Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A revamp on recipes and the culinary skills

The same way they revamped the gardening skill and the whole gardening system, I would love a bit of a revamp on the whole feature, also for the team to introduce new recipes that are very common nowadays and would include the newer ingredients if you happen to have whatever pack. For example we should have an avocado toast as a base game recipe and if you have JA you could use the avocados for it.

With the inclusion of new recipes and harvestables with each pack along the years, recipes haven't been updated and are not cohesive nor inclusive.
There are several examples of it like no tuna needed to make a tuna casserole, or the vegetarian bean burrito that came with CL but then when beans were introduced as a harvestable with JA that recipe didn't include them at all.

With Seasons we got green peppers, green beans, and peas but not a single recipe calls for them specifically. Also, I found it was a missed opportunity to not add honey as an ingredient of the ham's grand meal or other recipes. It's a shame that we can only use it for the honey cake and for a drink (as far as I can remember).

In OR we got morel mushrooms but these can only be used for the herbalism skill and in very few recipes (if I remember correctly), which is a shame because they are delicious irl.

In Vampires we got garlic and it would be awesome to have it feature in more recipes (does the garlic noodles recipe even call for them?) since it's such a basic ingredient in most cuisines.

This revamp should also have vegetarian sims in mind and label the JA recipes correctly as well as making sure at least one vegetarian option is available in each food stall. Sometimes, I would take my vegetarian sims to the city or to a festival and nothing would be suitable for them.

For the baking skill, I would love to be able to bake things without having the ingredients, just paying like the way it works with the normal cooking skill.

I would also like to see more gourmet skill recipes in the future.

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions regarding this? Do you pay attention to this at all?
It's personally one of my favourite features and I would love to see it improved and revamped.
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I do love cooking and, to be honest, I would have preferred the sims to have to grocery shop if they didn't have the ingredients. Would be more incentive to grow your own. Also, I think home grown ingredients should give some sort of bonus to the meal (or does it already do this?) I'm remembering the sparkly meals in TS2 which filled sims up enormously if they ate them because of the good ingredients. At the moment, I don't really see much of a reason for growing your own stuff.

Regarding garlic, is there even a single recipe that uses it? My sim grew some garlic and then I just didn't know what to do with it because there only seems to be making anti-vampire stuff.

We do need recipes to be updated, and new ones added. And it would also be so, so good to have TS2 juicer back.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2018
    I do love cooking and, to be honest, I would have preferred the sims to have to grocery shop if they didn't have the ingredients. Would be more incentive to grow your own. Also, I think home grown ingredients should give some sort of bonus to the meal (or does it already do this?) I'm remembering the sparkly meals in TS2 which filled sims up enormously if they ate them because of the good ingredients. At the moment, I don't really see much of a reason for growing your own stuff.

Regarding garlic, is there even a single recipe that uses it? My sim grew some garlic and then I just didn't know what to do with it because there only seems to be making anti-vampire stuff.

We do need recipes to be updated, and new ones added. And it would also be so, so good to have TS2 juicer back.

We all would prefer. I wish there was a grocery system in TS4 like on TS2 instead of the magical fridges. With grocery delivery or bought from the venue. I wish sims had to have the ingredients to make food, including milk, eggs, flour, etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

Grocery shopping could be part of the update. Just from the fridge or computer in a non-complicated manner, I think it's totally doable. We already have the produce stalls which are a step in that direction.
    I am not sure there is any recipe specific for garlic but I think you can use it for the recipes that call for "any vegetable".

Yes to the juicer back!!!!!
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I agree. I am tired of the same recipes. My sims have been eating pan seared tilapia and chili until it's coming out of their ears. Oh boy, this thread is making me hungry.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    They ought to bring back classics such as goopy carbonara, autumn salad, and fish and chips.
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    They ought to bring back classics such as goopy carbonara, autumn salad, and fish and chips.

I so agree! I the Goopy Carbanara especially. We do have fish and chips though but it may have come in a pack, I'm not sure. :)
  • Options
    Kim5496 wrote: »

I so agree! I the Goopy Carbanara especially. We do have fish and chips though but it may have come in a pack, I'm not sure. :)

I would love the come back of the Goopy Carbonara a swell!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member

We have garden salad. And fish and chips.

I want English trifle! My all time favourite dessert. And cheesecake. Anyone remember the delicious looking cheesecake from TS2? They made me drool.
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    <snip>
    I want English trifle! My all time favourite dessert. And cheesecake. Anyone remember the delicious looking cheesecake from TS2? They made me drool.

We do have a cheesecake already, it's called Sim City Cheesecake at level 5 of Gourmet cooking skill. I'd agree with the Trifle, my sims would have that after their Sunday roast lamb dish. :smiley:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    CopendraCopendra Posts: 8 New Member
    Definitely more recipes. Even tying it in with various cultures - like having curries and similar dishes more likely to be made in certain areas.

I would also love the introduction of kid's meals at restaurants since Seasons introduced that kids-only card game.
  • Options
    CopendraCopendra Posts: 8 New Member
    Having some "free roam" with recipes and randomly combining things through a system would be pretty great, too.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    foods in general need an overhaul.

i want more and better snacks. Like, yogurt cups they eat from cups, chips eaten from chip bags (who puts them in a bowl to eat???), cookies from a packet, chocolate bars, lollypops, gum. Junk food.

You know, normal stuff people eat that is not on a plate.

I want actual sodas and VENDING MACHINES with ANIMATION--unlike that lazy vending thing from cats and dogs.

It'd be great too if the popcorn bowls were little boxes instead like they use at the movies. It seems like such a shortcut to just use a recolored version of the basegame bowl. lame. it's the same issue with food bought from stalls-- it just comes in a nice clean plate. It should come in a takeout box but the developers are lazy and just keep using the same models and animations.
  • Options
    Copendra wrote: »
    Having some "free roam" with recipes and randomly combining things through a system would be pretty great, too.

That'S really cool. They could make different pastas for example!
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    When you save a Sim, the game fails to record and remember all of the recipes the Sim has learned. In other words, if you have to move your Sim to another save (or just want to save them and start them in another game), the game forgets that your Sim has already learned how to cook all of the CL recipes and you have to get your Sim to relearn them to unlock them all over again. If they were to do an overhaul with cooking and recipes, I would very much like to see it include a fix for that so that your Sim would only have to learn the recipes only once, and remember them forever.

I also think the way foods are stored/accessed need to be revised. Clicking on the fridge brings up too many options, not all of which have to do with refrigerated foods and cooking. Being able to store and access things like cereal and animal crackers in the cabinets would make the menu options on the refrigerator easier to navigate, and cooking in general much easier.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    It bugs me that there is only one vegetarian option for grand meal.
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Omg this would be a great improvement to the cooking skills. Also I know this is small and somewhat relevant, but the older recipes before dine out, don't have updated thumbnails. Always freaking bugs me.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2018
    I hope it's something they plan to update in the future. I'd also love the option to have secret meals that you unlock by mixing and matching ingredients.
  • Options
    BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    The SimGurus did mention something about wanting to add avocado toast in today's Guru Garage. I wish we had more recipes that required produce, along with more recipes in general. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Brindleton wrote: »
    I hope it's something they plan to update in the future. I'd also love the option to have secret meals that you unlock by mixing and matching ingredients.

That would be awesome!
    Edit: It could work like some sort of crafting like we have with plants.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

We already have fish and chips. Stu Surprise would be a good one as well.

The main thing I want is that any time they add a new fruit/vegetable harvestable, there should be at least one new recipe, or current recipes modified to use that new ingredient. We got bell peppers and green beans in Seasons; where are the stuffed peppers and the classic green bean casserole (which could also have onion and mushroom as ingredients)? Why not have black beans as an ingredient in chili if you have Jungle Adventures? If we get a tropical vacation pack and we get pineapples I want pineapple upside down cake. Maybe even the ability to use fruits in some of the mixology recipes when you're doing them at home; you could store the fruits in the bar (similar to storing the flowers in the floral creation station) and have the option to use fresh fruit in your Fizzy Fruity Drinks and such to reduce the cost of making them when you're practicing at home.

They could bring back the recipe books to add pack-specific recipes -- you get the basic recipes by skilling up as now, but the extra recipes could require buying the recipe books specific for a new harvestable. So for JA you could purchase recipe books to learn how to make guacamole or avocado toast. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options

We already have fish and chips. Stu Surprise would be a good one as well.

The main thing I want is that any time they add a new fruit/vegetable harvestable, there should be at least one new recipe, or current recipes modified to use that new ingredient. We got bell peppers and green beans in Seasons; where are the stuffed peppers and the classic green bean casserole (which could also have onion and mushroom as ingredients)? Why not have black beans as an ingredient in chili if you have Jungle Adventures? If we get a tropical vacation pack and we get pineapples I want pineapple upside down cake. Maybe even the ability to use fruits in some of the mixology recipes when you're doing them at home; you could store the fruits in the bar (similar to storing the flowers in the floral creation station) and have the option to use fresh fruit in your Fizzy Fruity Drinks and such to reduce the cost of making them when you're practicing at home.

They could bring back the recipe books to add pack-specific recipes -- you get the basic recipes by skilling up as now, but the extra recipes could require buying the recipe books specific for a new harvestable. So for JA you could purchase recipe books to learn how to make guacamole or avocado toast. B)

That's actually a really good solution.
  • Options
    JaysimsJaysims Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2018
    The main thing I want is that any time they add a new fruit/vegetable harvestable, there should be at least one new recipe, or current recipes modified to use that new ingredient.

YES.

I don’t have Seasons yet but it would’ve been nice if they introduced a grocery store or an open market like the restaurant and retail system where you could buy and sell fresh produce for your recipes.

I agree though, we do need more recipes and food options.

Especially with baking as well!
  • Options
    sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    i think this is a fabulous idea!

id love the recipe books back. they could be improved upon by making them more than one-time use so unlike sims3 you would only need to buy one book and then every sim u ever had could read the same book and learn said recipe. id also be down for a "recipe book" item that is actually a storage unit for recipe books only. this means they could be found easily instead of being put into an actual bookcase and then searching for it. i know we have storage chests but since each chest is linked (last time i tried to use more than one) that doesnt work for me.

we could have a new 'spice rack' item for the spices bought at the festivals that sits on the counter or is small enough to be mounted on a shelf or wall

itd be nice for a grocery/book store where we could by produce if our sim is too lazy or busy to garden and books written by our sims all in one place; recipe books would be a given.

the main reason i want the recipe books back is i love the idea of unlocking the 27 san myshuno dishes, hate that it would then be a little time consuming and annoying to then have to cook 27 different dishes however often to get all my sims knowledgeable about those dishes. if thats too easy then id like our writer sims to be able to write a recipe book of special meals theyve eaten and learned, that other sims can then buy (or make it a played household item only) from the book store as well or give as a gift to bookworm type sims

im always harping on about bringing sims3s skill journal back as it was great for further expanding skills while playing normally. if the cooking skill was improved then i think it would be a golden opportunity to revamp the skills journal and add it back at the same time
  • Options
    The same way they revamped the gardening skill and the whole gardening system, I would love a bit of a revamp on the whole feature, also for the team to introduce new recipes that are very common nowadays and would include the newer ingredients if you happen to have whatever pack. For example we should have an avocado toast as a base game recipe and if you have JA you could use the avocados for it.

With the inclusion of new recipes and harvestables with each pack along the years, recipes haven't been updated and are not cohesive nor inclusive.
    There are several examples of it like no tuna needed to make a tuna casserole, or the vegetarian bean burrito that came with CL but then when beans were introduced as a harvestable with JA that recipe didn't include them at all.

With Seasons we got green peppers, green beans, and peas but not a single recipe calls for them specifically. Also, I found it was a missed opportunity to not add honey as an ingredient of the ham's grand meal or other recipes. It's a shame that we can only use it for the honey cake and for a drink (as far as I can remember).

In OR we got morel mushrooms but these can only be used for the herbalism skill and in very few recipes (if I remember correctly), which is a shame because they are delicious irl.

In Vampires we got garlic and it would be awesome to have it feature in more recipes (does the garlic noodles recipe even call for them?) since it's such a basic ingredient in most cuisines.

This revamp should also have vegetarian sims in mind and label the JA recipes correctly as well as making sure at least one vegetarian option is available in each food stall. Sometimes, I would take my vegetarian sims to the city or to a festival and nothing would be suitable for them.

For the baking skill, I would love to be able to bake things without having the ingredients, just paying like the way it works with the normal cooking skill.

I would also like to see more gourmet skill recipes in the future.

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions regarding this? Do you pay attention to this at all?
    It's personally one of my favourite features and I would love to see it improved and revamped.

Updating this now with the newest EP: Island Living
    With Island Living we get 4 new harvestables: coconut, pineapple, tara root, and kava root.

- Coconuts are specifically called for in only 1 recipe: coconut cake. Coconuts can't even be stored in the fridge at the moment (I assume it's an oversight)
    - Pineapples are only called for specifically in 1 recipe, that can only be cooked in the new pit: Kalua pork
    - Kava is only needed for the kava drink
    - Tara root is only called for specifically in 1 recipe, that can only be cooked in the new pit: island vegetable feast

I really wish for a cooking skills overhaul. They've done some changes in fishing and we got big changes in gardening as well.

Please gurus, make cooking the next big overhauled feature.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I agree, it definitely needs an overhaul, but the way I'd like to see it would require a whole new base game, as I doubt TS4 would revamp something this late to be more in-depth.

IMHO, all cooking recipes should have mandatory ingredients that we must obtain in order to cook. No ingredients = no cooking. This would increase the usefulness of other similar skills, such as fishing/herbalism, and open roads to new skills, such as foraging. The return of the grocery store, as it was in The Sims 2, would be very nice to see as well.

Different dishes should fill the hunger meter differently. If I make my Sim eat cereal, it shouldn't fill them up as much as say, rainbow trout. Certain meals, ones that are maybe harder to cook, should give our Sims useful benefits too, such as being more productive (would increase work XP) or having more energy (would fill the energy bar past the normal full indicator).