Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic: will they listen?

Like many simmers here, I've been waiting for a Supernatural pack, forever. I even made multiple posts about what we need in the pack. Same for general ideas.
(General https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/953652/what-we-want-to-see-in-2019/p1 )
(Worlds https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/962815/i-dream-of-worlds-2019-goals#latest )
(Supernatural https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/947085/ideas-for-a-new-supes-pack#latest )

Some of that seemed like they took our ideas on notice. But they've been giving us more things that we never asked for. Like oddly controlling stories in CAS, recolors of things we already paid for, the rebranding.

I'm a bit concerned that they're gonna just do whatever they want with RoM, and leave us all very disappointed.

What do you guys think? What do you think needs to be in it? What do you think they'll actually give us.
Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:

Realm of Magic: will they listen? 82 votes

They listened and will deliver
8%
simfriend1968KalaniCoolsimmietimeHillyBethAuronoiChieftainnerdfashionPrink34320V2 7 votes
They sort of listened, and we're getting Supes like we got CAS stories
9%
DJQ1308taydevSigzy05happygurlScobresimms745NoName123CrazyCatMeawn 8 votes
They've ignored us before, but it might be a pleasant surprise
32%
GRIMMYrudy8292neutralsidebandit5EvilWitch83LustianiciabloodydarkanglSakuske1Loves2draw1812MasonGamermikalinkinsenpaisilentcyborgEvilyn_1007simsonthemoonlogionTodilooEvalyn326SERVERFRATheIntrovertSimmer 27 votes
We're screwed
17%
mock68CinebarKaeChan2089wormstache999pammiechickcatitude5SavvySimmieChadSims2Vivi_WillowTreeItsJanierLordOfTendonsJPNekoTerrahnortWaitWhatYT 14 votes
Other (and I'll explain below)
31%
IceyJPlayerSinger2010Isb917IrdiwenMariefoxprice83luthienrisingashcrash19elelunicyCAITLINX354IvyeyedEnkiSchmidtdoedearSimTrippypoltergeistSimDestroyerThemadman152RememberJoyTomasGrizzlyRobinGreenthumbLquinn 26 votes

Comments

• Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Given that this is a very highly-requested pack, I'd like to think that they'd have paid attention to their users more. I'm hoping to remain optimistic atm. We'll have to hold out and see what the trailers/livestreams bring.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I have no basis for comparison to the previous iterations of magic in the Sims.

I know that what I do expect is not what other people expect, and what I hope for is not what other people hope for. I know there are some suggestions out there that I really hope they did not listen to (pretty much anything that was over complicated and detailed, or that mimicked some other magic media too closely (i.e. Harry Potter knockoffs)). And there are others that I hope they did. (Anything that allowed for variable types of magic, like different elemental types or branching spell progression.)

What are we going to get? probably not everything I want. Certainly not what everyone wants - because everyone wants something slightly different. (I mean, the magic system I really want is more or less impossible within any computer game, because there are just too many variables for a program to handle it.) I just hope that it's close enough for enough people - and that doesn't have to include me.

• Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Everyone wants something else. There’s no catering to all that’s being said here on the forums. I’m just going to wait and see.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Sorry who is this “we” you speak of? I didn’t realize we’re all the same people and we all want the same thing.

TS4 has like 20 million players. They’re making the best game for the entire player base. Their priority is never listening to what a vocal minority on the forums want.

I didn't realize that rebranding was something people wanted....people have been asking to have University,and we get a pointless rebranding. I've seen a lot of people who want game-breaking bugs fixed,and we et a Moschino pack instead. EA
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    As I was saying when my copmuter glitched: EA's priority is to listen to EVERYONE,not giving us a rebranding or a fashion/photography pack. Nobody asked for those. It seems like EA is giving us stuff THEY think is cool,not stuff players want...Sims 4 has become "EA creates,EA controls and EA rules."
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2019
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Sorry who is this “we” you speak of? I didn’t realize we’re all the same people and we all want the same thing.

TS4 has like 20 million players. They’re making the best game for the entire player base. Their priority is never listening to what a vocal minority on the forums want.

I didn't realize that rebranding was something people wanted....people have been asking to have University,and we get a pointless rebranding. I've seen a lot of people who want game-breaking bugs fixed,and we et a Moschino pack instead. EA

Rebranding is not done within Maxis; it's done by EA marketing. And since when is their job to make only what we ask them to make? I'm not a game designer, just a consumer of games. I don't tell movie makers what to make or clothes designers what to make me. Why should I think that game designers aren't supposed to also actually create?

As to "Will they listen", I assume that a basic part of starting out a concept is to look at previous feedback. I also know that "listening" does not actually mean "doing what they're told to do by the speaker". Will they listen? Sure. But that might not mean what you think it ought to mean.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    As I was saying when my copmuter glitched: EA's priority is to listen to EVERYONE,not giving us a rebranding or a fashion/photography pack. Nobody asked for those. It seems like EA is giving us stuff THEY think is cool,not stuff players want...Sims 4 has become "EA creates,EA controls and EA rules."

You have no idea what everyone wants. The vast majority of player do not participate in the online discussion of the game in any way whatsoever. It’s laughable to assume nobody wants something just because you’ve never seen anyone requesting it.

EA themselves, however, have access to things like past sales data of which packs sold the best/worst, and telemetry data of how everyone plays their game. They also hire research firms to study market trends, do feature testing through focus groups, etc. They know what the players want far, far better than you do.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I think it's going to be a creative twist from past games. The portal may take us somewhere somewhat like magic town in TS1. I'm not sure if they will have the power tree like vampires--I personally hope so but they may make it a skill. Even for Supernatural stuff, people have had varying opinions on what they'd like to see. I overall just hope it does the theme realm of magic justice, as I've been waiting for this type of pack for the past few years.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I think they have listened but since everyone who wants supernatural/magic stuff probably wants something slightly different, they can't possibly please all of us.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    So long as magic is contained ONLY to a witch/sorcerer life state, I'll be happy. The rest of it is just a bonus.

Honestly, there are too many ideas for this pack, they can't use them all AND make everyone happy. There are many ideas for a magic pack that I saw floating around that I don't want in my game.
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    I mean, I for one love the CAS stories feature? And it really isn’t that restrictive once you get past CAS. It’s a fun little addition to spice things up when making new sims.

And they also made the Vampire and Mermaid appearances linkable in the same patch! Which is AMAZING and I’ve wanted forever.

But regardless, I’m approaching realm of magic with high hopes that I’m desperately trying to wrangle to realism. Would I die of happiness if they gave us fairies AND witches AND werewolves? Yes. Yes I would. But more likely we are getting just witches. And a whole new world with some AWESOME CAS and build/buy items and a new magic skill, bare minimum. (At least from the screenies they have already released they are exceeding my expectations on that front).

Now, do I tentatively hope and think they MIGHT give us fairies, and some form of genies, too? Yes. But considering this is already looking more developed than the vampire stuff pack I won’t be too bummed if we don’t get them.

Honestly, I’ll only be bummed if they just make magic a skill with only one branch and don’t give witches the in depth take similar to vampires. I was fine with mermaids being fairly simple- they don’t have the wild variance in powers and myths like vampires do- but witches absolutely need something like different branches of magic or different types of magic skills. However, I would forgive this if they did both witches and fairies and if the usable items were nice enough.
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    I definitely want to see the trailer tomorrow. Not sure what I am expecting, but can't wait to see what we'll get!
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I have no idea but hot 🐸🐸🐸🐸 I'm excited. I can't wait for tomorrow, this is the only thing I was really left wanting - besides seasons but we got that out of the way <3
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I agree with most of the comments on here so far. There will be disappointed people no matter what they give us. I did a poll awhile back asking whether people wanted magic as a skill or lifestate, and while the results leaned towards lifestate, there was a large minority who want it as a skill. There is no way they will be able to satisfy all of (the very high) expectations people have put on this pack.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I think there are many groups with different expectations and satisfying them all won't be possible. Focusing on one supernatural gives a better chance they'll be well-developed. A new town is also nice, though it'll depend on more aspects.
    Heck, I don't even know what I'd like the pack to be like.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    We're screwed
    If it's anything like the island pack, I would say we're screwed. Why change the habit of a lifetime?
    Sims 4 has been really disappointing for me.
    Sims 3 was far better, better game play, more to do and even the sims themselves looked better and I loved the sims 3 store.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt... however, I'm also gonna try not getting my hopes too high. I've done that before (several times) and often ended up being disappointed. I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is keep expectations as low as possible... that way, even the smallest detail will seem like a huge awesome surprise (as sad as that is).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    If my boy Torch is back, I just might take back everything bad I've ever said about Sims 4.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2019
    hmm I'm feeling like its probably
    90% things no one talked about and sims team just thought would be cool to make for game
    10% ''oh wait this is what people talk about on forums??? why didn't we think of this'' small additions

I don't think its going to be ''forum perfect'' pack
    but I do feel it could still be cool though in its own way
    just hope that 10% is spicy and they didn't go too one genre
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    They sort of listened, and we're getting Supes like we got CAS stories
    I don't know. EAxis is avid in delivering disappointing content, or where something is lacking, or just riddled with bugs. Let's hope none of the above.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I doubt if many Simmers on Origin realise they are sending their playing profiles back to EA. You have to delete the tick against it and lots don't even bother to look, so Maxis must have a better idea of what Simmers want than we do on the Forum. All of ours are singular personal preferences but we are in the vast minority.
  • Options
    jacechujacechu Posts: 87 Member
    I really wish people would stop with this "what we want" entitlement. And no, I don't think Sims 4 is perfect, nor do I believe that the team who works on it are above criticism, but it's clear that the game is not finished and is still growing and expanding. Yes, I'm aware that it's been out 5 years. But it's still not complete and not MEANT to be complete yet. I feel like a lot of these people who are talking about "I desperately need x, it's been years, this game is incomplete" don't realize The Sims 4 is NOT being marketed as a complete game yet! Even if you choose to ignore all that, you can't ignore the fact that players of this game are diverse and want completely different things, so you do not get to lump all people who play this game together.
    Sims YouTube
    Twitter
    Gallery ID: jacechu06
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    They listened and will deliver
    I have high hopes for this pack, and I am an optimistic person in general, so I am willing to bet it will be as good as we hoped. When I heard Vampires was coming out, I could think of a dozen things I wanted, and aspects of vampires from previous games that I had liked (as well as improvements that I was hoping for). Even still, when the pack was finally released, it surpassed all of my expectations, in every area. I still enjoy it: I love the CAS, and think the vampires look cool and have the neatest powers. I love the customization possibilities and the power tree and even the small, overcast neighborhood. I have 3 vampire families in my game at the moment. So even though I could think of a million things that I want from a magic pack I remain hopeful that they will still manage to surprise and delight me with how they implement it. I think that will be true even if they leave out elements that I would like (such as magic for kids, which I actually doubt that we will get. If we do get it, it will be the cherry on top of a delicious cake).