Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is it true that toddlers and kids have been left out for ROM?

Comments

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    It doesn't even look so bad. Is that a witch/vampire hybrid, though? :o
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    They have created this style that helps you think magic or spellcasters and can decorate every room in your house. But no toddler's bed. We need more kid and toddler furniture. Why would you create a "look" for the houses of spellcasters and not add a simple toddler bed. Okay, no magic for kids and toddlers but a the very least give us a couple of pieces of furniture to carry the storyline through to the whole family.
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited September 2019
    @GrumpyGlowfish Yes, I think they don't look that bad either. And no it's not a witch/vampire hybrid, it was suppose to be a child witch only. I've no idea why that buff is showing. :/

Oh wait, it could be because I created them as Vampires first in another save. Then started a new game with them as Witches.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    You know, with the animation in CAS I wonder if they originally had plans to make the kids able to do some magic, but ran out of time. 🤔

Because the animation in CAS is marvelously fluid and wonderful.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2019
    I was disappointed the children couldn't cast a few spells as well, but I do like the magical bloodline that they added. Right now I only have the "weak bloodline" for my sim children. I'm assuming it's because mom was a low level spell caster and dad is a vampire, so I'll need to work on that.

As it stands now, I have my sim children focusing on maxing their children skills and moving forward to the adult skills they can master. They also hunt collectibles to bolster their inventory of alchemy ingredients. Finding the right My Sims can be especially time consuming if RNG doesn't like you, not to mention fishing takes awhile to level and gathering crystals in the environment can be a bit time consuming too. I want them to have just enough of the correct materials that they'll be good to start training once they're able to use their casting abilities, and then they'll be able to duplicate them via spellcraft. I need a decent pool to start with, though, because spell failure burns up the original item, so playing it safe rather than sorry. If I was content to allow my first generation spell caster die, then they could just inherit mom's stuff, but I think I'm going to keep her around as an elder forever with the potion of immortality. So her kids need to gather their own ingredients! lol

Anyway, my point is, my spell caster bloodline children are not without things to do, so I'm not fussed enough to be angry that they can't cast spells, but I would have appreciated the option, even if it was just a handful of spells. I'd have appreciated 2 spells from each discipline, just to have a bit of fun. It does seem like a missed opportunity, but there is precedence for this kind of thing in the game already, so I can't say I'm shocked now or will be in the future, regarding how occult children are formatted. We had ghosts, aliens, vampires, and mermaids prior to spell casters, and none of those children were able to do what their adult counterparts could do, so the realist in me did not expect spell caster kids to be any different.

@Sofmc9 That mod is amazing and your screenshots are beautiful, thank you for sharing!
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    They have created this style that helps you think magic or spellcasters and can decorate every room in your house. But no toddler's bed. We need more kid and toddler furniture. Why would you create a "look" for the houses of spellcasters and not add a simple toddler bed. Okay, no magic for kids and toddlers but a the very least give us a couple of pieces of furniture to carry the storyline through to the whole family.

This does irritate me! There is only 1 toddler bed I like, and I am a bit tired of looking at it at this point. I honestly need to go download a few CC beds, because I know there are some maxis match ones out there. I just haven't had the time to go CC diving. It's a dangerous rabbit hole to fall into, too. ;) LOL
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    You know, with the animation in CAS I wonder if they originally had plans to make the kids able to do some magic, but ran out of time. 🤔

Because the animation in CAS is marvelously fluid and wonderful.

I would almost be satisfied with just that animation in game for spellcaster kids.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
    I know that the don't do occults for kids because having to remake every interaction on a small/lower level of sim can not only be time consuming, but money eating. So, I was pleasantly surprised when they at least got familiars.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    Yeah, though TS3 children looked way worse with stretched animations lol. I can convert the animations on Blender, it's simple, just copy the adult sim keyframes and paste it to kids but there are way too many animation clips to convert. Another person would have to help, if they're willing.

I really don't know how to make the Perks chart visible for kids. This is how it looks.

JUYyf5t.png

I don't even mind if they don't have perks. Just being able to use magic would be enough for me.
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    @Aquarius94 hahaa MVP lol. Ok, I'll upload the mod the way it is then. Maybe update it when someone helps converting the animations.

@Ceres_Meiriona Aww, thanks.
  • NiveazNiveaz Posts: 3 New Member
    I dont see why they just didnt give children a "practice" magic/wave wand for fun animation, they could have just used the sparkler animation from city living.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    That's really surprising.

Is it though?
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Niveaz wrote: »
    I dont see why they just didnt give children a "practice" magic/wave wand for fun animation, they could have just used the sparkler animation from city living.

Yeah, I had thought about Sending My children spell casters with their parents, to spend Winter Holidays, and parts of their summer vacation with their Spell caster Grandparents and basically have a magic filled vacation with them.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    @Aquarius94 hahaa MVP lol. Ok, I'll upload the mod the way it is then. Maybe update it when someone helps converting the animations.

@Ceres_Meiriona Aww, thanks.
    i making my own but what do i change for them cast as a child without having too make older first too learn the spells then back too child?
  • TistouTistou Posts: 72 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    Toddlers & kids can't do magic, so maybe they thought it wasn't needed?

It's so weird that they can't though! I mean, they should have some interaction with the magic world. In The Sims 1 they could play with fairies and get fairy dust that way, and then the adult sim could use it as an ingredient (the kid could too, but for The Sims 4, if they don't want them to do spell casting, maybe at least play with fairies and get ingredients from the magical world?)
    the child streches is why they not enabled it. They would have too make new animations for child sims so only with with mods can you do it.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

Your spellcaster could have done swishy magic and made sparkles and colors that a toddler could dance to.

Children could have had a practice-wand and just shot stars. Something.

Well, since children and toddlers are not really that occult then there isn’t much to do. Wish that there was not such a cut-off.
    sims 3 occults had child versions except for vampires and witches
    Zulf_12 wrote: »
    I made mod child sim can use magic, but they become tall :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN4R7TplM&t=2s

That's funny! :D
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It works for me! Stretching is just a magical effect so they feel larger than life when casting magic!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    It works for me! Stretching is just a magical effect so they feel larger than life when casting magic!

That's funny too. If the devs had done this, you'd be up in arms about it. This is why I don't use mods.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,354 Member
    Zulf_12 wrote: »
    I made mod child sim can use magic, but they become tall :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN4R7TplM&t=2s

And now the technical side of me is wondering how sims joint parameters are set up, that spellcasting animations apparently include z-translation on the legs as well as rotations for the arms ... (because in my experience, stretching is an effect of joint translations.) Maybe it has something to do with where the effect is placed...
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

That's funny too. If the devs had done this, you'd be up in arms about it. This is why I don't use mods.

I mean...the difference here is that the devs are professionals who are paid to to these things and would have the skillset, time, and resources to if this is something they were tasked with doing. It's hardly a fair comparison. Though, some modders are able to go so far above and beyond, they're often able to outshine the devs (bug fixes, meshes, the implementation of missing or incomplete features, etc.) with that in mind, it really is a shame that Sims mods still have this stigma surrounding them when a lot of them have saved this game for me.

Is the stretching ideal? No. But I can live with it since Maxis will likely never be bothered to do this, themselves. I'm just thankful it's nowhere near as hideous as the stretching in TS3.
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    Kids and toddlers are always left out with the exception of maybe a few items. Like always..
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    A tiddler would be a very neat and tidy toddler. To the thread point, it's too bad nothing was provided, especially since the game mechanics have it hereditary. A toddler might not do something magical on purpose, but if it's in the genes it will come out sooner or later. Children, on the other hand, are likely to do all sorts of things - if only out of curiosity after finding something. What can happen after that I leave to your collective imaginations and the hands of modders.