Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ultra setting players : what do you play on?

Comments

• Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited May 2019
    repeat.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    So_Money wrote: »
    So having said that which specs are the mid range ones that you think will have an issue playing on ultra? Please dont back out if you intend to have a conversation @So_Money Here's my FPS :) Which is excellent to me for sure. Maybe you could help someone. My specs : i7 8750 + gtx 1060 + 16GB ram + 1TB

vAVM1zj.png

Well, I wasn’t intending on entering into a drawn out dialogue on the subject, but if you insist...

Given the parameters you have set, “excellent” must be considered peak performance. In general, a steady 60 FPS is considered to be the first optimal performance target in gaming, unless a higher refresh rate monitor is in play (which in my case it is). I have not been able to achieve this baseline standard, for many of the reasons outlined in the post @elelunicy above, which is why I described my performance results as “mostly” excellent.

If you want me to single out specs from the thread, it’s easy to see that an i3 is below what I would consider mid-range (it doesn’t even meet the recommended requirements for Seasons), a two year-old i5 is borderline, and so is a MacBook Air. I suspect that these machines aren’t capable of achieving what I consider to be peak performance.

But, of course, individual standards will vary and that was the point I was making earlier.

And average FPS doesn’t mean much to me. I average in the low 100’s but I have drops into the 40’s and that is what keeps me from rating my own performance as “excellent”.

I hope you’re satisfied with this response because we’ve already wasted enough time discussing a completely innocuous comment of mine.

It's better to expand , after you offer criticism. Rather than just say something critical and then disappear. Because your commentsuggested further conversation was needed. And actually maybe your input might help someone looking into what specs they need/want. Which is why its best to go into detail @So_Money

As far as the FPS go, mine hasnt dipped below 78 so far. But What do I know , ive only been playing for a day. There might come a time
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    So having said that which specs are the mid range ones that you think will have an issue playing on ultra? Please dont back out if you intend to have a conversation @So_Money Here's my FPS :) Which is excellent to me for sure. Maybe you could help someone. My specs : i7 8750 + gtx 1060 + 16GB ram + 1TB

vAVM1zj.png

Well, I wasn’t intending on entering into a drawn out dialogue on the subject, but if you insist...

Given the parameters you have set, “excellent” must be considered peak performance. In general, a steady 60 FPS is considered to be the first optimal performance target in gaming, unless a higher refresh rate monitor is in play (which in my case it is). I have not been able to achieve this baseline standard, for many of the reasons outlined in the post @elelunicy above, which is why I described my performance results as “mostly” excellent.

If you want me to single out specs from the thread, it’s easy to see that an i3 is below what I would consider mid-range (it doesn’t even meet the recommended requirements for Seasons), a two year-old i5 is borderline, and so is a MacBook Air. I suspect that these machines aren’t capable of achieving what I consider to be peak performance.

But, of course, individual standards will vary and that was the point I was making earlier.

And average FPS doesn’t mean much to me. I average in the low 100’s but I have drops into the 40’s and that is what keeps me from rating my own performance as “excellent”.

I hope you’re satisfied with this response because we’ve already wasted enough time discussing a completely innocuous comment of mine.

It's better to expand , after you offer criticism. Rather than just say something critical and then disappear. Because your commentsuggested further conversation was needed. And actually maybe your input might help someone looking into what specs they need/want. Which is why its best to go into detail @So_Money

As far as the FPS go, mine hasnt dipped below 78 so far. But What do I know , ive only been playing for a day. There might come a time

The drops tend to hit me in San Myshuno, often during festivals, but also when I’ve got the camera zoomed all the way out and I’m panning around. I understand that others may not be as sensitive as I am to drops, but I lose about 60 frames all of the sudden and it feels like a pretty bad hitch to me.
  • Options

vAVM1zj.png

The drops tend to hit me in San Myshuno, often during festivals, but also when I’ve got the camera zoomed all the way out and I’m panning around. I understand that others may not be as sensitive as I am to drops, but I lose about 60 frames all of the sudden and it feels like a pretty bad hitch to me.

Mine might do so as well eventually, but Ive only been playing sims on mine for 2 days because it is new. So...*knock on wood*
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

vAVM1zj.png

Mine might do so as well eventually, but Ive only been playing sims on mine for 2 days because it is new. So...*knock on wood*

Even if it does, it’s not a huge deal. Just annoying for someone who obsesses over performance like myself.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Computer Manufacturer + Model : Dell XPS 8700

Notebook or Desktop: Desktop

Cpu: i5-4440 @3.10Ghz (I want to upgrade)

Gpu: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060

Memory: 16 GB

Storage: 1T (though I'm almost out of space, need an upgrade)

How does it run? Average? Poor? Excellent? Good? : Excellent

Other notes/comments:
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited May 2019
    4SLjf6c.jpg

Cpu: Core i9-9900K

Gpu: XFX Radeon VII

Memory: 16GB

Storage: Samsung Pro 960 500GB, 1TB WD Black

Monitor: MSI Optix MPG27CQ 27 Curved

Keyboard/Mouse: Roccat Vulcan 120 aimo (love the titan switches!) & tron keyboard (as seen in picture - and yes its huge keyboard!)

Roccat XTD 8000dpi laser mouse

Extra:

Xbox One Elite Controller

Heavy Equipment Wheel, Pedals and Side Panel Control Deck Bundle for PC (great for space sims and farming!)

For those curious this is my setup and no I don't have issues running the Sims 4, I actually run it at 4k to get better screenshots (shadows are more detailed and I can zoom in better in photos) using virtual super resolution in catalyst.

I need/should? buy more ram (another 16gb) one day just for future proof I guess but in no hurry. I also need to replace my desktop case. I've been using the same one for the last 15yrs and just heavily modded the inside out (for example I now have a piece of plastic wrap covering a fan mount to create better vacuum)...but again not in a hurry...obviously lol.

This might seem like an expensive rig but honestly I'm just really good at watching for sales and deals. My mobo was a in-store combo with the cpu for example which saved me nearly $200 if I'd bought each separately.

edit/ps:

If your wondering whats with the red lighting, I game usually late into the night 2am-ish and red light is a natural light/better for your eyes. Plus it creates nice relaxing background lol.

ps...boy I really need to deal with all those cords in the back, never noticed how they all just hang back there lol...
    Post edited by TOLKIEN on
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    A ton of tech people will tell you there is no difference between playing on a SSD and an HDD,

I dont mean to be rude or butt in but I'm not sure what tech person told you this but as a professional computer repair technician I can tell you any computer tech worth their salt knows an SSD is faster than a HDD. It's all in how an SSD is built. I'm not sure what a 'ton' of tech people entails, or if 'tech people' means hobbyists, but I would be wary of taking their advice in computer matters in the future.

Just to explain this further, SSD is faster than HDD. However, only when it comes to TS4 and booting up the game alone, maybe have found it didn't do much difference unless you have like a ton of CC.
    SSD is better for TS3 since booting up that fame takes a long time.

That being said, I always like to recommend people to get an SSD to just so it could load up Windows very quickly. 😂

But apparently, a lot of people are very patient and a couple of minutes booting difference for Windows doesn't bother them.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    I have a small SSD (256gb) and a large HDD 1TB, but my computer boots up in less than 1 minute. I think its like 15 seconds? And my Sims game is on the start menu and ready to go in about 20-30 seconds give or take. The load screens in game are about 5-10 seconds give or take, with all the ep+gp/dlc included.
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    edited May 2019
    Computer Manufacturer + Model : self made from parts, I'm the manufacturer, I shall name it rainbow seizure

Notebook or Desktop: desktop

Cpu: Ryzen 5 1600x

Gpu: Sapphire - Radeon HD 7950 3 GB, though I do have a 1060 6GB to swap in I'm just too lazy rn.

Memory: corsair vengeance rgb 16gb 3000mhz

Storage: crucial mx500 500gb, though note I move my screen shots and older saves to a normal HD.

How does it run? Average? Poor? Excellent? Good? : my sims experience is bomb tbh. Anything annoying is usually a bug. Load times are fast cause ssd.

Other notes/comments:
    It would be my advice if you're limited on cash for a new pc or can't upgrade a machine for whatever reason, a ssd is the best investment you could make. It doesnt make the game actually run better but you'd notice a massive improvement in load times and start up times, it will feel snappier
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited May 2019
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    aNxuz46.jpg

Cpu: Core i9-9900K

Gpu: XFX Radeon VII

Storage: Samsung Pro 960 500GB, 1TB WD Black

Monitor: MSI Optix MPG27CQ 27 Curved

Keyboard/Mouse: Roccat Vulcan 120 aimo (love the titan switches!) / & Razer Tron Keyboard (yes its a huge keyboard)

Roccat XTD 8000dpi laser mouse

Extra:

Xbox One Elite Controller

Heavy Equipment Wheel, Pedals and Side Panel Control Deck Bundle for PC (great for space sims and farming!)

For those curious this is my setup and no I don't have issues running the Sims 4, I actually run it at 4k to get better screenshots (shadows are more detailed and I can zoom in better in photos) using virtual super resolution in catalyst.

I need/should? buy more ram (another 16) one day just for future proof I guess but in no hurry. I also need to replace my desktop case. I've been using the same one for the last 15yrs and just heavily modded the inside out (for example I now have a piece of plastic wrap covering a fan mount to create better vacuum)...but again not in a hurry...obviously lol.

This might seem like an expensive rig but honestly I'm just really good at watching for sales and deals. My mobo was a in-store combo with the cpu for example which saved me nearly $200 if I'd bought each separately.

Nice setup! :) I didn't know we could share real life pictures on the forums. I thought it was a no-no. Here's mine. I change the color every day. (Ignore the messy area).

ckcqTCs.jpg
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited May 2019

Nice setup! :) I didn't know we could share real life pictures on the forums. I thought it was a no-no. Here's mine. I change the color every day. (Ignore the messy area).

ckcqTCs.jpg

I asked a mod about this once a long time ago, as what defines "personal photos' and they meant like pictures of yourself, friends family. Instagram kind of stuff. They basically don't want people to use the forums as a facebook replacement/community and as its rated teen their is that privacy issue.

Basically don't put your face on here lol. However if the mods suddenly decide that a picture of a computer is a big no no pls go ahead and delete my post with my apologies.

P.S

Love your setup too!

Every thought of getting/making a curved desk?
    Post edited by TOLKIEN on
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Y'all talking about setups, and mine is literally a book with a thick cover and a cooling fan on that and then my laptop on that, on my bed. :joy:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @DeKay Sounds like a good setup to me! :) Laptops dont need setups! A desk is nice to have though.

• Options
    The only setup I want is a plum-bob lamp, all lit up in green sitting right beside my gaming laptop on a simple white desk , with the green glow spreading happy Sims vibes all over my living room :)
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Computer Manufacturer + Model Asus

Notebook or Desktop: Gaming laptop

Cpu: i7

Gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Storage: 1TB hybrid drive

How does it run? It runs excellently, I don’t have lag.

Other notes/comments: it has vents for the fans in spots other than the bottom where it gets good air intake. It’s a large laptop, hard to find bag for it is 17 + inches, and quite wide and heavy for current laptops, but very heavy duty, and I just use it at home. It was not cheap, but seems to be excellent quality. I bought it in July 2018at Best Buy, will have to look up the mode number when I get back on it.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2019
    Computer Manufacturer + Model : Asus Rog Strix GL703 VM

Notebook or Desktop: Laptop

Cpu: i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHZ

Gpu: GTX 1060 6GB

Memory: 32GB

Storage: 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD

How does it run? Average? Poor? Excellent? Good? : Excellent

Other notes/comments: Runs beautifully on Ultra. All packs installed.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    A ton of tech people will tell you there is no difference between playing on a SSD and an HDD,

I dont mean to be rude or butt in but I'm not sure what tech person told you this but as a professional computer repair technician I can tell you any computer tech worth their salt knows an SSD is faster than a HDD. It's all in how an SSD is built. I'm not sure what a 'ton' of tech people entails, or if 'tech people' means hobbyists, but I would be wary of taking their advice in computer matters in the future.

You can see it ALL over these old tech forums, by multiple tech people and all over AHQ. Just saying. I was told, a few times, that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said Sims 4 benefited from an SSD over an HDD.

I think what's happening is some are saying you won't notice much difference in gameplay, however there will be a noticeable difference with regard to loading times. How long it takes the game to start, and traveling to a different lot, for example.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

ckcqTCs.jpg

I asked a mod about this once a long time ago, as what defines "personal photos' and they meant like pictures of yourself, friends family. Instagram kind of stuff. They basically don't want people to use the forums as a facebook replacement/community and as its rated teen their is that privacy issue.

Basically don't put your face on here lol. However if the mods suddenly decide that a picture of a computer is a big no no pls go ahead and delete my post with my apologies.

P.S

Love your setup too!

Every thought of getting/making a curved desk?

I have thought of it, as I sit, in the corner of my desk, as you can tell since that is where my main monitor sits. But it would have to be a deal where my husband either makes the desk for me, we have it custom made, or I get really lucky and find one that will fit my needs.

You can't see in this picture, but my desk continues a bit past my tower. You could fit another whole computer set up beside my tower to the right. And my monitors are not small. The two side ones are 32in, my middle is 34in curved, and I have room (not a lot) to the left of my last monitor and a lot to the right of the tower.

Plus I have to have my drawers, I even have 2 of those plastic drawers/organizers that you can get from walmart.

I'm afraid to ask a custom furniture maker how much they'd charge for my perfect desk.

IceyJ wrote: »

You can see it ALL over these old tech forums, by multiple tech people and all over AHQ. Just saying. I was told, a few times, that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said Sims 4 benefited from an SSD over an HDD.

I think what's happening is some are saying you won't notice much difference in gameplay, however there will be a noticeable difference with regard to loading times. How long it takes the game to start, and traveling to a different lot, for example.

Well, I won't argue about something I was saying to begin with. I don't understand how my saying how I can tell and know there is a difference with Sims 4 on an SSD vs an HDD and then I get lectured for what other people have said, that I didn't agree with to begin with.... I'm done with the whole SSD conversation.

But, since you are only trying to help, I'll explain... Yes, I know there is a difference between SSD and HDD. I live the difference and have for a few years now (got my SSD in 2015 and got my first gaming laptop in 2016). I understand completely how SSD's work. And, the whole reason I said what I said (the quoted is only the beginning of an entire paragraph) was because many, many times here on the forums, when I'd suggest to a potential computer shopper that they wanted a larger SSD because Sims 4 would benefit from it, I would be told, by repeated people, that I was wrong and Sims 4 did not benefit from SSD at all, that back at base game release they did the leg work. Well, yeah, but 4 years and nearly 30 packs later (with lots of mods and CC in my case), it does benefit. So I just quite arguing, quit offering help.

I know what I experience. Which is on my desktop, with the game installed on my SSD, I go from double clicking the sims 4 icon to in my save (counting origin loading) in about a minute. My load between screens is very short (never timed, as they go by fast enough for me). While on my laptop (past laptop and new laptop) it takes (the same exact Sims 4 folder, all exact same CC and Mods and the same exact save) more along the lines of 5 minutes to load, and loading screens while traveling takes a little while. Again, I haven't times the load screens when traveling, but there is a clear difference between my SSD travel screens and my HDD travel screens.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2019
    Computer Manufacturer + Model : Skytech Gaming ST-ARCH-II-002

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

Gpu: Nvidia GE Force GTX 1060 3GB,

Memory: 16 GB DDR4

Storage: 1TB HDD

How does it run? Average? Poor? Excellent? Good? : Great!

Other notes/comments: I have a lot of mods, and a ton of cc, and my game runs smoothly on ultra settings as long as I keep my graphics card updated. I love my machine <3

• Options
    @ChelleJo I don't know why you thought you were being lectured, but ok.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Computer Manufacturer + Model : Skytech Gaming ST-ARCH-II-002

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

Gpu: Nvidia GE Force GTX 1060 3GB,

Memory: 16 GB DDR4

Storage: 1TB HDD

How does it run? Average? Poor? Excellent? Good? : Great!

Other notes/comments: I have a lot of mods, and a ton of cc, and my game runs smoothly on ultra settings as long as I keep my graphics card updated. I love my machine <3

Yup, we have the same rig, lol. I love mine too!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    My setup is a shared DIY ikea desk with my husband. I do want to get my own desk for the other side of the room but for now I have a lizard tank in that spot. Maybe one day and then I can finally get another monitor.
    39922585500_9bbcff4c24_c.jpg
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Computer Manufacturer + Model : self built

Notebook or Desktop: desktop

Cpu: i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5 ghz with a pretty hefty cooler (noctua air cooler, I LOVE it!)

gtx 1070

Memory: 8gb Corsair 1600

Storage: 500gb samsung ssd

How does it run? Pretty good. My monitor is only 59hz, I think that means it can only display 59 FPS. I notice screen tearing every once in a while (Vsync is off). But besides that I don’t visually notice many frame rate drops or anything. My load times aren’t too bad.

If I set Origin to show FPS I have a range of the 60’s-129 during gameplay. If I’m not moving the camera much (like playing a sim on 1 floor in a house) I have 88-108 FPS. If I zoom all the way out and play my FPS goes as low as 52.

I believe some objects, like stairs surrounded by certain lighting cause frame rate drops, but just statistically, I don’t notice it while playing.

I experience things like simulation lag and teleporting from time to time. But idk if that’s my computer or the games design and bugs.

I wouldn’t put too much weight on people posting FPS numbers as recorded by a 3rd party program. A 178 max is during the menu and load screens and averages will be raised by that.

I’d also like to add, I don’t think many people who play sims are incredibly concerned about occasional FPS drops. We don’t have a k/d ratio to worry about and we aren’t flying around a bend at 220 mph. We are just trying to not pee our pants and set the house on fire while making pancakes for our toddler.
  • Options
    TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    What laptops would you guys recommend? I don’t want a desktop.