Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The downtown between updates is harming the game.

The lack of communication between the dev team and the community is disheartening. I can’t remember the last time there were actually teasers about the upcoming content?Short and even vague blog posts hinting at what’s to come wouldn’t take much effort to put out, and they would encourage the community to discuss what the packs could be and drum up excitement.

Yes, they announced 3 packs are coming out in the next 6 months. But how can people get excited about something we don’t know anything about? We have nothing to look forward too. For all we know, the stuff pack is another ‘dlc on top of dlc’ pack. They won’t even tell us the name until a few weeks before release.

It’s just sad when the forums are not engaging in anything because there isn’t anything to talk about until they decide to release a pack teaser. When there isn’t any updates to look forward to it’s hard to want to keep playing when you don’t know if any of the game-breaking glitches, bugs, and pathfinding issues will ever be fixed. New content is what keeps Sims 4 alive. What’s the incentive to keep playing when the devs go completely silent for months at a time, with no news of what’s to come?

Comments

• Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    Hold tight, friend. I heard somewhere that new content will be announced at EA Play, which is June 5th. Only about another week of waiting.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    There's plenty of threads about Tropical Paradise, hop on the hype bandwagon.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    They actually do engage with the community more on Twitter it seems to Me.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    brenleedee wrote: »

Yes. Kind of sad tbh, but I guess there's more people there.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yes. Kind of sad tbh, but I guess there's more people there.

I know, I finally made me a twitter account because of how huge the Sims community is.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    I agree. All this secret squirrel stuff has become very boooring. The only hints we get are riddles from the gurus, or leaks from game sites not based here in the US. It is very sad because this is not the way it used to be. But it is my understanding EA is not allowed to announce DLC until it is ready to be released. At least this is what has been said. (shrug) This change happened just before Sims4 was released due to new laws and guidelines that are supposed to keep big game publishers from promising things they can't deliver on. I read up on this a few years ago because I was curious why EA wasn't keeping the fans informed on upcoming content. I even went so far as to ask my accountant to explain it all to me, and I left her office more confused than when I went in. I think Maxis Monthly and Guru Garage, Twitter and the Game Changers were all put into place to help us feel EA is 'engaging' with the fanbase. But it doesn't make up for the fact we are left in the dark for months on end. When the other games I play announce new updates or DLC that are six to eight months away from being released while EA goes into silent mode about everything pertaining to the Sims franchise, I cant help but wonder what the heck is really going on.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited May 2019
    auginstine wrote: »
    The lack of communication between the dev team and the community is disheartening. I can’t remember the last time there were actually teasers about the upcoming content?Short and even vague blog posts hinting at what’s to come wouldn’t take much effort to put out, and they would encourage the community to discuss what the packs could be and drum up excitement.

Yes, they announced 3 packs are coming out in the next 6 months. But how can people get excited about something we don’t know anything about? We have nothing to look forward too. For all we know, the stuff pack is another ‘dlc on top of dlc’ pack. They won’t even tell us the name until a few weeks before release.

It’s just sad when the forums are not engaging in anything because there isn’t anything to talk about until they decide to release a pack teaser. When there isn’t any updates to look forward to it’s hard to want to keep playing when you don’t know if any of the game-breaking glitches, bugs, and pathfinding issues will ever be fixed. New content is what keeps Sims 4 alive. What’s the incentive to keep playing when the devs go completely silent for months at a time, with no news of what’s to come?

There is plenty to look forward to. At least two more years of content.

There are plenty of threads discussing gameplay. Maybe take a look at the Challenges, Stories and Legacies forum for ideas.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-stories-and-legacies

The incentive to keep playing is that you enjoy the game and existing content.

Also you may want to check out this thread. You might see something to try that you've not yet experienced in your game. :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/829244/things-you-didnt-know/p1
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

I think it’s partially because the gurus can share sims and stuff they like from the gallery without so much speculation on what it means. People also seem much friendlier on their tweets as opposed to forum posts, which probably helps.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    whimreaper wrote: »
    Hold tight, friend. I heard somewhere that new content will be announced at EA Play, which is June 5th. Only about another week of waiting.
    Wait, really? Yes!!!!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    auginstineauginstine Posts: 68 Member
    edited May 2019
    There is plenty to look forward to. At least two more years of content.

There are plenty of threads discussing gameplay. Maybe take a look at the Challenges, Stories and Legacies forum for ideas.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-stories-and-legacies

The incentive to keep playing is that you enjoy the game and existing content.

Also you may want to check out this thread. You might see something to try that you've not yet experienced in your game. :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/829244/things-you-didnt-know/p1

Thanks for the links :smile: I know people love the existing content and that’s great! I personally can’t keep playing when they are so quiet about what’s to come and we have no idea what’s coming in these two years. I just don’t see how building excitement for an upcoming pack on the forums wouldn’t be beneficial for the game instead of them announcing a pack two weeks before its release date.

If they do announce content next week, good for them! However, it still has been months of silence.

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think it's more exciting when you don't know what it is because it adds suspense, and boy do I like suspense! And now it's less than six months because almost two have passed since that announcement.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Rather sad when folks constantly need new content to stay interested in the game. The quality of game play, the seemingly endless variety of what we can do should be the drivers with fresh content being just the icing on the cake. TS2, anyone?
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited May 2019
    With everything that has been released for the Sims 4 to this date, there's lots to focus on without needing constant new releases.

It's just that Strangerville didn't add a lot of gameplay value and has been 6 months since the last EP.

Get Famous was an EP that not a whole lot of players would have asked for given the chance to decide . So our last EP, 6 months ago was a little lackluster for some. And so, yes, many players are restless and bored for good reason , even people who LIKE sims 4 :)@Oldeseadogge
    Post edited by EnjoyfulSimmer on
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    That's my point. It has been several years now since anything came out for TS2, yet I'm neither restless nor bored. The game itself provides the spark. For example, I recently built a functioning heliport complete with hangars and terminal. The sims owning it run a nice little business in the form of a commuter airline with the helicopters and a shuttle van to the 'main air port in the big town'. TS4 has been out long enough now to be in the same position, but it isn't. Either very poor planning or a deliberate money grab.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    @Oldeseadogge And yet, I can't even play sims 2, because its just too dated and has too many limitations. I did, about 2 years ago, play Sims 2 again and it wasnt fun for me. Sims 4 is very fun for me, but I do like new fresh content. And I think the difference mainly is, we are 4 years in and still no University. Thats one of the cornerstones of the Sims games by now.

Once the players have university and maybe a style like the Island paradise one, they will tend to be a lot less restless :)
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    @Oldeseadogge And yet, I can't even play sims 2, because its just too dated and has too many limitations. I did, about 2 years ago, play Sims 2 again and it wasnt fun for me. Sims 4 is very fun for me, but I do like new fresh content. And I think the difference mainly is, we are 4 years in and still no University. Thats one of the cornerstones of the Sims games by now.

Once the players have university and maybe a style like the Island paradise one, they will tend to be a lot less restless :)

That's true for me.
    I don't want to play generationally without University.
    All my sims are pretty much on hold until I get it.

I stopped progression of my main sims after Parenthood.
    I stopped playing them altogether when we got Get Famous.
    Now I just play alternative saves just to explore new packs.

I lost interest in Strangerville.
    I love the scenario I created around the theme, but I just don't feel like chatting up a scientist to get this thing, that will lead me to that thing, and the next thing.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2019
    auginstine wrote: »

as others have said they communicate with us more on twitter.

I miss the regular news on upcoming packs and the store. like how it was with the sims 3
    Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

I think it’s partially because the gurus can share sims and stuff they like from the gallery without so much speculation on what it means. People also seem much friendlier on their tweets as opposed to forum posts, which probably helps.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Twitter in general can be very toxic, but the sims players there don't argue as much as on the forums.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... To me it feels like we get new content quite often but I would definitely like to have more.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Bugs and shallow content is harming the game. Not the down time between updates. There are games that haven't been updates for 10 years and I feel completely content with them. It's the fact that The Sims 4 is boring without new stuff is the issue.
  • Options
    I quite agree. Content should have some bite to it. What we have been getting of late makes baby food exciting. Like politicians in silly season, long on promises but short on delivery.

As far as TS2's continuing hold goes: I love building and decorating, and I can do things in 2 that 4 can't even imagine. Such as a full-blown 2nd Empire Victorian with all the trimmings from period plans, or an early American farming village. The screenshots are tied to the households, which is critical to my style of play/storytelling in 2, while 4 just dumps everything into a common pot. In 2 I can have true rotational play, sims staying where I put them until I get back. Not so in 4 where they're off doing their own thing while I'm elsewhere. Crum, they run amok while I'm in CAS before launching a household. A smaller point, but with Body Shop I've got full control over what my sims wear

Yes, there are features in 4 that it would be nice to have in 2, but on balance 2 wins out easily, at least for me and my 19 or so years of playing style since day one of TS1. Everybody is different and there is no single 'right' way or version to play.

To the OP's point, EA created an environment of a certain level of communication in various forms way back when. For them to break away from that is bound to make for restless and suspicious players. We don't necessarily need, or want, heavy details. A simple 'this is what's coming soon' often suffices, tells us we're not forgotten.
  • Options
    The downtime between updates isn't the root of the problem. ( Or problems, depending on each Simmer's point of view. ) Personally, I have tried following the gurus on Twitter, I have watched a few Game Changer vods, I have read the posts in the discussions @simgirl1010 has started where she has done her best to bring us news from the gurus after wading through hundreds of Twitter posts then reposting what is relevent to the kind of news we are looking for. Bless her heart for taking on that task. I have neither the patience nor the time to do that. But even after trying to follow the gurus on Twitter, watching Game Changers play their games or build, there has been no real news on upcoming content. These Twitter postings and Game Changer vods are merely distractions. They should never be considered real news outlets.

At the very root of the unhappiness being expressed by Simmers is the lack of information coming out of the head offices at EA. The gurus are forbidden to tell us anything about anything until they are given permission to speak. And that has to grate a bit on the gurus that have been with the franchise for years. Especially when they work on new content they are excited to share, and end up being bound to silence by a non-disclosure agreement. The one and only statement they can make is they are working on future content. Well, yeah, we know that. That isn't really news, or very surprising.

While I appreciate the whys behind the long stretches of no news-worthy disclosures, I can't help but feel sad we aren't allowed into The Inner Circle of Knowledge, and kept in the dark for months on end. Since SimGuruGraham's announcement that was made on April 9th of this year, we still don't know anything about those 3 new packs he said were going to be released in the following six months. He made this statement almost two months ago, yet we still know nothing about what is coming. The excitement I felt when he made that announcement has died. RIP.

All of this doesn't mean I don't love or play Sims4. It doesn't mean I will stop playing it if we have to wait for new content. Once Seasons dropped, I have been pretty happy with the game as a whole. The bugs and irritations have, for the most part, been tamed by searching for and finding, many, many mods. I now have forty mods working in my game. These mods are necessary; they kill the bugs and put an end to autonomous actions that are just too stupid to put up with. I don't use custom careers or traits. I don't feel the need to change the basics. I use only mods that put an end to irritations and bugs. The need to use mods of some kind has been a part of playing any Sims iteration since Sims2. But it would be refreshing to have some fixes that didn't break again after the release of new updates.

This week is a short one with today being a national holiday in the US. That leaves just four short days for some kind of real news to be released. SimGuruLyndsay stated in the May Maxis Monthly that EA would not be making any kind of big announcement at EA PLay, being held the weekend of June7th,8th and 9th. IF, and this is a stretch, an expansion is set to be released close to the end of June, and four game outlets have updated their web sites so they are ready to take pre-orders for the new expansion, then EA has to make an announcement of some kind before EA Play. And this kind of speculation is the cause of our unhappiness with EA and waiting for the truth about what we can expect. We want to discuss the new content and experience the same kind of excitement we had with Sims2 and 3. We have moved beyond becoming excited about hints and riddles and long silences. Heck, I'd be happy with a small screenshot of some kind at this point. Anything, no matter how small, would be better than this feeling we are being ignored.

• Options
    Welcome to the world of a peasant beholden to your lord. We were told a while back there would be quarters with no DLC, so maybe Q2 is it this year. Rather loads up Q3 and Q4, though, instead of a more even spread. The waiting continues...

Won't say simming has been quiet, but just finished a model Ford Falcon Ranchero. Not the stripped down re-release of a few years ago but the original loaded up 1961 release. The decals even still work at 68 years of age!
  • Options
    @Oldeseadogge I haven't thought about those Rancheros for years! My late uncle collected and restored about fifteen of those while he was alive. A few family members were lucky enough to inherit one or two. Thank you for the trip down Memory Lane. And congrats on finishing the restoration! <3
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    You're welcome, and thank you. I did specify it was a model, but it still counts for memory lane as I remember when they were running around loose, and even later when they could be had for a song if one but knew how collectable they would become. When I was younger and had more space I did do a 1:1 scale 62 Pontiac Tempest. The kind that had 1/2 a 389 V8 for a 4 cylinder. Used it as a runabout until I sold it to a college buddy. Fun little car. Back in those days cars had true class, and you could tell what one was just by looking at it. Now every vehicle looks likes a Toyota, no matter the builder or country of origin. :(