Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which do you like more; open world or open venues?

I wish there was a way to combine both.
But I prefer venues

Comments

• Options
    LexalooLexaloo Posts: 20 Member
    I really liked TS4 neighborhoods, but I did like the open world with TS3 too. I just wish the TS4 neighborhoods were open! Instead of seeing other lots and then having to load a screen juust to go to the neighbors.. Why can't the neighborhoods be open?

That way, you would travel to the community lots like you went 'downtown' and then visit each lot.. a lot like in real life where you would have to drive downtown, park, then most of the time, you walk to all the different lots. And in the neighborhood, you walk to your neighbors house if you wanted to visit. This makes more sense to me, and wouldn't be as laggy as having and entire open world.
  • Options
    A8abA8ab Posts: 6 New Member
    I prefer venues being open. I personally never had my sims leave the house much in the Sims 3 despite the open world because so few of the lots were open. I know for some people that they don't have to go everywhere with their sims to enjoy the game but I never liked waiting outside a building waiting for my sims to finish up what they were doing. I just don't mind loading screens if it means I have more places to go with my sims.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    A8ab wrote: »
    I prefer venues being open. I personally never had my sims leave the house much in the Sims 3 despite the open world because so few of the lots were open. I know for some people that they don't have to go everywhere with their sims to enjoy the game but I never liked waiting outside a building waiting for my sims to finish up what they were doing. I just don't mind loading screens if it means I have more places to go with my sims.

Yeah, I didn’t get very far in the sims 3 because I hated the rabbit holes, and my computer would crash a lot, even though I had a brand new gaming laptop.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I loved the open world, but I understand people's complaints about the lag. Not to mention having to plan ahead to leave for work because, depending on where you lived and worked, it could take an hour to drive there.

I love the idea of open neighborhoods and wonder if they'd work. I'll accept a loading screen to get to San Myshuno, or to get to the business district in Willow Creek. It really does feel silly to get a loading screen between apartments in the same building, though. I don't visit my neighbors because of it. I call them and invite them over just so I don't have to wait.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    Sorry what are open venues? I know Sims 3 open worlds but Sims 4 open venues has me lost. Sims 3 had many open venues as well as world, parks, gym, bars, clubs, lounges, beaches and hotels. If you included store stuff as well cinemas etc as well.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I like open world and open venues. So a mix of both is great.

I wish that Sims 4 neighborhoods were at least opened up as @lexaloo was saying. I don't feel like this would be laggy at all. I feel like it would make me more connected to my Sims, if in that neighborhood, I could see them back at home and tend to those Sims while also tending to the ones in a venue down the street. This would give me a better feeling of control, or the ability to have control, if I wanted, or not. Also, it would give that sandbox feel.

Love Sims 4, just don't love all the loading screens. :x
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Open venues. I like to play the game not sit and wait while the game plays itself.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited July 2019
    Open world. I don't need every venue to be open, and it's annoying because I either must bring the entire household or deal multiple loading screens to keep tabs on my other sims (because sims are very stupid beings who can't look after themselves). I like Sims 4, but my sims stay home 90% of the time because of this. It's a nuisance to deal with.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Not to mention having to plan ahead to leave for work because, depending on where you lived and worked, it could take an hour to drive there.
    Don't people do that in real life, and isn't lack of realism a complaint about the games in general?
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I dont see a reason to compromise here. Open venues in an open world should be more than possible for a game in this time era.

The sims 3 was nice with an open world and a true improvement. The rabbit holes it contained were not always bad, but I would like it to be optional just as The sims 4 has with jobs.
    I did not like the constrictions for these rabbit holes lot. Take the cinema lot where you could not build your own functional cinema lot, cause the game would never give it the same working features as the original one.

The sims 3 lots were always empty and sims barely knew how to act on them which caused a true problem. The sims 3 became a big failure, cause basic game play was so faulty.

I would expect the to learn from this, stop the forced rabbit holes and gives us OPTIONS. If they want to keep most players happy, they should know by now, that this works the best.
  • Options
    The sims 3 lots were always empty
    I still play Sims 3, and it seems like the lots have a similar functionality to 2 and 4. They are empty at first, but a few minutes after my sim arrives, others will follow. Seems the lots that fill are the ones your sim is actively on.
  • Options
    RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    I'd like open neighbourhoods, which has been mentioned by others. So there will be loading screen if you travel to other worlds or a different neighbourhood, but yours is open, making it easy to visit neighbours or a nearby community lot. Also, makes you able to actually see your neighbours...
    It's so weird and annoying I need a loading screen to visit the neighbour who's house is right besides mine!

It also makes me rarely leave the house when I'm playing a big household, because of some reason if I leave with one or two sims, then the others will stop what they were doing and the madness begins! What is sleeping? Working? School? Peeing? I dunno! I shall go play chess outside in the middle of the night! Complete madness.
  • Options
    MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
    Yes i really enjoyed seeing my sim neighbors!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Open neighborhoods. My fav thing about open world was to view my immediate neighbors. Watching them coming and going. I'd like neighborhoods large enough to travel around using bikes and scooters.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I don't really know what open venues means, but I miss open world. From what everyone complains about, Sims 4 is already a laggy mess for most people and we don't even have open world.

For me, personally, I don't have any problems. And the problems I did have with Sims 3 weren't really due to open world.

I hate loading screens, even if they are only a couple seconds long. I miss having a sim at home, such as a kid at home doing homework, while mom and dad were on the other side of town having a date night, watching a movie and having dinner, and brother or sister bicycling to the pool to swim. The closed world is just a huge bummer in my books.

I could understand us having open "worlds" as in only one world at a time being open (such as Sulani is open, but if you want to go to another world/neighborhood you have to have a short loading screen). I really hope they bring back open world/neighborhoods with Sims 5. That is about the only way I will jump on the Sims 5 train right out the gate. Otherwise, I'll probably wait until it can measure up to where I think the game should be.

p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    I don't really know what open venues means

I think it means venues that aren't rabbit holes. In the Sims 3 most of the places sims could visit were rabbit holes and it was pretty rubbish in my opinion to be sat outside a restaurant or other indoor venue waiting for my sims to be done. I don't ever want that back.
  • Options
    I don't really know what open venues means, but I miss open world. From what everyone complains about, Sims 4 is already a laggy mess for most people and we don't even have open world.

For me, personally, I don't have any problems. And the problems I did have with Sims 3 weren't really due to open world.

I hate loading screens, even if they are only a couple seconds long. I miss having a sim at home, such as a kid at home doing homework, while mom and dad were on the other side of town having a date night, watching a movie and having dinner, and brother or sister bicycling to the pool to swim. The closed world is just a huge bummer in my books.

I could understand us having open "worlds" as in only one world at a time being open (such as Sulani is open, but if you want to go to another world/neighborhood you have to have a short loading screen). I really hope they bring back open world/neighborhoods with Sims 5. That is about the only way I will jump on the Sims 5 train right out the gate. Otherwise, I'll probably wait until it can measure up to where I think the game should be.
    True. My Sims 4 game shut down on me out of nowhere tonight. And no, I don't have any bad CC. I checked. I've also had a problem with sims occasionally getting stuck since I bought the game four years ago! They also sometimes have delayed reactions to being given a command.

I don't know why open world is solely blamed for the issues Sims 3. Heck, even Sims 2 had issues (stuck loading screens, which also happen in Sims 4; ugh!!).
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member

Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't really know what open venues means

I think it means venues that aren't rabbit holes. In the Sims 3 most of the places sims could visit were rabbit holes and it was pretty rubbish in my opinion to be sat outside a restaurant or other indoor venue waiting for my sims to be done. I don't ever want that back.

I don't want that back either!! I already don’t go to the concerts and things because they are rabbit holes. I would much rather send my sim to a Lounge.so I can see what they are doing and control them.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't really get this, I mean TS3 had both.

There were some rabbit holes but you could replace them with the actual venues once they came out. In a perfect world I would have both, but if I ultimately have to choose, then I prefer the open venues. But here's the thing, TS4 has loading screens but like TS3, it also has rabbit holes aka "closed venues" so I wouldn't say TS4 has open venues either.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »

True. My Sims 4 game shut down on me out of nowhere tonight. And no, I don't have any bad CC. I checked. I've also had a problem with sims occasionally getting stuck since I bought the game four years ago! They also sometimes have delayed reactions to being given a command.

I don't know why open world is solely blamed for the issues Sims 3. Heck, even Sims 2 had issues (stuck loading screens, which also happen in Sims 4; ugh!!).

My TS4 game sometimes has crashes too. The other day I was on an infinite loading screen, but then the game loaded the world/lot, but somehow my sim wouldn't do anything and was just standing there a long with everyone else. I tried to close my game and nothing, I had to go to the task bar and close it lol It's rare, but sometimes it happens. But I can say the same about TS3, I don't usually have many crashes.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Yup. Like most others seem to think, I also don't want rabbit holes and want open neighborhoods. I wouldn't mind if it was only your immediate neighbors, but I also rarely visit anyone because of the loading screens. Would be nicer if I could just pop by a neighbors house or a restaurant next door or a bookstore or... well whatever there is. But now it doesn't really matter where you live, because the amount of time you need to travel is the same everywhere.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I don't really get this, I mean TS3 had both.

There were some rabbit holes but you could replace them with the actual venues once they came out. In a perfect world I would have both, but if I ultimately have to choose, then I prefer the open venues. But here's the thing, TS4 has loading screens but like TS3, it also has rabbit holes aka "closed venues" so I wouldn't say TS4 has open venues either.
    Yeah, this annoys me. TS3 is NOT the only Sims game with rabbit holes. How about the majority of the careers? Heck, diving is a rabbit hole in TS4, so they introduced a new one. What about volunteer activities and child sims going to school? Also, rabbit holes. But almost no one mentions those (except diving because the pack is still new).

Not to mention some places are boring. Lecture halls were open in TS3 and they were as boring as real-life lecture halls.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Open venues. It's far more fun that way.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Open venues by far. I hate...well dislike rabbit holes and prefer to have venues open and interactive.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Not to mention having to plan ahead to leave for work because, depending on where you lived and worked, it could take an hour to drive there.
    Don't people do that in real life, and isn't lack of realism a complaint about the games in general?

People literally complain about the game being too realistic. They want their occult sims.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)