Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA`s in-game store access plan...does anyone actually want it?

Comments

• Options
    7hir7een7hir7een Posts: 145 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I do not want it at all. I don't enjoy when offline games like The Sims try to require you to have an internet connection. It just makes me feel icky. Who knows what they could be looking at on your harddrive, besides the game's own files?

And I'm sure the button is going to be in an inconvenient place, so it gets clicked accidentally.

I'm sure it'll slow the game down epically also.

And make it difficult for mods to be made.
  • Options
    FAN132FAN132 Posts: 16 New Member
    edited December 2009

this is probably the way internet marketing for games will be going. Using in-game plugins to lure us into buying add ons directly into the game. I agree the store is a ripoff, the points needed for one item is ridiculous, and a group of items can cost nearly 1000 points? Thats just greed on the publisher. I didnt mind paying 25 or so bucks for an expansion pack for sims2 if it interested me. But paying individually for each item? Not me. I only got from the store what I could redeem my free points for. They may even, as has been mentioned, have adverts in the game for their own sellable stuff, with a 'buy it now' button.
  • Options
    MykalaplyMykalaply Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited December 2009
    Ea can block me from their website when they read my post but I am researching this legally to see if they have the right to do this,
  • Options
    JillieLunaJillieLuna Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2009
    at first i thought it was a good idea. then i remembered that i can't stand the idea of the store. what i wish they would do is add that, not just for the store, but also for the most popular CC sites. i know they probably wouldn't, but it would be really convenient to be able to DL some new hair & houses while in the game. i wonder if they'll add it for the exchange?

i think it should be an option. if it isn't, i won't update. & if they force it in the next EP, well, maybe i just won't get it (or, i'll wait until someone finds a way around it).

don't fear simmers, there will always be a way to get from under the control of the oppressors! (i am serious about that. someone will always find a way to get around these EA things)
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2009
    I don't want it. I would personally find it rather useless. When i'm playing, I want to look after my sims, not go shopping online at their store. If I want to do that, I will go and browse when I'm done playing, rather than just let sims 3 run in the background sucking up system resources while I am shopping.

I would rather they had put their efforts into fixing the bugs and glitches first off, and then adding things back such as slow dancing , which I really miss. How can you have a wedding waltz when the only dance animations your sims currently have are mad arm flying, leg kicking, back breaking hyper dance?
    I would rather have my sims be able to go back to pinching their significant other on the bum, or the cute dance kiss we got in S2.
    Hot tubs, a drum kit, A PIANO, a real wedding arch..
    I would find all those things much more useful and far more enjoyable than a pointless button to shop online which I wont even use, and would probably only add more bugs and weirdness to the game.

I wish EA would actually start listening to what players want, rather than assuming they know what we want, or whats best for us ( or rather, themselves )
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    TijnbeestjeTijnbeestje Posts: 8
    edited December 2009
    Hm, I don't think I've heard anyone say they wanted this in the game. It's a very clear marketing scheme, one that probably cost some money to develope, and I really wonder if EA knows it's customers. Hardcore fans of the genre are clearly not counting on buying mediocre overpriced objects that can be modded in anyway.

Plus don't these people know there is a crisis on? I mean, I don't have money in real life to buy a mediocre new couch, let alone in a GAME.

I know one thing: if my Sims start displaying the 'want' to buy stuff from this 'real' store, I will generate a real life 'want' to deinstall this game and never touch it again 8) :roll:

And then I'll just go back to Sims 2 and not be bothered by it :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Missaaliyah812Missaaliyah812 Posts: 618 Member
    edited December 2009
    If we can add store items within game, why not the exchange as well, that would have been so much better.
  • Options
    Tony89Tony89 Posts: 2,196 Member
    edited December 2009
    YES I DO!
  • Options
    CeitidhCeitidh Posts: 58 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I dont want the ability to buy from the store when playing. Let me go shopping with my sims first (properly - not standing outside) and then maybe I will think about it !
  • Options
    AndijvieAndijvie Posts: 512 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I don't want it... I mean; I know I'm not going to use the option to buy stuff from the store from inside the game, I truly hope the option will not interfere with the game in any way. I absolutely do not want EA to check how I am playing the game and what items I use, but I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do that without my permission. I don't think EA's going to demand that players are connected to the internet while playing; still a lot of players don't have a unlimited internet connection or just don't want to be online while playing.

I hope the upcoming patch will also fix some bugs and not just add an option I'll never use.
  • Options
    TzmsimsTzmsims Posts: 126 Member
    edited December 2009
    I have played a few games that incorporate online content in-game and it's really not that bad. For example, Dragon Age Origins allows you to buy extra missions if you speak to certain characters in the game. If you don't want the online content, you just don't talk to them.

This really shouldn't effect too many Sim fans unless EA gets disgusting with it's advertising in-game with banners and popups. If it's too distracting then people will turn the game off and EA will cry.

• Options
    judithmgallowayjudithmgalloway Posts: 104 Member
    edited December 2009
    Andijvie wrote:
    I absolutely do not want EA to check how I am playing the game and what items I use, but I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do that without my permission.

You need to read the EULA. It says:

4. Consent to Collection and Use of Data. To facilitate the provision of software updates; dynamically served content including advertising; product support; and online services to you, you agree that EA and its affiliates may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (such as Internet Protocol Address and hardware identification), operating system, and application software and peripheral hardware, and non-personally identifiable game play and software usage statistics, without further notice to you. EA and its affiliates may also use this information in the aggregate, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share anonymous aggregate data with our third party service providers.

The important bit is: "...you agree that EA and its affiliates may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer... without further notice to you."

And basically, if you've installed S3, you've agreed to the above. We all have. :)

Oh, and just in general, while I'm here, regarding my post on page 4, I found the bit about in-game advertising:

E. IGA Worldwide Technology. This game incorporates dynamic advertisement serving technology offered by IGA Worldwide Inc. (“IGA Technology”), which enables advertising to be temporarily uploaded into the game on your PC or console, and replaced while you are online. IGA Technology only logs information that is needed to measure presentation of advertising, and to serve advertising to the appropriate geographic region and to the right location within the game. Logged data may include Internet Protocol Address (“IP Address”), in game location, length of time an advertisement was visible, size of the advertisements, and angle of view. The IP Address is deleted when the online game session ends. Your game may be assigned an id number, which is stored on your PC or console, and used by IGA Technology to calculate the number of unique and repeat views of dynamic in game advertising. The id number is not associated with any personal data. No logged information is used to personally identify you. This ad serving technology is integrated into the game; if you do not want to use this technology, do not play the game while connected to the Internet. For more information see our privacy policy at privacy.ea.com.

Interesting: "...if you do not want to use this technology, do not play the game while connected to the Internet."

Er... but how will we use the new in-game Store function, then? Oh, we have to connect to the internet. Silly me.

I'm sure I mentioned *cough* spyware *cough* before. Hey ho.
  • Options
    AndijvieAndijvie Posts: 512 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Statistics are fine with me, but I don't want them tracking my game (and they don't, they only track what system you're on and how often you launch the game and how long you play and what errors may occur, they don't track how often I buy a certain couch or how often I call my sims Pete).
  • Options
    worsiedogworsiedog Posts: 376 Member
    edited December 2009
    Tzmsims wrote:
    I have played a few games that incorporate online content in-game and it's really not that bad. For example, Dragon Age Origins allows you to buy extra missions if you speak to certain characters in the game. If you don't want the online content, you just don't talk to them.

This really shouldn't effect too many Sim fans unless EA gets disgusting with it's advertising in-game with banners and popups. If it's too distracting then people will turn the game off and EA will cry.

I know this is OT but did you really 'off' all those sims? :shock:
  • Options
    ArchimedesMinorArchimedesMinor Posts: 426 Member
    edited December 2009
    No thankyou. I'd rather have all the bugs and annoying glitches in the game to be fixed, I've only just made my game playable and I wouldn't want anything otherwise to break it again.
  • Options
    SilentResidentSilentResident Posts: 556 New Member
    edited December 2009
    EA you pushed this so far!

I am going to toss the game "The Sims 3" to the trash and I am gonna stop buying other EA products in the future.

I was already so disappointed and the news that EA plans to add in-game Store, instead of focusing to fix this unplayable-full-of-bugs game, make me rage even further.

EA you are on wrong way!!!

DONT WASTE TIME WITH STORE! THE GAME BEGS FOR SERIOUS BUG FIXES!

You lost our trust! And you are losing customers this way!

With this you add the final tombstone to the Sims 3's future!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited December 2009
    No, I don't see it as a bad idea because other companies do it. However I hardly use the store unless EA gives me a coupon. It is their program and they have the right to do what they please with it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited December 2009
    Uronka wrote:
    It's not needed! ...When will companies realise this!

The web store has been up for ages and we know where to find it if we want something but they still insist on pushing it further down our throats.

EA are first an advertising company it would seem and I'd put money on it's games becoming known as nothing more than interactive commercial breaks in the near future. :roll:

It's not just the games though either, look at the way Youtube is getting for example... Bet not many saw that coming and it's only going to get worse. :evil:

Actually other games does it and it is doing well. A lot of people against the store since it came out and it is still here. Scenario EA could close the store and do not make EA CC anymore and then the customer can rely on custom made CC(which is not a bad idea) Do I care if a store in place, No not really, but I am not against it because we are a capitialist country and it is all about the benjamins. :mrgreen:
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SaliraSalira Posts: 66 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm with Goldmoldar, I'm not upset about this feature, it's EA's right to put whatever they want in their game. However, I don't think it's a terribly clever or useful addition to the game, and I don't forsee many people actually using it.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited December 2009
    I think everyone can agree regardless of whether they like the idea or not (I've already made my stance on the whole idea quite clear so I'll save it) that EA should not be wasting their time on this when there are game-breaking issues that were caused by their own patch.
  • Options
    TzmsimsTzmsims Posts: 126 Member
    edited December 2009
    worsiedog wrote:
    I know this is OT but did you really 'off' all those sims? :shock:

Lol. Yes, Worsiedog, my death toll is rather high. I was trying to make ghost families in my neighborhood and got a little carried away. When I finally figured out how to manage the dead I was shocked at the number of tombstones.

I have ended my death rampage in Riverview though. Now I'm just waiting for the CAW so I can begin my slaughter on another planet! :D
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    edited December 2009
    I think this is the end of the Sims.
    I understand that they are a big company and the idea of a company is to make money,the company should also be making a quality product to make said money.
    I have played hundreds of games over the years and none have been unplayable.This one is.It gets more buggy with every statup.
    I see on these forums how people say all the sims games were buggy & glitchy,
    I NEVER had a problem with any of them.
    I had every sp & ep with both.
    This game is horrible,& instead of fixing it ,EA is worrying about the store & CAW.
  • Options
    playeralyalyweklplayeralyalywekl Posts: 1,345 Member
    edited December 2009
    I don't really think I want this store feature, but I don't know. I might end up actually liking it... :shock:

I just hope that it's a download separate from the update so that I won't have to have it at all. If it's not, it may not make such a difference to me because I sometimes play without an Internet connection anyway. If I do HAVE to have it, I hope that it's not annoyingly intrusive during game play. :x

With or without an Internet connection, I'm concerned about the bugs it might cause. I don't really know how this store feature will work out, but I do know what'll happen if it causes more issues on top of current issues. I'll uninstall my game, throw it in the desk drawer, and save it for a rainy day. :x :( I've already uninstalled, like, ten times. :roll:

But like I said, who knows? I might actually find it a useful feature if I'm required to download it. Some circumstance might come up in game where I want to buy a store item at that moment. I doubt it...but I'm just trying to keep an open mind. :):wink:

• Options
    utterlyunzippedutterlyunzipped Posts: 503 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Not remotely interested in the Store stuff in any form as it is way to expensive!

EA should drop the price of everything by 75% (not just in a sale) and they would get enough new people buying from it to make up the money AND gain a huge amount of support from the Fans.

1,000 points at $10 * 1000 Fans = $10,000
    1,000 points at $2.50 * 4000 Fans = $10,000 plus large scale fan support!

I will bet that they would increase the number of people buying by well over the 400% I've shown above as well due to fan support! If the items we're cheap enough then virtually everybody who buys the game will buy from The Store.

Come on EA, it's common sense!

• Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited December 2009
    If they made new community lots, such as a clothing store, furniture store, and a hair salon, that sims can interact with, it could be better. I would even consider buying something if that were the case.