujacechu Posts: 87 Member

You raise a lot of good points, but we probably won't get answers until we begin to play.

I think it would be nice to have art and robotic/engineering offered at Foxbury Institute and teaching and law at the University of Britechester. This way, you need to choose the college that fits with your future goals, which, later in life, might change and require more education.

Could have sworn I'd outright put "I don't expect answers to those questions until later" somewhere in my post. But apparently I'd forgot
    Sims YouTube
    Twitter
    Gallery ID: jacechu06
  • TX12001TX12001 Posts: 46 Member
    Hopefully Robotics will result in a new type of Sim you can add to your house-hold AKA Simbot.
  • QueenarellaQueenarella Posts: 3,379 Member
    I've been waiting for a teaching career for so long! I'd love to have sim teachers :love:
  • CAF84CAF84 Posts: 113 Member
    The teaching career is either a rabbit hole career or if it is indeed an active one, it will be a university lecturer/professor role, rather than a teacher.

So close and yet so far.

There is nothing surprising in this. It doesn’t sound terribly interesting. I kept waiting for a big proper feature (like sports, bands etc.), but there isn’t one. I’m not surprised.
  • SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed by the lack of majors. This is exactly what I feared - like 4 "general" majors (the ones we got are not even general in my eyes) that are made to fit all careers.

As this is just a quick summary of what is included, I think there is a chance that they just listed off four of the majors as an example and not the full extent of choices.

I hope you're right, but this would be something they do in TS4, so I fear it's not too far fetched that these are the majors we got.

Also I fear they tried to make them really general:

biology = doctor & veterinary career, also cook and sports career,
    computer science = all of the tech careers (tech guru, engineering) also the science career and astronaut things
    villainy = police, crime and law career
    art history = archeology, style influencer, entertainer, writer, social media, art critic, also politics career (lots of politicians are general arts or law majors, so villainy could work with politics too),

So, I fear that's all we got.

I am seriously hoping there are more, like what about film? Music? Business? So many others
  • SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member

Yes, maybe a test or exam once a week or something. And you get a special study book for the tests or even just like 3 subjects like math language and history and you get a study book for each which affects your grade. Just something new
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    if them three new careers were work-from-home, i'd totally fine with it. so hopefully wont function like the part-time fishing and life-guard career from island living.
    y'all got bread?
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    This is going to be a very disappointing EP for me if they don't branch out their majors. TS3 Uni was a massive letdown because of the lack of subject variety. I've been looking forward to this pack for a long time, but I really hope there's more to be revealed. Given how close we are to release without official announcement I'm worried they don't have much more to show us.
  • MayFlower49MayFlower49 Posts: 262 Member
    It'd be so cool if they could have theatre class with plays and stuff. The sets can look similar to the get famous acting sets just more like they belong to a school. And there could be audience members like the students' parents and siblings and friends. Although that'd probably be more fitting for high school; it's not a typical university thing. But it would still be really fun...
    tenor.gif
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Looking back at the features list, and thinking about how things have worked in previous packs, these are my expectations:

- Four neighborhoods. 1 hood for the historic university, with 4 lots (classroom building, common area venue, library, dorm building). 1 hood for the modern university, with the same 4 lots. 1 hood with 3 - 5 lots for off-campus living. 1 hood for a park.
    - Classroom buildings are locked to Build/Buy, like tombs in JA. They may be unlocked through the cheat, but if so, special NPC sims like lecturers will no longer visit the building, like sages in RoM.
    - Your sim is locked to the university world. Off-campus living is restricted to the neighborhoods of Britechester that don't contain school buildings (and are technically not part of campus).
    - Bikes available for young adults + in Britechester only.
    - School organizations like art, debate, secret society will all be rabbitholes.
    - School spirit event sounds like a big pep rally, but will actually be a new party type that occurs at the common area venue. Click on your sim to choose "Wear school colors", which automatically puts on a new facepaint and a preset outfit. Your sim gets a School Pride buff.
    - Dorms will function like apartments but are locked to Britechester.
    - Explicitly mentioned interactions, like juice pong/high five/juggle a soccer ball, will be the only new major interactions.

I would be happy to be wrong about any of these.

Gosh this is depressing but I'm in total agreement. Depsite being a huge fan of the Sims last year, I've found 2019 has been a bit of a dud year for the Sims. Can I also add....
    - Despite not being editable without cheats. The Common Areas/Classrooms will be terribly built and empty looking.
    - Despite looking impressive in the trailers. The NPCs on the lots will be pudding faced and randomly dressed and the decently made trailer Sims will be uploaded to the gallery in early 2020 after the hype of the EP is over.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I thought sims would be late teens when going to Uni... are they Young adults? Hm, then i might not get this pack. in my game sims become YA when turning 29 years old. It feels a bit weird sending them off to Uni that age... If I turn then YA earlier, they will hardly be Teens at all... hm... I'll stop thinking too much...

A teen is actually from 10-19 in your ten-something years and in your 20s you start a YA life. It would make sense like that. I hope teens can also join an uni and do exam for it, cause there are many people starting uni at age 17 :)
    I understand its hard when u have set your game for a different age setting though.
    YA's came first in S2. When you sent your TEEN off to college, they became YA's automatically.

Some are disappointed that there are no BIG things coming in Uni, but I'd rather have two completely separate colleges to pick from similar to S2's three college choices. BIG things can come in other packs, not this one.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I’m going to need details in the teacher career. I hope it’s an active career but no details on that yet. Last time I tried to play in TS2 as a teacher, my teacher had a son and she couldn’t go to work because her son started school after she started work, and the game wouldn’t let her leave him alone for an hour😂😂😂 she ended up quitting after 2 Days.
    Probably going to need logic and charisma for the career so I’ll be preparing my sim for that

😂😂😂 that's funny! I'm really hoping teaching and attending classes are not rabbit holes either! I just want it to be optional. But yeah always wanted to try teaching.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    I don't need or want an active teaching career. The rabbit hole suits the need just fine for me. What I would like, however, is an option for home schooling your own kids at home and not have them taken away by the Kid Cops.

I would like to be a college professor even if it was a rabbit hole. I could still schedule lectures and private tutoring sessions and meet with students to guide them or develop a romance with a student (it happens). I have an idea for a sim that has grey hair (bald on top) and a grey beard wearing a jacket with those elbow patches and a set of those small professor glasses, sitting in the school library reading up on the classics between classes.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm kind of baffled at the cries for an active teacher career. What exactly would there be to do besides paperwork and watching your sim stand in front of a group of kids/teens and talk to them? That sounds so boring.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    YA's came first in S2. When you sent your TEEN off to college, they became YA's automatically.

Some are disappointed that there are no BIG things coming in Uni, but I'd rather have two completely separate colleges to pick from similar to S2's three college choices. BIG things can come in other packs, not this one.

Then, in that case, this one should be discounted upon release.

But, seriously, we just had Island Living which terribly lacked in gameplay (didn’t buy that and have zero plans to). How many “small” expansion packs do we need until we get one with some actual replayability and fun gameplay?

As much as the thought of actual roommates and a real dorm system like TS2 excites me, the fact they’re advertising clothing and a mini fridge as a whole segment of the description is a bit laughable.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

But, seriously, we just had Island Living which terribly lacked in gameplay (didn’t buy that and have zero plans to). How many “small” expansion packs do we need until we get one with some actual replayability and fun gameplay?

As much as the thought of actual roommates and a real dorm system like TS2 excites me, the fact they’re advertising clothing and a mini fridge as a whole segment of the description is a bit laughable.

If that wanted BIG thing would be the only fun game play in the pack, wouldn't you rather it came in it's own smaller, more affordable pack so you wouldn't be forced to buy a bigger pack full of boring game play to get it?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

If that wanted BIG thing would be the only fun game play in the pack, wouldn't you rather it came in it's own smaller, more affordable pack so you wouldn't be forced to buy a bigger pack full of boring game play to get it?

No, I'd rather have full, fleshed out themes in expansion packs every 6 months with stuff packs in between rather than the convoluted model that is TS4.