Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wish We Could Disable Certain Parts of a Pack

I was just thinking that I really don’t use a lot of the packs and I own them all but Moschino. It would be nice if we could disable certain parts of packs. For example, I don’t send my Sims on vacation or out to eat, or have them own businesses so I would like to disable Dine Out, Outdoor Retreat, Jungle Adventure and Get To Work.

HOWEVER I use items from I believe all of these packs on a regular basis and I would miss them if they were removed because I disabled the pack, so I’m stuck.

And there are a few Stuff Packs that have cool CAS assets that I wouldn’t have anymore if I disabled the pack even though I don’t use the gameplay objects.

It just would be nice if we could pick and choose which things we want to be installed, like a menu where we could uncheck items or worlds or clothing we didn’t want in the game. I feel like there was something like this in TS3 before you started the game but not 100% sure.

Comments

• Options
    The usefulness depends on the feature I guess, i mean, yeah you don't use restaurants, but the game doesnt bug you about Dining Out and such. So it's not a problem. I only mind features that abrupt my gameplay.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    Simmify wrote: »
    The usefulness depends on the feature I guess, i mean, yeah you don't use restaurants, but the game doesnt bug you about Dining Out and such. So it's not a problem. I only mind features that abrupt my gameplay.

I find City Living festival notifications extremely annoying seeing as how I never send my Sims to them anymore. But unfortunately we can’t disable these festival notifications without a mod. But I still like San Myshuno so I wouldn’t want to completely disable the pack, just stop the festivals.
  • Options
    GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    It would be nice. I don't like the occult sims, so I don't buy packs that include them because I don't want them popping up in the game. I bought Get to Work without doing due diligence, and ended up with an infestation of aliens. I know there are ways around it with mods, but it would be good to have an unmodded option available.
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,695 Member
    Yeah, it would be nice being able to shut off certain functionality. Would mean a clean up in action menus as well, and could make playing historical settings much easier. I too have lots of CAS and BB content I never use.

Another option would be the possibility turning off notifications that we are not interested in. The kids asking for advice (Parenthood) is driving me nuts. With several kids in a house there seem to be popups constantly. Also the green "Your photo was saved at this location..." is like torture
    when you already saw it about 5000 times before.

Talking about the massive content with several packs installed, I'd love them to add a way to expand the BB catalog with say 3 more rows, like we had in TS2. Each category gets too packed, and with rather tiny icons I feel stress when scrolling through the bb catalog. Normally seeing only 1 full row (and 2 half rows) at the time, makes it hard to find what you are looking for.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, it would be nice being able to shut off certain functionality. Would mean a clean up in action menus as well, and could make playing historical settings much easier. I too have lots of CAS and BB content I never use.

Another option would be the possibility turning off notifications that we are not interested in. The kids asking for advice (Parenthood) is driving me nuts. With several kids in a house there seem to be popups constantly. Also the green "Your photo was saved at this location..." is like torture

Talking about the massive content with several packs installed, I'd love them to add a way to expand the BB catalog with say 3 more rows, like we had in TS2. Each category gets too packed, and with rather tiny icons I feel stress when scrolling through the bb catalog. Normally seeing only 1 full row (and 2 half rows) at the time, makes it hard to find what you are looking for.

True about cleaning up the menus. May even make the game run faster if we can disable what we don’t want.

And yea the “asking for advice” and mood swings in Parenthood would definitely be things I’d want to disable completely.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I wish I could have get famous without the obnoxious celebrities. :D
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I wish I could have Get Famous without the constant “omg a celebrity at this lot”/talent competition calls, and the cluttering of the calendar.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    Disabling part of a pack can sometimes disable parts of the pack needed somewhere else in a game and never really a good idea. Just as adding mods changes play - adding and removing any parts that require certain programming can break the game or make it play differently then it other wise should.

It is why I never play a developing game with mods or removing any part of the programming by disabling - because eventually problems can develope that would not other wise happen if that bit of programming is in place when it is needed for something else but it's main objective.

Usually things that will not create issues are programming that has various different options which may not be nothing more than a switch or gateway for something else to work when it is needed - but if you have interferred with the switch being there because it also has other functions - you may end up with glitches and hordes of other problems along the way. A developing game is not a finished game - you have to keep that in mind and when players add things or take away things in a game that have multifunctions - that's when problems happen. It is better to never add programming to you game you =do not like. just to have some part of the game you may like. Like don't care for supernaturals but like their content - well you really need to reconsider having supernaturals and enjoying their content as sooner or later programming designed for that pack is going to do something you don't like.

Programming is a very different animal and often multipurpose so it becomes hard to just remove one or a few assets to programming and always get what you want to happen especially if other programs in your game also use some of those switches -

I would always just install in my games packs I truly want use of and not packages i just want part of. Programming does not always work as you intend it to do - especially if you also use mods and CC not even made by the company that made your game. It is why mods and CC breaks when the game get updated programming,. Only what devs program to the computer counts over other things they did not program because the game is made to respond to the game companies programming first and if it is blocked well your game starts searching for those commands it can't find and it creates issues. Your game will almost always work better with the official commands aND CONTENT - that is what it is designed to do.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'd go one further and allow the user a list of all autonomous actions so one can pick and choose what their sims do and how often.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'd go one further and allow the user a list of all autonomous actions so one can pick and choose what their sims do and how often.

Seasons without autonomous snow shoveling sounds to good to be true. :D
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

Scrolling through the catalog is so challenging. I use a Mac touchpad, and keyboard shortcuts don't work for scrolling. I have so much CC that even moving my finger a millimeter means I miss items.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    This will probably sound weird, but I'd love to have Get Famous without the aspects of fame. Just CAS, BB and Del Smol Valley; no celebs anywhere, no fans, no random Youtube teenagers, none of that.

It would also be great to turn off occults. I'd love to use that for GTW. I'm only lucky that I've never seen an alien in my game. And it would be great to use if I ever get Island Living.
  • Options
    missmaddmissmadd Posts: 7 New Member
    I'd like parenthood without constant "Be Asked Advice" or school phone calls, City living without the festival notifications since my sims never go to any or so vampires stop coming to my house all night. I love the outdoor and jungle adventure stuff but don't do on vacation very often. I hope they add this in the gameplay menu at some point. Not all the packs fit into every game situation.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I wish we can uninstall some items that we don't want and will never use, saving room for things we do like. I probably use more maxis match hair and and clothing cc then a lot of the in game item.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Same, especially bugs.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    I wish we could disable horrible clothing patched into the game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    More toggles would be helpful in a lot of places. Offhand I'd like the ability to set the following by save:

Alien abductions, either yes/no or frequent/infrequent/never
    Vampire npcs feeding off played sims, yes/no
    Headgear and accessories ever spawned randomly, yes/no
    Parenthood phases, yes/no
    Parenthood advice doesn't bother me but since it does bother others, a separate toggle from phases so we can individually disable the parts that annoy us.
    Also autonomous making messes, yes/no

I'm sure there are more. But anyway, the more they can toggle, the more we can all play our individual games the way we want, and the more we could make our multiple saves unique.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Smart technology engine does not take toggles well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Sounds more like a dumb technology engine... Am also in favor of more toggles. After all, EA claims we rule, and toggles would help us do that. Options help make for more varied and unique games and gameplay.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I hate most of the festivals, so I agree.
  • Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    One of the things I liked about the magic EP for TS3 was that you could disable the vampires, witches, zombies and the like. It was a really nice feature.

I find that I often want a pack only because of the CAS it has, so I too find some of the "features" annoying. (And I completely agree that I'd love it if "Ask for Advice" was not in Parenthood!)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    One of the things I liked about the magic EP for TS3 was that you could disable the vampires, witches, zombies and the like. It was a really nice feature.

I find that I often want a pack only because of the CAS it has, so I too find some of the "features" annoying. (And I completely agree that I'd love it if "Ask for Advice" was not in Parenthood!)

Yessss they added toggles for Seasons they should be able to add toggles to disable certain supernaturals.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,112 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »

I would like the toggles too, and ideally per save. Sometimes I want supernaturals in a save, sometimes I don't.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.