Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Glimmerbrook World Discussion

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Wonder what the backstory is for the Realm world. Maybe at one point in time it was connected to Glimmerbrook as one world and then was separated for some reason. Maybe a war between the townsfolk and the magical community.

I have a story in mind that Im using for my save that coincides with your idea. I like to think that centuries ago, spellcasters and sims (normal humans) lived together harmoniously and magic was a common sight. The magic realm was a separate world, only accessed by portals. Then all of a sudden, something happened to the spellcasters that made many lose their power around the same time an anti-magic movement was stirring up in the Sim community. Things had gotten so bad that the spellcasters decided that for the sake of their lineage, they could not dwell with normal sims anymore. Everyone who still had their magic packed up and returned to the realm. Those that didnt were forced to stay behind. All portals were destroyed by the Sages.

Now in our present time, a strange gate appeared in a town and drew in curious folks. The sims who felt a connection to the gate were actually descendants of spellcasters left behind after having thought to have lost their magic. It had actually lay dormant in their bloodline for centuries, and the reappearance of this portal was the start of their "awakening".

Yeah I feel like the Portal is Ancient land mark like Stonehenge.

I think The Realm of Magicwas once like Glimmerbrook a big beautiful forest and lakes, and life, essentially mirrored worlds of each other. I think some foolish spell caster cast a spell and ended causing a massive magical nuclear explosion and everyone fled through the portal and the explosion destroyed the portal.
    and now Someone has activated it and went home but left the portal open.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    SimsCommunity found the map in the game files

Coool :D Must go look :D
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    SimsCommunity found the map in the game files

Coool :D Must go look :D

Pic is posted above.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Just seen, thanks @catloverplayer - looks great :love:
  • Options
    I guess we ll see the lots in the Livestream Tomorrow.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    world-icon.png

In world Icon mean I'm dying to know what animation plays when you hover over it.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    I think I saw a 30 x 20 one of the Guru's mentioned today, I am getting up at 4am tomorrow morning to watch the LS, I hope I'm right on my timing otherwise I may be falling asleep at my desk tomorrow lol
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    so, thanks to the livestream we've now got lot sizes and such for glimmerbrook. that'll help with planning things out. quick and dirty recap taken from simscommunity:

4 Lots that are 30×20
    1 Lot that is 40×30
    1 Empty Venue
    1 Empty Home
    2 Households with Homes
    1 Bar Lot

i was hoping for a little more variety with the lot sizes, but this is close to what i expected. and, to me, is pretty much perfect. and, as i expected, the community lot is indeed a bar
    now i know i'll have 4 houses and replace the bar with a retail lot that's set up as a magic shop
  • Options
    kalaksed wrote: »
    so, thanks to the livestream we've now got lot sizes and such for glimmerbrook. that'll help with planning things out. quick and dirty recap taken from simscommunity:

4 Lots that are 30×20
    1 Lot that is 40×30
    1 Empty Venue
    1 Empty Home
    2 Households with Homes
    1 Bar Lot

i was hoping for a little more variety with the lot sizes, but this is close to what i expected. and, to me, is pretty much perfect. and, as i expected, the community lot is indeed a bar
    now i know i'll have 4 houses and replace the bar with a retail lot that's set up as a magic shop

I figured the venue would be a bar lot. So is magic shop a new venue type? I haven't seen the LS yet.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    no, there's no new venue type.
    that's why i said i'm going to use a retail lot, a sim of mine will run a store that focuses on selling 'magical items' including some of the selvadoradan artifacts, totems and treasures, alchemy and herbalism potions and ingredients, crystals, the new magic talisman collection items, geodes, a few of the gnomes, a suit of armor (that will be claimed to be enchanted) and basically anything else that she thinks she can get away with calling 'magical' or 'enchanted', whether it actually is or not
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »

4 Lots that are 30×20
    1 Lot that is 40×30
    1 Empty Venue
    1 Empty Home
    2 Households with Homes
    1 Bar Lot

I figured the venue would be a bar lot. So is magic shop a new venue type? I haven't seen the LS yet.

No, there is no new lot trait.

But you can create a Generic or retail or park lot (or whatever works to have SIms hanging out) and the shops from the magic town area can be found in the hidden items in Build/Buy. So you can essentially set up your own magic market.
    Or you can (with GTW) set up a retail shop there & have your Sim sell potions and such.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    The map looks great. Loving the bubble icon too.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I'll be honest, I don't understand why the cramped neighborhood in Del Sol Valley had 1 50x40 and 2 40x30, but a secluded forest without constructions only has 1 40x30 and 4 (four !) 30x20.

I feel like the lot size should have been switched. It doesn't really make sense to have room for a mansion downtown but only a small house in the forest. Am I the only one to think so ?
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'm mostly okay with the neighborhood. I'll be honest, I would definitely prefer it if they had a few more lots, but considering it's a game pack and they already made so much stuff for the magical world, I guess it's expected to an extent.

But wouldn't it be best if instead of four 30x20 lots and one 40x30, they had gone with two 30x20, two 40x30 and one 50x40? A mansion in the woods for a rich and powerful spellcaster would be a dream come true. Please tell me I'm not the only one who craves a 50x40 lot in Glimmerbrook.

Overall, though, I'm very happy with the new world and cannot wait to have the pack in my hands!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @happyopi @gothprincess4ever totally agree though. I'm very happy about everything we got, but one 50*40 lot or larger would have been perfect. I kinda built thinking we'd get at least one but alas! It's really the only negative thing I've heard about RoM so far.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    @happyopi @gothprincess4ever totally agree though. I'm very happy about everything we got, but one 50*40 lot or larger would have been perfect. I kinda built thinking we'd get at least one but alas! It's really the only negative thing I've heard about RoM so far.

Yeah, it feels like a lost opportunity there, but the world still looks great.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I agree with you. I'm not necessarily a big fan of the larger lots, but it's nice to have one 50x40 to have options. And the sizing in Del Sol Valley is really weird... although I did finally find a good lot on the gallery for cheaper-looking quasi apartments/townhouses for the large lot in the less expensive neighborhood. I haven't used it yet, but it fits for a storyline I have in mind for down the road.

As an aside, has anyone else noted that there are very few square lots in this iteration of the Sims? They are nearly all rectangular, where as previous versions of the game leaned heavily on square lots. I honestly still prefer the square ones for most purposes.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Thank Llama for that one big 40*30 because that is the size of the house I built for my main family. Going to update it with new stairs :)
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I would've loved to have one huge lot on there for the farm I built, but since I generally prefer the smaller lots anyway, I like the choices. It's more fitting for an area that I imagine would be cozy and hidden, for me at least.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    After the Del Sol Valley fiasco I’m happy to have smaller lots lol. I hope the next world brings back a couple of 20x15 and 20x20 lots. Also the lot in the magic realm brings a new lot size of 40x40 which I hope they continue with. Love the perfectly square lots.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    After the Del Sol Valley fiasco I’m happy to have smaller lots lol. I hope the next world brings back a couple of 20x15 and 20x20 lots. Also the lot in the magic realm brings a new lot size of 40x40 which I hope they continue with. Love the perfectly square lots.

Ah it's 40*40 not 40*30? My house with garden and fountain might fit on a 40*40 #letshope - unless of course the house that's on it is too pretty.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Ah it's 40*40 not 40*30? My house with garden and fountain might fit on a 40*40 #letshope - unless of course the house that's on it is too pretty.

The Sage’s house in the Realm is 40x40 (only editable via cheats). The biggest lot in Glimmerbrook is 40x30.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Yes, I am really happy about having at least one 40x30 lot because my build will fit on it nicely. I do wish there was more square lots also as the rectangular ones I find harder to fit what I want on them. Del Sol Valley is very weird indeed. I hate the big lot in the low rent neighborhood. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. It would have been nice instead to have two smaller lots in that area. I have a couple of builds that would go perfect there if the lot wasn't so huge. But I digress, I do like that there are 5 lots in this game pack.