Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Release the dev kit to create worlds

Clearly this team is overworked to the point we can’t get larger worlds anymore. Please release a dev kit that’ll allow cc creators to create worlds.

Realm of Magic being 1 lot is incredibly disappointing. The other world being shipped with 5 lots is also ridiculous. If the devs cannot do it themselves than let the community do it.

Comments

• Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    They've said that releasing it is an option at some point, and I'm willing to bet that will be the end of 4's run when no more official content is being released. If they released tools now then players would be able to make their own worlds instead of having to buy new packs for new locations.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    I doubt they'll even release it at the end of The Sims 4's run, there'd be too much profit to be made selling people worlds.
    raw
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2019
    Didn't they say they started making worlds smaller because TS4 could no longer support additional, larger worlds to the scale of Windenburg? Definitely makes me wonder what the purpose of starting a whole new base game was with it being so extremely limited at every front.

My wallet and self are ready for TS5 when you are, EA. It's been closed for this generation, and won't be opening any time soon with the poor quality of these packs.
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Didn't they say they started making worlds smaller because TS4 could no longer support additional, larger worlds to the scale of Windenburg? Definitely makes me wonder what the purpose of starting a whole new base game was with it being so extremely limited at every front.

My wallet and self are ready for TS5 when you are, EA. It's been closed for this generation, and won't be opening any time soon with the poor quality of these packs.

I forgot that they did indeed say this. What a failure this iteration is. Less features, shallow depth, cheap gameplay, no open world and yet the worlds are the smallest in the entire series.

Let's just move on to TS5 already. TS4 is a failed experiment.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

I expect it's because it was never meant to have any NPCs at all, or very few and thus could easily be handled by servers... TS4's engine was never designed for a singleplayer game.
    raw
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

It's their own fault they can't do bigger worlds. They should have made it to support anything they wanted to do.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

I expect it's because it was never meant to have any NPCs at all, or very few and thus could easily be handled by servers... TS4's engine was never designed for a singleplayer game.

Quite agree with these sentiments. TS4 should have been merely a stop-gap to buy time to produce a proper single player game. In such online games as I've tried the NPC's are largely the other online players, not a character in game - other than bad guys you're supposed to deal with and whoever hands out the assignments for you to do.

As for the dev kit, Bioware has already done it for their 'Neverwinter Nights' game way back when. That was a win-win for everone. We players got to make our own stuff, tinker with what they gave us, and extended the store shelf life years beyond the usual. I was seeing it in game shops (& Not in the bargain bin) a good 5 years after the games released the year it was were long gone and forgotten.

They way they have us paying more and more for less and less we'll soon be paying everything for nothing if they have their way. A pack would have to be very fantabulous to induce me to open wallet again. When said pack is on sale.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Clearly this team is overworked
    Yes, let's give them a rest.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Worlds in previous games were separated, that's why they could be big, as they were standalone.

I already have no idea where any of my sims are invited, too many lots I don't recognize the names of.

I'm not attacking people wanting bigger worlds, you should always ask your money worth, and tbh I could have used one more community lot in Strangerville but I'm struggling to understand: what are you gonna need space for, your 10th gym ? Your 20th bar ?
    Do you only play one world in a new save and never visit anywhere else ?
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Worlds in previous games were separated, that's why they could be big, as they were standalone.

I already have no idea where any of my sims are invited, too many lots I don't recognize the names of.

I'm not attacking people wanting bigger worlds, you should always ask your money worth, and tbh I could have used one more community lot in Strangerville but I'm struggling to understand: what are you gonna need space for, your 10th gym ? Your 20th bar ?

[builders have left the chat]
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2019

I need a lot more room to house families. Plus I'd like neighborhoods to be more self-sufficient with their lots, so my Sulani sims don't have to travel halfway around the globe to read a book at the library. It breaks immersion.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

It'd be nice if we could fit our 10th gym. We're lucky if we can fit our first one in with the size of these worlds.

Generational gameplay is a huge part of the franchise, and has been since The Sims 2. What's so great about every other game than The Sims 4 though is the fact that I have so much room, practically unlimited access, to let multiple generations spread out amongst the world they live in. In The Sims 4, aside from the fact generational gameplay was such a horrible afterthought in this game, I can barely afford to let one family spread out in a world at a time.

If I could get big, immersive worlds back, then yeah, I'd gladly take worlds the way they used to be in TS3. However, The Sims 2 actually had a really nice compromise, too, called sub-hoods, where the developers were able to create worlds within worlds. So, the downtown district was a part of the same world you played in already, as was the business district. There was none of this 4-lot world [Magnolia Promenade] clogging up the world selection menu mess.

To answer your last question, I play rotationally in mostly one save at a time, and it's bothersome to leave the home lot when there is a loading screen (even if it's only a few seconds) interrupting my gameplay. It also doesn't help that outside lots don't feel engaging, fun, or spontaneous when you visit them.
  • Options
    LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member

I have 301 sims in one save, and very few community lots. I play rotationally, and I need living space.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I like a variety of Worlds my favorite so far are: Oasis Springs, Winderburg, Cats & Dogs Town, Sulan Island, Strangerville ( after I turn it normal ) & Forgotten Hollow. And I will probably like Glimmerbrook even though it has only five lots like Forgotten Hollow. Sims 3 kept on crashing due to many large towns, Sims 4 doesn't.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Worlds have been my biggest struggle in TS4. I hate how it works.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019

Over exaggerated numbers. Most players include 1 gym, but 3 bars seem kinda realistic in a small town. Who wouldn't want to like expand Forgotten hollow more than five lots? When you have an imagination wild, a good variety of lots than you describe two, you can't really do much than get peeve why the hell there's such restriction. For christ sakes ea, give us 'duplicate' world feature if they're gonna leave us with forgotten hollow.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

It is about creativity and it is also about game development. In all honesty whether an world was standalone or even connected does not have anything to do with how they are developed. Why would you want to understand why one want an bigger world when there is nothing to understand. as usual it may come down to what EA/Maxis did at the start of of this project that is now an thorn in thier side and I am willing to bet that they wish they had not used an failed project engine and just make one from scratch one that can be flexible going forward. even an big world can be connected and seeing you are alluding to Sims 3 worlds, It was too late for Sims 3 as it time of production has ended and Sims 4 was left holding the bag. Another thing to point out even with your post why can't we edit our neighborhoods and make non static lots which probably would satisfy some players. We cannot even edit what we have and for some that is painful and in some ways lower their creativity. Also it is about choices if one want to stay in one world that is that player's choice is it not? yes it is. It seem like the technology in Sims 4 did an time warp back into the future. and I cannot say it was for the better especially with Loading screens.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

Over exaggerated numbers. Most players include 1 gym, but 3 bars seem kinda realistic in a small town. Who wouldn't want to like expand Forgotten hollow more than five lots? When you have an imagination wild, a good variety of lots than you describe two, you can't really do much than get peeve why the hell there's such restriction. For christ sakes ea, give us 'duplicate' world feature if they're gonna leave us with forgotten hollow.

Amen to that! :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I like a variety of Worlds my favorite so far are: Oasis Springs, Winderburg, Cats & Dogs Town, Sulan Island, Strangerville ( after I turn it normal ) & Forgotten Hollow. And I will probably like Glimmerbrook even though it has only five lots like Forgotten Hollow. Sims 3 kept on crashing due to many large towns, Sims 4 doesn't.

It did not happen for everyone especially me what it comes down to is how often EA/Maxis tweaks the game and even in Sims 4 which has less features than Sims 3 and even Sims 2 some players can't even enjoy the game because of EA/Maxis slow response to fix them or tweak the game. Even in other games that use an lot of resources the game and depend on an AI system they tweak thier games.5 lots per game is peanuts and you can't even edit the neighborhood at that.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019

It's understandable if someone plays like TS3 players with one household for legacy and or for many,many generations in the same house, which is legacy form.

It's not reasonable when TS2 players who also like TS4 need those spaces for their rotational families who they play for many generations. If you play rotationally and have ten households who have kids (most) then yes, you will need more lots and more spaces. Maxis has said TS4 (before it was released) would support Rotational Play again (TS3 does not according to those who understand TS3's mechanics with the codes) so rotational players are getting the short end of the stick, again, if they are going to be limited by how many lots can be in the game.

I understand what you are saying, I played rotational and always will, and right, I only need one gym, but I also play entire neighborhoods with all my Sims in 99% on every lot in every world. Maxis Sims get evicted, and replaced whether I play them all at one time or not. I don't play mulitple saves so if I'm playing thirty households where some of course will have families and their own legacy line of generations of Sims they need places to live, too.

TS4 is the smallest game ever other than MySims. In TS2 I had over one hundred of my own Sims in the main world and at least five or more households and single households in the subhoods. I need space, lol. I had over two or three subhoods each of same type) added to a mainhood per pack that offered subhoods. That's a lot of Sims and this feels like a finger sandwich instead of steak in my opinion. The worlds are too darn small to even live out an imagination.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    edited August 2019

Sims 2 sub-hoods say hello.

I always felt like I wanted more space, never for more base game lots (except a "bar" that I wanted to be something else). I reduced things like gyms, some lot types down to ONE (or even zero!). I built and downloaded unique lots that went way beyond the scope of what Maxis intended. Think of all the shop types a player could try out. I'd probably gladly have 20+ restaurants! :D So many restaurant themes to try! That was fun. I wanted to try SO many different KINDS of community builds (and downloads too - too many interesting gallery lots I couldn't fit). I see Sims 4 as having one world with sub-hoods, best with only one save at a time, or it would feel wrong. It's obviously the same world repeated in everyone's game, in everyone's screenshots.

There's also the narrow design styles to try to fit, and many lots only made sense in few spots, which limited me greatly leaving me always wanting much more, especially with Brindleton Bay being mostly inaccessible to roads and how I loved to make little parking lots, etc. *sigh*

Yeah, the Dev Kit would help that last part especially. *bigger sigh*
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I'm talking overall, not 10 gyms in one world, but many people probably already have 10 gyms throughout the worlds.
    Wild imagination to me means taking advantage of the uniqueness of each world instead of having the same gameplay everywhere.
    Kinda reminds me of how people started building boats en masse after Sulani, but a lot of them, while really pretty and realistic on the outside were sized and furnished like a suburban house on the inside.
    So maybe I'm weird, but when I'm playing in a boat I want the space to feel cramped and plasticy, and when I'm playing a small town I want to feel like I'm missing out by not playing in a bigger town. If that makes sense.
    But then Del Sol Valley is supposed to be a proper city, yet doesn't feel so, so I can see where you are all coming from.

Cinebar wrote: »
    It's not reasonable when TS2 players who also like TS4 need those spaces for their rotational families who they play for many generations. If you play rotationally and have ten households who have kids (most) then yes, you will need more lots and more spaces. Maxis has said TS4 (before it was released) would support Rotational Play again (TS3 does not according to those who understand TS3's mechanics with the codes) so rotational players are getting the short end of the stick, again, if they are going to be limited by how many lots can be in the game.

I understand what you are saying, I played rotational and always will, and right, I only need one gym, but I also play entire neighborhoods with all my Sims in 99% on every lot in every world. Maxis Sims get evicted, and replaced whether I play them all at one time or not. I don't play mulitple saves so if I'm playing thirty households where some of course will have families and their own legacy line of generations of Sims they need places to live, too.
    Ok I apologize because this scenario didn't even came to my mind. I play in aging off and mostly in San Myshuno (I have 16 or so households in San Myshuno), and while the TS4 way fits my gameplay, I acknowledge now that it's pretty rigid for other types of players.

I guess it's a glass half full situation, worlds are getting smaller, but they get attached to what I already have, so I don't see it as "only 5 lots" but "5 more lots" because I haven't ran out of space in the first place.

I always felt like I wanted more space, never for more base game lots (except a "bar" that I wanted to be something else). I reduced things like gyms, some lot types down to ONE (or even zero!). I built and downloaded unique lots that went way beyond the scope of what Maxis intended. Think of all the shop types a player could try out. I'd probably gladly have 20+ restaurants! :D So many restaurant themes to try! That was fun. I wanted to try SO many different KINDS of community builds (and downloads too - too many interesting gallery lots I couldn't fit). I see Sims 4 as having one world with sub-hoods, best with only one save at a time, or it would feel wrong. It's obviously the same world repeated in everyone's game, in everyone's screenshots.
    Unless you played the Megahood, which is made by modders, you couldn't play all main hoods together in TS2. You could add all sub-hoods but you could not play Veronaville and Strangetown together i.e., so TS4 being a megahood by default is an improvement for me who likes playing premades first.

I actually do like you, reduce numbers of uninteresting community lots, and I try to make the most of what's left.
    The gameplay has to be different from another of the same type for me to keep a community lot.

The threat of BFBVFS in TS2 days taught me to thread carefully and not get the expansionist virus.
    If I could deactivate a few worlds honestly I would. But that's on me, and not every player is me.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm talking overall, not 10 gyms in one world, but many people probably already have 10 gyms throughout the worlds.
    Wild imagination to me means taking advantage of the uniqueness of each world instead of having the same gameplay everywhere.
    Kinda reminds me of how people started building boats en masse after Sulani, but a lot of them, while really pretty and realistic on the outside were sized and furnished like a suburban house on the inside.
    So maybe I'm weird, but when I'm playing in a boat I want the space to feel cramped and plasticy, and when I'm playing a small town I want to feel like I'm missing out by not playing in a bigger town. If that makes sense.
    But then Del Sol Valley is supposed to be a proper city, yet doesn't feel so, so I can see where you are all coming from.

Ok I apologize because this scenario didn't even came to my mind. I play in aging off and mostly in San Myshuno (I have 16 or so households in San Myshuno), and while the TS4 way fits my gameplay, I acknowledge now that it's pretty rigid for other types of players.

I guess it's a glass half full situation, worlds are getting smaller, but they get attached to what I already have, so I don't see it as "only 5 lots" but "5 more lots" because I haven't ran out of space in the first place.

Unless you played the Megahood, which is made by modders, you couldn't play all main hoods together in TS2. You could add all sub-hoods but you could not play Veronaville and Strangetown together i.e., so TS4 being a megahood by default is an improvement for me who likes playing premades first.

I actually do like you, reduce numbers of uninteresting community lots, and I try to make the most of what's left.
    The gameplay has to be different from another of the same type for me to keep a community lot.

The threat of BFBVFS in TS2 days taught me to thread carefully and not get the expansionist virus.
    If I could deactivate a few worlds honestly I would. But that's on me, and not every player is me.

The one thing about building and needing space that could help in TS4 is the removal of required lot items. I have never been a fan of TS3 or TS4's limitations put on Simmers of what type of lot a lot was going to have to be deemed. In the older games building multi type lots with many different shops and things to do there worked well for covering what players wanted to do with their Sims. It's possible in TS4 if you hide the required objects underground without stairs, however, we still have to pick what type of lot. I loved the days I could build all sorts of multi lots to cover everything I wanted my Sims to do in one full swoop.

Maxis also built multi type lots for TS2, where some would be playing pool (where are the pool tables after five years) some would be shopping for clothes, some for groceries, some watching movies etc. I really enjoy building multi lots without limiting me of what type it has to be. But it seems TS4 is like robots, they won't know what to do I guess unless the lot tells them what to do. Where as in older games it is more likely they use the most fun objects, the most fun things they enjoy (shopping being one of them) and the most things that fill motives. That doesn't seem to be the case in TS4 if we build that sort of lot, they are drawn to the designation of the lot, and ignore all other objects sometimes. And everything is overrode by talking and more talking instead of using the objects. And in some cases such as parks in TS4, they totally don't even show up if you add particular things to a park.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

The one thing about building and needing space that could help in TS4 is the removal of required lot items. I have never been a fan of TS3 or TS4's limitations put on Simmers of what type of lot a lot was going to have to be deemed. In the older games building multi type lots with many different shops and things to do there worked well for covering what players wanted to do with their Sims. It's possible in TS4 if you hide the required objects underground without stairs, however, we still have to pick what type of lot. I loved the days I could build all sorts of multi lots to cover everything I wanted my Sims to do in one full swoop.

Maxis also built multi type lots for TS2, where some would be playing pool (where are the pool tables after five years) some would be shopping for clothes, some for groceries, some watching movies etc. I really enjoy building multi lots without limiting me of what type it has to be. But it seems TS4 is like robots, they won't know what to do I guess unless the lot tells them what to do. Where as in older games it is more likely they use the most fun objects, the most fun things they enjoy (shopping being one of them) and the most things that fill motives. That doesn't seem to be the case in TS4 if we build that sort of lot, they are drawn to the designation of the lot, and ignore all other objects sometimes. And everything is overrode by talking and more talking instead of using the objects. And in some cases such as parks in TS4, they totally don't even show up if you add particular things to a park.

I remember the Multi type lots from Sims 2 and I do miss them.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2019

Yes they did.

I don't even think a world kit is an option because they outsource their world map art and they have stated that it is pretty expensive to make.

Most people wouldn't even be able to make their own worlds because they have no skills on photoshop and you'd still need to make the UI for the world and stuff. Which are things you don't need in TS2 or TS3 since there's only one big 3d world, not multiple worlds locked behind loading screens.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1