Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lving off the Grid

How does one cook when you live off the grid? All I can think of is hand washed and dried laundry, which I did in Seasons and it's a pain, but how else does it affect things like TV and computers?
Go Raps!
canada-flag-tiny.gif

Comments

• Options
    TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    I think you grill. I believe I saw a comment that said you can use the fridge and make dishes that didn’t require a stove, but I haven’t tested it yet
  • Options
    aleena2424aleena2424 Posts: 14 New Member
    I think that the bonfire that has the leaves on top is a way you could cook living off the grid!
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,763 Member
    So only outdoor cooking?
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Grills will work, tested it.
  • Options
    What about some of the wood burning stoves?
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    So , click on the wood burning stove and see if u's an option. I'll be grilling a lot.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2019
    The oven that came with vampires should work it should mention it in the description (there's a few appliances that still work for off the grid).

My Sim either eats natural fruits and vegetables, grill fish at the bonfire or either hotdogs or marshmallows or as mentioned you can do it on a outdoor grill.

Course if you don't want your sim to cook the cooler from Outdoor Retreat works very nicely.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I played off the grid already and it is a new favourite style of mine because it is extremely challenging. My sims walked around at least a little or a lot tense because they were cold (even with a fireplace in the house), they did not feel completely clean, and their fun levels dropped fast.

Cooking is not difficult: if you buy the old-fashioned stove you can cook with gas and make single serving dishes of eggs with toast and grilled cheese. You can get cold food and drinks from the OR cooler and grill various foods on the outdoor barbecues, and if you have the old-fashioned fridge and a counter, you can also make garden salad, fruit salad and sandwiches (under Quick Meal); it can also act as a pantry to store fruits and vegetables.

No baths are possible and showers give an uncomfortable tepid moodlet and a sense of not being fully clean. (I imagine living by the ocean will make this aspect easier because sims can always swim). As for the fun need, my sims will all be forced to become musicians, artists and bookworms just to make them able to be happy.
  • Options
    Interesting!! Good to know!
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Heads up! Moving this to General Discussion (lot trait is available for the base game) ;)
  • Options
    LizzyMacTownieLizzyMacTownie Posts: 31 Member
    I really want to try this for a challenge game. I could do Rags to Riches, but has anyone made specific Off the Grid challenges? (I'm new and don't really know all the challenges out there.)
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Some stoves work. I think the one I used(with the wood under it) said cook wit gas to me that is not off grid. Maybe I read it wrong. I just pretended they used wood.
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    The wash tub that came with laundry day does not work with the off the grid trait
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I really hope they update the washtub that seems like a really silly oversight in my mind. There is a mod that allows it to work off-the-grid.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    I think this lot trait will work well for historical gameplay challenges, like the upgrowth challenge.
  • Options
    artistichippie2009artistichippie2009 Posts: 115 Member
    LissyK9 wrote: »
    I think this lot trait will work well for historical gameplay challenges, like the upgrowth challenge.

I think it will be perfect for that! I look forward to trying it
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Corenren wrote: »
    The wash tub that came with laundry day does not work with the off the grid trait

There's a mod for this, if you're open to mod options: https://nieswillsneeze.tumblr.com/post/185725408829/sims-4-replace-water-off-grid-mod-nies
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Strange!
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Crin with the toddler/pet bathing info!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    starkid852starkid852 Posts: 2 New Member
    Can you store food in fridges? None of them in my game say that they work off the grid and if my single sim grills a big plate of food I'd like to be able to preserve it
  • Options
    QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    I've been able to store food in the fridge while off grid without a problem. I just wish there were more than a couple of recipes available for cooking, between the fridge and the "cook with gas" option on the stove. I can understand taking away many of the more complicated recipes, but shouldn't stuff like soup and chili still be available? Its not that hard to make them, and you just need a big pot to cook it in on the stove (or grill, even). I've done it before when power has been out.

Overall, I get the feeling the gurus don't have a lot of experience doing camp-cooking, or making meals when the power is out.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I've been able to store food in the fridge while off grid without a problem. I just wish there were more than a couple of recipes available for cooking, between the fridge and the "cook with gas" option on the stove. I can understand taking away many of the more complicated recipes, but shouldn't stuff like soup and chili still be available? Its not that hard to make them, and you just need a big pot to cook it in on the stove (or grill, even). I've done it before when power has been out.

Overall, I get the feeling the gurus don't have a lot of experience doing camp-cooking, or making meals when the power is out.

So far I've only used a grill... what can you cook on the stove?
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member

That's too bad. :/ I was really looking forward to adding the challenge of laundry to off the grid living. I would imagine it's an oversight and hopefully they'll fix it.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    treece01 wrote: »

So far I've only used a grill... what can you cook on the stove?

Only grilled cheese and eggs and toast. I've been hoping more recipes would become available as my Sim levels up cooking skill, but so far nothing.

Also, did I mention this Sim is a vegetarian? :D So even when I use the grill, her options are still quite limited! Aargh! Learn from my mistakes, guys!
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

I don't understand taking away any options for cooking simply because its gas. We used to have a 4 burner camping stove and didn't suddenly forget how to cook when we used it.... Sure, remove some of the more complicated stuff that may have required a lot of storage, such as pufferfish nigiri, but being restricted to the two recipes - and them being single serving- is silly. Also, why does the stove that is a wood burner cook on gas?