Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What if we could disable some worlds.

What if your sim family lived in Newcrest and could only visit Magnolia Promenade, San Myshuno and Del Sol Valley? Or in a different save your sims lived in Strangerville, could only visit Oasis Springs and Judith Ward NEVER showed up at the bar? What if your sims lived in Sulani and COULDN'T leave the islands?

If there were some way to disable some neighborhoods for a save, we could create more cohesive stories in which some worlds were connected, some weren't. Your sims couldn't live in Oasis Springs and go to San Myshuno for breakfast. Don Lothario and Eliza Pancakes wouldn't be working the food booths everywhere.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Bravo!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Why not just only travel to the worlds you want to see and delete the townies you don't want to see? Disabling an entire world seems extreme, but that's just me.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Why not just only travel to the worlds you want to see and delete the townies you don't want to see? Disabling an entire world seems extreme, but that's just me.

That's a way easier solution.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member

Well, I didn't think of this because of the townies. I like the idea of living in Sulani and not having the option going to karaoke in San Myshuno on a Tuesday night. Not getting invited to the Geekcon fest is a bonus.
  • Options
    And the townie issue is probably more complex than the world issue. The worlds could just get grayed out in the travel screen. I don't know what disconnecting populations from worlds would involve. Although, I don't really remember seeing the Goths show up in Sulani. Maybe this feature is already hidden in the game.

Anyway, gotta go to work now.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Im on board with this, as I imagine Willow Creek, Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest as being areas in the same city, but very far from places like Oasis Springs and Del Sol. Seeing a Sim from Windenburg in Strangerville is weird too, but I'm not surprised to see vampires from Forgotten Hollow in Windenburg. I would like to control which worlds are "connected" and where the Sims from there can show up
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I do not want this in my game. I change my mind continuously throughout any game when I get a new idea or invite to a festival. What about the objects that come with those worlds? Do they disappear too?

Try and get some interest from a modder perhaps?
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I was thinking about this the other day. IIt's not something I desperately want but I could see myself using it occasionally. It might help with NPC spawning too.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I love this idea! I think it would open up a lot of new challenges to the game. While you can just choose to not go to other worlds, I think not even having the option is really interesting. For a challenge I invented (but have not posted anywhere), the player has to be confined to one world for a whole generation, so not having other worlds enabled makes it feel more logical that they can't leave. It would be sweet for the sims team to add world or pack disabling in the options menu! It would make it easier for build challenges as well.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    What if your sim family lived in Newcrest and could only visit Magnolia Promenade, San Myshuno and Del Sol Valley? Or in a different save your sims lived in Strangerville, could only visit Oasis Springs and Judith Ward NEVER showed up at the bar? What if your sims lived in Sulani and COULDN'T leave the islands?

If there were some way to disable some neighborhoods for a save, we could create more cohesive stories in which some worlds were connected, some weren't. Your sims couldn't live in Oasis Springs and go to San Myshuno for breakfast. Don Lothario and Eliza Pancakes wouldn't be working the food booths everywhere.

What do you think?

You mean you want the worlds like they were in TS2 and TS3?

I'd rather they be open in TS4, it's how the game was initially designed and wouldn't want it to be changed now especially since that would constrict the number of lots even more.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    This was only meant to be optional. If you don't want restrictions, you wouldn't use the feature.
    Simburian wrote: »
    What about the objects that come with those worlds? Do they disappear too?
    They wouldn't disappear. All the objects would be available

Sigzy05 wrote: »

I'd rather they be open in TS4, it's how the game was initially designed and wouldn't want it to be changed now especially since that would constrict the number of lots even more.

Maybe since I play different saves and rarely have more than 2 or 3 sims/families in each save I don't run out of vacant lots (and I evict and bulldoze a fair amount).

But:

1) It would be optional

2) I guess I thought this might be the nearest we'll ever see to a Create-A-World. We can't edit the worlds or rename them (talk about how the game was initially designed!), but we could at least pretend Forgotten Hollow is a village near Windenburg and not a suburb of Sulani.

remember: OPTIONAL

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2019
    there should be

Options

- Enable/Disable Random Townie Generation
    - Enable/Disable Vampires
    - Enable/Disable Aliens
    - Enable/Disable Strays
    and so on

For Phone

- Disable calls from other sims
    - Disable Phone in general
    - Disable Festival invites
    - Disable Club invites
    - Disable phone invites in general

Worlds or neighborhoods could have traits

those could include
    - no outsiders trait that would disable sims from other worlds/neighborhoods
    - mean spirited neighborhood trait
    - friendly neighborhood trait
    - weather preference ''this neighborhood is always sunny'' or ''this neighborhood is always stormy'' or whatever
    - season preference so it could be always winter or always summer in certain neighborhood if u wanted it so
    - silent neighborhood/world traits for no random sims walking around
    - no occults or ''only vampires'' etc traits

all these traits could be assigned or removed by player however they like

also it should be possible to rent out properties in worlds that are not vacation destinations if you set lot that type somewhere else

what comes to amount of lots id like to have lot types that allow more ''lot types'' on one lot
    like you could easily fit bowling, pool, gym, cafe etc. on one lot but the lot is only able to recognize one of them
    so I think there should be possibility to choose more lot types for one lot like 3 at least?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

What do you think?

I would like to point out the worlds in sims 2 and 3 were very different. In sims 2 you had to add a new sub neighbourhood manually by clicking the + icon for the appropriate pack. So if you wanted to use the shopping district from one pack but not the downtown from another you could. The players were in control of which sub neighbourhood to add with it's townies. And they were linked so sims could travel and move between them freely. In sims 3 each new world stood completely on its own. you just had to start a new save and use the world of a pack to enjoy the pack completely. Only the university and holiday destinations in sims 3 worked like sims 2.

I like the open world in sims 4 but it would help if they weren't added automatically to every save but only by the players choice like in the sims 2 days.
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    I think it is super weird that a sim can live in Brindleton Bay (Atlantic coast, USA) and just casually get lunch in Del Sol Valley (Los Angeles) or San Myshuno (San Fransico/Tokyo), but they in no way are allowed to visit Granite Falls (Pacific Northwest). I mean, that would just be ridiculous.

Being able to toggle a rentals only world into a normal world would be cool. Similar to toggling OFF certain worlds, we could toggle rental worlds to be residential.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    I think it is super weird that a sim can live in Brindleton Bay (Atlantic coast, USA) and just casually get lunch in Del Sol Valley (Los Angeles) or San Myshuno (San Fransico/Tokyo), but they in no way are allowed to visit Granite Falls (Pacific Northwest). I mean, that would just be ridiculous.

Being able to toggle a rentals only world into a normal world would be cool. Similar to toggling OFF certain worlds, we could toggle rental worlds to be residential.

yeah it be nice especially cuz there is players from all around world and what seems "vacation" to americans might just seem home to some players rather than the usual residential worlds
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I have removed most of the stuff in San Myshuno for my Victorian save, because I don't want sims going there. If it were possible, I would certainly switch it off/remove it for the save though.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    MazatlMazatl Posts: 58 Member
    Wasn't the big excuse for the new worlds being smaller that it's a problem for the game to keep track of so many of them? This could be a solution, I've thought about this too and I'd go for it.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It's easier to delete Sims you don't want in the 'In world', 'Not in world' folders for me. I want all the lots to build on.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    It's easier to delete Sims you don't want in the 'In world', 'Not in world' folders for me. I want all the lots to build on.

I don't want to delete Caleb Vatore, I just don't want him showing up as the bartender in Strangerville. And really, my original thought was to have the option to group certain worlds together for the sake of my own imaginary stories. My sims don't spend a lot of time at their home lots, but sometimes the freedom to go from Oasis Springs to Sulani to San Myshuno all in a day can break the immersion for me. I suppose that pretending things can't happen shouldn't be such a hardship for me, considering a person must pretend in order to play any game.

• Options
    It seems like this idea might become popular. Such as cutting off Glimmerbrook from Willow Creek.
  • Options
    codylynnclarkcodylynnclark Posts: 11 New Member
    > @CorkysPetals said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I don't want to delete Caleb Vatore, I just don't want him showing up as the bartender in Strangerville. And really, my original thought was to have the option to group certain worlds together for the sake of my own imaginary stories. My sims don't spend a lot of time at their home lots, but sometimes the freedom to go from Oasis Springs to Sulani to San Myshuno all in a day can break the immersion for me. I suppose that pretending things can't happen shouldn't be such a hardship for me, considering a person must pretend in order to play any game.

I agree with this completely. I did delete Vlad from my main save to cut down on the supernatural aspect, but I wouldn't want to delete, say, all of Sulani just to stop them from wandering through Brindleton Bay in shorts during the winter.

I've also been automatically rejecting invites to restaurants in other worlds because it breaks immersion, so I would be interested in your idea of just blocking certain worlds as well. I have two perfectly good seafood restaurants in Brindleton, we don't need to fly all the way to Sulani, guys.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm all for curtailing the number of non-natives that keep appearing in every world. An occasional visitor isn't a problem, but I hate when I try to tell a story that a Sim is visiting somewhere else then their father shows up, the neighbor, their school pals. Did all of San Myshuno decide to go on the trip, too?

That kind of thing certainly breaks the immersion.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I like this idea and I would like to expand on it and say that we should be able to add and rename other worlds. That was one of my favorite features in Sims 2, being able to make my world how I wanted it. I'd have a few San Myshuno linked together because only having one city is kind of bs. It's the only place you can have apartments. They brought in a whole new way of living and still haven't given us either the option to build our own or a new city with apartment living yet. The festivals would need the option to be turned off in that situation. I could imagine having saves with nothing BUT San Myshuno cities linked. A save with 4 Windenburg's linked. It would give you the opportunity to create a world that makes sense together. Going from the city to the desert is weird and places like Strangerville just don't belong in some of my saves.

I would welcome this feature but I'd love to see it expanded in the way of the Sims 2 and shape my towns, cities etc how I want them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    How about we just get all control of all townies? Let us build the townies and Maxis no longer generate any type of townies. Instead of taking away options to all worlds, why not let players (some day) build their own townies and who can travel where. This would be a themed world, where you control it all, who comes, who goes, and what they look like, how they dress and who they are (traits included etc.) Yes, players would have a lot of work, but I would rather do all that than the game generate one townie, anywhere. Your themes could expand all worlds, and you control who gets a phone, who doesn't, who does anything at all. Themed play is my answer.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    If it's just not wanting townies from other worlds showing up in your town, neighborhood traits (like lot traits) may be the easiest solution. You could than choose what kind of sim show up and even how they behave.
    For example, there could be an 'only sims living in world' or 'only sims living in neighborhood' trait, a 'only supernatural' or 'no supernaturals' trait, a 'stray' trait for cats and dogs, and a 'tough neighborhood' or 'friendly neighborhood' where sims are more likely to be mean or nice to each other. It would give us a little more control over the sims in our neighborhoods and may be a bit easier to add over blocking off whole worlds.