Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First impressions of stairs

Share you thoughts here...

Positives

-lots of stair shape opportunities
-easy to use
-can easily be added to existing builds

Negatives

-can't configure stairs 4 or more tiles wide
-cannot create T shaped stairs without using 2 separate staircases, causing issues with railings
-cannot create grand sweeping stairs due to the set position of the angles (i.e let us have shallower stairs over a greater length without removing an angle...i know what I mean, i'll try to get a pic to explain xd)

Comments

• Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    edited September 2019
    That last point example, i want the stair to extend right up to the spandrel whilst maintaining 3 curves, but dragging to fit simply removes one of the curves or causes the middle rise to be too short to fit the width (see bottom pic)...again, I know what I mean and hope you do too xd

[img][/img]5OSTVDR.png

v2QIJ9p.png
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Positives:
    - The stairs do auto-generate walls underneath (I was worried they wouldn't).

Negatives:
    - Stairs still make friezes disappear on interior walls.
    - Railings/posts still clip interior walls and show when they shouldn't.
    - Still can't remove a single auto-wall beneath a staircase, the entire staircase has to be open.
    - Still can't stack open stairs in a room without a floor (this is somewhat an issue with being unable to remove floor tiles one by one).

Overall, I think it's a really good tool. I would like a few more tweaks, though.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited September 2019
    So far in my 30 minutes of trying to fix up my existing stairs in my house i'm finding a few issues I don't understand yet. When I try to L-shape the stairs I get a "wall" or "fence" issue. I tried deleting the stairs I had and starting from scratch which seemed to fix the fence problem I had (which I assume was caused by the railings) but there's still a wall issue. I can't see any walls that would affect the stairs. So.... not sure yet.

Also, since the update, I lost the ability to create foundations. The foundation slider is gone. Is anyone else having this issue, or is it maybe just me?
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @muzickmage I had the foundation slider in my test build, so If it is a bug, it’s localised. Did you try it on other builds or just one?

Overall, I love the stairs. I’m gonna need to go build some more to see how they work properly, but they certainly add to the fun factor (that’s as far as I got for now lol)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    So far i've had to put the stairs outside to change them before moving them back into the house...might work for you.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I thought it would create a landing, but each time I turned the stair, I keep getting the can't intersect walls message. I worked hard on the second floor and I don't want to undo the hard work. This is just so... plum!]

• Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Just had a quick play and so far I love it! Yes controls are a little tricky at first but with a little playing around they get easier to use. So happy that we finally have gotten something.
  • Options
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    After waiting patiently for almost twenty years I was finally able to create this! My childhood nostalgia is crying with joy right now (it's not entirely accurate and I had to take some creative license with it because of the limitations with the railings - hopefully the devs will hear the feedback and do something about them)
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

Wow... I might have to steal your idea xd
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Negatives: can’t change the width. Have to delete them to and choose your width if you want to change.
    Can’t place plants or clutter on the base they create in the middle😔
  • Options
    @muzickmage I had the foundation slider in my test build, so If it is a bug, it’s localised. Did you try it on other builds or just one?

Problem solved. Apparently I just needed to quit/restart game again. Not sure what happened on the first startup but, my foundation slider option is working just fine again. So.... happy camper here lol.
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    Not to be negative BUT:
    Making T stairs (side by side stairs where the left set bends to the left and the right set bends to the right) isn’t possible with railings. Each set will have its own railings the whole way up.

We should be able to customize railings by setting them on each side of the stairs independently...though that still may not solve this issue.
  • Options
    teajayloveteajaylove Posts: 175 Member

After playing with it a bit, I figured out that for me it may just be easier to build the stairs and then the house around it. I was able to place two next to each other to achieve the multiple floors look. I may have just made it more difficult, but does anyone know of an easier way?

RQwdEBH.png

VxCqZ2M.png
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    Not to be negative BUT:
    Making T stairs (side by side stairs where the left set bends to the left and the right set bends to the right) isn’t possible with railings. Each set will have its own railings the whole way up.

We should be able to customize railings by setting them on each side of the stairs independently...though that still may not solve this issue.

This!
    The uneditable railings annoyed me pre-update now they're even more annoying! Hopefully this gets updated soon. Fingers crossed :#
  • Options
    groovyboagroovyboa Posts: 25 Member
    I'm a bit disappointed you can't stack U-shaped stairs on each other like how the stairs in an apartment or indoor fire escape would be. It's a step in the right direction though.
  • Options
    groovyboa wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed you can't stack U-shaped stairs on each other like how the stairs in an apartment or indoor fire escape would be. It's a step in the right direction though.

Adding to that.... It seems you can't have stairs leading up to, or from, the platform created by the L-shaping stairs either.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The rail poking through the wall is so ugly.

Hope they come up with a fix for this.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I also wish the automatic landing between sets of stairs could be lengthened beyond one tile, for when you want a U shaped staircase that doesn't have risers on every side of the U.

Also adding a wish for the ability to only add railings to one side of a staircase. But I don't think it will happen.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited September 2019
    I can't post a picture atm because imgur is having problems but I am using the ladder type stairs( simple slatted stairway) and there is a weird lip on the top stair turning onto the landing. It spreads across the top step, I'm not sure how it will work in live mode but it does not look safe. I can imagine my sim tripping over it and hurtling down the stairs.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Out of the whole thing that has been given I like the stairs the best and I could work with it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Flexono1 wrote: »
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    After waiting patiently for almost twenty years I was finally able to create this! My childhood nostalgia is crying with joy right now (it's not entirely accurate and I had to take some creative license with it because of the limitations with the railings - hopefully the devs will hear the feedback and do something about them)
    GxOl6UF.png
    My childhood!!

Wow... I might have to steal your idea xd

That is great! :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    teajaylove wrote: »

After playing with it a bit, I figured out that for me it may just be easier to build the stairs and then the house around it. I was able to place two next to each other to achieve the multiple floors look. I may have just made it more difficult, but does anyone know of an easier way?

I've always had a problem with doing stairs in a completed home. I usually get around this by building the house, but doing the stairs before the floorplan. Or if I do the floor plan, I temporarily delete the rooms around the stairs until they are completed. That may help?