Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• Options
    Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    chluke75 wrote: »
    @divanthesimmer Thanks! My mom used to have me type up her meeting notes from back in her nursing days. She was the English scholar, but no good on a computer. Maybe a little bit rubbed off on me from that. Math was actually my better subject. And good thing too, since the teacher's curse was right, and I do use it most every day. :D

What I find EXTREMELY amusing is the admonition from my teachers in the past re: why we learn math ... "You won't have a calculator everywhere you go ... " UMMM hello???

You're not wrong. Math is misunderstood; it's a creative philosophical discipline being presented as a series of plug-and-chug problems. (Lockhart's Lament!) At earlier levels, math allows students to practice solving problems in a context where failure shouldn't affect their lives. (Can't factor this polynomial? It's ok, you still have friends.)

At higher levels, math becomes a way of life and a spiritual practice. Sure, it looks like jargon, but if you've been exposed to more ideas about uncertainty and how things change over time, it's easier to process/communicate uncertainty and how things change over time. It's a lot like writing. You learn the language first (e.g., what it means for something to be 'linear' or 'continuous'---not numbers), then put individual concepts together to create something new. It's upsetting how effectively the education system takes all the soul out of the discipline.

As a math teacher, I completely agree. Math is mis-taught in many classroom. And kids are never told why any of it is helpful. I was told I needed math to get a job and the calculator thing, too. As a kid, both of those sounded stupid. I've never told my students such nonsense. I tell them that they need to be able to problem solve, to think logically and creatively in order to figure out a solution no matter the situation. Sometimes they'll have a good solution and other times they'll have to go back to the drawing board many times, but the important thing is to have the confidence to know you have all the tools you need right there inside of you. That's why you need math. I haven't had a student yet who didn't think that was awesome or who hasn't risen to the occasion. My curriculum is not easy (it's pretty demanding), but it is the most hands on class with more creative projects than any other class in the school. The heart of math is exploring concepts like a philosopher or an artist not just answering operations like a robot.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Qnshr5 wrote: »
    @divanthesimmer Thanks! My mom used to have me type up her meeting notes from back in her nursing days. She was the English scholar, but no good on a computer. Maybe a little bit rubbed off on me from that. Math was actually my better subject. And good thing too, since the teacher's curse was right, and I do use it most every day. :D

What I find EXTREMELY amusing is the admonition from my teachers in the past re: why we learn math ... "You won't have a calculator everywhere you go ... " UMMM hello???

You're not wrong. Math is misunderstood; it's a creative philosophical discipline being presented as a series of plug-and-chug problems. (Lockhart's Lament!) At earlier levels, math allows students to practice solving problems in a context where failure shouldn't affect their lives. (Can't factor this polynomial? It's ok, you still have friends.)

At higher levels, math becomes a way of life and a spiritual practice. Sure, it looks like jargon, but if you've been exposed to more ideas about uncertainty and how things change over time, it's easier to process/communicate uncertainty and how things change over time. It's a lot like writing. You learn the language first (e.g., what it means for something to be 'linear' or 'continuous'---not numbers), then put individual concepts together to create something new. It's upsetting how effectively the education system takes all the soul out of the discipline.

As a math teacher, I completely agree. Math is mis-taught in many classroom. And kids are never told why any of it is helpful. I was told I needed math to get a job and the calculator thing, too. As a kid, both of those sounded stupid. I've never told my students such nonsense. I tell them that they need to be able to problem solve, to think logically and creatively in order to figure out a solution no matter the situation. Sometimes they'll have a good solution and other times they'll have to go back to the drawing board many times, but the important thing is to have the confidence to know you have all the tools you need right there inside of you. That's why you need math. I haven't had a student yet who didn't think that was awesome or who hasn't risen to the occasion. My curriculum is not easy (it's pretty demanding), but it is the most hands on class with more creative projects than any other class in the school. The heart of math is exploring concepts like a philosopher or an artist not just answering operations like a robot.

I am ready for your class <3 I want to sit in .. maybe I would have liked math better with that vision in my mind
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member

I am ready for your class <3 I want to sit in .. maybe I would have liked math better with that vision in my mind

Count me in! My brain simply could not understand Maths, but if I went back in time, I would've pushed myself a little more to be better (not only in Maths, but all the other subjects). When I graduated high school, my marks were mostly average and unfortunately you need distinctions to get into University here in South Africa (so the "you need it to get a job" was mostly true). The biggest problem was that I did bad in subjects that were related to my future job, like Engineering Graphics and Design (which also had the same concept as Maths). I then went to a private college where I was my own teacher half the time and had to do projects that I didn't even understand. After two years of studying, I graduated and took some time to focus on my driving and get my driver's licence and I failed numerous times, wasting another year of my life. Now, I am unemployed and have no idea where I'm going to get a job (as the ones available have requirements I don't meet), but in the meantime I write and read SimLit to lift my spirits (I've had some dark thoughts not too long ago).
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member

Count me in! My brain simply could not understand Maths, but if I went back in time, I would've pushed myself a little more to be better (not only in Maths, but all the other subjects). When I graduated high school, my marks were mostly average and unfortunately you need distinctions to get into University here in South Africa (so the "you need it to get a job" was mostly true). The biggest problem was that I did bad in subjects that were related to my future job, like Engineering Graphics and Design (which also had the same concept as Maths). I then went to a private college where I was my own teacher half the time and had to do projects that I didn't even understand. After two years of studying, I graduated and took some time to focus on my driving and get my driver's licence and I failed numerous times, wasting another year of my life. Now, I am unemployed and have no idea where I'm going to get a job (as the ones available have requirements I don't meet), but in the meantime I write and read SimLit to lift my spirits (I've had some dark thoughts not too long ago).

I'm sorry @divanthesimmer Actually, I was terrible in Math as a student. I hated it. I never would have chosen it to teach, but I was assigned it because they needed someone in that position. So, I had to figure out how to teach something I didn't even understand. I decided to start at the very beginning. I got the book "Basic Math and Pre-Algebra for Dummies" which starts off with numbers... just plain old numbers (1, 2, 3...) I felt really stupid, but I actually learned a lot about Math that I'd either never learned or didn't notice. I learned at my own pace studying and practicing everyday until I got through the whole book. Then I bought "Algebra I & II for Dummies" to further my understanding (they have every subject). All that to say, this was not my natural ability, but one I taught myself. You've definitely put in a lot of hard work to learn for yourself, too. Since you're honing your writing skills, have you thought about looking in that direction? I mean if you can write and do graphics & design, that's a good skill set since graphic artists aren't necessarily good writers. Maybe online freelance work? Submitting to paid writing contests and magazines? It's not something to make a career out of right away, but could give you a start. I don't know. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I'm glad SimLit is there for you. Writing has gotten me through some very hard times, too.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Options

I'm sorry @divanthesimmer Actually, I was terrible in Math as a student. I hated it. I never would have chosen it to teach, but I was assigned it because they needed someone in that position. So, I had to figure out how to teach something I didn't even understand. I decided to start at the very beginning. I got the book "Basic Math and Pre-Algebra for Dummies" which starts off with numbers... just plain old numbers (1, 2, 3...) I felt really stupid, but I actually learned a lot about Math that I'd either never learned or didn't notice. I learned at my own pace studying and practicing everyday until I got through the whole book. Then I bought "Algebra I & II for Dummies" to further my understanding (they have every subject). All that to say, this was not my natural ability, but one I taught myself. You've definitely put in a lot of hard work to learn for yourself, too. Since you're honing your writing skills, have you thought about looking in that direction? I mean if you can write and do graphics & design, that's a good skill set since graphic artists aren't necessarily good writers. Maybe online freelance work? Submitting to paid writing contests and magazines? It's not something to make a career out of right away, but could give you a start. I don't know. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I'm glad SimLit is there for you. Writing has gotten me through some very hard times, too.

Thank you for the kind words and advice, @Qnshr5. I could certainly try writing as a last resort, lol. I have thought about this before. I'll see what happens. For now, I just enjoy writing for fun.
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    It was so much fun to read everyone's stories. I had no idea that it would be so hard to vote for three a piece. Gah. Seriously I couldn't vote for some very awesome tales. I love seeing how we can stretch the boxes were given to write in.

I'm now in the same place I was last month. I have a dozen ideas and I'm not sure which will end up on top. Hopefully one idea will keep coming up to the top for pondering. Of course if it's like last month when I actually sit down to write it, it'll be totally different.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Oh! @divanthesimmer
    You've probably looked into it, but with writing, graphics design, and stuff have you looked into user experience? It's more on the psychology side of design which might not be your thing. But it's what I do and I'd def be open to talking more if it's of interest. The world can always use more user advocates.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @lisabee2 Okay, I got my votes in. I wasn't sure if midnight meant 12:00am PST (which according to Google is in a few hours) or if you meant 11:59pm PST. I wanted to play it safe. I had a deluge of stuff fall on my plate right over reading and voting time, so I'm still hoping to give more comments, because there were so many great stories. :)

Thanks again for putting this together.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Oh! @divanthesimmer
    You've probably looked into it, but with writing, graphics design, and stuff have you looked into user experience? It's more on the psychology side of design which might not be your thing. But it's what I do and I'd def be open to talking more if it's of interest. The world can always use more user advocates.

Thank you, @ra3rei! The thing with me is Engineering Graphics and Design is more related to mechanical and architectural design. I'm more interested in the architectural part. I've studied Computer Aided Draughting, which includes programs like AutoCAD and Revit. The problem is mostly that I don't have actual work experience and I think most companies want to hire people who can start working immediately without extra training. They also seem more interested in candidates who have degrees - I only really have certificates that indicate that I completed the program. But I'll just keep trying to look for work and if I don't get anything, I might have to either do other type of work or study further and look again. Thank you all for the advice.
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    @lisabee2 Okay, I got my votes in. I wasn't sure if midnight meant 12:00am PST (which according to Google is in a few hours) or if you meant 11:59pm PST. I wanted to play it safe. I had a deluge of stuff fall on my plate right over reading and voting time, so I'm still hoping to give more comments, because there were so many great stories. :)

Thanks again for putting this together.

You still have 26 hours <3

You are so very welcome .. I have enjoyed it too!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member

Hey, I'm glad you're getting some catharsis out of this! I want you to know you're not alone. Since some of the most important qualities someone can have---creativity, drive, good intentions, strong ideology---aren't easily measured by tests, so many talented people go unnoticed when others choose to focus on garbage like numbers or looks. I wish I could say there's an easy solution. There isn't. You're not going to know what happens until it happens. But you should know you have something important to contribute, just like everyone else does, even if you have to claw and fight your way against the system to contribute it. So, so, so, so many people have gone through the same self-doubt and uncertainty you did, most likely even some of your personal heroes. Please, give yourself the proper respect for who you are and what you can do!
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • Options
    Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member

This is going to make it really hard to not dox myself, but, gah, I can't resist conversations about math.

I have always, always, always loved math, entertained myself in kindergarten by writing out powers of two, would lay awake at night in my tweens deriving sum formulas, have been moved to tears, do extra math recreationally with my spouse, all those things that make strangers back away slowly. I have also always, always, always been bad at tests. Here's an example: when I was 13 (plus or minus one year? It was a while back), I forgot a certain formula while taking a test. Instead, I remembered where the formula came from, so I correctly rederived the formula, then used it to solve the problem. The teacher wrote something like "that's nice, but we want you to have this memorized" and took points off.

Hey society, guess what mathematicians don't do? Take tests. After quals and orals, your entire career depends on how ambitious and creative you are. Since creativity involves making a lot of mistakes, judging people on a system that punishes mistakes is shutting people who could have been amazing mathematicians out of the field. It makes me so salty. When are we going to start caring about the truth and stop trying to slap a number on the unmeasurable?

Great to hear you're inspiring passion in your students---I spend a lot of time apologizing to mine for complying with a harmful system that goes against my beliefs. Anyway! SimLit. Woo.
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • Options

Hey, I'm glad you're getting some catharsis out of this! I want you to know you're not alone. Since some of the most important qualities someone can have---creativity, drive, good intentions, strong ideology---aren't easily measured by tests, so many talented people go unnoticed when others choose to focus on garbage like numbers or looks. I wish I could say there's an easy solution. There isn't. You're not going to know what happens until it happens. But you should know you have something important to contribute, just like everyone else does, even if you have to claw and fight your way against the system to contribute it. So, so, so, so many people have gone through the same self-doubt and uncertainty you did, most likely even some of your personal heroes. Please, give yourself the proper respect for who you are and what you can do!

Oh, thank you for your very kind words, @Dollyllama108! I agree with everything you say. I think my Grade 6 Maths teacher said it best: it's not that I don't have the ability to do it, it's that I don't have enough self confidence. It's true - when I struggled to do certain things, I felt too embarrassed to ask for help. I just suffered in silence and it got me nowhere, but I'm gaining more self confidence as I'm getting older. There are many things I can't do, but there's just as many things I can do. I just need to believe in myself and I might just get where I want to be!
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member

Thank you, @ra3rei! The thing with me is Engineering Graphics and Design is more related to mechanical and architectural design. I'm more interested in the architectural part. I've studied Computer Aided Draughting, which includes programs like AutoCAD and Revit. The problem is mostly that I don't have actual work experience and I think most companies want to hire people who can start working immediately without extra training. They also seem more interested in candidates who have degrees - I only really have certificates that indicate that I completed the program. But I'll just keep trying to look for work and if I don't get anything, I might have to either do other type of work or study further and look again. Thank you all for the advice.

Unfortunately, you are very accurate in your assumption. Though I will say the degree is far less important if you can get the experience part down. I do not have a degree, and that has never been an obstacle for me. Its getting your foot in that first door that is the challenge, yes. Often times it can be about who you know instead of what you know. If you haven't already, I recommend focusing on small firms instead of large ones. They tend to work more closely together and therefore are more willing to put some training into people, whereas large firms are only concerned with production.
  • Options

Unfortunately, you are very accurate in your assumption. Though I will say the degree is far less important if you can get the experience part down. I do not have a degree, and that has never been an obstacle for me. Its getting your foot in that first door that is the challenge, yes. Often times it can be about who you know instead of what you know. If you haven't already, I recommend focusing on small firms instead of large ones. They tend to work more closely together and therefore are more willing to put some training into people, whereas large firms are only concerned with production.

I realized this. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the industry (except one guy who made it clear that he doesn't want to hire me), but I'll try small firms first. Thank you for the advice.
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    @lisabee2 Just curious...will you say how many votes there were when you announce the winners?
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @lisabee2 Thanks for the info. I'll know better for next month, though hopefully I won't be so pressed against a wall in June.

Jumping in on the math conversation...

I love math! I'm a teacher as well, though I just substitute, and I love when I get opportunities to make math less scary-looking for kids who dislike it. One of my favorite lessons was when I had the kids make their own board games (we were talking about "fair" games of equal probability), and I handed out different dice to each player in the group. Some dice had four sides, others had six, others twelve, and others twenty. The kids had a blast and a good laugh when they realized just how quickly the game got out of control when the odds were so far in one player's favor.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    @lisabee2 Thanks for the info. I'll know better for next month, though hopefully I won't be so pressed against a wall in June.

Jumping in on the math conversation...

I love math! I'm a teacher as well, though I just substitute, and I love when I get opportunities to make math less scary-looking for kids who dislike it. One of my favorite lessons was when I had the kids make their own board games (we were talking about "fair" games of equal probability), and I handed out different dice to each player in the group. Some dice had four sides, others had six, others twelve, and others twenty. The kids had a blast and a good laugh when they realized just how quickly the game got out of control when the odds were so far in one player's favor.

This would have been a lot more fun! Instead, we worked out of handbooks and had to try understand what the teacher did on the blackboard.
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    I will announce the winners .. top 3 and in this case, I will prob need to announce an honorable mention because we have been running a one point difference (back and forth back and forth) between 3rd and 4th in Veterans .. AND a three-way tie for third in novices. Today is the last day to vote .. let's see if that holds!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I will announce the winners .. top 3 and in this case, I will prob need to announce an honorable mention because we have been running a one point difference (back and forth back and forth) between 3rd and 4th in Veterans .. AND a three-way tie for third in novices. Today is the last day to vote .. let's see if that holds!

Wow! That is very interesting. It doesn't surprise me, though. It was a difficult choice and every story was good. I'd be interested to know how many votes there were overall and I know you've mentioned that you have to vote for both categories for your vote to count. Can you pick up what device voted where, since we vote anonymously?
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    right now there are just over 200 votes total between the two categories ... very tight race esp in the veterans category
    <3 anybody's game yet

AND no I cannot pick up device .. I have it blocked by cookie so there is lots of ways around it but TBH I cannot see a HUGE diversity that would lead me to think anyone is fudging ..

I did note some who had not read and voted so I gave them a gentle nudge :) .. and best that I can tell they came in to read (I know and follow my stats tightly .. this is why I run it thru my blog .. but even there are limits)

If you enter and expect support you must be willing to give support too. There are lots in the simlit community but NO one-way DIVAS here (hopefully).

We have to trust our simmers .. and I do this is a sweet sweet bunch!
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    right now there are just over 200 votes total between the two categories ... very tight race esp in the veterans category
    <3 anybody's game yet

Wow...200 votes?! I honestly didn't think that there's that many people reading the stories. That's great exposure to us novices!
    phULnBI.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Well, 200 votes comes out to around 66 readers <3 but who does not want 66 new readers?? We had 24 submit and that leaves us with 42 new outside readers.

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    AND I might add that the response was GLOWING overall .. had FAB responses from the community
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    AND I might add that the response was GLOWING overall .. had FAB responses from the community

That's great news for the SimLit community! We are slowly but surely growing. Let's hope this gets even bigger in the near future!
    phULnBI.png