Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Umm Nobody Told Us This

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
    Like everyone else, I haven't seen any NPC sims using magic outside of the magic realm, just brooms (particularly Geoffrey Landgraab despite me turning him back into a human and selling his inventory...)
    IMG-6587.gif
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I haven't played enough to find out either way. But I hope they don't do that because the only reason I bought ROM was because they said it would be confined to the magic realm.
    The other reason I bought it was because of the new items.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Sounds like a bug or this guy was such a realistic player to point having his own mage able to cast magic outside of realm ticked him off. which sounds like he's such a realist fanatic I can't see what the hell he was doing even reviewing a pure fantasy pack
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I haven't actually messed around with the gameplay of RoM (just CAS and Build/Buy), so I'm not sure what magic it was exactly, but there was a spellcaster doing magic at a gym in Windenburg when I played yesterday. Luckily, I have MCCC so I removed the spellcaster traits immediately, but still.

I haven't seen any dueling, though.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Funny how everyone running into illicit magic use out of the Realm has Mods to address it. Almost as though there were possibly more than a casual correlation there... I have seen brooms used. I have had my own Sim use some magic out in the world, but spontaneous dueling, casting, practicing etc. has only occurred in the Realm, as intended.

I suggest that those for whom the game is misbehaving look to their mod folders or CC collection. Things can interfere in unanticipated ways, that don't always seem "broken" on the surface.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    This review was so lame. This point doesn't make any sense since other sims don't use magic outside the realm. He was basically complaining that his own sims was doing it because HE made him do it.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ok wait.. do we even have an option to stop magical creatures roaming around at all?? I mean, we do not get a lot of stuff with the reason that it would disturb the balance between the Yay and Nay bases, but then when its about magic or occults, realistic players always get disturbed by them either showing up at your door step to suck your blood or witches flying on love festivals and stealing your man.
    Just let me have the Pack's stuff, but no magical creatures pls.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Sounds like a bug or this guy was such a realistic player to point having his own mage able to cast magic outside of realm ticked him off. which sounds like he's such a realist fanatic I can't see what the hell he was doing even reviewing a pure fantasy pack

Yeah, this is what it sounds like.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    No autonomous magic in my game either. In fact, I have a teen acolyte in a family of muggles. She only performs magic, brews potions and studies and practices magic in the magic realm.

I have 2 other mages who live in Glimmerbrook, but I haven't seen any magic in GB without me directing it.

Other households in my rotation are non magic and go about their lives without any magic at all, wherever they go...none.

Maybe LGR has discovered a bug, but I don't think I'd have uninstalled the pack though. But then again, I absolute love the occult. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    So, at this point, one has to wonder if this was a mistake on the part of the content creator, or a falsehood deliberately presented as truth.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited September 2019
    I highly doubt he set out to mislead people.
    I haven’t saw spell casters cast spells outside of the realm but plenty of them called my sim for a duel. He reviewed the sims pack because people always hound him too and I think he does want the sims to be better as we all do. Also worth remembering he had been quite postive about the game since cats and dogs. I know game changers who call the game dlc trash and they don’t get slaughtered but when LGR does it, who isn’t a game changer, people have a problem.

I doubt LGR plays with mods, I don’t think he plays the game long enough to bother installing it. I interpreted LGR’s issue as the fact that everyone can do magic because that is true- any age appropriate sim can travel to the realm and learn magic autonomously and the player has no control. I suspect that’s what he meant. But to be honest I see this as a thinly veiled attempt at bashing LGR, nothing more.

After all, where is the threads bashing game changers when they make mistakes about the game?

Edit to add: Lots of game changers, who get this content for free; don’t like occult’s and supernaturals. Should they have turned down their free code and rejected their channel views based on the fact they don’t like supernaturals? Of course not.
    So I can’t see the issue with a guy who buys the pack with his own money and making a review on it. That fact alone makes him more unbiased then anyone getting it for free.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited September 2019
    Okay, I don't think LGR deliberately misled people. I think he misunderstood the restrictions on NPC's using Magic outside of the Realm of Magic - they'll use magic in response to a challenge, or if they challenge you and you accept. But they won't use magic - beyond brooms - autonomously. Your sim either initiating or accepting a duel is not autonomous magic on their part. Your sim acted, they're reacting (even if technically your sim is reacting to their challenge. Presumably because your sim has been a jerk and been using mischief and untamed magic wantonly on other sims... so they're still reacting to how your sim has been behaving.)

Also, and let me bold this

If you don't go to the Realm of Magic at all you won't see any magic in your games.

I say this with more confidence as I started a fresh game today. Played for almost a sim week. Saw several sims from the Realm of Magic walking around San Myshuno. They did zero magic. None. Didn't even mount a broom.

So if you haven't been to the Realm of Magic and you see sims doing magic, it's a bug or mod interference.

Edit to add:
    I know that there has also been some concern about premades becoming spellcasters. In this game where I didn't touch the Realm of Magic, the only spellcasters are the premade spellcasters. I just went through all the households to verify this. I found one townie vampire, but no spellcasters beyond those I expected to find.

Again, if you don't go to the Realm of Magic, magic should not invade your game.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    @MidnightAura I have participated in this thread but only to correct the misconception that magic will occur autonomously outside the realm. I know there are a few posts critical of LGR but the majority are responding to the OPs original question.

I , for one, love LGR and like his style. He presents what is in the packs and what it does and leaves you to make up your mind as to the value for you and your style I watch him to make my purchasing decisions. He swung me to a yes for Moschino.

I think his statement was misinterpreted and as was said above he was complaining that you can choose to do magic any where rather than that NPCs do. However it was ambiguous enough that those without the pack might be worried and it helps to hesr from those of us who own it.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I own it and magic pretty (annoyingly) contained to the realm unless you have a mage
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I honestly think LGR has a conflicted mod. I watched the video and it shows his sim, Duke Nukem dueling magic at the Oasis Springs park...I'm pretty sure that was out of bounds of where magic was supposed to be limited to.

I enjoy LGR's reviews and don't mind when I disagree with him, doesn't make him wrong and me right. Plus I get the drift he's not that into occults as he felt he had to uninstall the pack to keep his realistic games apart. I don't blame him, if magic runs wild in my game, I wouldn't want that either. After this thread, lots of people do not have this problem, maybe he has a mod that is conflicting.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I honestly think LGR has a conflicted mod. I watched the video and it shows his sim, Duke Nukem dueling magic at the Oasis Springs park...I'm pretty sure that was out of bounds of where magic was supposed to be limited to.

I enjoy LGR's reviews and don't mind when I disagree with him, doesn't make him wrong and me right. Plus I get the drift he's not that into occults as he felt he had to uninstall the pack to keep his realistic games apart. I don't blame him, if magic runs wild in my game, I wouldn't want that either. After this thread, lots of people do not have this problem, maybe he has a mod that is conflicting.

Nope. His sim was a spellcaster. A player controlled spellcaster can do magic anywhere. Mine was just popping around Selvadorada last night. They can also challenge another sim spellcaster to a duel anywhere. The only thing that's caught me off guard is people's sims being challenged to duel by an NPC and that duel happening outside the realm. It still needs your sim to accept the duel for there to be magic outside the realm. (And there's a weird glitch with duels not happening on the dueling grounds, so it may be related to that.)
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I watched the review, and that's not what he said AT ALL. He simply stated that the use of magic in the pack is of the nature that it completely changes the rules of the game, and thus doesn't fit LGR's play style - that's it. People are reading WAY too much into it, especially if you accuse him of lying or misleading people, and you haven't even SEEN the review. The OP has posted before he doesn't like LGR's videos at all, so maybe watch the video for yourself first before judging what LGR said or didn't say. Just saying, I didn't interpret what LGR said in the video the way the OP did at all.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I watched the review, and that's not what he said AT ALL. He simply stated that the use of magic in the pack is of the nature that it completely changes the rules of the game, and thus doesn't fit LGR's play style - that's it. People are reading WAY too much into it, especially if you accuse him of lying or misleading people, and you haven't even SEEN the review. The OP has posted before he doesn't like LGR's videos at all, so maybe watch the video for yourself first before judging what LGR said or didn't say. Just saying, I didn't interpret what LGR said in the video the way the OP did at all.

Maybe you missed it, but he specifically said "Spellcasters aren't limited to the Realm of Magic itself, spawning all around the world, performing supernatural nonsense in public, hosting duels in the middle of downtown, and blasting children in the head as collateral damage" (yes, I went back to watch that part of the video for a direct quote).

The way he said it is most definitely misleading as it sounds like he's saying NPC Sims do all that. When you watch the video, it's his Sim performing a spell and his Sim involved in a duel (which, yes, a played Sim can get spontaneously invited to but has the option to decline). For anyone who doesn't have the pack yet, it can definitely seem like with the pack, you'll have Spellcasters running rampant around the world without the player having any control over them, which is simply not true.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2019
    I watched it too... he said what @darrenfroggy pointed out near the end of the video when they were in Oasis Springs park. Glad you went back to watch for a quote by the way :).. I didn't want to bother.
    I don't feel LGR set out to deliberately mislead but for those watching that are realistic players that sometimes might want to play a spellcaster in some saves it is misleading.
    You can have save games where magic will never, ever be seen if you chose to not go to the realm on your sims or play a spellcaster in that save. If you make a spellcaster that doesn't go to the realm... even less extras will happen because the game will not pull in nonplayed sims to fill up the realm.
    If you make a spellcaster that goes to the realm it's mostly quiet outside of the realm except for broom riding.. unless you chose to use your magic in the world or make a club that uses magic (although that's pure chaos).

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    @darrenfroggy Ah, I can see why people would interpret it that way even though I didn't. I assumed he was talking about all kinds of sims becoming spellcasters and the rest was just him being funny. I didn't interpret it as sims actually did spells autonomously, but maybe that's just me. If that's what he meant, I don't see why he would lie, so maybe it's a bug. He seemed to have been playing the pack for a while, so maybe it's something that happens in certain conditions.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Aine I don't think he lied or set out to lie, per se. What he says can be interpreted simply as "if you play a Spellcaster, they'll be able to do magical things everywhere, not just in the Realm" which I believe was LGR's aim. He just... missed it.

As you said, he seems to have played the pack for quite a bit so if there were occasions of NPC magic, he'd have used that since he likely recorded more footage than we saw in his video, but it's nothing but his own SIm.
    Which leads me to think that he just didn't consider how that particular description comes across to people who don't have the pack and are looking for insight on how much it affects regular realistic gameplay. From LGR's review, I can see people walking away from the pack assuming that Spellcasters will be everywhere the same way Vampires were (I believe that's been turned down quite a bit since the pack's release). Out of the whole review, that one bit was what made me go "dude, no". I did like it otherwise and I have no issues with LGR in general. :)
  • Options
    @darrenfroggy Yes, it's entirely possible he just missed that part. I would personally never be able to make these kinds of videos - they'd be a mess for sure. :D
    Allons-y!

• Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I've been playing in my oldest mainsave and I have yet to see any npcs using magic outside of the realm.
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    As much as I like LGR he a bit 🧂 he plays with too much realism the I think what made him upset was his spellcasters was using magic throwing him off his realism. I have not seen any magic outside of realm of magic.
  • Options
    Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't see any magic outside realm of magic that are not under my control sims, duel often happen in realm of magic and might happen outside of realm of magic if your sims under control is spellcaster, but I don't play that long, I did play lot of magic outside of realm of magic because I think realm of magic look like plain, not magical place, at least headquater, but other place in realm of magic is ok, is why I spent lot of magic outside of realm of magic.