Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should the next Sims game go above the T rating?

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    The sims doesn't need to go above T.

What they need to do, is to not go bellow C, as in childish, which is what TS4 is in many ways (angry poop).

Agreed. If The Sims 1 or 2 would be released nowadays, it may even considered to be rated as M. Even though graphic violence or blood isn’t involved.

It’s quite the stretch to call The Sims 4 as T by ESRB.

Hmm... where is that thing I made years ago?

Oh! Here it is.
    Immature.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited August 2019
    Perhaps a stand alone game, a one off, criminal active career lol for us older simmers haha separate it from the series we know and love, still make the sims 5 in the future a teen rating, but this would be good as a stand alone game like for example the urbz or medieval
  • Options
    LostLambLostLamb Posts: 26 Member
    Yeah, I mean. But it'd also deny the newer generation from playing but I totally understand where you are coming from.
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    I would rather they keep the T-rating the game somehow has, it's more E for everyone as of right now. The sims series has always been about being cartoonish and the rating is still very much flexible so they can still add more mature themes. Like If I remember correctly in Sims Medieval (that was also T-rated) you could challenge a sim to a duel and straight up stab them with a sword and kill them (no blood of course) so there is still room for more violence.

Personally I would like some mature themes from older games returning though. Like being drunk or the ability to flip off other sims, that last one is fun.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I feel like the T rating has changed a lot It has become a lot more sheltered and stricter. I personally feel the Sims is too vanilla, which is why I turned to mods to make it more grown up, like call Woohoo, Nectar, and Plasma what they actually are! My sims don't get Flirty or very Flirty, They get Lustful and Passionate, They don't get "Very Sad" or "Very Angry" they get "Depressed" And "Furious." I think they should add more darker tones so when a Sim is Happy, it's actually meaningful. Like I get keeping the game light hearted and positive, but Negative and heavy dilemmas are fun too. A Problem I have is Evil Sims, Or sims who hate Children, aren't convincing to me.
    I want Sass, Unapologetic and very honest about themselves with no shame and aware that they're evil and they revel in someone else's misery.
    the Sims doesn't do that.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Don't go mature, literally just give us back what we had in Sims 1 & 2, a fun, lighthearted game with the occasional raunchy element, without it being too "stimulating" or whatever. I mean, Sims 1 had caged dancers and vibrating heart beds, and not too many people seemed to take issue with that. The world overall was still a (mostly) innocent one, and everything was equal, so what's the big deal of just going back to that? Even some of the woohoo or even make-out animations from Sims 2, they're nothing over-the-top but Sims 4 would NEVER because heavens forbid two fictional people get more passionate than a peck on the lips 🙄

The problem is not the rating at all, but the sanitization of anything even remotely off-color (and I wouldn't even call it so by my own standards but clearly EA disagrees...). The problem isn't the teen rating, but that they're trying to pander this game to children, when such a sizable portion of the existing fanbase is well into adulthood, and older. The problem is that they think Sims players (or the "ideal" Sims player I suppose) can't handle not even mature content, but mere allusions to mature content.

If Sims 5 went M, I'd definitely side-eye it and not really know what to think, but if it continues on this trend of making everything as "family friendly" as possible, HARD PASS 👀
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited August 2019
    I do think anything above a T rating should be DLC-only, and that DLC shouldn't contain much or anything that more family-friendly players would want.

Like if they want to release a Wicked-Whims-But-Official DLC (Get F***ed? lol), or Basemental-But-Official (Get Wrecked?) not sure I'd buy it because my style of gameplay doesn't call for it, but I am sure it'd sell like hotcakes and I have no problem with it existing and EA making money off of it and people who want it getting to incorporate that into their game. What would stink is if the cutest hair or clothes or furniture in the game was also behind that paywall.

Whether they do so with Sims 4 or Sims 5, if they DO ever go M for Mature, it should be entirely optional and skippable DLC, and anything with that DLC that isn't M for Mature should be available in a cheaper T-for-Teen Stuff Pack DLC.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I don't see any need for TS4 for go above T rating, it would just be nice if it was closer to it and moved away somewhat for an E rating. However, I think it seems clear the team are catering more and more for a younger audience and don't care about their adult players.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    NO!Absolutely NOT.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    All I want is the option for the game to not be so happy happy joy joy. I tried to make two rival gangs using the club system but my imagination can only go so far when they're all smiles and hugs with eachother. :#
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    I’m not too sure why people are still beating the dead horse in blaming the ESRB for TS4's neutered content. It reminds me of when WWE went PG (at least for American TV broadcast anyway), the common knee-jerk reaction was in form of blaming the TV-PG rating, despite the fact that the PG rating really wasn't an uncommon sight back then, even during the WWE's Attitude era where it featured more adult-oriented content. Hell, SmackDown was PG ever since its inception back in 1999. Other people criticised the WWE for making the show more family-friendly ever since 2008, which I personally find is more logical.

If anything, WWE's PG detractors and TS4's T-rating detractors are more or less climbing up the same tree. People kept blaming the T rating for TS4 despite the fact that the previous games featured more ‘family-unfriendly’ content yet obtained the same rating. Others suspected that the devs made TS4 cater to a younger demographic, unintentionally alienating the older part of the fanbase.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I feel like the T rating has changed a lot It has become a lot more sheltered and stricter. I personally feel the Sims is too vanilla, which is why I turned to mods to make it more grown up, like call Woohoo, Nectar, and Plasma what they actually are! My sims don't get Flirty or very Flirty, They get Lustful and Passionate, They don't get "Very Sad" or "Very Angry" they get "Depressed" And "Furious." I think they should add more darker tones so when a Sim is Happy, it's actually meaningful. Like I get keeping the game light hearted and positive, but Negative and heavy dilemmas are fun too. A Problem I have is Evil Sims, Or sims who hate Children, aren't convincing to me.
    I want Sass, Unapologetic and very honest about themselves with no shame and aware that they're evil and they revel in someone else's misery.
    the Sims doesn't do that.

I agree, why do they think there are so many mods out there, because people are so happy with the childishness? If they want T for teen people have sims4, sims3 etc. Why can't we have something more mature?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    T Rating is good enough. I'm middle age and still like games & shows to be clean.
  • Options
    Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    T was good enough for 2 and 3 and those games were full of a lot of cool scenarios. Sims 4 doesn't really seem to take full advantage of the T rating I believe.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    T was good enough for 2 and 3 and those games were full of a lot of cool scenarios. Sims 4 doesn't really seem to take full advantage of the T rating I believe.

To me this is exactly it. TS4 is bland, the official rating may be T but the actuality is U. I don't want it to go 18, I want it to be teen. However I think the world in general has become more puritan and the US has always seemed to be stricter than we are in Europe. TS4 is fun, but it could be just a bit edgier and still come nowhere near breaking the rating guidelines for T. I don't want it to be explicit, smoking, getting drunk etc can stay as mods as far as I am concerned. But it would be nice for them to actually feel, have preferences for all sorts of things, just generally seem more alive.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Nope. Not that there's anything wrong with content that's rated above T but I think the base game and packs don't need to have content that's explicitly for adolts only. (and I'm by no means in the "think of the children" group that I see around the internet trying to water down everything, block and erase mature content from everywhere etc)

There are things that can still be included under the T rating and the fact that TS4 doesn't have them has nothing to do with the rating's restrictions. That said, as of now, while I see and understand what others are missing that would still fit within the boundaries of the T rating, they're not things I particularly miss in the game.
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I mean...we had strippers coming out of cakes in sims1 and it was still rated T. The rating can stay, but I would like them to edge up the content in sims5 within that rating.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019
    If I remember rightly, 'The Sims' had a some Simmers making some very adult stuff on their websites for it and I would prefer Sims 4 to remain at Teen level and leave it to those who want such mods and cc to get it themselves.

7 Deadly Sims was as far as I would go then, based on Pride, gluttony etc., nothing bad! If you can still play Sims 1 and could use the objects on your PC it's here. http://7deadlysims.com/sds
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited August 2019
    Deleted.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Please, no. I want to be allowed to play the game.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Definition of the ratings:-

Titles rated T (Teen) have content that is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that is generally suitable for ages 10 and up. May contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

I'd just like the game to be actually T for Teen as rated instead of E for Everyone, as it seems to me.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I agree with a lot of others here I dont want it to be explicit but it's the little things that make it a bit too childish. And I am quite childish myself .
    Like one thing that bothers me is when I'm trying to imagine an evil vampire biting its victims. Then the victim falls to the floor with his butt in the air. It just looks so goofy it breaks the immersion. I just want them to fall like normal people.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I like the present rating - I just think the devs need less childish silliness - not a higher rating - as it would be unfair to a whole lot of people who presently play as well as all those who would want to play from watching their parents play. Over half the people in my family who play the Sims started playing as early as 11. The game is quite popular with pre-teens and teens - as most of simmers know - seeing many now say they were those ages when they started.

Why alienate all those people?

Then, more than request than TS4 maintain T rating, would be desiderable than Origin has not parental control
    After all, who avoid play a M or A game if your account say you are T?
    Origin parental control
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    I like the present rating - I just think the devs need less childish silliness - not a higher rating - as it would be unfair to a whole lot of people who presently play as well as all those who would want to play from watching their parents play. Over half the people in my family who play the Sims started playing as early as 11. The game is quite popular with pre-teens and teens - as most of simmers know - seeing many now say they were those ages when they started.

Then, more than request than TS4 maintain T rating, would be desiderable than Origin has not parental control
    Origin parental control

So you would be happy knowing young people under 18 who had been playing the game for several years could no longer play it because they changed the rating. As that is what would happen. Several of my family members have their games under their parents account because they are not 18 yet. They cannot go to games rated M at all on those accounts even though their parents can. So there is parental control on Origin.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited August 2019
    leo3487 wrote: »

Origin parental control

So you would be happy knowing young people under 18 who had been playing the game for several years could no longer play it because they changed the rating. As that is what would happen. Several of my family members have their games under their parents account because they are not 18 yet. They cannot go to games rated M at all on those accounts even though their parents can. So there is parental control on Origin.

Ok, you replied before I can edit (but I will no edit, else reply now)
    With T rating, there are options than cant be added to the game
    Then the better way to other players still can play, would be if origin parental controls can accept exceptions so your parents allow you play TS5

After all, ESRB rating is to guide opinions, no a police