Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is it true that toddlers and kids have been left out for ROM?

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I wish that occult children and toddlers could do something. It would be more rewarding with occult families if they could do that. Building a strong magical legacy will be fun at least 🙂
  • Options
    RealTeacherPlaysRealTeacherPlays Posts: 40 Member
    Maybe magical children could have a spell that helps them with homework
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    A toddler bed would have been nice.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I wish that occult children and toddlers could do something. It would be more rewarding with occult families if they could do that. Building a strong magical legacy will be fun at least 🙂
    me to
    I assumed they would do something for kids,like the sims 1.
    agree
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I have to admit that I am disappointed that kids cannot do any magic. In my game, I have not had a child yet so it is quite hard to test, but that is actually disheartening. I mean, I get it, a child being a master mage makes very little sense (depending on the story, of course, if you do them) but them not being able to cast magic at all is just stupid.

For a game where they have this emotions system, having accidental magic could have been amazing. Is the child angry? Things may break. Is the child scared? They may summon a teddy bear. Are they hungry? A plate of animal crackers may appear.

As someone who plays on long lifespans, it seems like for a majority of my kids’ lives, they are locked out of magic. Where is the parents teaching them to control their magic? Practice duelling with them, teach them spells, all the fun and family stuff? I am not exactly a family player, but this is quite weird.

Children could have learned unique spells that stick with them through life.

- Summon toy
    - Vanish homework
    - Ward against the monster under the bed
    - Morph food into snacks

Just four simple ones that came to mind that would not be too strong or breaking. Even then, in order to balance kids, just lock them at adept rank (the second one) until they become teens.

This is the reason why I was afraid of magic being a game pack. I knew features would be cut or done poorly so that it fits in that theme. Would have preferred an expansion pack based around magic.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't understand this at all. It's not like witchcraft in this game is something totally dark and mature and inappropriate for kids - keep the love spells away from them and everything should be fine. They can't even drink potions made by adults, and while they can summon familiars if they have any in their inventory, they can't make cats or dogs their familiars.

The latter annoys me especially because I made this psychotic little girl with her dog that looks like a living voodoo doll a long time ago, and when I learned that kids could have familiars, and that cats and dogs can be familiars too, I thought okay, now she can at least have that creepy dog follow her everywhere and make it attack people she doesn't like (because kids can actually learn the Pet Training skill). But nope...

Now I'm waiting for mods to fix this.

Edit: A teleportation spell or having them fly on a broom (which I haven't actually tried yet - maybe they can do that?) would also be great for kids, because they walk sooo slowly, even with maxed Motor skill, that taking them anywhere is a pain.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't understand this at all. It's not like witchcraft in this game is something totally dark and mature and inappropriate for kids

Yes but that isn't the reason anyway. It's very simple actually - and I know I sound like a "hater" or whatever but it's true.
    Without including anything for kids they save money from art and development and risk very little in return. They don't need to put in the resources for it. See how everyone is so infatuated with the magic pack that most of them don't care? That has paid off on their end.

EA for the past years have settled for the bare minimum for the last few packs - they aren't the type of studio to go the extra mile.

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    You're absolutely right, @jooxis, but that's exactly why I don't understand it: Where is that extra mile? It's not like they had to come up with an entire new arsenal of kid-appropriate spells or potions because almost every magic adults can do is already appropriate for kids, and the reason for that is that the entire game is pretty childish to begin with. Okay, maybe the cauldron is too big for them to use properly without creating either a smaller version or new animations, so whatever, no alchemy for kids then, and if they didn't want to make clothes and hair for them, there's going to be CC for that. (Not saying it's okay to leave such things to modders, but it's also not a reason to completely forego magical children.) They could still learn some basic spells.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Where is that extra mile?

My guess is the animations. Kids have a different body type and require their own animations (wand duels, cauldron, etc. whatever). This is very likely the reason why they left out child mermaids from Island Living as well.
  • Options
    FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    This is very frustrating. Especially, that there are no new CAS items for toddlers and kids. I think they could have easily added a few clothes...
    And they finally should have given us the ability to use all hair colours for kids and toddlers. I am still annoyed, that this is not possible in the game. :(
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    I already enabled kids to do magic and use the cauldron lol. And enabled toddlers to teleport, not sure it worked, will check. Kids stretch though, of course.

sXFl0OO.png

LCAAuZy.png

c9MzeVd.png

CmIM7Tc.png

Sometimes when using the cauldron they won't stretch

mpiu2fx.png
  • Options
    Helping out with potions

nl6JEDu.png

mSzQpiM.png

Would be cute if kids had a stool and climbed on it while using the cauldron

PykbLfn.png

J0I72ss.png
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,023 Member
    Honestly, they could have just made one animation of the kids waving their hands to cast a spell. I'd begrudgingly accept cut corners if I could get the rest of the shape.

I'd be super happy for kids to get Inferniate. If being a firestarter is good enough for Drew Barrymore, it's good enough for them. Plus it would provide so much story potential.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    I already enabled kids to do magic and use the cauldron lol. And enabled toddlers to teleport, not sure it worked, will check. Kids stretch though, of course.

sXFl0OO.png

LCAAuZy.png

c9MzeVd.png

CmIM7Tc.png

mpiu2fx.png

are you willing too share the mod?
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member

sXFl0OO.png

LCAAuZy.png

c9MzeVd.png

CmIM7Tc.png

mpiu2fx.png

Oh my God. Please share this! Please!
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,434 Member
    Freechheit wrote: »
    This is very frustrating. Especially, that there are no new CAS items for toddlers and kids. I think they could have easily added a few clothes...
    And they finally should have given us the ability to use all hair colours for kids and toddlers. I am still annoyed, that this is not possible in the game. :(

I feel exactly the same. I knew we would not get magic for kids in advance but the absence of any cas item is just disheartening. Don't they care about children and toddlers at all. There have been GP's before which were only gameplay for teens and above (Vampires, Jungle Adventure and Strangerville) but they all had at least something for younger sims to wear.
    And about the unnatural hair colours for children, I totally agree. It's the only cc I have.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Okay, I know it doesn't exactly help, but I've had my inital mage give birth and then aged the kid up to child (because this is just a test run, I'm less concerned with the kid getting the good toddler trait, or even having the various gifted traits when I age him up to teen.)

I just got done with him in CAS and while he may not be able to cast spells, he *does* have a spellcasting idle animation in CAS. Maybe someone else mentioned it in this thread, but I don't remember seeing it.

I'm going to call it for the night (and possibly the weekend, I have a TTRPG session to write) but if I discover more, I'll say so.
  • Options
    ''are you willing too share the mod? ''

Sure I can upload, if you won't mind the stretching lol. I haven't figured out how to add the Perks chart to them and they can ask for a duel, the options show but nothing happens afterwards. I'll see if there's a way to add Child to those interaction tunings.

Also, witch kids have their own CAS idle.

bpVavcW.png
  • Options
    Nice thanks for sharing will check back if you share it is it ok too for me too share it on mts once you upload it
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Freechheit wrote: »

I feel exactly the same. I knew we would not get magic for kids in advance but the absence of any cas item is just disheartening. Don't they care about children and toddlers at all. There have been GP's before which were only gameplay for teens and above (Vampires, Jungle Adventure and Strangerville) but they all had at least something for younger sims to wear.
    And about the unnatural hair colours for children, I totally agree. It's the only cc I have.

Yes! All the hair colors for children. That is how I started with CC.

I play rotational with a lot of alien families. My aliens have the fun hair colors as teens, which means bald toddlers and children because they couldn’t have any hair. I got so so tired off it that I started using CC just so that my toddlers would be cute again.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    ''are you willing too share the mod? ''

Sure I can upload, if you won't mind the stretching lol. I haven't figured out how to add the Perks chart to them and they can ask for a duel, the options show but nothing happens afterwards. I'll see if there's a way to add Child to those interaction tunings.

Also, witch kids have their own CAS idle.

bpVavcW.png

You are the MVP of this pack.
  • Options
    bandit5 wrote: »

sXFl0OO.png

LCAAuZy.png

c9MzeVd.png

CmIM7Tc.png

mpiu2fx.png

they can keep the mod :#

its bad enough seeing toddlers with extra long arms holding an umbrella. that's without mods

• Options
    some of us would like the mod
    marcel21 wrote: »

sXFl0OO.png

LCAAuZy.png

c9MzeVd.png

CmIM7Tc.png

mpiu2fx.png

its bad enough seeing toddlers with extra long arms holding an umbrella. that's without mods

• Options
    some of us would like the mod
    marcel21 wrote: »

sXFl0OO.png

LCAAuZy.png

c9MzeVd.png

CmIM7Tc.png

mpiu2fx.png

I meant it for myself. they can keep it cos I don't want it. I never said anybody else Wouldn't want to use it. Not a fan of seeing young sims with extra long arms and legs.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, though TS3 children looked way worse with stretched animations lol. I can convert the animations on Blender, it's simple, just copy the adult sim keyframes and paste it to kids but there are way too many animation clips to convert. Another person would have to help, if they're willing.

I really don't know how to make the Perks chart visible for kids. This is how it looks.

JUYyf5t.png