Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's discuss the new stairs

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    These sort of take the place of spiral stairs imo. I'd still want them eventually but I love how much space these will save!!!!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm really looking forward to using this for a wizard's tower I have along with many other builds that will just look better for it.
    I'd still like to have spiral stairs but if I had to make a choice these would win.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    When do we get the new stairs this week? :)
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited September 2019
    Patrice wrote: »
    When do we get the new stairs this week? :)

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you’re always a day awayyy!
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member

Thanks, I quess... now that will play in my head for rest of the night! :D

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options

My pleasure.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I love the overhauled stairs (not new stairs, its just old stairs being improved), but...
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    Super excited to have new stair options. And I think the fact that an update has been made to stairs is a good indicator that it’s possible for spiral stairs to come in the future.

I don't think so. These new stairs don't require new animations, but spiral stairs (climbing in circles) probably would. And with pets and toddlers, this is obviously a nightmare for the devs.

But I still want curved stairs, spiral stairs, etc...

I'm just hoping that somehow stairs will work on a diagonal wall. That's another problem with my late grand-uncle's mansion that is no more. He deceased in 1973, and his wife lived until 1986, I think it was. Unfortunately, they had no children, so her nephew got his hands on the property and allowed the City of Angels (yeah, right) AKA Los Angeles to tear it down in favor of apartment buildings. Face/palm. Thing is the three story was already divided into three apartments, four, if you count the ground floor where my relatives lived. Two apts. on the second floor and the third story was a Studio apartment. Sheesh. Here's to hoping the city still maintains the original floor plan of this place.

ETA: I just had a wild and crazy thought. Do you imagine that with the way the stairs swivel, that it could be possible to twist them into a spiral type? Oh, man I need to stop thinking about it I won't be able to experiment until Friday!

Oh my goodness! Your family story should be a mystery novel. Love it!

Now, there's a thought … Another odd fact, if I may. I finally made contact via Ancestry with a woman who descends from my grandfather's eldest sister. Seems for a time, she lived in CA, too. My Grandpa would often visit them. She also used to visit the owners of said mansion, Grandpa's older brother. Yet, we never met, she and I, until last summer. How can people move in similar circles and the circles never collide? She also loved that house.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    EsReverniDrawrofEsReverniDrawrof Posts: 30 Member

My pleasure.

AgCkk!!! Noooooo! Its stuck in my head too! I originally walked away from this thread, and caught myself singing that Annie song while folding laundry. I'm back to say you cursed us!!! haha

Sorry for the OT comment *dies*

BTW, those stairs rock. I mean come on, does anyone actually NOT like them?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    EDIT: Deleted. Never mind.
    Post edited by SimQueenie9 on
  • Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    groovyboa wrote: »
    The new stair tool looks like everything I wished for (finally I can make fire escapes and stairs that fit in small houses). A diagonal version would be cool too.
    It also looks like it might be easier to build/add basements. I've just been working on that in preparation for RoM and now I can spend all weekend re-doing my work. :/

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't build so it's hard for me to get excited about building stuff. I guess they will be cool in lots I download.

I'm not a great builder but I love remodeling/refurbishing older houses, especially Maxis base game ones -- I've done some nice ones Pique Hearth (Pancakes house) and Brook Bungalow. Will revisit those, and also the library in Willow Creek. I'll have fun playaing with the new stairs this weekend.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    After seeing this, I'm super excited to have this in my game, especially as a builder as there are so many possibilities that this opens up!
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited September 2019
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    Super excited to have new stair options. And I think the fact that an update has been made to stairs is a good indicator that it’s possible for spiral stairs to come in the future.

The main problem with spiral staircases is not the animation but the different ceiling heights. The current stairs get an extra tile of stairs attached when you make the room higher, and I assume that is still going to be true for the updated ones. But that is not possible for spiral stairs. Stretching the stair to make it taller will distort the steps and animations. Adding a segment will change the direction of the top or bottom landing, meaning the stair needs to be rotated or repositioned every time you change ceiling heights.
    I hope we get them of course, but it is more complex to combine with variable ceiling heights. .

I am still very exited about the stair update. I can't wait to try it out.
  • Options
    deaallendeaallen Posts: 16 Member
    do we know roughly what time this update will be released?
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited September 2019
    Updates usually go live at 6pm UK time (10am PST), whatever that is in other timezones.

7 more hours.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm not a builder, so I wasn't too excited about the stairs. Too much twisting and turning made my tiny brain all messed up. I don't know if I can figure out how to use them on my existing houses.
    I trust that there will be great builds in gallery using the new stairs, though. I guess I need to get ready to move my households to new homes. I love gallery on Sims 4. :)
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I'm not downloading the patch till I get realm of magic so I won't get to experiment till then. Was wondering if people could post some stuff they came up with and issues encountered?

Also, I know we can combine stair cases to make T shaped stairs but does anyone know if we can combine staircases in other ways? For example, can we have a two tile wide stair case and put a one tile on top? Does the game still recognize them as two separate staircases or will it try to convert it to one?
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    When I saw the Gurus display that house with the stairs going everywhere the first thing I thought of were those M. C. Escher stair paintings lol
  • Options
    treece01 wrote: »
    I'm not downloading the patch till I get realm of magic so I won't get to experiment till then. Was wondering if people could post some stuff they came up with and issues encountered?

Also, I know we can combine stair cases to make T shaped stairs but does anyone know if we can combine staircases in other ways? For example, can we have a two tile wide stair case and put a one tile on top? Does the game still recognize them as two separate staircases or will it try to convert it to one?

I noticed pretty quickly that on a U-shaped staircase, the stair railing clips through the upper stairs.