Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island living is $12 more on Origin then local retailers in Canada!

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
Thanks to regional pricing is cost me 54.59 (after taxes) on EA's Origin store (I'm in Canada) to buy Island Living and -

UPDATE:

So its been brought to my attention its actually cheaper @ ebgame stores (39.99) then directly from Origin in Canada.

After checking more local retailers like some place called WALMART and another store called Bestbuy - EA's retail price (MSRP) is 39.99 CAD for Island Living - but for some reason EA is selling it for $51.99 directly from their online store/Origin.

So buying it directly from EA (digitally) costs $12 more in Canada, then if you go into a local store and buy it in a box here.

Walmart is only a in-store purchase upon release, but you can pre-order directly/online and see that is costs less at Bestbuy and EBgames now. I've also confirmed it costs 39.99 at London Drugs. As 39.99 is the listed MSRP it will be the same price at all Canadian retail stores regardless.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/the-sims-4-island-living-expansion-pack-pc-english/12601720

https://www.ebgames.ca/PC/Games/768888/the-sims-4-island-living

So lesson learned, don't buy Sim 4 expansions directly from Origin anymore if you live in Canada and have a local retail store nearby that sells games.

Honestly this makes no sense why EA wouldn't sell their own products online for their OWN suggested retail price, especially as EA makes less money selling via third party physical retailers like Walmart then directly online.

UPDATE 2:

If you pre-ordered online from Origin (like me) before checking retail, you can cancel your pre-order still and get your refund within 3-5 days just in time for the expansions release if you do it before/no later then monday. Then just buy it from a local store and safe $12.

Again 39.99 is not a sale price or discount, its the suggested retail price in Canada and every Canadian retailer is selling it for $39.99.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    thats a bummer because this EP is not worth $50 .

spending $50 on this pack wouldn't set me back any irl, but its just the principal of what you're getting and the actual quality versus the cost .
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options

spending $50 on this pack wouldn't set me back any irl, but its just the principal of what you're getting and the actual quality versus the cost .

Well I did also just spend $25 last week on Overwatch anniversary loot boxes lol....so ya...
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    send my couple on vacation finally that doesn't involve creepy men in bear suits.

this really hit home for me
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I only spent $40 on it. I've got it preordered.
  • Options
    This pack really should have been a game pack. I havent seen anything so expansive that it needs to be an EP , for EP prices.
  • Options
    wiredhanna67wiredhanna67 Posts: 402 Member
    This pack really should have been a game pack. I havent seen anything so expansive that it needs to be an EP , for EP prices.

to be fair have you seen any expansion gameplays/trailers that seem worthy for the price before you actually get into gameplay? may seem lacking but they gotta leave elements of surprise too
    gLQgzBe.gif
    The voice in your head is just me in your headphones, Everyone knows that we're the devils hero's!
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    $54.59 in what currency?
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options

to be fair have you seen any expansion gameplays/trailers that seem worthy for the price before you actually get into gameplay? may seem lacking but they gotta leave elements of surprise too

I have seen and read about all of the gameplay and its not $40.00 worth and its very far from $50.00 worth
  • Options
    I only spent $40 on it. I've got it preordered.

I pre-ordered it off origin.
    elelunicy wrote: »
    $54.59 in what currency?

But as I live in Canada I have to pay regional pricing, until about last year we paid the same list price as US. It was about 4-10$ after exchange, but because it was in CAD currency we actually paid less then americans tbh.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I spent $31 for my pre-order and I am happy about that as usually the only way you are going to get it cheaper is wait for while until the next sale.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I live in Canada I only paid $40 for it. I normally just buy it at Eb games.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    FWIW, that's $40 US with currency conversion. When we Canadians were paying $40 here, we were getting a crazy good deal, paying 3/4 what the Americans were paying. Now we pay the same. The tax isn't a state or federal tax - you're purchasing in Canada on Origin now; it's standard Canadian taxes.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    $50 AUD for me. Only option is pre-ordering on Origin, my computer has no disc slot. And with the Aussie dollar being so weak at the moment, it's equivalent to $35USD. So I mean, I simultaneously paid more AND less. Less in USD, but more here. Oh well.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, I feel that is too expensive for this kind of pack/DLC, as well as for other types of games and other DLC.

It’s why I am trying the preordering at CDkeys, and bought it for about $31 at that site. (I’m in the United States, so I’m not sure how much it would cost for other countries.)

I feel 20-30 dollars for certain types of games (like indie games) and for packs/DLC would be the more reasonable pricing.

But I do spend a lot on Sims stuff, because I love Sims stuff that much. (I try to wait for sales for some packs.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yeah, I feel that is too expensive for this kind of pack/DLC, as well as for other types of games and other DLC.

It’s why I am trying the preordering at CDkeys, and bought it for about $31 at that site. (I’m in the United States, so I’m not sure how much it would cost for other countries.)

I feel 20-30 dollars for certain types of games (like indie games) and for packs/DLC would be the more reasonable pricing.

But I do spend a lot on Sims stuff, because I love Sims stuff that much. (I try to wait for sales for some packs.)

It was 40 in Canada from them :)
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    It's SGD 55 here. I'm pretty sure EPs used to be cheaper, and when I check the others, they're SGD 25 at 50% off 🤔
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I remember the cost in the UK suddenly shooting up, was it last year? That's why I don't order from Origin any more.

£35 for an EP is just too much. I preordered mine for £24.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Cheekybits wrote: »

Now look at that, it IS$39.99 at EBgames...well thats just dumb.

Why is Origin selling it for more then Canadian retail stores?

It costs more for them to produce packaging and a disc/code and they get less return from store sales - but they charge more via the digital platform....

Maybe I should just cancel my pre-order and go pick it up at EBGames out of spite lol. Even after proper taxes (sales) I'd still save $10.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Now look at that, it IS$39.99 at EBgames...well thats just dumb.

Why is Origin selling it for more then Canadian retail stores?

It costs more for them to produce packaging and a disc/code and they get less return from store sales - but they charge more via the digital platform....

Maybe I should just cancel my pre-order and go pick it up at EBGames out of spite lol. Even after proper taxes (sales) I'd still save $10.

I just ordered it from EB Games! Thanks for the heads up about it!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Just out of interest, roughly how long is it after EPs are released before they go on sale? (Official EA/Origin sale that is).
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    send my couple on vacation finally that doesn't involve creepy men in bear suits.

this really hit home for me

me too
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    Canadian here too, also payed just under $55. I will definitely be looking at different websites for purchasing now. It's just way too expensive for a mere expansion pack. I hate how we have to pay for crazy inflated prices for literally everything.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Are you speaking for yourself if I lived in Canada I would buy it to for that price. It compares to what we pay in the US.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member

Are you speaking for yourself if I lived in Canada I would buy it to for that price. It compares to what we pay in the US.

I think what there saying is the price they pay for the pack is not worth it to them regardless if they live in US(39.99) or Canada($50).

I personally see it as if I play it its worth it. I put 4000 hours+ in to the sims 4 so if go back and play it from time to time its worth it to me.
  • Options

I think what there saying is the price they pay for the pack is not worth it to them regardless if they live in US(39.99) or Canada($50).

I personally see it as if I play it its worth it. I put 4000 hours+ in to the sims 4 so if go back and play it from time to time its worth it to me.

No thats not what I meant, what I mean is the price increase on Origin really annoys me, since they are selling it at my local retailers for normal $39.99. There is literally no justification for them to charge more then the list price online directly, especially since its not being sold via a third party retailer.
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Just out of interest, roughly how long is it after EPs are released before they go on sale? (Official EA/Origin sale that is).

Usually around 3 months unless there is a big holiday coming. They might have a 4th of July sale though, so could be sooner. Or a summer sale anyway. I suspect we will see it on sale before the end of August.