Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First impressions of stairs

Comments

• Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited September 2019
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    After waiting patiently for almost twenty years I was finally able to create this! My childhood nostalgia is crying with joy right now (it's not entirely accurate and I had to take some creative license with it because of the limitations with the railings - hopefully the devs will hear the feedback and do something about them)
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

OH MY GOD SO MANY MEMORIES
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    If anyone has used the new stair tools, do they work the same is if the stairs are normal in terms of the speed of the sims going up and down them. At first glance, to me, it looks like it would take the sims longer to get up the stairs in those weird shapes? I'm curious if it changes their speed or not.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Kate Emerald on YT has a video up to "kind of" make spiral stairs if y'all are interested. They obviously dont spiral but she found a work around to have them stack on top each other.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    After waiting patiently for almost twenty years I was finally able to create this! My childhood nostalgia is crying with joy right now (it's not entirely accurate and I had to take some creative license with it because of the limitations with the railings - hopefully the devs will hear the feedback and do something about them)
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

Is this the house from the Mario game?
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

OH MY GOD SO MANY MEMORIES

IKR! So many times I swan dived off that bad boy staircase - it's iconic! When I heard about this update I just knew it would be the first thing I made with it. I'm going to be building the entire lot and will probably upload to the gallery at some point. Glass roof for the pool area? Check. Adjustable foundations for the assault course? Check. Configurable stairs? CHECK!!!
  • Options
    TamskiTamski Posts: 14 New Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Is this the house from the Mario game?

It's from the original Tomb Raider.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

Is this the house from the Mario game?

No it's Croft Manor from Tomb Raider 3! I've been wanting to build this house in the Sims since I was a kid but no other Sims game was able to deliver without using cheats or workarounds which I could never quite get the hang of so this update has actually been able to fulfil something on my bucket list :)

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    first impressions? I am so excited to make builds but I totally blanked out because I realized all this time I've been building houses where i don't need cool stairs to avoid the problem of not having them but now that I have them I'm just sitting here like "so what I was going to do again"

I might need to create new house just for the mighty stairs
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Further first impression: heyyy, 4x4 tiny house possibility! :D I think that alone is making the new stairs a complete and utter win :D
  • Options
    Rachel_ARachel_A Posts: 5 New Member
    > @GracieO312 said:
    > After waiting patiently for almost twenty years I was finally able to create this! My childhood nostalgia is crying with joy right now (it's not entirely accurate and I had to take some creative license with it because of the limitations with the railings - hopefully the devs will hear the feedback and do something about them)
    > (Image)
    >
    > My childhood!!

I've been staring at this picture for 5 minutes trying to figure out how you did that! I want to recreate it but I honestly don't think I can lol. Would it be possible for you to upload it to the gallery? (Just the way it is in the pic) if not its ok! Sorry to be annoying
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The new stairs are pretty great, finally my attics can be more than deco.

I think we lost the ability to have a landing on a round deck though. So, not thrilled about that.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    I hadn't really tried it out as my game froze earlier, was out for a little bit and have to get up early tomorrow; but I tried messing with it a little bit.

I don't have any complaints as I never use really out there stairs as I never see anything like that; but I turned part of the stairs before going up the next steps. I usually only see stairs like that in some hotels. I guess when you live in small a desert area all your life, you don't really see many types of stairs often, so I didn't really get all excited or care that much as I didn't really notice many types.
  • Options
    starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    Further first impression: heyyy, 4x4 tiny house possibility! :D I think that alone is making the new stairs a complete and utter win :D

My first reaction too! Wheeee!
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I have been going through a few of the houses in my game save, and working on changing out the old-style staircases for this new ability. I forgot to take a before picture but here are a couple after.

69570156_1354364928047132_2261311723136876544_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQkMESDWaxp_GhcOZzFOXE-W39uA7iuiLiM3cObvPvyJicOlo_OvKBVb471ljFiw1ThTPBWGJ7vshmQ1_aDG85Qe&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=08c3ebf6457686f9852d8485ee0715c2&oe=5DF8C49C

69645747_1354364914713800_6630650711489118208_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQnK1MkMvCY3Dx09rDycbTB1VaCc0Iz0bTM7eyYifTe0TEbgZ9Nq5O0Gd3OM0kcMLAhN2p5LbtnFqQVPffqYhhwo&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=1e0d2aaf3aeca3f5a3435382e4c6391d&oe=5E09CEE0

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I love the new stair tools. With the editable terrain and now these stair tools, I think build mode has finally caught up to or even surpassed previous versions now. Not having to use clunky cheats is a big win - and it's so much easier now!!
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Think that I will have a lot of fun with these :) it is nice to be able to change up things a bit with floor plans.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    edited September 2019
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I have been going through a few of the houses in my game save, and working on changing out the old-style staircases for this new ability. I forgot to take a before picture but here are a couple after.

@LaBlue0314 Am I seeing things, or does your second picture have L-shaped staircases that have walls under the lower half of the stairs but are open beneath the upper half? I didn't think that was possible.

Nevermind, they're completely enclosed! Guess it was an optical illusion. :p
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Kate Emerald is always adding foundation sections on upper floors - how do you get the game to add foundations that are not on the ground?
  • Options
    cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    groovyboa wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed you can't stack U-shaped stairs on each other like how the stairs in an apartment or indoor fire escape would be. It's a step in the right direction though.
    You mean like this?
    i1U5AAX.png
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Screenshot_2019-09-06_10.13.27.png

It looks sort of like LEGO but also hey, 4x4 tiny build :D It's so much fun to experiment.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Rachel_A wrote: »
    > @GracieO312 said:
    > After waiting patiently for almost twenty years I was finally able to create this! My childhood nostalgia is crying with joy right now (it's not entirely accurate and I had to take some creative license with it because of the limitations with the railings - hopefully the devs will hear the feedback and do something about them)
    > (Image)
    >
    > My childhood!!

I've been staring at this picture for 5 minutes trying to figure out how you did that! I want to recreate it but I honestly don't think I can lol. Would it be possible for you to upload it to the gallery? (Just the way it is in the pic) if not its ok! Sorry to be annoying

Uh-oh! Spaghetti-oh! I didn't save it as it was only meant to be a proof of concept thing but I can definitely redo and upload. I will be remaking the entire house too but I'll most likely Simmify it a bit in terms of scaling and decor (make it a bit more realistic) and I want to fit the grounds in too :) now all I have to do is wait for motorbikes/quadbikes!

Edit: Hallway is now up on the gallery for all you fellow Tomb Raiders out there. Origin ID is GracieFace312 :)
    Post edited by GracieO312 on
  • Options
    groovyboagroovyboa Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2019
    I don't know if there was a little patch for this (because I notice the unrelated column issue appears to be fixed now) or I've been doing it wrong before, but I can now stack U-shaped stairs on top of each other. For some reason it only works when you have the grid enabled, otherwise you can't place the stairs. Anyways, this is very cool, this is what I wanted. B)
    QjfMoGl.png

edit:
    @crysk oh yeah like that, I didn't see your comment. I guess I must've been doing it wrong when I tried it before.
  • Options
    DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

THAT is gorgeous.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Options
    DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    It's a brand new thing, so there are bound to be a few bugs with it. I'm sure it will be patched through and cleaned up in the coming weeks and months.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Options
    ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    crysk wrote: »
    groovyboa wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed you can't stack U-shaped stairs on each other like how the stairs in an apartment or indoor fire escape would be. It's a step in the right direction though.
    You mean like this?
    i1U5AAX.png

I did this, but what killed me was I was having such a hard time putting fencing around the stairs. Plus the shape of the flooring was weird. Then I kept having weird holes in the floors even after the stairs were deleted (probably due to me messing with fencing) and even of I tried to repair it by placing the floor base in the wall build mode. Siiiiigh. I just really wish we could put fencing under all stairs with bb.moveobjects without the stairs being deleted. Because many fences were short enough that it worked anyways.

I played around for about two hours then quit without saving so I didn't ruin my build. I should have saved the lot to the gallery before I started, because I do not know if MCCC auto saved.... Does MCCC auto save in build mode?

ANYWAYS, still super excited about them. I'll have to hassle with it more this weekend to make it work.