Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets is...

Spectacularly disappointing.

I mean I love the choices of breeds and all the customization for cats and dogs but the implementation is kind of crap. Cats aren't so bad but dogs are absolutely horrid to deal with.

Trained the dog to use the bathroom outside. Cool. I'm modifying the Hound's Head lot, the big 64x64 one, but I kept the "garden" in the middle. I also cut out the roof of that section so it now technically counts as being outdoors. Great thing for the dog because that's the only place it uses the bathroom... However, that annoyed me because I don't want the dog to use the bathroom basically in the middle of the house, even if it counts as being outside, so I look online and see people have been having success by locking doors and keeping pets out.

Great!

I lock all the doors leading outside but the pet door and send the dog outside to use the bathroom. Where does it go? The same d**n spot in the middle of the f*****g house, with the newly "locked" door.

I send the cat out to go prowl and it runs its happy a** right in there too.

Not only did they both ignore the locked door, but now they're stuck locked inside...

I'm calling b******t! How'd they get in if they can't get out? What kind of sense does that make?

I'm going to let them starve to death in there. Maybe ghost pets don't need to poop.

See what you did EA/Maxis? You're turning me into a pet killer.

Tragic.

Comments

• Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited June 2018
    Dogs are indeed horrible to deal with indeed. My households only own cats now.

Pets is definitely not my favorite pack.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Locked doors sometimes take a moment to go into effect, also, if you lock and door and the pet or sim already has an action and is already routed to go through that door it'll ignore the lock and go through.
  • Options
    Quess_is_BakedQuess_is_Baked Posts: 129 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Locked doors sometimes take a moment to go into effect, also, if you lock and door and the pet or sim already has an action and is already routed to go through that door it'll ignore the lock and go through.

I thought of this as well. Tried again, door had been locked for 5 mins or so, real time, dog still went through it but couldn't get back out. I'm just going to let the dog die. The cat is fine.
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    sorry to hear that! I love my sim doggies :D
  • Options
    Reksoh wrote: »
    sorry to hear that! I love my sim doggies :D

Ironic. My dog is also a husky, it's a dead husky now tho. About to be a released ghost because the dog still needs to poop. Why? Apparently people have been complaining about ghosts since they were introduced so I won't start beating a dead horse.

Dogs just aren't for me in the current version of Sims 4.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member

I thought of this as well. Tried again, door had been locked for 5 mins or so, real time, dog still went through it but couldn't get back out. I'm just going to let the dog die. The cat is fine.

Have you tried relocking the door? An issue I had the other day is that I had to relock the door in order for one of my sims to stop going through it.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    My puppy goes on the porch. Nowhere else.
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I like the pack, but there’s just some things I wish they didn’t over look, like the fact that kids can feed and brush the dog but can’t walk em... or that they don’t seem to learn their designated sleeping spots so they are all over the house.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Have you tried relocking the door? An issue I had the other day is that I had to relock the door in order for one of my sims to stop going through it.
    I don't think I specifically tried relocking the doors multiple times but I can check. What I ended up doing was just feeding the dog some ambrosia to bring it back to life then cheat its needs to stop decaying. Dog doesn't poop but now it's more or less bugged. Fixates on objects and refuses to move, cat too and I've done nothing to it. I'll locking again works, if not, I'm going to have to let pets go. Think I can get a refund? I just got the expansion... heh.
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Pretty much why I decided to let the dog die in the first place. Just replace porch with garden/spaceship launch area. Yes, there is a rocket in the middle of the house. It happens.
    I like the pack, but there’s just some things I wish they didn’t over look, like the fact that kids can feed and brush the dog but can’t walk em... or that they don’t seem to learn their designated sleeping spots so they are all over the house.
    I haven't played with pets and kids yet but I can kind of understand a kid not being able to walk the dog, in real life at least. As long as teens can walk them I'm not going to complain. My pets would usually sleep on their bed, or somewhere near one of the sims in the house.
  • Options
    TurquoisePapayaTurquoisePapaya Posts: 318 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »

I believe puppies and kittens cannot go down stairs on their own.
    However, they seem to usually be able to use elevators alone.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    TurquoisePapayaTurquoisePapaya Posts: 318 Member
    or that they don’t seem to learn their designated sleeping spots so they are all over the house.

I wouldn’t say that’s inaccurate, though
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Most of the dogs in my game go on the porch since that’s technically outside as well. I find it incredibly annoying. Dogs also route fail in most of the apartments when you tell them to go potty so they can’t even be trained.
  • Options
    majesticmobbymajesticmobby Posts: 2 New Member
    I don't know if anyone has had this issue with Pets, but mine keep on dying of starvation. I have searched the forums regarding this issue but have found nothing. I feed them multiple times in a day and they sometimes will feed themselves. Is this a glitch in the game? cause having pets isn't fun when they keep on dying and it's completely out of your control.
    Any assistants would be great, or is I need to post this somewhere else please let me know, I don't typically use the forums but I have lost so many pets that I can't take it no more. :# Thank you
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    If you have custom content or mods,try to figure out if one of those may be causing the issue. When I had a glitch with the pets,it was some CC I just downloaded(I STILL don't know what happened to cause the sudden aging glitch for 2 of my Sims). If that doesn't work,you could try repairing your game.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't know if anyone has had this issue with Pets, but mine keep on dying of starvation. I have searched the forums regarding this issue but have found nothing. I feed them multiple times in a day and they sometimes will feed themselves. Is this a glitch in the game? cause having pets isn't fun when they keep on dying and it's completely out of your control.
    Any assistants would be great, or is I need to post this somewhere else please let me know, I don't typically use the forums but I have lost so many pets that I can't take it no more. :# Thank you

they can't die of starvation without mods.. so there's that
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options

This most likely is CC related. I hadn't played in months so when I finally got around to updating I just deleted all my mods and restarted fresh. I still use some mods, MCC and a few others, but my pets haven't starved to death. I'm just having issues that other people posted have, dogs, in general, seem to be bigged/glitchy as all. Just to be on the safe side, assuming you have mods, remove them all then try and see if your dogs still starve. If not, you can work on narrowing down the culprit causing your issues.
  • Options
    majesticmobbymajesticmobby Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Cupid said:
    >
    > they can't die of starvation without mods.. so there's that

The only mods I have are clothing and hair... don't see how that could affect it.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Pets can only die of old age... there is no death by starvation for pets in the game, period.
  • Options
    > @Cupid said:
    >
    > they can't die of starvation without mods.. so there's that

The only mods I have are clothing and hair... don't see how that could affect it.

Hmm. Maybe you have the super serious version of Sims 4 that got recalled because it's ok to starve a sim but starving a sim pet is a no-no! Heh. Seriously though, if your oly mods are clothing and hair mods... I don't know what could be causing your problem. Maybe that particular save is glitched. Try starting a new game with a new family and see how that goes.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Now that it's been a while since Cats&Dogs released, I've made up my mind about it and I have to agree with the OP.

Just recently I had my sim move to Brindleton Bay and get a vet clinic in preparation for Seasons. I wanted her to be a vet and also have a garden on the side, that would later on bloom into a full on farm with a multitude of produce, dogs running around having the time of their lives being close with nature and having lots of room to play.

First of all - no such thing possible. Pets don't care about their living conditions. Whether you keep them in a tiny apartment, a huge mansion, or have them be outside most of the time doesn't matter. Pets can't do much outside, they don't interact with nature properly besides dogs searching for collectibles and scaring off the birds. Dogs have no reaction to open spaces. Have you ever seen a dog that doesn't get excited once its let out to run freely in a big garden or a beach? It's ridiculous how little pets can do outside of their home.

Second... I wanted my sim to have a deep bond with her dogs. What's a deep bond when your dog can't even sleep in your bed? I know some people don't allow that, but let's be honest, most of us do and we love it! Its nice and comforting. Dogs not being able to go in sims' beds is so immersion breaking for me I mostly just own cats now. I wanted my sims' dog to be her best friend, a companion, and seeing the dog sleep by her bed instead of right next to her, despite the other side of the bed being completely empty just breaks my heart.

Pets act up and without the controllable pets mod they keep running away because you can't possible keep an eye on them all the time to make sure their needs are fulfilled. Lose track of your cat for 5 minutes trying to have your sim do something interesting - bam. The cat runs away because it feels neglected. This is something everyone feared even before the EP came out and we were right. Not being able to control pets by default makes the gameplay tedious and annoying. I don't want to micromanage my pets all the time but if you want a cat or a dog in this game you pretty much have to say goodbye to other gameplay aspects.

This EP lacks heart and soul and most importantly - balance. In previous iterations I could have a pet and have fun with it but I didn't have to focus on said pet entirely. The pet would blend in with the household in a realistic way. They were always there for me to interact with when I felt like it but I wasn't worried all the time something bad will happen to them as soon as I play my human sims. In 4, pets demand constant attention which gets old fast and just makes me tired of playing.

On top of that, the world is small, there are no new hobby activities, just nothing to do. The vet career isn't much of an improvement over the rest of businesses in the game. I'm so upset over them simply ruining one of the best expansions for the sims that people anticipate so much. I wanted to love it as much as I love my cats and dogs in real life, but I just can't. It was a waste of money.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree, cats and dogs for me is the worst version of pets in eighteen years of sims.

They don’t have much personality. All my sim dogs are obsessed with the fridge and they all either scared of the tv or the bath. There is no training or helping them get over it they way you would with a pet in real life, you just have to live with it.

They are extremely needy and not in a realistic way. They whine when they want fed even when their bowls are full, the dogs constantly want walked. Speaking of walks, who came up with the idea for walks, even the the short ones to last hours? Why can’t children walk dogs? The same children that can do laundry and go and hang out in night clubs can’t walk a dog?

Training doesn’t often make sense, if my dog is potty trained why does it whine to go out to the bathroom on one day but can go by itself fine another? Essentially I’ve just trained it to go through a door.

I dislike not being able to see their needs, their family tree or something as basic as their age. They are essentially sim avatars that exist for my sake not for my sims as they couldn’t care less. Are pets meant to feel emotions? Took a dog to Geek con and it’s background changed to focused to indicate its mood.

Puppies are ridiculously easy as are dogs that aren’t trained. I’m a dog breeder, puppies chew. Young dogs will chew things they shouldn’t. A behaviour which the team recognised in the sims 1, 2 and 3 (special emphasis on the 2nd and 3rd game). Sims 2 my dog chewed up the couch, she dug in the back garden and my sim had to spend a long time training her. They don’t do this in 4 except to their balls. It’s just very unrealistic. Same with potty training. Dogs will go in the house at first but not in the sims 4 they don’t. It’s like they didn’t want to focus on the difficulties of having pets but only the good things.

Don’t even get me started on the small amount of pet furniture we got vs the crazy amount of silly costumes.

So far I can’t even say seasons has changed pets drastically. They are just there in the background.
  • Options
    I've just pretty much decided to not play with dogs. I tried hard, I do mean hard, to work with dogs but I'm over it. I finally got it so that the dog will use the pet door but it more or less refuses to use it on its own. I tell it to go potty and the dog runs to the front door and just waits and whines. Meanwhile the cat has ran in and out the pet door 4 times while the dog sits at the front door waiting to be let out. Then when it does use the pet door to go out, it poops right there at the door. Sometimes it's so close to the house that the poop actually shows up indoors... Once dogs have been trained to use the bathroom outside, there should be something you can buy, like a post or something, that can be placed to specify the area you want the dog to go potty.

I was also getting annoyed because both cats and dogs would run up to my sim, load 10 "pet me" actions, then run off... Luckily there was a mod to fix that.

Also, why can't I put cooked pet food in a pet bowl? Actually, what's the point in even going out of your way to cook pet food versus just using the pet bowl? Since you can't see their needs/buffs/debuffs, I can't tell if cooked food provides more hunger/happiness than regular food. Is there a point other than saying to yourself "I cooked my petsfood"?
  • Options
    Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    i never liked the pets expansion packs so ye... i cant really dissertate on why i hate pets. i simply hate it.
    the only time i actually enjoyed having a pet was when i found an unicorn in sims 3 for the first time, it was magical (also i was a kid at the time :p )
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I was an adult when I found my first unicorn (and persuaded it to join my household). It was magical for me as well :blush:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It is a really dissapointing EP and I share most of the opinions in this thread so far.
    I still keep trying to have pets in my households but at one point or another I always end up fed up with the situation.
    Everytime I think about it, I get angry. Everytime I remember the gurus saying this were the best cats and dogs ever in the history of the game I get salty.
    I don't care about all the silly costumes or a cat riding a roomba. I want gameplay and attention to important things.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.