May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is IL worth the Full Price Tag

JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
I have yet to get this pack and was just curious. Given all debate of this pack and recent reviews, is Island Living worth the $40 dollar price tag?

**I just want to note that this is a pack I do look forward to playing when I can get it.

WbUrFQm.png

Is IL worth the Full Price Tag 196 votes

Yes
25%
BluegayleSara1010Palexspoom13NighteyesIceyJstarrling33PlayerSinger2010SleepycatDSLSimpatsyannKelleygirlmcruddSimburianBloosmoosimgirl1010cchant86AjaGioluthienrisingcatloverplayermarcel21MissyHissy 50 votes
No
74%
Freckles1971CK213lizmac21KolbyGoldmoldarKristinaGalacticGalIcewolfJasebandit5alan650111Cabelle1863aelias24AlexaiKatlyn2525overoncandystormAlrynnkeekee53shellbeme 146 votes

Comments

• Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    No
    H E C K. N O. I bought it full price because I’ve never felt so much hype for an EP before... big mistake. I feel like if it was a GP, It would’ve been a solid 8, maybe even 8.5 rating from me. But instead... I’m giving it a 4.75 , 5-5.5 at max.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,360 Member
    Yes
    Objectively? Probably not. For me? Yes, would buy again. There's still a handful of packs that I'm waiting for outrageous sales (below 50%) before buying, but IL is exactly the opposite for me.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    No. It's not a bad pack, but it isn't worth the $40 price tag. I'd understand if it was 10 dollars cheaper.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 894 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    I bought it full price and I don't regret it. If you have the ability to I would look at some game play video's. Not necessarily for anyone else's opinion, but to see what the game play features are like and see if it will give you the longevity of play for the price. Only you can know for sure if what is offered will be worth the full price to you.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    No
    if you want it I say get it but I dont think it has as much as other eps but if it has something you really want go for it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    No
    Patience can be a wonderful thing. I am going to wait for the sale and consider buying it then. But that is me. You wll have to decide for yourself.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,596 Member
    edited June 2019
    It's just all going to come down to opinion really to if you're going to get the full value out of this pack. Can play the waiting game and wait for a sale on EP's for it to be half off or if you're in the US chances are Target has it on sale already. I'm always for sales for sure. I have been enjoying this pack though I do have a good couple of disappointments in what they could have added to it to enrich it further.

List of things of note
    Aqua zips (jet ski's)
    Sailing (with canoes)
    Swimming in the ocean
    Building Sandcastles (when it rains they fall apart)
    Suntanning/sunburns
    Snorkeling
    Diving (rabbit hole you can buy items from the booey to collect shells and take underwater pictures)
    Freediving (about like the above, except your sim will come up for air now and again and don't need to buy anything and you may collect items)
    Search the beach for shells and other items along with cleaning up trash on the beach
    Shark Death (or it's suppose to be a shark that pulls your under)
    A lot of new CAS items (more so for adults children get a little something but that's about the norm)
    Different events that happen in the community part of the island (they pop up without notification)
    New recipes
    New drinks
    New traits (child of the ocean, child of the island)
    New Aspiration
    BBQ pit ( that's on a timer letting the food cook for almost 2 sim hours )
    Kava Bowl (this is replaced by the atrocious fruitcake here in this world with the welcome wagon. Sims get some buffs from drinking it and especially after they sleep. They can also get dazed from it)
    New harvestables (Kava, pineapple, coconut)
    Playing and befriending dolphin's (they can also fetch you items now and again if they feel like it or might come back empty handed)
    Mermaids (Not as in-depth as vampires, but a big step up from the ones in S3. Can customize them and they are not invasive in your game unless you play a mermaid in your household or befriend one so you won't see them otherwise.)
    Monsoons (if you have seasons combination of heavy winds, rain and thunderstorms)
    Waterfall (Can woohoo it, shower in your clothes and shower in the nude, attract frogs to catch them as well as play in it)
    Volcanic lot trait
    New part-time jobs
    Conservationist Career (pretty indepth and really useful when you get to the environmentalist branch which can effect the world around your sims by passing policies. Etc. No fishing after certain times, turning their power off after midnight. etc, etc)
    Anti-environmentalist (sims that pop up with a red exclamation above their head they're most likely littering or fishing for poor baby turtles. You can confront them if successful you get a reward in the form of money)

So, if any of that interests you greatly I'd say go for it or just wait off for a sale for the most part as I'm sure it won't be long when they do. Also, you won't see other sims showing up in Sulani at all from other world's unless you have certain lots they'll flock to (like a restaurant or gym) So, you'll see a lot of locals and some sulani homeless townies.

What's of value to you might not be the same for someone else, so it's a toss up.

Would consider looking at Carl's Sims 4 guide videos opposed to a review from anyone as he goes into depth with different aspects in packs from skills to careers, etc.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Yes
    I dont regret spending $40 on it at all, but then again it is only $40.
  • Options
    Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    No
    The EP came with 14 lots. 8 of those lots have build restrictions- no basements, no pools, no terrain editing, and no placing lone floor tiles without a foundation. For me it's not worth the full price, even if Sulani is the best looking world in the game.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    No
    No, more of a game pack, if that. Waiting for a steep sale and genuine progress in fixing what's broken, including game overall.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    No
    I wish I would have exercised patience. This is definitely a 50% sale pack. By then the bugs would have been addressed and I could enjoy it more.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    No. It's not a bad pack, but it isn't worth the $40 price tag. I'd understand if it was 10 dollars cheaper.

Exactly this. To me it’s very much in between an EP and GP. I would have happily paid $30 for it. Am I upset I spent $40? No I really wanted this pack and didn’t want to wait plus parts of it are really worth it such as the world and items. I do feel it has something missing though in the gameplay part and that’s why I can’t really say it’s worth $40.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    No
    Absolutely not. It's worth GP price at the most.
  • Options
    MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    I agree with what others have said. If your curiosity gets the best of you, at least make a bundle pack from it.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    No
    For the price of an expansion pack you get maybe as much gameplay as you would get in a game pack, that costs half the price. There’s been a lot of piecing together of information and it’s rumored this pack WAS developed as a GP - which I can absolutely see after playing the pack for myself.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    No
    I love it, but I probably should have waited for a sale.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    No
    It was supposed to be a game pack, an unpolished and slightly buggy game pack. Abracadabra! Poof! Now it's an expansion pack. Welcome to Realm Of Magic. :p
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    This is my least favourite pack but it’s not because I don’t think it’s worth it more because I don’t use it everyday. I can’t seem to understand the direction of this pack. Seasons we had holidays and calendars, get together we had clubs almost every other EP had some direction what is this ones? Open water? If so where is the underwater. Mermaids? Then why can’t they do more. It feels like no one knew what direction they wanted to take so ended up with a little bit of this and that.
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    Yes
    It all depends on how you play and what you enjoy.

I'm really enjoying it and have already gotten my money's worth out of it.

$10 = 1 hour of entertainment (a 2 hour movie is usually priced around $20 but if you go out to the movies you are going to be paying a lot more).

So for $40, I needed to get at least 4 hours of entertainment from it. Not a problem, I've already spent more then 30 hours playing since the release of IL.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    No
    It is worth however much you are happy to pay I guess. I personally find packs quite pricey in general so I always either wait for a sale or put them on my birthday/xmas list. I think I'll wait for the next two packs to come out so I can build a bundle and save a bit that way.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Yes
    100% worth it. I spend way more money on games that I enjoy far less than TS4. $40 is absolutely nothing in comparison.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    No
    Absolutely not. I wouldn't mind paying A LOT to get actual expanding features for the game, but as the kids say 'this aint it chief'.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    No
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    This is my least favourite pack but it’s not because I don’t think it’s worth it more because I don’t use it everyday. I can’t seem to understand the direction of this pack. Seasons we had holidays and calendars, get together we had clubs almost every other EP had some direction what is this ones? Open water? If so where is the underwater. Mermaids? Then why can’t they do more. It feels like no one knew what direction they wanted to take so ended up with a little bit of this and that.

I think part of appeal is there is no direction. Supposedly. The gurus have often called this a new 'experience' for our Sims. But I do agree with you. It feels as if they threw a bunch of ideas at a wall then went with the ones that stuck rather than choosing just a couple of features and taking the time to make those new features mean more than they actually do. The mermaids are definitely a feature they should have spent more time on.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,414 Member
    No
    It's one of the few expansions I've bought full price and I've enjoyed it, but for anyone asking I would recommend rather getting it on a sale.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,998 Member
    Yes
    I have gotten my money’s worth out of it.The world is beautiful, and i have much more to explore.