Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets is...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    MizzSammii3MizzSammii3 Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2019
    AGREE X1000000 to all of these comments.

And most importantly, I want control of the cats and dogs... and more interactions. Why can't dogs water the plants anymore? Why can't they dig in the yard? Why can't I make them chew the couch or drink from the toilet (I know they do these things, but maybe I want my dog to be an a**) Why don't my animals interact with each other? With the controllable pets mod, I have to force it else it literally never happens.

I'm pretty convinced that pets are just there to annoy sims. In Sims 3, I was there breeding dogs + cats, paying more attention to them than my sims. With the Sims 4, there's nothing to do with them. Even with the mod, there's nothing fun to do. Run the obstacle course? Run around? Plop a stinky one in the front yard? Woohoo.

Someone mentioned above how crappy the pets furniture selection was, and I agree... the "dog beds" look like floor tiles. There's like two bowl types each... and 10 toys that all look the same? MEH.

So disgruntled, so disappointed.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited June 2019
    Cats and Dogs are the biggest downgrade of an expansion this franchise faced. I still don't understand why they didn't even made doghouses and after people asking for it they even came with the poor cash grab My First Pet S**s to instead of giving at least different things, they decided to recolor clothes and objects with the adition of simple little pets and objects that were clearly made as a part of a set that came with the expansion. I know is the most sold pack ever in the franchise but by the amount of times The Sims 4 dlcs are on sale, the lack of many things in this game and a simple fact of having a new world and the two major pets it sells well... i understand. But this doesn't make it look good actually! For me even The Sims Unleashed is better...
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    When C&D was announced I have to admit I was excited. Finally an official vet career is what I thought and the idea of not controlling pets didn't bother me because TS2 had uncontrollable pets and I enjoyed them, but then soon found out it was a recycled version of the doctor career/retail career in the game and you could access NO information about the pet. You couldn't even tell the age. With the vet career, there came the bugs. Employees standing around, tables going up and down and never being able to examine a pet. Then the pets started getting annoying. It's now another pack I regret getting. It's bland and repetitive. And the hype doesn't last long. It's always the same with each pack. You buy it have fun for a short time and then you start to notice the issues and the fact that, yet again, they threw glitter on a pair of dirty socks. I'm tired of it. It's a never ending cycle
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    These people only think of pets as animated decor. That’s essentially what they are in this game. Very little gameplay just lots for you to “watch”. Cats especially they devoted tons of time to allow them to hop on random things. That’s a novelty it’s a shame gameplay wasn’t a focus for them. Dogs can’t even sleep on a regular bed, but cats can hop on the fridge even though there’s no gameplay there.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Really? Dogs can't hop into the sims beds this iteration? I have C&D but every time I try to play with a dog they end up glitching out and crashing my game. Thats so dissappointing. That was my favorite little detail of the past games. For a dog could join my sim in bed like my IRL pupper does with me. I didn't think I could be more let down by Cats and Dogs :'( kind of starting to feel like C&D should have been a game pack instead
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    I have C&D but every time I try to play with a dog they end up glitching out and crashing my game.

now, I'm not a huge fan of C&D myself,
    but this doesn't really sound normal to me
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Really? Dogs can't hop into the sims beds this iteration? I have C&D but every time I try to play with a dog they end up glitching out and crashing my game. Thats so dissappointing. That was my favorite little detail of the past games. For a dog could join my sim in bed like my IRL pupper does with me. I didn't think I could be more let down by Cats and Dogs :'( kind of starting to feel like C&D should have been a game pack instead

Yeah dogs can only get on couches. Just couches, and there isn’t even an option to scold them for it. I personally do not let’s my dog on my couches, too expensive to get damaged, but I do let her sleep on my bed.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    I haven't had many problems with Cats and Dogs myself.

I start by getting the friendship up with the dogs. Leashing them, taking them outside to a grassy space, unleashing them and giving the poop command started them going outside, worked on that front. I found Loyalty, adventurous and hunter made them eager to learn, follow and interested in the flora and fauna). Mine sniff around when I send them out hunting and always bring home something. (I follow them around with the right click and it's a good way a checking out the neighbourhood. The Sims dogs work best as a pet for one Sim and more and more commands pop up as you go further. Cats do their own thing and I don't play them as much. I am not a cat person!

I had a little rescue dog myself in real life and it took a long time to go from unhappy stray to a loyal and loving dog so I use the same patience on the Sims ones.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I have C&D but every time I try to play with a dog they end up glitching out and crashing my game.

now, I'm not a huge fan of C&D myself,
    but this doesn't really sound normal to me

The patch said they fixed it where the dogs would infinitely fill up the human sims queue, I haven't had a family adopt pets since that big patch fix back in april?? I was going to play around with the game today and see if they actually fixed it.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    The pets can be a bit boring. And unless you give the dog the clever/smart trait they usually behave really dumb.

But I still like the pack and the vet career is a great addition! :)
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I love cats in real life, but find them boring to play in this pack. I actually love the dogs. I am not happy with no dog houses and the dogs not being able to sleep on the beds. One of my favorite things in the other sims games was to have a double bed in my child or teen sims room and have the family dog sleep with them. That is how I grew up, with the dog sleeping either at the foot or under my bed.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Yeah, pets are kind of lame. I think the most boring thing about them is that they seem to be in their own worlds most of the time. Now, if I have an aloof dog or cat who isn't supposed to be super clingy, and they're acting like that, that's no problem. I expect that. But a lot of my dogs and cats have traits like friendly and affectionate and yet they still ignore their owners and the other pets most of the time. It's weird. Pets with those traits should initiate most (if not all) of the interactions with their masters and other pets in my opinion, but it rarely happens in my experience.
  • Options
    AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, I doubt we'll get a real fix for any of the other problems in this thread, disappointing, however I'm glad they fixed that 'can't go upstairs to eat/use litterbox' bit. I don't know if it's just my game or what, but my raccoon/cat follows the family foot to foot around the house. They don't even have to be that friendly with each other, but there he is. We get it, Kingsley, every pet needs a scratch behind the ears once in a while and a little treat to keep them happy, but my goodness let a Sim breathe!

Being both a cat and dog person, it's a bit disheartening that I haven't being able to add dogs in a long time. Mainly due to the fact that I can't make any in cas, because apparently it's an old issue with the specs on medium to low end PCs, yet I can play the game and make cats just fine. Dogs are only adopted if I call or use the computer. Just.... how is this still going on? Is that not what Laptop Mode is for? I play without it on now and pretty much gave up. And the whole kittens/puppies can't go upstairs thing reminds me of toddlers that can't either because their Movement skill is too low. Wow. Anyway, when I had dogs, they seemed to love going either right beside the front door on the walkway, ample time for an unsuspecting Sim to walk into it, or in various places throughout the yard. I would've liked to see a simple training method or something to allow dogs to go in or at least around the same spot every time. As much as I do like certain aspects of this pack, and frankly, would be hard pressed to call it worst, the best thing to come out of it was the Lighthouse, which I collect and love in real life...

They're simply another aesthetic, sorry to say. Animals are so unpredictable, even pets, that I was surprised to learn how stoic they acted in-game. All the toys provided go virtually unnoticed in favor of them wandering through the house constantly, sometimes I just tell them to go prowling or tear up furniture, lol. I feel the same way about them as I do Sims, half the time actions don't align with the traits - not that I'm expecting perfection, but a little erratic/spontaneous behavior goes a long way for me. Doghouses are kind of meh, I never really used them much because they were always comfy enough on my Sims' bed or next to them on the couch. It had a nice, homey vibe to it. Come home from work or whatever and chill out with the cat/dog. Come home from work now and chill with emptiness.