Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is spellcaster?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    In the movies of Harry Potter the character Hermaine was a female Wizard.

In the books they said she was a witch... Which was the same thing in them.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    I prefer it if any sim can learn magic and become a Spellcaster, like in Sims 1's Makin' Magic, rather than it being locked to a life state like it was in Sims 3. That way my immortal vampire that owns all of the real estate can also have immense power at the same time...

WE GONNA RULE THE SIM WORLD!!

@Sheepiling I'm with you on this! I too have a specific vampire sim in one of my games that I really want to also be a sorcerer. :naughty: I am hoping that the spellcasting will be learnable by any type of sim, and not just humans. This pack looks awesome to me from what was shown so far.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    mika wrote: »
    spellcaster = magic user.

Yep. And far be it from me to question our lord and savior Gary Gygax, but spellcaster is a much better term than the accurate but ever-so-lame magic user. That's probably why they changed to Wizard in 1st Edition.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I prefer it if any sim can learn magic and become a Spellcaster, like in Sims 1's Makin' Magic, rather than it being locked to a life state like it was in Sims 3. That way my immortal vampire that owns all of the real estate can also have immense power at the same time...

@Sheepiling I'm with you on this! I too have a specific vampire sim in one of my games that I really want to also be a sorcerer. :naughty: I am hoping that the spellcasting will be learnable by any type of sim, and not just humans. This pack looks awesome to me from what was shown so far.

I thought the gurus said that a vampire can't be a spellcaster.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    Seems to be that "spellaster" is a gender-neutral term for witches. Call them whatever you want in your own game.
    Simanite wrote: »
    A gender neutral term for a witch.

Witch is ALREADY gender neutral so that's incorrect.

(People commonly mistake warlock and wizard as male counterparts for witches. This is incorrect. Warlocks, wizards and witches are all completely different things.)

A witch is already gender neutral. A warlock literally translates to traitor or oath breaker. They typically are evil because they betrayed their coven or sold their souls to a demon or other being in exchange for greater power. Warlocks typically started out as witches.

However you can still be an evil witch and not be classified as a warlock.

Wizards on the other hand are typically mortal or have a connection to magic, but undergo intense training and study for decades to hone their craft. In some lore they combine science with magic.

Spellcaster is just a generic term for anyone who uses magic.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited August 2019
    Seems to be that "spellaster" is a gender-neutral term for witches. Call them whatever you want in your own game.

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun
    a woman thought to have magic powers, especially evil ones, popularly depicted as wearing a black cloak and pointed hat and flying on a broomstick

Men can't be witches, but they can be warlocks or wizards.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun
    a woman thought to have magic powers, especially evil ones, popularly depicted as wearing a black cloak and pointed hat and flying on a broomstick

oh how do you explain that back in the 1600s in Salem there were MALES accused of being WITCHES (Not warlocks, wizards)? One so-called male WITCH was crushed to death because he refused to confess.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun

I actually edited my comment since you quoted, but that is incorrect. Witch is gender neutral.

Warlocks and wizards are completely different things.

It was only until recently they started calling male witches to be wizards or warlocks. jk Rowling helped with that a lot and Harry Potter.

But there is no changing the fact that the world warlock literally translated to betrayer, oath breaker etc.

Also keep in mind, that although a lot of it is fantasy and lore, a lot of it is based off paganism, which is an actual religion, and most pagans refer to themselves as witches, whether male or female.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited August 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun

oh how do you explain that back in the 1600s in Salem there were MALES accused of being WITCHES (Not warlocks, wizards)? One so-called male WITCH was crushed to death because he refused to confess.

1. The majority accused and killed were women.
    2. Witches aren't real, anyway (at least not the magical kind).
    3. People have been wrong about many things, just like they were wrong about those people being witches...

It's not that deep. The correct term for a male witch is a warlock. You wouldn't call a male movie star an actress.
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun

1. The majority accused and killed were women.
    2. Witches aren't real, anyway (at least not the magical kind).
    3. People have been wrong about many things, just like they were wrong about those people being witches...

It's not that deep. The correct term for a male witch is a warlock. You wouldn't call a male movie star an actress.

"The Middle English word wicche did not differentiate between feminine and masculine, however the masculine meaning became less common in Standard English, being replaced by words like "wizard" and "warlock". The modern spelling witch with the medial 't' first appears in the 16th century. In current colloquial English "witch" is almost exclusively applied to women, and the OED has "now only dialectal" for the masculine noun."

Like I said, warlock and wizard being male names is only recent. So you wouldn't be entirely incorrect, but most people who study lore etc recgonize the fact it was always gender neutral.

Again, you can't change the fact that warlock literally means oath breaker. It is a very bad title.
  • Options
    The most commonly accepted etymology derives warlock from the Old English wǣrloga meaning "oathbreaker" or "deceiver".[2] In early modern Scots, the word came to be used as the male equivalent of witch (which can be male or female, but is used predominantly for females).[3][4][5] From this use, the word passed into Romantic literature and ultimately 20th-century popular culture.

Straight from wikipedia.
  • Options

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun

I actually edited my comment since you quoted, but that is incorrect. Witch is gender neutral.

It was only until recently they started calling male witches to be wizards or warlocks. jk Rowling helped with that a lot and Harry Potter.

But there is no changing the fact that the world warlock literally translated to betrayer, oath breaker etc.

Also keep in mind, that although a lot of it is fantasy and lore, a lot of it is based off paganism, which is an actual religion, and most pagans refer to themselves as witches, whether male or female.

I think it depends where you are from. My grandma taught me that warlocks were male witches and she taught me that many years before Harry Potter was written. She learned it growing up in England though in the 1930s. She said that's how they were depicted when she was a child and taught me when I was one.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun

I think it depends where you are from. My grandma taught me that warlocks were male witches and she taught me that many years before Harry Potter was written. She learned it growing up in England though in the 1930s. She said that's how they were depicted when she was a child and taught me when I was one.

It really depends and there are no right or wrong answers in modern society.

Witch has always been gender neutral and still is, lately warlock HAS become known as a male counterpart, but it's origins were never intended that way. Witch would still be appropriate for males if you so preferred

Wizard as a male counterpart has been hugely pushed by Harry Potter though.
  • Options

Sorry, but no.

witch
    /wiCH/
    noun

It really depends and there are no right or wrong answers in modern society.

Witch has always been gender neutral and still is, lately warlock HAS become known as a male counterpart, but it's origins were never intended that way.

Wizard as a male counterpart has been hugely pushed by Harry Potter though.

Yeah she had always said wizard was different. I remember when the first Harry Potter book came out she read it and said it "wrong because male witches were warlocks not wizards". Not saying she was right either.. Just that that's how they were described when and where she grew up. I wouldn't try to argue what's correct or not as I am not into them and would have know clue haha
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Historically, in Salem, MA (and the New England area in general), it's true that all of the accused of witchcraft were referred to as "witches", even the men. Giles Corey was the most famous "male witch" (who wasn't actually a witch at all, none of them were) who was pressed to death with heavy stones because he refused to confess.

Not only this, but even currently, the pagan witch religion that is very active in Salem (and beyond) recognizes males as "witches" to this day.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2019
    fullspiral wrote: »

Mark my words, I will prove this wrong 👀

@LiELF male witch, can confirm
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

@fullspiral Yeah... I had not seen that before I posted. Disappointing.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    MindofyMindofy Posts: 313 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    Seems like I just don't get it! Witches are life states not an unseparate life state as a spellcaster. What is a spellcaster anyway?

Is spellcaster like a witch, a fairy, or both?

The gurus said they used the term spellcaster for the new life state so that they wouldn't have to box in specifics on certain magical beings. The new sims are not witches, wizards, etc... They are simply spellcasters, sims who can do magic.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member

Yeah it's like 3 and 2 it's a lifestate.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players